• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Redding neck sizing depth, 338LM

BruteNasty

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2013
I’m fixing to order my first set of Redding dies (been using rcbs) for my 338lm and am having a hard time deciding between the s type and the competition set. Seems that the difference is a micro adjustable neck sizing die in the comp set. My question is, do you not want to size the whole neck? If not about how much do you size (where to start?) and how do you tell if you need to size more or less of the neck? Is it necessary to have micro adjustments for that?

First off, seems like you are caught in the Redding web of redundancy.
Even though it is not a hard question, it's tough to give an answer.
Do you want to FL size with a body die, then treat your necks? <This is what you need to do with the comp set or type s neck set.
You're coming off an RCBS set of dies, was your accuracy acceptable? Where did the notion of partial neck sizing come from?
Just say from after the first firing on, you do a partial neck size with a slightly smaller bushing to set neck tension and you are doing 80% of the neck, never touching the bottom 20%. Unless you turned a slight skim pass on the necks and cut into the shoulder, just from firing and brass flow, you are going to end up with a goiter in the neck-shoulder junction that keeps getting bigger in diameter and you may not be able to chamber the brass after a few firings.
It would take me an hour to blah, blah, blah you to death.
That comp set may make ease of setting the depth easier, but it is negated by the pain in the ass it is just changing bushings. It offers no more functionality over the type s.
I would buy the Type S Match Full Length die set, then if you want to mess with necks further, add the type s neck die stand alone, the cost here will be around the same as the comp set. With type s dies, it's easy to remove the decapping rod if you are treating primed brass.
I do not neck size anymore, but I have the capability to just neck size every case I shoot. I mess with neck tensions more than most so neck dies are important to me.

Edit: I think the comp neck bushing die is kind of a gimmick. My reasoning being, in 1K benchrest shooting, 2 of the top cases used are 6Dasher, and 6 BRA, try find this die in those 2 offerings. If it was that significant of a product, would it not have been offered by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: spife7980