• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replies to "Thank you for your service."

"Never ascribe to malice what can be attributed to incompetence"
Above field-grade I'm not sure that the difference between malice and incompetence means anything, because the result is the same.

I was speaking of anyone who cant accept a simple thanks
Not fair to the service of everyone who has responded on this Thread to judge the thanks they deserve as 'simple'.

How are their positions 'indefensible'?

Rudeness for kindness, how ever forced is indefensible
Changing the subject in an attempt to justify your position is cheating....even on the Internet.

Last edited:
Am i in the wrong thread?! I thought i arguing about rude responses to thanks for service

Am i in the wrong thread?! I thought i arguing about rude responses to thanks for service
Siscoe, you can't simply choose to ignore what everyone else has posted, define the conversation in your own narrow terms, put words in my mouth, and then claim to have discovered a valid moral criticism.

....Well, you can, but you being that transparent would risk offending even amateur Trolls.

I have often thanked Vets for their service and I was always 100% sincere, and it has led to a lot of great conversations. Most of the time I felt as though they appreciated it. Maybe some of them felt the way Graham and some of the other vets on here do. At any rate I'm not gonna let anyone especially some crabby old vets influence how I feel or talk to Veterans, because I truly am grateful. I go into the VFW post with my buddy and his dad occasionally. His dad is a Marine who served in Vietnam. We hang out and shoot pool and have drinks with some of the guys and laugh and joke around and I think they appreciate that we appreciate them. We often buy them a drink and talk about all kinds of things, not necessarily their time in or war stories, just what ever is on their mind. They seem to enjoy having us, though neither I or my buddy ever served. Just goes to show ya that not all Vets are assholes.

Just you cannot deem to know ones intent when they say thank you?
You're doing it again: Trying to ensure that you get the answer you want by limiting the question you ask.

Here you say 'deemed', so to accept your question the respondent has to implicitly agree to a lack of objective criteria being used.

If you know you're doing it, know that it's a technique of amateurs. And if you don't know that you're doing it I suggest reading and listening instead of speaking, as has been mentioned above.

Last edited:
Above field-grade I'm not sure that the difference between malice and incompetence means anything, because the result is the same.

It is not about the results. It is about how I feel about and respond to what just happened. I find it easier to be kind to an idiot than to someone who is out to hurt/harm me. Therefore, I would not assume that someone is trying to mock or patronize me with TYFYS. At the most I would assume that the person could use some enlightenment about the subject he just touched.

Many moons ago I sat in a bar next to a guy with a badly burned face. After, the usual chit chat I said "Do you mind me asking what happened to your face?". He did not get pissed but answered: "Helicopter crash in 'Nam". My response was "Honestly, I do not know what really happened down there. I have seen some movies and news clips but I have the feeling that this is not even close to the full story". I learned a lot that evening and I do not think he minded when I thanked him for fighting the Communist buggers as we left the bar.

Last edited:

Alpine, I understand what you are saying and I agree that it's (almost) always better to be nice than to be mean.

But the issue isn't that random people are going around mocking vets.

In my mind what's happening is more subtle than that: It's that the phrase has become a platitude that requires no thought or action by the giver (indeed it has become a substitute for meaningful action), while at the same time it requires vets to participate in a bizarre social ritual that makes a mockery of any true sacrifice.

That's why I don't say it to them: Because while I give my dog encouragement when he behaves, I don't relate to vets on that level.

Last edited:
Graham, my point throughout this entire thread is be the bigger man. I don't understand the need to create a problem with being thanked. It's seems petty. And you are right, that is my opinion. We can argue until our thumbs fall off but it won't change a thing.

Yep I am finally coming to the conclusion that Drill Sgt Dagget and Hollis were right, civilians are the lowest form of life on the planet, never to be trusted.
Weren't you a civilian before you were in the army?

Just a spot of fun, chap! Just seeing how far it could be pushed b4 it became intolerable

Yep and until that point, I was a dirty rotten, lying, douche bag just like the rest.
I never saw the military turn liars into truth-tellers. Not even among politicians who served.

If I see a CIB or some other indication of actual combat service, I have an instant sense of respect for that person. They REALLY laid it on the line. I have a friend who was in Viet Nam. He's told me stories and despite being a grim son-of-a-gun it's pretty obvious that some of the things he's done, he wasn't too proud of. That war ended before I got my turn to go and I've thanked him for doing the "dirty" work which in turn, I believe, spared me from doing so.

Anymore, there are so many people who join the military for "career development" that I believe they're only acting out of self-interest. I can't really thank them for helping themselves.

Gents, it just a simple honor to serve, the experience is great for a young person if they come out in one piece and still breathing. I don't see a need to be thanked, just left alone, and treated like everyone else, i.e. when a vet requires VA medical help he should at least get treated as well as a poor person on government assistance (I have never used the VA services even though I am eligible, my son does and has been treated very well in NYC no less). I just find it disingenuous when so many profess so much thanks and so little outrage is apparent when hundreds if not thousands of those that we are so thankful for are left to die waiting in fictitious lines at the VA while the staff gets millions in bonuses. The level of outrage and clamoring for fixes for these guys was underwhelming and telling, so please save your fake "thanks", I don't want to hear it and you probably only say it to make your self feel better deep back in your subconscious somewhere. The DI comment above was just a provoke on my part but it is standard fare for cruits to be told this through their time in the military, I find their warnings mostly true.

Last edited:
Yep and until that point, I was a dirty rotten, lying, douche bag just like the rest.
I am glad you hold 90% of this country in such high regard.
If this is the way you truly feel, I am curious as to the reason you went into the military to serve.

Anymore, there are so many people who join the military for "career development" that I believe they're only acting out of self-interest. I can't really thank them for helping themselves.

Did you actually use your brain to formulate this statement?

Never mind I think reruns of Jersey Shore are on. If I am lucky I will get caught op on the lives of the Kardasians.

Because I love my country, all fktards included, simple as that. Some things are just bigger than the individual, freedom and liberty are ones I can think of and treasure more than my own life. If you know a better game somewhere in the world where it does not have to be defended please enlighten me.

Disclaimer here, I want to be clear that I am speaking for myself and my family that always serve at least one tour, its an expected duty in my family if you are male.

For those that think people join for monetary or career rewards or you are severely mistaken, the demographic of our military puts them at the higher end of our general population on almost every level. Generally they are middle class to upper middle class and put their lives on hold to do their service.

I am glad you hold 90% of this country in such high regard.
If this is the way you truly feel, I am curious as to the reason you went into the military to serve.

Last edited:
Don't know of a better game around. Just surprised about your feelings towards society and civilians you served and fought for their freedoms.
I hope that your views are not the general consensus of most military personnel.

If I see a CIB or some other indication of actual combat service, I have an instant sense of respect for that person. They REALLY laid it on the line.
Would your answer change if it turns out that the CIB was being awarded for pounding a hillside with a few rounds from a chain gun while everyone in the back stayed firmly in their seats?

There's a difference between being drafted to Vietnam and having your life sabotaged for the sake of becoming line infantry, and being a paid professional returning fire to defend someone else's country while it's soldiers take cover in a ditch without any understanding of the country that you claim to be there to help him build.

Besides, the idea that most people serve out of love of country is a fantasy. It's not that they don't love their country, but that's not the reason they do it. So why not be honest while we're also being self-congratulatory.

Last edited:

All the standard reasons why one agrees to do anything, love of country not being absent, but it's a professional army and not a sacrifice.

So there's no real need to pretend complete unselfishness.

Last edited:
I'm at a loss. I say it, I buy stuff for folks in uniform, and I pay taxes. I'll continue to do so. I guess you can't please everyone. For everyone who's served reading this, even those who won't appreciate it. Thank you for your service.

Pretty much sums it up, the experience for later life was useful and just fun most times. Complicated looking back, at the time not so complicated though.

All the standard reasons why one agrees to do anything, love of country not being absent, but it's a professional army and not a sacrifice.

So there's no real need to pretend complete unselfishness.

I'm at a loss. I say it, I buy stuff for folks in uniform, and I pay taxes. I'll continue to do so. I guess you can't please everyone. For everyone who's served reading this, even those who won't appreciate it. Thank you for your service.
I'm starting to love the new 104K Hide... It still can't hurt to read a Thread before posting on it. But I know that's becoming an antiquated notion.

Don't suppose anyone ever thanked a Fireman or Police Officer ?

A job doesn't make you "special". The person you are makes you that !

I did not intend to limit this Thread to military service. The same goes for LE, who hear the phrase often, and other types of government service in conflict and combat.

Firemen EMT, especially the volunteer without doubt deserve respect, cops, yeah I used to put them in same category but having a hard time doing that since I started looking at youtube and facebook.

Don't suppose anyone ever thanked a Fireman or Police Officer ?

A job doesn't make you "special". The person you are makes you that !

Hey brother. Most people know very little of anything real and mostly what they watch on local news. Currently they say thanks. After Vietnam they spit on warriors. I prefer them saying thanks. No need to make them enemies. I remember all the "Free Mumia" bumper stickers and once I pulled them over I would ask who he was and what was he accused of. Less than 25% had any idea at all of the story(s)

I always waved back when they waved at me in the police car and when they say thanks for my service as a contractor I direct them to save the thanks for the military as they truly deserve it. I make sure they know I appreciate the thanks just the same. I am old broken and don't need the thanks but lived through rocks and bottles being thrown so I prefer the thanks.

Firemen EMT, especially the volunteer without doubt deserve respect, cops, yeah I used to put them in same category but having a hard time doing that since I started looking at youtube and facebook.

Hey brother about 500,000 police in US against how few bad videos? Same could be said for number of great anything to fuck ups in any profession. Cops, Fireman, Doctors Lawyers Soldiers etc

I'm starting to love the new 104K Hide... It still can't hurt to read a Thread before posting on it. But I know that's becoming an antiquated notion.

I read it, then I reread and I guess I'm not sure what I missed but OK. I'll take my low post count and just beat it. Damn you're grumpy LOL.

I know, not bashing, but that Albuquerque incident and a few others lately has me rethinking my former automatic support for LEO's, I am just a bit skeptical now, I look into incidents a little before giving the benefit of doubt anymore.

Hey brother about 500,000 police in US against how few bad videos? Same could be said for number of great anything to fuck ups in any profession. Cops, Fireman, Doctors Lawyers Soldiers etc

I know, not bashing, but that Albuquerque incident and a few others lately has me rethinking my former automatic support for LEO's, I am just a bit skeptical now, I look into incidents a little before giving the benefit of doubt anymore.

Brother skeptical is good. Looking at each incident separately is great.

I think that most people 'targeting' military personnel with TYFYS also understand that serving in the current theaters is emotionally a bit more challenging than treating patients, fighting fires, or running patrol on the home turf.

Living with the thought that you could be blown into orbit by an IED at any moment does not appear to be a small burden. Dealing with a cardiac arrest, a burning house, or even exchanging bullets with armed criminal sounds 'liberating' in comparison. In these cases you have at least something tangible to fight right then and there.

That does not mean that the contribution of LEOs, firemen, etc. is any less valuable for society but it is performed IMO at a lesser cost to the individual serving. Maybe the (to me surprising) anger some vets feel against TYFYS is part of that cost. Dunno, I am not a psychologist nor do I play one on TV.

I am honestly happy that Russia did not go full retard in Europe when I was deployable.

Last edited:
I purposely do not tell people that I am a veteran. A long time ago I stopped wearing USMC type stuff. Rarely do you see camo on me as well. On occasion, during exercise in the summer, some one will see one of my moto tattoos and say it. My response 100% of the time is "Aww, it was easy. Going to college and working at WalMart was way harder." But yeah, it's very awkward.