• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend me a portable drill for case trimming/prep functions

milspecnsn

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
Hi All,

Have not had a need to own one of these before this. What type/brand/specs portable drill would you all recommend for taking care of case prep functions(trimming with a WFT or Lee cutter - appx 1,000 cases at a time max). Outside of using it for case prep, I'd have very little usage for it. Looking to spend appx $100 or less? Not sure of "power rating", chuck size, battery type Lithium vs Ni-Cad, etc. Specific name brand and model would be greatly appreciated if possible to help with my purchase.

Thanks

I would recommend the Dewalt 12v lithium drill. Check out prices on Amazon

With 30 yrs. hands on, in construction, I'd go Dewalt 18v 1/2 in chuck with 2 batteries. I have 2 that are 12-15 yrs. old and still going. Batteries don't last that loNg, though. Milwaukee is good, too. Just don't get a ryohbi.

Last edited:
Outside of using it for case prep, I'd have very little usage for it. Looking to spend appx $100 or less?

This is the key... you don't need torque...so voltage is pretty much irrelevant. 1/2" chuck is unnecessary.

Personally, I would buy the cheapest tool on sale I could find- with at least a couple of good batteries.

Batteries are where the money is on these, the mfg's practically give away the tools to sell you the batteries. Li-Ion's can go for $75 and up.

Anything, with a couple of decent, fully-charged batteries, should get you through your 1000 rounds (though that's WAY more than I would ever care to prep at one time!)

Honestly- if you have no other use- why not use a VSR corded unit? You can pick up a cheap one at HF and use the savings for reloading!

Ditto Wanna's comments. You're not driving screws through 2X4s. I have a small Dewalt 12V. Came with two batteries and will easily trim 1,000 cases, doesn't take up half the bench or weigh a metric ton.

Why Dewalt? The smallest and least expensive in the group I was considering.

Dewalt is hard to beat as far as cordless tools go. Lithium batteries will last several times longer. They will pay for themselves. Just don't let any cordless batteries freeze or cook in your truck or it will zap the life lithium or not...especially freezing.

I'm in the same boat. My makita is 11 years old and the batteries just won't last very long. Probably go dewalt this time.

A good corded drill is portable and never needs batteries. Small drill presses can be had new for under $100 and can be carried with one hand to stow and get out.

Before you buy a cordless, take a look at replacement batteries. They are great is you need them and use them often and I own a lot of them but for occasional use, usually in the same spot indoors, I would pick another tool.

Ditto Wanna's comments. You're not driving screws through 2X4s. I have a small Dewalt 12V. Came with two batteries and will easily trim 1,000 cases, doesn't take up half the bench or weigh a metric ton.

Why Dewalt? The smallest and least expensive in the group I was considering.
+1 on that
I just got one 12V to attach to my 21st century neck turning lathe , an could turn a lots of cases
and it comes with extra batteries as well

I use a 1/2" DeWalt with a keyless chuck. I threw away the chucking adapters. I just chuck the cases straight into the keyless chuck. I'm using a Don Neilson "Pumpkin" neck turner. Best of the 4 others I have had.

The 1/2" DeWalt is not cheap. But it's well worth the money.

Good luck,
Victor

I like my DeWalt 18V but after handling a Bosch 20V I would do it differently. The Bosch is much stronger, half the weight and has more battery life. And it feels higher quality.