• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

RH'er on a SA LH

Balor

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2013
Florida
Hi All.

Looking for anyone with experience as an ambidextrous shooter. I'm right handed and shoot right hand but looking at getting into long range shooting, I do not like to move my right hand from the grip or move my check weld I was thinking since I'm ambidextrous I would like a SA left hand bolt gun.

Looking for any one with experience for some feed back.

rngr1

why are you moving your cheek weld to cycle the bolt?

there's a reason lots of lefty's dislike that the lefty options are limited

I'm exactly opposite, I am left handed but have a high degree of ambidexterity, I shot for years right handed benchrest and did absolutely fine. It wasn't until I started shooting more prone and positional shooting did I realize the awkwardness of shooting right handed. My suggestion is to try shooting prone lefty or try some positional shooting and see if it still feels like something doable. If your just shooting from a bench then to me it honestly does not matter and I would probably prefer RH left port.

I am 100% right handed. Have tons of right hand actions..

I now have to shoot using my left eye (Accident). I promise what looks like a smart idea on the bench is horrible hunting or positional.

Imagine shooting a right hand action on a barricade left handed. Most of us will place the non-trigger hand on top of scope to balance and Stabilize and help control recoil. The gun is shot, now the hand doing all the work needs to let go and go all the way back to the bolt, then all the way back and somehow regain control..

I hate it is is slow and a flipping drag.. I would sell off and switch to all left hand, but I’ll loose my ass.

See how funky it is: (from a diy barricade thread)

Reactions: Balor
That's a great example @Diver160651 and I am very sorry to hear of your accident. Sometimes you really have to get behind the rifle in an awkward position to see just how right or left handed you really are or whether and idea is a good one or a disaster waiting to happen. I still have many right handed actions, but will never buy another new (at least for myself). BTW semiautos are just as much fun for leftys... nothing quite like seeing brass fly in front of your face.

Don't get me started on scissors either...

Reactions: Balor
I am right handed and shoot a right hand rifle. I also shoot support side (left handed) often enough to consider myself quite competent at it.

Shooting with a "wrong handed" rifle forces you to surrender control of the rifle when running the bolt. Whether that's gripping the fore end of the rifle when shooting on a barricade (like Diver's video) or having to let go of the rear bag when shooting prone. It works against you for follow up shots and I'd much rather shoot the correct handed rifle.