• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replies to "Thank you for your service."

I purposely do not tell people that I am a veteran. A long time ago I stopped wearing USMC type stuff. Rarely do you see camo on me as well. On occasion, during exercise in the summer, some one will see one of my moto tattoos and say it. My response 100% of the time is "Aww, it was easy. Going to college and working at WalMart was way harder." But yeah, it's very awkward.

I got drafted, did my time, crawled through the mud, 'neutralized' distant silhouette targets, yada yada, but did not see any combat. Basically, I did jack.

If a young punk (who does not have to serve anymore) would find out and say TYFYS I would make some "Aw shucks" comment would not feel awkward about the whole situation. I served my birth country (Germany) in the military while others worked in hospitals, nursing homes, etc. We had a choice of how to serve.

Why in the world is this more complicated if someone actually fought for life and (hopefully) a greater cause in some armpit of the world? Shouldn't that make him/her feel more deserving of the thanks of society even if the civilian does not get all the details?

Last edited:
On an uplifting note... during my Masters commencement on Friday, the classmate in front of me was a staff sgt. just out of the USA after multiple tours overseas... He wore his jump boots through the graduation ceremony... which I thought was great. As we were in the processional, walking towards our seats, we approached an older gentleman who was standing next to one of the chairs at the end of a row in the section for guests and spectators. Obviously a family member or friend of a graduate, the gentleman was wearing a ball cap from a Vietnam-era combat engineer unit and he had a purple heart pin on his jacket. My classmate paused... holding up the whole processional line, turned to the guy and took his hand and said "thanks for your service." Then we walked to our seats to wait for our sheepskins.

One of the most heartfelt things I ever saw. Maybe for some folks the statement or the gesture is a reflex action. But seeing those two, a generation or two apart, pausing for that one moment and shaking hands shows without a doubt that, for other folks, saying 'thanks' it's an opportunity to genuinely share a moment with a brother. Most of the graduation stuff was a blur. But that's the moment I'll always remember.

Cheers,

Sirhr

"Did you actually use your brain to formulate this statement?"

I'll use the Army's own advertising to answer that question. One ad that I see is a gun running along the rooftops in order to plant a surveying stick suggesting that the Army will teach a post-enlistment skill. Now I will say I've seen ads of SEALS coming out of the water but more frequently, it's what can the military do for you instead of the other way around.

I'm not going to argue about it. Believe what you will because I'll do the same.

To be honest, "it makes me feel bad, because of the friends that I lost, that I wasn't with."

Call me a pussy--but this thread makes me a bit sad.

In my neck if the woods, we see and come in contact with a lot of active and past military folk. Kenai is known as Anchorage's playground and head into town often for Costco runs or a match or recreate/hunt, etc on base. I don't run around singing "thank you for your service" but like many on this eve of so much active duty by those around us, I have a freshened appreciation for the hard work, efforts, pain and loss of those that serve and their families' have experienced. Folks that are not military, who haven't undertaken a line of work whether as a career or shorter commitment, that involves even the most remote possibility of having someone shoot at them or shoot other, have a renewed sense of recognition what it is that the service men and women do for all of us.

So if someone says thank you, they should be thankful, but to be pissed off or put out by it is nothing less than unfortunate. Is it possibly a trite auto response, possibly for some, but so are most pleases, thank you's, sirs and yes ma'ams. What the hell is wrong with that. Rudeness begets rudeness and I fucking hate rudeness more than most things in life--maybe not more than Mosquitos, but fucking hate it.

So, be happy with the small things folks offer, may seem trivial, even a $2 cup of coffee. Insignificant to many, a lot to some. I probably don't do it enough. Probably don't say thank you enough. Have bought a few drinks, mostly at the airport as that just seems to be the bars where I strike up most conversations. Swapped my first class seat few Christmases ago with a younger GI in uniform that looked for more tired than I.

I vote, I buy/shoot/build guns every opportunity my work allows, I fight to protect constitutional rights of friends, clients, family every day. Other than that, I pretty much just breath fucking air--as do all of us, many of whom are I fact thankful.

Last edited:
Guys whining about being thanked just sound like a bunch of OFWGs drunks at the VFW.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

No one is whining. Never been to a VFW thing. What's a OFWG?

I think Lowlight got the point right. A lot of times it seem mechanical, much like a reflex. Case in point...I was talking to a guy that was running a cash register and I guess he figured I was in the military at some point. For the life of me, I cannot remember why he thought that. Anyway, he asked and I said "yes, a long time ago." So he says "thank you for your service" and begins talking about what we were talking about again. That is mechanical. Like it was forced or something. Strange.

Another example: recently I was at the local tech school handing in my information for school (recently laid off, no biggie, hated the job, haha). So I hand him the dd-214 as requested in the information packet and as he is going though the paper work, he mentions each one by name, comes to the 214, and say, "Ok you are a vet, thank you for your service" and moves on to the next item. I guess the veterans office beats him if does not say it.

When it is sincere, that's different. Hard to explain the difference I suppose. Even my Wife has noticed the comments. I never brought the subject up to her. She just asked me about it one day and said yeah that it was awkward to be told that all the time.

I get that people are uncomfortable with, "Thank you for your service!" Around Veteran's day and Memorial day a few of my family members remind me and I am uncomfortable. My discomfort is compounded by the fact that I was a pretty crappy soldier. I made E5 after 4 years and they wanted me to go for E6 but I had to reenlist. In 1976, being in the Army sucked so I bailed. BUT, in 1970 I stood up, held up my right hand, and swore the oath and I did it again in 1972. So did most of you. I am now an official old fart (old, fat, slow, and ugly) so I am grateful that you went so I didn't have to go again. And I am grateful that my son went so I didn't have to go again; he bailed three months ago after 8 years.

I also disagree with the idea that people don't mean it. I think that they are sincere but most don't know what service means. I saw a comment somewhere that soldiers give the country a blank check that the president can cash for a payment up to and including my life. I get it. Most people don't really get it but they know that service means sacrifice and that the Constitution of the United States seems to mean a little more to service people and ex-service people and that our service was for them. I think that they are sincere but if they didn't serve, they cannot know what it really means.

Be grateful for, "Thank you for your service!" It is damn sight better that what I heard then I traveled in uniform in the early 1970's and if somebody spits on a serviceman today and if I could make my way through the crowd and if there was anything left, I would help beat the shit out of them.

I don't dislike when people say it to me, but it is kind of awkward usually. I agree with those who think that many people just say it because they think they're supposed to - it's kind of become a trend. I always assume the person is genuine, however. I also always just say thanks back.

Thanks to Tucker in the Motard thread for this Pic

To those of you uncomfortable with thanks consider this before you spit out your snarky response. They might not be thanking you.

To those of you uncomfortable with thanks consider this before you spit out your snarky response. They might not be thanking you.
Of course you realize that this makes no sense, right?!

Last edited:

Have no fear, pictures don't accurately portray a scene like that anyway. ?

To those who have and are sacrificing everything to grant me and my family the freedom we enjoy every single day......today we honor you, Thank you. Happy 4th of July everyone!!!

Of course, we spin everything to our own advantage.

Happy 4th btw!
Except that in this Thread I am doing the opposite.

And asking questions, like whether when we are half a world away, involved a fight that is not our own, with AAR results of 75-0, is what we are really doing fighting for our loved ones?

Because that's a cliche.

I already have my freedom, so I'm not fighting for that. And my family is in no danger of losing theirs: No enemy is at the gates. And my loved ones sleep safe in their beds either way, probably safer when I am not three thousand miles away....

Happy 4th to you as well!

Last edited:
And I spin to its the ideal that you are being thanked for, not the direct impact on that persons life.

WTF do you mean snarky response, this kid got that tat because that's what HE thinks not what fkn JODY thinks. Fact is most civilians don't really give a shit about our troops in general. Notice all the rapid changes and the non stop outcry about the VA killing the very vets they pretend to thank?? Civilians think we join up because we have no other options in life, they think we are uneducated, too poor to go to college, they also fear us a bit,they think we are stupid for spending our youth in the military. Men who don't serve have a little envy, most thought about joining at some point in their lives but chose a different path. How many of you heard a guy say "I almost joined the service"? My experience is that unless someone has a family member in the service or has served they really don't give a shit about vets, its part of the entitlement society. Its just how it is and I cant honestly say the disdain for vets and the military is a bad thing, the military is not for everyone.

Pay attention how vets get treated not by the fake lip service that costs nothing and is an inconvenience to no one, talk is cheap so to speak.

That being said I still highly recommend at least one tour with the Army or Marines to qualified youngsters, there is no greater honor.

Thanks to Tucker in the Motard thread for this Pic

If you really want to be thankful to vets, think back to those in the winter camp at Valley Forge,those fkrs suffered with no hope in sight and most kept going, that is something to be thankful for today because without that group we would be speaking a different accent today.

When the system replaces judgment with responsibility and structure, the result of every decision made by that system becomes a crapshoot.

Because the ability to make effective decisions must be based on a belief system. The danger is that any belief system will do.

The Nazis and the Soviets were fighting for Fatherland, for a "better" world, for a "higher" political ideal and for their loved ones as well. So are the radical Islamists - as they see it.

Sometimes, in our rush to re-state what our forefathers fought for (or against), we forget that the modern reality of warfare is irregular warfare.

And we don't recognize how that changes the game, it's trials and tests, and it's goals and methods.

Instead we repeat cliches.

Last edited:
The snarky comments this thread was founded on...

I would disagree that the public does not give a shit, it just isn't always in their minds. So when the awkward thanks come it is because they have been reminded of the sacrifices they have not made.
Empty, maybe.
Something to all bent outta shape over, probably not.

I don't see anyone on this Thread bent out of shape.

But 'thank you for your service,' without more, will never mend the disconnect. Except maybe in the eyes of someone who says it out of a vague feeling of guilt.

It's like a bumper sticker: People put them on their cars thinking that they are making a statement, but really a bumper sticker asks more questions than it answers.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is getting bent out of shape over the fakery just calling it as it is. True Graham, but our belief system has outlasted those two many times over. The latest war is a type of war we have fought more than any other, unconventional or a mix of conventional/unconventional.

Bent out of shape is this instance is not enraged, I used it in the annoyed sense of the phase. Sry, i guess i should have clarified.

The ppl giving the thanks are not looking mend a disconnect. They do not owe anything. It is a moment of reflection, thinking of something other than their lil bubble of a life.

Jerry,

Agreed. But our political system is still only a two hundred year-old experiment in democracy. Hardly iron-clad in historical terms.

And I don't mean to underestimate our experience with unconventional warfare. But I think that this new kind of warfare is giving chaos theory it's real military sense, in that it is no longer possible to separate warfighting from warmaking.

We jumped all over that idiot professor when he said that the workers in the Twin Towers were 'little Eichmans', and we did so for good reason, but the underlying strategic lessons of this point of view, one which the enemy would agree with BTW, are not to be dismissed out of hand.

We need enlisted trigger-pullers. But we don't really need that many of them. If I had to guess I would say that no more than about 1500 people are right now fighting this war by killing the enemy.

The rest are fighting it in other ways which are no less important, and quite possibly more important.

Well, as I have not had the opportunity to fight in this one (my eldest has), I cant comment first hand, but I do see the difference today compared to 3 decades ago in my time. Today we don't trust our trigger pullers to decide when to pull the trigger anymore. Domestic political considerations are being taken into account before the mission of winning and letting the guys on the ground decide how to win. There should be no more than a 7-1 ratio of trigger pullers to support, the rest of the $ spent is going to other interests. Off topic here, sorry.

The libertarian in me says that professor should have just received a asswhoopin from a family member of one of the victims (like me) and then be left alone.

On this day especially, to our vets, good job, you don't need anyone's thanks because they didn't ask you to do what you do, you just do it because you know its the right thing to do. Go Army.

Its the 4th, I am going for a leisurely ride on my Harley
DSCN4273.jpg

Then I am taking the Triumph out to beat the sht out of it today hehehee

DSCN4272.jpg

Last edited:

Today we don't trust our trigger pullers to decide when to pull the trigger.
It's actually a bit more sinister than that: Trust is given to delegate the responsibility should an error occur.

Hypothetical example: A small boy of unknown age is observed signaling enemy teams to attack a convoy. Engagement of a non-traditional target is required. If you were to call-in on that one and request permission to engage you would not get an answer other than to use your best judgment given the current ROEs.

And the Libertarian in me says that we should listen to whatever truth exists in the viewpoint of the professor and learn from it, no matter how offensive it is or how poorly he timed his remarks. I'm not sure that, in the long run, we can afford to do otherwise.

Last edited:
"You're welcome, Please Vote Responsibly." is my go-to.

It has no backhanded bitter spike to it, and gets my point across rather clearly.
The only time I have let anybody buy me stuff because I was a vet was when me and my buddies met a group of retired NYPD at Oktoberfest in 2008. We all took rounds buying drinks and slapping each other on the back for kicking ass, it was like a circle-jerk of "Thank you for your service", but it lasted for 14 hours and ended with me going home with some hot Fraulein dressed like a Disney character.

Everything I did was an attempt to pay back the debt I owed to my country.

When I think about the standing ovation I received at Hartsfield-Jackson in 2007 heading back to AfghanLand, I contrast that with the stories that Vietnam vets tell me of their encounters at airports.
The echoes of an old lady shouting that we were "Heroes" hardly compares to a wad of phlegm.

What'd be really cool is if the people coming up to say thanks would *respectfully* ask about my service. I'd love to share my experiences (the non-gory ones, at least) with theem, to give them a healthy appreciation, respect, or understanding of what people are doing in their name on the other side of the planet.

Maybe that will help them to vote responsibly and form a desire to become an informed citizen, in which case my intended effect would have a higher chance of success.

It's a win-win if you tuck in your cynical attitude and give them a professional, tactful response to their statement.

Usually it sounds like they say it because they feel they have to, not that they mean it. It's not only begrudgingly said, it's disingenuous at best. Like saying no offense before slinging an offense.

I have replied, "I didn't do it for you" but 99% of the time the voice inside my head replies, asshole. It's during those that I don't say anything in reply out loud, I fast forward past it as if it wasn't said.

There are a few who truly mean it and you can tell the difference.

Very true, that's my thought's exactly.

Cheers,

George

Local guy is vet / guard. He does tractor and gravel work for me sometimes.
He was here a while back and when he finished up all I had was 100's, but the bill was $X50, and he didn't have change.
I told him to hold it until next time and we'd square up then.

I saw on FB that he was going on vacation with his family this week.

This is how you say thanks.

ct1fYpp.jpg

Last edited: