• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendation request for shocks on my pick up truck

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
I know this is a little ways away from twist rate, caliber, etc but I would appreciate any guidance on replacement shocks for a 2006 Dodge 3500 dually.

The last two sets I have purchased haven't lasted more than30-40k miles and that seems low to me. One set was what a dealer put on and the other was an "oem" style shock from one of the local parts stores.

The truck gets used pulling trailers and getting loaded down with all sorts of stuff in the bed so its not a princess. I dont need a plush ride so something on the more capable side would be better. There is one of those big steel "deer catcher" bumpers on the front which adds a lot of weight.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Taylorbok
Have 230k on a set of bilstein’s and still going.
I'm gonna tell you right now, you may be fine with the ride, but you're ready for new shocks.

O.P. like many have stated, Bilsteins are always going to be the best bang for the buck.

I currently have Bilsteins on my truck...I got them for what could be considered a swinging deal.
That being said, I would never buy them again.
I've had vehicles with Koni and Boge Mulholland, Penske and King....and about everything else out there.

The only ones I could ever recommend for a non race vehicle.
White KYB gas adjusts, all day, every day, and twice on Sunday.
Vastly better valving, not ultra high gas pressure to fill out some selection form and they last forever.

I've run Bilsteins from factory for 100k miles. Best truck shocks I've ever had. That being said it's 1/2 ton so no experience with 1 ton.

I've had horrible luck with parts store shocks in the last few years.

Bilstein is my go-to for "cheap" shocks. If you spend more you can go to a serviceable shock. This is why Fox and Kings are expensive. You call pull them apart yourself with a few tools and a nitrogen bottle. Change valves, shims, and nitrogen pressure.

I got into it after paying $500 to have my snowmobile shocks serviced and being very unhappy. Now I can replace the $18 in service parts (seals and shock oil) and not pay $125 to someone else for every single shock.

I have had Bilstein 5100 on my Dodge 3500 for years now. Great upgrade. Pair them with sulastic shackles for a really noticeable ride improvement.

if you can justify the price of King's do that. Otherwise I've also been happy with the Bilstein 5100

Bilstein 5100s sound right for your application. They ride great and last long. Just be sure to mount them with the Bilstein logo up side up. They ride rough as a cob if you mount them up side down.

Reactions: Makinchips208
Bilstein for a cheap option. Fox or King for the next step up. The fox and king shocks are rebulidable too

Bilstein 5100s sound right for your application. They ride great and last long. Just be sure to mount them with the Bilstein logo up side up. They ride rough as a cob if you mount them up side down.
mememe_3d8fdf8e0ecaaecf9890c61cae9df4a3-1.jpg

Thanks again.

Some of the more expensive options are probably not what I feel comfortable spending. The truck has over 200k miles on it and needs a lot of work. You know.... the drivetrain seems to be doing well but everything else is falling apart.

Tach works only part of the time, side mirrors dont heat or move, driverside window motor struggles, tail gate either wants to stay up or down but not when you want it to be up or down and one particular bull always seemed to use it as a scratching post.

I think its down to the KYB or Bilstiens.