• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger M77 243 Target Rifle

oldreliable45120

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2009
Long Island NY
I recently picked up a Ruger MK2 Target rifle in 243 Win. A buddy had it for a couple of weeks and needed some cash fast,so i got a good deal on it, and the 2 boxes of brass he shot though it. Now heres my problem? This thing soots like SHIT!!!! I dont consider 1 1/2-2 MOA at 100yrds a target rifle.
I have tried almost every bulles and powder combo i can think of. From 68 Bergers to 107 A-max.Heresthe powders I have and used so far. Varget Benchmark IMR-4350 IMR-4064 H-4831 H-4895. Here are some of the other powders I have. IMR-7828 H-322 IMR/H-4198. Am I missing something I thought 243 was supposed to be accurate!!! I checked the stock bolts and the scope, there good. heres the rifle specs.
Factory M77 Target rifle
26" SS barrel
Laminated stock
2 stage trigger
Weaver 24x scope
Any help would be nice guys Thanks

Re: Ruger M77 243 Target Rifle

Ugh I think it is just par for the course with Target 77's...

I have one in 25-06 that acts more like a shot gun. A couple of gunsmiths that I have spoke to have both said that bedding the actions will probably make a huge improvement. So that is another one of my many, many, many projects that is still to be done.

Anybody here bedded a 77? How big of a difference did it make?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ugh I think it is just par for the course with Target 77's...

I have one in 25-06 that acts more like a shot gun. A couple of gunsmiths that I have spoke to have both said that bedding the actions will probably make a huge improvement. So that is another one of my many, many, many projects that is still to be done.

Anybody here bedded a 77? How big of a difference did it make? </div></div>

I had one years ago in the same cal.Mine shot like shit also (2inch at 100y).I took it to a gunsmith and he bedded it.the best it ever did with handloads was 1 and a half....sell it,sell it now.........

PM ME IF U WANNA GET RID OF IT.
smile.gif

From personal experiance I've found Ruger rifles to be very hit or miss. I've had M77s that were real tack drivers, and I've seen them where it'd be a challenge to hit the broad side of a barn while standing inside (I exaggerate of course, but you get the drift)

All in all, I find there are far more consistant rifles for the money out there.

Another thing too you might try is to see if they have a pressure pad/spot where the wood touches the barrel at the tip of the forend of the stock. Removing that an making sure that the barrel is free floating as well as bedding the action and doing some trigger work is about the cheapest way to attempt to fix your accuracy problem besides handloading. You can also check the crown to make sure that it isn't damaged.

I too am not a M77 fan for the reasons of issues like the ones that you are having. Hope everything works out for you, good luck.

+1 to diggler's post.

I have a M77 Mark II with the pencil barrel in .257 Roberts. Bedded it/free floated and put a timney trigger in at 2.75 lbs. That plus the appropriate torque on the screws made a huge difference.

The front screw spec is 90 in lbs. rear and middle/center are 50 in lbs. Torque order: Front, Rear, Middle. If I'm shooting close to about .75 moa or more 5 shot groups it's me not the rifle.

I have the target model in 25/06 and before I bedded it you could grab the barrel and actually feel the action moving the the stock. Now that its bedded it pretty much shoots 1 in all the time. Not the most accurate gun, but I got it for free.

I torqued the screews and the barrel is free floating.I'll mtry beding it this weekend,see if that helps. If not I'll just work up a hunting load and save it in the safe for my daughter or son to use when they get old enough. thanks for the info guys

Why is it that every time Rugers are discussed online, people talk about bedding, triggers, and pressure pads, but no one ever suggests a new barrel?

Throw a good barrel on it and it'll shoot fine.

I have a friend with the same rifle in 308. He was ready to throw it away after shooting all factory loads. It patterned like a shot gun. We have drilled and tapped the receiver for a 20moa rail and worked the trigger down. We have developed a load with 178 amax's that really works all the way from 200yd to 1K. He is now using it in compition, until his Rem 700 is ready.
If you show up to a compitition with one of your group shooting a M77, everyone is so nice and helpful. I guess they think we are handicapped.
To the OP, work the loads very carefully. These are the most finiky barrels I have ever seen.
YMMV-Rob

I have a standard MK 2 243win that I've had for years and the only loads that shot very well for me was a 55 grn Nosler BT with H380 behind it loaded at or near max. But even with the light barrel it shoots under an inch at 100. It's not a long range load though. The only thing done to the rifle is the trigger was redone.

Try new brass.

Sooting is caused by failure of the brass to seal at the neck. Usually, this indicates a light load, but it can also indicate brass that is too work hardened to expand and seal properly, and your remarks about trying everything would seem to point to the latter cause.

Another solution might be to anneal the necks, but I just get new brass when the current stuff hardens up. Brass misers are not doing themselves any favors.

Work hardened brass will also adversely affect neck tension, and could be the root cause of the inaccuracy issue. I owned two 77VT's, a .22-250 and a .308, and they were my goto rifles for simple, uncomplicated accuracy.

I like Win brass, and neck up Win .243 to make my .260 brass.

Greg

I know this is an old thread but I have 5 ruger mk11
220 swift, 243 win, 25-06, 308, 300 win maq
all of them have had nothing changed from factory stock right out of the box. all of them are tac drivers except the 300 mag
it is a bad one.