• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

RCBS Chargemaster VS Hornady LNL Auto Charge

Choeppner99

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2010
El Paso, Texas
Hey Guys,

Can anyone compare the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 to the Hornady ock and Load Auto Charge? I'm torn between the 2.

Any pros or cons on either?

Thanks

-Chris

Re: RCBS Chargemaster VS Hornady LNL Auto Charge

I've got two Chargemasters and love them, the only report that I've seen on the Hornady was a guy saying he bought one and then returned it. Use the search function and you can likely find his post.

Thanks Jason. Can you give me the link to the Google Search. When I click on the advanced search, it doesn't work.

My Smith has 2 of the Chargemasters which is what has me thinking about them.

Appreciate it

-Chris

Mmmmmmmmm dual Chargemasters... *DROOLS*

Been thinking of going this path. My last reloading session got me thinking. My back was sore from leaning over my balance beam for so many hours.

I would be inclined to go with an RCBS as the Hornady unit is new and Ive heard nothing about them.

Love my chargemaster no experience with the Hornady, I've never been been disapointed with any of their products either though. One of my favorite features of the chargemaster is that it remembers any loads you want to permanently save in it's memory, to be recalled at any time. Also I have a few friends that have other digital scales and they complain about having to zero them out constantly. Not an issue with my chargemaster.

Thanks guys
smile.gif
Ended up getting the Chargemaster
smile.gif

-Chris

I was in the same boat last month. I got the chargemaster. The price for the CM was $279 with a $50 rebate. The Hornady was $229. After rebate it's the same. I went with something tried and true and has the added feature of detachable scale. Used it quite a bit now and never regretted it.

I bought a chargemaster about 8 month ago and wished I bought one 10 years ago. I am not a big RCBS fan but that CM is fantastic.

I got a CM and love it. Reloading would not be as interesting without it. I just wish someone made one that measured down to .01 grains! And no a Prometheus it not even a suggestion...as long as they cost $3000+! I wouldm however pay $700-900 for one.

Agree the 1500 is great when the electonics works. There have been many posts on the scales electronics failing.Mine went south after 10 weeks. RCBS sent me a new one 8 days after I returned it.

"There have been many posts on the scales electronics failing. Mine went south after 10 weeks. RCBS sent me a new one.."

For what they charge for those things they could send you two or there more and still make money. There's a reason those over priced "NEW, MODERN!" Chinese digital devices only have a two year warrantee!

IIRC the warranty on the 1500 I received is now only 1 year. Isn't progress wonderful?

Having torqued of some of you for my barrel 'survey' I am hoping to redeem myself with some information on digital scales and their accuracy.

My first digital scale was an RCBS Rangemaster, I thought it was the cat's a$$ so I bought a Lyman 1200DPS. Comparing the two to each other and my 10-10 I found a lot of variation. So I bought an Acculab VIC, from Sinclair, which reads to .01 grains and is lab quality. Using this as the 'master scale' I dumped the Rangemaster (which was way off) and upgraded to the DPS3. The DPS3 was not any better so I finally did the right thing and bought the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo. Finally I started to get 'similar' results between scales.

Having been a quality engineer I needed data to confirm I was feeding my boys uniform loads. I used a statistical test called an "Instantaneous GR&R" to compair the 3 scales (scales only not dispensing capability). If they can't weigh accurately they can't throw accurate loads. I do not have access to a Hornady LNL AutoCharge so I could not include it in the study. If anyone wants the excel spread sheet with the data and formulas, please PM me and I'll send it to you. You could use one matrix to check your Hornady if you wanted to.

The test consisted of ten samples weighing from 20gr to 277gr. Each sample was weighed 10 times on each scale giving me 100 data points per scale and 300 total. This test has a 95.5% confidence level.

The average was calculated for each set of 10 measurements for each sample for each scale

The StdDev was calculated for each data set of 10 readings for each sample on each scale. It was then averaged for each scale as an indicator of measurement error. 4 StdDev = 95.5% of the probable measurement error.

The Range within each group of 10 data points was also averaged for each scale. This gives a practical view of the scales variation across all of the sample sets for each scale

The 30 measurements for each sample (from all 3 scales) was averaged. This is the Grand average and is the best estimate of the true weight of each sample. The difference between each scales average for that sample was subtracted from the Grand Average and is shown as ERROR. Numbers in () indocate the Average was lighter than the Grand Average.

The RCBS was almost as accurate as the Acculab, and very consistent. The Lyman had significant variation and other problems during the test (lost zero and calibration often)
The RCBS was the furthest from the Grand Average in all cases, which means it reads slightly heavier than the actual weight by approximately .059gr.
• This may be a calibration error, I did calibrate all scales before the test though. I do not see this as a problem because it is consistent which means the loads you develop on it will always be the same.
95.5% of the time the weight displayed will be within .04gr of the actual weight which is excellent since it can only read to .1gr anyway!
• This means the RCBS unit has a very good algorithm for discriminating halves of tenths (in other words it does a great job rounding up or down to the nearest tenth).

IMPORTANT - all the scales were powered by an industrial quality power filter. You must use a high quality power filter or UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) for digital scales because any line noise ruins accuracy and consistancy.

>Avg Range - Average of the (Max - Min) of the ten readings for each sample on the same scale
>Avg StdDev - Average of the Standard Deviation of ten readings for each sample on the same scale
>Avg ERROR - Average of the difference between Grand Average and the Average for ten readings for each sample on the same scale (##) indicates lighter than Grand Average
>Grand Avg - Average of 30 readings for the same part from all three devices - best estimate of 'true value' (central limit theorem)
>*2 - 2 times the StdDev indicating that most (95.5%) readings will be this much plus or minus of the actual value
>*4 - 4 times the StdDev indicating the overall band of error for 95.5% of the readings

Lyman 1200DPS
-------- Average .. *2 ... *4
Range .. 0.140
StdDev.. 0.048 .. 0.096 . 0.191
ERROR ..(0.048)

Acculab VIC
-------- Average .. *2 ... *4
Range .. 0.034
StdDev.. 0.013 .. 0.025 . 0.051
ERROR .. (0.010)

RCBS Chargemaster
------- Average .. *2 ... *4