• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Nice stick.
smile.gif

Mine was one of the original ones from two years ago and I could not get my muzzle brake off even with a lot of heat. I just ended up discoloring it. When I called Remington back then, all the guy said was that it was "bonded" on.. I'm thinking brazed or silver soldered is more like it. I got that brake plenty hot enough to loosen any type of locktite.

Yes, sent one to a suppressor manufacturer to fit for a can and they basically had to destroy the brake.

Rem first told me it was removable.

Then second contact revealed it was silver soldered or brazed.

Anyhow, apparently a pain to get off.

Mine had locktite on it. I was able to clean the thread with a wire brush to get the remaining shit off.

Just picked one up the other day. Found her hidding in Montana. Haven't gotten her yet but got her for under $1,100. Brand new in box 2009 model (dealer said anyways). Can't wait to get her and put the new NXS 5.5-20x56 on her. I hope i wasn't dreaming. Bank account said i wasn't.
Let you know how it turns out. Cheapest place for brass still Bruno's?
Later

got mine on monday, now i have to wait till iget all of the associated parts to shoot it. put it in a HS pst026 stock,and going to sell the factory stock.

I saw 4 of them at 1 table at the Reno,NV gun show. If I had the money I would have bought one right there. Belt-feds are killing my extra money
laugh.gif

Actually going to take mine out for the first time tomorrow morning. Should be a fun day.

Well got back fron the range an hour ago. Not too impressed with the remington. Accuracy was about 1.5 to 2 moa out to 300m with hornady and horandy TAP ammo. So reloading should hopefully bring that way down. The brake does suck. Better then nothing but just a poor design. I was mostly shooting from a bench but shot a mag prone and sure enough got covered. I did have one main issue. When I put the bolt foward the pin is back(center of the bolt piece is out) but when I lock the bolt down about 50-60% of the time the pin will go foward and the center of the bolt piece is in.So basically when I pulled the trigger the first few times the trigger was already in the fired position. It will do this without rounds loaded too. To get it to load properly I would pull the bolt back, put on the safety, drive the bolt home then take the safety off. The pin would fire and then I could load the mag up and take a shot.

Obviously a safety issue that has to be taken care of before I head out the next time. I hate remington but decided to try this one out because it is a 338lm and the next cheapest rifle for me is 2500 more. So I will give this one a couple more chances at the range with reloads and after I repair the trigger.

Did you or anyone else adjust that trigger before firing it? It sounds like insufficient sear engagement or the pull weight set too light. Whatever the cause,have a factory authorized smith or other qualified smith look at it before firing it again. If that rifle fires out of battery,the results won't be good.

Just started brake-in the barrel on my new Rem 700 338 Lapua started with 91.5 and went down 91.0 of RL-25 2845fps behind a 300gn Lapua shoots 1/2" going to bed the action next. Take a look at the Score Hi brake I had one installed before I started the shooting the rifle looks clean and works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cicastol</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is mine 5 shot groups during the 2nd trip to the range,300Meter,if i don't take in account the left flyer the group is only 0,3Moa
cool.gif

tgtgfx.jpg
</div></div>

very good!

Picked one up Tuesday for $1,500.00 used but never fired. Came with a Badger 20 MOA base, a Harris S series Bipod and a set of Luepold Mark IV Steel Rings. Added a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x50MC scope. Hopefully will get it to the range soon. Pictures to follow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamafan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked one up Tuesday for $1,500.00 used but never fired. Came with a Badger 20 MOA base, a Harris S series Bipod and a set of Luepold Mark IV Steel Rings. Added a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x50MC scope. Hopefully will get it to the range soon. Pictures to follow. </div></div>

That sounds like a good deal given the extras.

Picked her up today. Mounted the NXS on here and hope to get to shoot her tomarrow. If not i will get her shooting next week. Very grippy stock. Still not a big fan of the huge palm swell but shouldn't be a problem since i have another gun with the same huge palm swell. Clip seems like it could fall out but time will tell. You can barrely tell the break is removable due to the finish on the barrel. Has a really good balance to it. Action needs to be worked a little to get the grittyness out of it. Looks bad @ss. Well check her out and give more details

So will ANY 1pc bases made for Remington 700 work so long as they are long action? I don't need anything else special aside from the 8-40 screws since most generally come with 6-40 screws? I don't need a base made specifically for these .338 rifles, correct? I have my 35mm USO and rings and now I need a good 20 MOA base to mount them all together. I know several were mentioned on page 7 but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything that I need to know about bases for this rifle specifically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So will ANY 1pc bases made for Remington 700 work so long as they are long action? I don't need anything else special aside from the 8-40 screws since most generally come with 6-40 screws? I don't need a base made specifically for these .338 rifles, correct? I have my 35mm USO and rings and now I need a good 20 MOA base to mount them all together. I know several were mentioned on page 7 but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything that I need to know about bases for this rifle specifically. </div></div>

Yes any long action will work. However if it isnt drilled for the 8-40 screws then it will have to be done and you may have to trim the screws down depending on what you are supplied with.

First, I appreciate all who took time to post here. Lots of good information. I just put a bid on one of these rifles on GB, so wish me luck.

If my reviewing all these threads is correct, lots of guys have thier rifles, but are still getting all their possibles together to shoot them. Just a few questions..

Did we nail down which base to use that is available with the #8 screws and in what taper?

Is anyone using a brake other than the FTE? The FTE looks a bit oversize for the OEM barrel to me.

Im thinking a A4 stock, does anyone know if McMillan has the Rem bottom metal inlet for this particular model?

Where is the best place to score dies and (gulp) buy brass?

Should I hold out for Lapua brass or will the Norma work?

Thanks. I would appreciate any updates from the guys who are ahead of me on this one.

Badger will modify (drill out the holes) one of their bases and provide the proper screws if you call them. They have about a 4-6 week lag on getting it to you because of the customization.

As far as muzzle break I am putting a JP recoil eleminator on mine. Uglier than hell but they work.

Powder valley is the best place to score Lapua brass. Can't directly comment on Norma brass as I have never used it but I have never heard anything bad about it.

Call Badger direct and they will get you set up with the base I ordered a seekings base the sent the wrong one and they do not come with 8-40 screws and the badgers do. I went with the Score hi brake go to the score hi web page he is out of Albq. N.M. the brake looks very clean on the barrel and works very good, I also went with the Hornady brass for the price works just fine

Thanks guys, I didnt even know Hornady made 338 Lapua brass. I am still the high bidder, at 1230 US dollars.....am I paying too much?

I bought a base from Triad. I ordered a 30mm base and he picked it up from Badger with the size 8 screws. My 338 also got a Badger bolt knob, FTE brake and reamed to 338 Improved.

Leupold mark 4 base works great and comes with both sets of screws. The brass i got from brunos was all dented and creased in on the tops of the necks. Not very happy and by the time you pay shipping i would reccommend Graf and Sons. Free shipping only have to buy 100 rds, can't just get 50 like i did. I also ordered my Redding dies from them. I like Grafs & Son. Gunna load and test shoot her in the next couple days.

Later

What's a decent price for a new one?

I paied under $1,100 shipping and all.

Anybody buying these under $1200 is getting a hookup. Retail is now $1344.14. It doesn't matter what dealer is on these as the market demand for them is pushing them up to the $1600+ range. Once they dry up again it woun't matter how much money you have if no one is willing to part with one and Remington doesn't seem to care if the demand for them goes unfilled. Remington has a license to print money with the 338 Lapua's. If I was Remington I would like to see everyone that wants one to have one.

Thanks! Not as bad as I thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: belldar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
url]
</div></div>

Your link is ga-bage!

Ya i gave it a try. Couldn't find out how to do it right last night. I know there is a thread that explains how to post pics somwhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ljm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">924.00 to the front door </div></div>

Okay I will bite. Was this a new rifle? I'm a dealer and I have bought a couple and paid more than that. A press writer might get one for that price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cicastol</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all,finally this rifle arrived here in Italy but only 90 for the whole country!
frown.gif

Tried yesterday at 300m range, after the initial scope alignment i've made a 6cm 5 shot group (0.7MOA) not too bad for the first time and without load development!

250Grns Scenar
83Grns VV N165
Virgin Lapua brass
Fed 215
OAL 92,5mm -3,64" (back 0,3mm from FB0) throat is very short in my rifle!
V0 815m/s (2673 fps)

DSC_0391.jpg

</div></div>Nice Rifle! What scope caps are those?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merc308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nice Rifle! What scope caps are those? </div></div>
Standard Meopta caps,now the meopta is swapped with a new Zeiss diavari FL 6-24x56 !
cool.gif

I just received the rail for my 700P. I went with the NEAR mfg. 30MOA rail. It has double recoil lugs and came with 5 8-40 screws. He even machined 338 30MOA on the bottom of it. He said this was "the" rail I needed to get to 2000 meters with the Lapua. I will be happy with just reaching a mile. Richard had this rail in stock ready to go. I ordered it on 4/21 and received it 4/28 all the way from Alberta Canada. I am pleased with how it fits and how fast he delivered this very heavy, high quality product.

I hope to get some break in rounds downrange this weekend. I will post some pictures and my results.

img1904u.jpg

i have an ABS carbon wrapped Rock barrel in 1-9 twist laying around. i think it will finish at 32" i am thinking about having it chambered in 338 improved and spinning it on this gun....just not sure yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cicastol</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merc308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nice Rifle! What scope caps are those? </div></div>
Standard Meopta caps,now the meopta is swapped with a new Zeiss diavari FL 6-24x56 !
cool.gif
</div></div>

Thank You

Just to let everyone know who have a AICS long action stock and a Rem MLR 338 lapua 2010 CIP rifle. It is possible to shave off/sand down or machine off part of the box mag well to fit the MLR magazine in the ACIS stock. Remember the original AICS stock does not fit the CIP mag. It is only for the 250gr bullets.
My gunsmith was able to do it and now the MLR mag fits snuggly and if done correctly no problems with feeding. The only difference is when the mag is empty you can still cycle the bolt.
The original AICS 338 mag stopped on the last round. I saved a bundle instead of buying and waiting for the CIP AICS stock.
Also it is difficult to paint the magwell back to black once sanded of shaved the silver shows. But who looks inside the magwell anyways the magazine covers it up anyways.

Shot her today. Took 1 shot to sight her in. First group had all three rounds touching so must be within 1/2inch at 100. Though that was too close so shot at the 300yrd 6 inch plate. No problem senter punching that and making a half inch hole through the 3/4 inch steel. when on the 480 yrds. Drilled both plates 5inches high from center. Then tried 550yrds (not too windy but the heat lines were crazy at midday)and aquired about an 8inch three shot fast group on the cast tractor weight i was shooting. Moved on to 600yrds, Shot my last shot at a rock i had out there. Could not tell at the time but looked later and hit the rock 5 inches high from center and broke off the top 25% of the rock. Need to work more with my ballistic program. Loaded her up with 85gr of R22 shooting 250gr SMK, average velocity of 2692. Yes light for now but shot good and will shoot the first 50 rounds at these specks for now to get more used to her and break her in slowly. When i heat my loads up some more what velocity should i be expecting? Will it make it to 3,000fps with the shorter barrel? Should i try the 300gr SMKs next or stick with the 250gr SMKs?
So far really like the rifle. May change the stock down the road and add a suppressor. I have pics but can't figure out how to post them yet. I think this was a pretty good investment.