• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading die question (6.5x47)

Johnny Crash

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2018
So I find my self FINALLY getting my feet wet in the reloading world. I’ve shot long range since the early 2000s and my days in the sand box but I’ve always shot factory loads for time and equipment reasons.

As of late I’ve started to tune a round for all my big boy rifles. First and foremost, my 6.5x47 Deviant.

after working up a median round of info I scavenged from the internet and some test shots, I found a round it likes.

130 Gr. Berger Hybrid
36.2 Grains of Varget
CCI 450s
Once fired from this rifle Lapua brass
2.8 OAL
2860 FPS average with an extreme spread of 19

now here’s where the dies part comes in. After work on the load and tweaking the seating depth. I’ve found for this Berger, it likes an OAL of 2.8”

Problem is, my dies don’t want to cooperate. I’m using a newer RCBS single stage press and Redding Type S match dies but for what ever reason, I’m not getting consistent seating depth. To the point that in order to achieve my 2.8 OAL which this rifle very much likes. I back my die way off and work it down, checking it with my calipers every time.

So I was checking out the new match master dies from RCBS and thinking about picking those up. I can get them pretty cheap but I’m bot sure if there’s anything else out there.

Attachments

• A7A5AFB7-7B7D-43FD-8A0E-0B2422802E52.jpeg
    A7A5AFB7-7B7D-43FD-8A0E-0B2422802E52.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 34
  • E894834E-CF97-48FC-AF50-A0EF23B45384.jpeg
    E894834E-CF97-48FC-AF50-A0EF23B45384.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
Go into your bullet box and measure the length of ten bullets with your caliper. Not rounds, just the bullets.

Now think about this.

Your seating die was set up for one bullet at a certain length. When this length varies, so will your overall length.

The answer to your problem does not include measuring to the tip of the bullet, but rather from the ogive.

Sinclair and Hornady (and probably a few others) make a tool specifically for this.

Do a search here for CBTO, or head over to the reloading section and find the sticky about bullet seating. It'll walk you through the process, which is pretty easy.

I had the same problem with my Redding Seating Dies and Berger Hybrid bullets, until (on a recommendation here) I got the VLD seating stems. Berger's hybrid ogive and taper can mean that the bullet tip is bottoming out in the seating stem. The VLD seating stems solve this problem. Here's where I got mine. They're tough to find in stock, but not impossible to locate.

Reactions: Johnny Crash
I had the same problem with my Redding Seating Dies and Berger Hybrid bullets, until (on a recommendation here) I got the VLD seating stems. Berger's hybrid ogive and taper can mean that the bullet tip is bottoming out in the seating stem. The VLD seating stems solve this problem. Here's where I got mine. They're tough to find in stock, but not impossible to locate.

I will have to try to find that. Thank you!