• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Recommend me a target stand for punching paper

Franko

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 19, 2018
Southern California
I need to do some load development on paper targets and the wind has been interfering with that. Can anyone recommend a stand I can use for paper targets that is going to be able to handle the wind? I shoot at public ranges so the stand has to be portable and relatively easy to manage. I'm not really sensitive to price but don't like wasting money either.

Thanks.

I made a 1-1/2" diameter PVC plug-and-play set, tall or high depending on distance, marine boat cleats to stabilize the frame that sits in footprints of 6" polymer drain covers that the tubes inset into via some scaffolding polymer base (all Home Depot stuff for pennies), heavy duty rubber bands connected to C-clips for easy target changing. IF you clip a tube (900 meters 16" 7.62) it's $2.99. Most targets have a brown side and a white side, shoot the white side, easier to see in cameras and spotting scopes especially 5.56. The larger backing cardboard is a HD packing box, "grande" size for ~ $5, really helps to see wayward hits in wind at long distances. A simple tool bag carries all the gear; put stakes in 4" pvc tube with screw cap (shown next to tool bag).
DSCN2006 copy 2.JPG
DSCN1928a copy.jpg
DSCN1930 copy.JPG
DSCN1931 copy.JPG
DSCN1935a copy.jpg
DSCN1938 copy.JPG
DSCN2474 copy.JPG
IMG_4400 copy.JPG
Joe takes out target frame photo 2 copy.JPG

Check out the TargetMeister stand. I use it at my range and it withstands wind and bad shots. Just build the frame w/ 1 x 2's from Home Depot. I built my frame using small hinges (and using a pin or bolt to keep the halves from folding) so I could fold it to fit my SUV's back cargo area better. PM me and I'll send photos of my build, with measurements. https://targetmeister.com/

Reactions: Storm Bringer

Don't mess around. Heavy enough to be steady in the wind, light enough to not be a total pain to move on the line. Packs flat, and they're running a 10% off sale atm.

Jesus, order something large from amazon or ebay, lean the box on a T post and be happy. Or go get a project backer board, the plastic carboard stuff. They fits great in between electric fence insulators on electic fence posts. Total investment $30 and every piece is replaceable for $5 or less.

It's a public range so the setup has to be a little more put together than some of the suggestions. Thanks for the suggestions so far though.

The bigger the target, the larger the sail.

What type of accuracy are you trying to achieve?

If you're trying to shoot 5-shot .235" bug holes with .22lr in windy conditions any target deflection impacts data.

Take a pallet and two t-post drive one on each side and wire it to the edge. Then I just buy the big white sheets of paper from DG or Walmart and staple do it they make one that’s like card board staple that up there and draw little circles on it and viola you can shoot 300 groups on it.

The bigger the target, the larger the sail.

What type of accuracy are you trying to achieve?

If you're trying to shoot 5-shot .235" bug holes with .22lr in windy conditions any target deflection impacts data.
I am looking to do load testing and development for centerfire rifles, 7mm RM at the moment. So a little wiggling is ok but less is better. At the moment looks like a stand and a low height target is going to be the way forward.

Or you can set square wood post in five gallon buckets of concrete and screw osb board on them then make two 2x4s as a brace on the back between the posts if you please.

With a wood or metal base, having holes in it that you can run 6" or longer lag bolts into the ground with a cordless drill/driver makes for a quick and solid setup.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
Find an old pallet in the scrap pile somewhere and screw two 2x4 legs on the side.

I make up several stand posts including spares, from pieces of 2 or 3 feet of 2X2 wood. Drill into base and use an old carbon arrow or crossbow bolt or golf shaft.
Packs well for trips.
Seat one in the ground, move over and seat the other.
Staple coroplast or Amazon.

Field-Stand.jpg

Last edited:

Put some concrete or something heavy in the bottom pipes

get 2x2's and make a stand the width and height you want. I then take Eye Hooks and screw three on both outsides of the 2x2 legs. I take 4' rebar and pound them into the ground and slide the eye hooks attached to the target stand over the rebar.

It's simple, saves on space from those dumb wood or metal stands. this is simple and easy, don't forget your hammer

I tried to go with the TargetMeister stand because I shoot at a public range and the public can't hit the broad side of a barn unless it's your target frame... But since the Covid supply chain issue has put TargetMeister out of business I think I'll just build one out of PVC pipe and coroplast.

Thanks all.

Go to Home Depot or wherever and get Coroplast. It's plastic cardboard. I have two targets that have been in all Michigan weather for years and it takes a beating. I built mine out of 4x4, then use cap nails, the ones with the large plastic washers to hold the coroplast on.

Surveyors stakes.
You should be able to pick up a bundle of 3-4 footers at homie de-pot for cheap.
Space them as wide as the targets, drive them into the ground (they already have a sharpened end) and staple the targets to them.
Bonus, if having a campfire they make great kindling.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
RJfTNsnl.jpg

or if you want a little more

1644771032892.png

we used all 2x4 's and the joints and fasteners we got at lows hardware in all about 60.00 + plates instead of chain we also used old fire hose obtained cheap from local fire house best of luck with what ever you do , buy or build .

I have been using these and are very happy with them. The 1x2s are held in by spring tension. They are light , not bulky and easy to transport. It is the one on the right. They come in a two pack.
Target stands

IMG_4873.jpeg

Reactions: acudaowner
Cheap wire target holder from Rural King. I get coroplast from the local sign shop.

reversa_52_in_metal_target_stand_rts52-1s_bracket_1.jpg
reversa_52_in_metal_target_stand_rts52-1s_.jpg

Reactions: sht4brnz
I bought a big steel target stand that has a big center stake you step into the ground. Actually works very well and I've had it out in some awful conditions. Challenge Targets makes a similar one called the Hurricane Stand.

Found it, it's a NEVCO Drive In Target Stand.

I made target stands from a 2x4 and furring strips. The 2x4 cut in half, joined at one end with a carriage bolt, then drilled a hole and squared it off with a chisel so the furring strip fits in it. When expanded and the strips placed in it stapling a USPSA target holds it all together.

cheap, takes up little room in the corner of the garage, will fit in a trunk of a car

Attachments

• 0607CF0A-BCEC-4BE5-ADC6-129E1A1C035E.jpeg
    0607CF0A-BCEC-4BE5-ADC6-129E1A1C035E.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 79
Load up in a few months when all the idiots start putting signs out to try and get the idiots to vote for them. They work awesome and you just leave the one that’s the least of the idiots 😜

Tried a new 4x4 ft white backstop today; shooting KAC SR-25 14.5 " ACC Leupold Mk8 1.1.-8x @ 400 meters, round is still +2000 fps @ range. Thrifty board,4x8 ft cut in half @ Home Depot, so $8 each which translates to 4 rounds of 7.62 M118LR 175gr! Easier than the brown cardboard grande size I have been using. Target camera has no problem identifying wayward rounds. Note that white-on white-on white with low angle winter sun is not easy to see thru the scope; next time highlight the target edges with orange trim.
IMG_2250Cracker Swamp KAC SR-25 4th Session RMR at 50 Meters and 400 Meters Chris D 02.26.22 c...jpg
IMG_2258Cracker Swamp KAC SR-25 4th Session RMR at 50 Meters and 400 Meters Chris D 02.26.22 c...jpg
IMG_2261Cracker Swamp KAC SR-25 4th Session RMR at 50 Meters and 400 Meters Chris D 02.26.22 c...jpg
IMG_2244.jpg

Reactions: Franko
Get one 10ft piece of 1/2" rebar. Cut in half.
Build an "H" out of scrap 2x4.
Drill 2 holes through center 2x4.
Set rebar through the holes and beat into ground. Add cardboard backer.
Solid for wind, portable. $10 investment.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
For a larger target, I’d recommend a collapsible clothing rack. Discount store had ‘em for twelve bucks. Extend one side to full height (5 ft), clip on a cardboard backer and drag or carry down range (weighs less than 5lbs).
Once in place lay a block of wood or a sandbag on the base to stabilize.

If picking it up after each use and/or flexibility:

MTM Case-Gard Jammit Target Stand​

+

USPS medium mailer rectangle box

Mine is PVC pipe. I made the legs out of PVC pipe too, fill them with something heavy and cap them. Use a big square of cardboard and some gorilla tape to hold the frame together. I have shot out a lot of card board backers on mine so far, without managing to shoot any of the PVC in half.

Campaign and real-estate signs work well... very portable and cheap. However they may need some add'l support when it gets breezy. And if they're from Libtards.... winning. :D

Reactions: FuhQ
Campaign and real-estate signs work well... very portable and cheap. However they may need some add'l support when it gets breezy. And if they're from Libtards.... winning. :D
I used to use them almost exclusively when I was growing up. And yeah the wind gusts kinda sucked. We didn't have a lot of money, but we found usefulness in useless things. And being that they make great FREE target holders, those signs are actually more useful then the people who's names are on them...And the entire bloated bureaucracy itself.

Fabricated a 1" margin reduced target that could be used for highlighting the margins of a standard silhouette target. Will be using it @ 500 meters next week for KAC 14.5" ACC SR-25 engagement. I am hoping this will improve the target visualization thru the scope.
IMG_2296IDPA Standard Target with Orange Outline for Long Range Shooting 03.05.22 copy.jpg
IMG_2298IDPA Standard Target with Orange Outline for Long Range Shooting 03.05.22 copy.jpg

https://www.metalmasters-targets.com/backers-stands/ These guys make an awesome foam backer that's super light, weatherproof and good for thousands of shots of .223. We're going to be testing one out using a bunch of calibers up to .338 lapua.
The foam might be a bit pricey but should last for a while and can be left outside. I opted for building a 1x4 stand for about $30 over the metal stand.
backer-and-stand-metalmaster.jpg

Reactions: Franko