• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Repair gouges before Cerakote

LowCountryCamo

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
Savannah,GA
I got a riffle in for Cerakote with major gouges on barrel and reciever. Owner said some smith removed barrel with pipe wrench or something. Hard to believe. Even worse, gouges are over serial numbers. Other that removing high spots, is there anything that can be done short of welding? How exceptable is Duracoats epoxy filler? I have a lathe but cannot turn over seral numbers. Thanks.

Re: Repair gouges before Cerakote

The more important question is do you have a file and some patience? I have seen maulings like this in the past and calling the animal who did it a smith is insulting to smiths.
The gouges actually contacting the serial numbers are something that will be there always. You can dull the raised portion and knock the burrs off, but of course doing anything to the serial number is a no-no. Durafill is essentially a jb weld type epoxy, you could fill in anything too deep to file out on the receiver.
When I went to CST, I finished the basics section early and had one PB (Polish and Blue) left- and the instructor put the barrel in a vise, tightend it up and twisted it through the jaws and handed it back. 'This ought to slow you down.' After 4 days of draw filing and polishing- the barrel looked like new again. SO........ let us know how this works out for you!

sorry for no posting pics and tools at disposal. I have an atlas 12, steady rest, tool post grinder, ect. Would epoxied area blend well under cerakote, after sanding, stoning and blasting? That seems to be the only option around the serial numbers.
//www.lowcountrycamo.com/images/700Repair/1.jpg
//www.lowcountrycamo.com/images/700Repair/2.jpg
//www.lowcountrycamo.com/images/700Repair/3.jpg
//www.lowcountrycamo.com/images/700Repair/4.jpg
//www.lowcountrycamo.com/images/700Repair/5.jpg

"...the instructor put the barrel in a vise, tightend it up and twisted it through the jaws and handed it back."

LOL, is that called tailoring the course to the individual?

I've used JB weld, but anything deep is worth silver soldier IMO.

That work looks more like plumber or butcher, not gunsmith.

Makes me wonder if the barrel might be twisted too. Look at the ring on it...

I woulda kicked someones ass over that crap.

One thing on the cleanup of the receiver. Maybe you could put it in the lathe and do a light filing while it spins, just to knock off the burrs and leave the serial numbers intact. prolly same on the barrel too.

There isn't a gunsmith alive that did that. Sounds like a basement workshop by the owner and his buddies. Now they want you to make it right. i would ship that pc of shit back to the owner in about 2 minutes. ATF might just call that serial number desecration a crime.

Not sure on the atf rules but is relocating the serial number to another location, possibly under the show line an option?

Jim, I see a guy standing on a 2 foot pipe wrench with the action held raw in a 40lb vise clamp. However, I agreed to help before I saw the work. So I will do my best.

As to skog's suggestion, anyone know what the law is about accidental obliteration of serials?

I've heard of people sending pictures to the ATF for a ruling if it can be moved or re-engraved but have never seen it done. The big thing was that it had to be readable before it was moved. Again it just what I've heard.

I think Ill call my local agent on Monday. Just because now I want to know for sure.