• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

remington 308 tacticle reload questions

losthelegend

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
South Western Wyoming
OK! I have now purchased a base rifle and am ready to begin reloading for it. I have a Remington 700 tactical with a 20" barrel and a 1/12 twist. I plan on breaking in the barrel with some ammo purchased at the local gun shop, any suggestions of brand or weight? What works for you guys with these rifles? The rifle should be here next week and am getting everything that I need in order. What weight of bullet should I shoot, what powder should I use and what is a good starting weight? What brand of primer and brass are you guys using? I will be shooting at approximately 6500-7500 ft and temps between -20F and 90F. I am fairly proficient in reloading but still have alot to learn. If I am doing something that you guys think is wrong please feel free to chime in. I have done a search and havent found anything specific. I really appreciate your guys time and advice. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Re: remington 308 tacticle reload questions

The load I use in my tactical is 44.5 grains varget, winchester brass, 175 smk, and winchester primer. Loaded OAL 2.825"

This load has worked in at least two remington tactical's that I know of with excellent results and both rifles are right at 2550 fps with it. A FDAC (Field Density Altitude Compensator) seen here

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2004610&page=1

It has tracked spot on for me well into the subsonic when shooting in low DA's

Re: remington 308 tacticle reload questions

I've had good results in mine with 168gr AMax's and 155gr AMax's using Varget and W748. I run the 155's just shy of 47gr of Varget in Win brass and they are more accurate than FGMM in my rifle. The 168's are loaded with just over 45gr of Varget or 44.1gr of W748.

For break in, I'd just load up some low end charges and use those. That way you have a batch of once fired brass ready for load development.

ETA: I load both of those to 2.835" which just fits in the internal magazine. The leade is ridiculously long on these rifles, but the AMax's seem to not mind the .100" +/- jump to the lands.