• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

ERGO grip on mine.
20190411_184106.jpg

Reactions: Reverend Mark
I went to Anarchy Outdoors and got the MPA EVG. I wasn't sure I was going to like it giving the design on how the trigger finger rests on a support. As it turns out, I love this aspect of it. It has made a significant improvement in shrinking my groups. Seemed like I was always fighting with the factory grip as I would often get a POI pulled off, even when concentrating on a good trigger pull. Now, the way it fits the RPR I seems I get a good trigger pull every time. I guess because it has eliminated some finger movement in the lower part of the trigger. My finger feels much more relaxed on the trigger than before.

This a pic from my RPRR and I have the same on my RPR (only with a factory trigger).

I went to Anarchy Outdoors and got the MPA EVG. I wasn't sure I was going to like it giving the design on how the trigger finger rests on a support. As it turns out, I love this aspect of it. It has made a significant improvement in shrinking my groups. Seemed like I was always fighting with the factory grip as I would often get a POI pulled off, even when concentrating on a good trigger pull. Now, the way it fits the RPR I seems I get a good trigger pull every time. I guess because it has eliminated some finger movement in the lower part of the trigger. My finger feels much more relaxed on the trigger than before.

This a pic from my RPRR and I have the same on my RPR (only with a factory trigger).

View attachment 7059780

View attachment 7059781
Every since I tried a McMillan stock I knew I liked that interface with the palm/grip. Was already thinking I may try one of these when I get my 6.5. Glad to read you saw tangible reproducible results

I'm not sure if I can get used to a vertical grip like that. I'd like to try it one day.
GA Medic I was thinking the same. Once I got the grip it really changes the way your finger/hand align with the trigger. It improved the alignment positively.

I ordered the 300 WM RPR today. It’s a beast of a rifle. How is your Harris bipod holding up? I have Harris bipods on other rifles such as my 308 RPR. I’m a fan of the Harris bipods but wondering how it’s holding up to your 300 WM.

No issues. I've even used it in a 375 h&h mag without problems.

Thank you for all the comments. Howland I reloaded using 90 Gr of H1000
Today's research:
1. I loaded (5) dummy loads using virgin Peterson brass ((beautiful brass)
2. Cycled them thru the action at different speeds, no issues (dragging sensation, hangups) repeated 3-4 times. no issues (other than my wife scolding me for doing this at the dinner table LOL). Some longitudinal scratches from the magazine. no gouges. Bullet tips show some scratches indicative of a rough/sharp feed ramp

View attachment 7053056

Notes:
Sharp edges on the feed ramp, ejection port and barrel extension. Ejection port and feed ramp also show brass smear marks

View attachment 7053057

Following Ruger's instructions the lower (receiver?) was removed

Rework:
Using a Swiss round file I proceeded to break all accessible sharp edges. Sorry forgot to photograph the feed ramp and I am too lazy to retrieve the rifle from the safe. Metal removal was minimum.
View attachment 7053059

Conclusion:
Close inspection of the initial cases showed different degrees of "gouging" from severe (shown) to minimum to none. Perhaps the culprit "burr" was removed during cycling/firing.

Unable to replicate root cause one solution was to address all suspect contributors: remove/limit sharp edges that contact the case.

Will find out more next range trip. Thanks

ACK

Update:
Shot the RPR yesterday after deburring all internal sharp edges. Hornady 285 HPBT, 89 Gr H1000, Norma brass, (2750 fps) max magazine length.
20190414_115914.jpg

No issues. Brass shows some longitunal scratches (magazine?) but no gouging. Problem solved,.

Last edited:
First time out with my RPR in 6.5 creed yesterday. Got my 4-16 ATACR mounted and leveled and PRS gen 3 stock installed. I was shooting Hornady 140 ELD factory match ammo and had my Saker 762 suppressor mounted.

Working back to 100 yards to zero my optic I shot about 20 rounds and was happy with how it was doing. My first 5-shot group at 100 measured 0.75”, not bad for getting used to a new rifle. Three shots were very tightly grouped in one cluster under .25” and the other two were one ragged hole just to the left.

Based on some of the other groups when zeroing there seems to be a trend of some horizontal stringing going on. Could this be due to the bipod? I’m using an Atlas BT10 that I just got. I’ve never shot off a bipod with cant/tilt before as I’ve just used a basic Harris in the past. I was trying to make sure I was loading the bipod to prevent movement and I was checking my NPOA before every shot.

Just purchased a RPR Gen 2 in 6mm creedmoor. Going to pick it up this week. Any issues I should be on the lookout for when I inspect the rifle before pickup? Any tips and tricks for the RPR? Must-have upgrades? Thanks.

Reactions: 10ring1
First time out with my RPR in 6.5 creed yesterday. Got my 4-16 ATACR mounted and leveled and PRS gen 3 stock installed. I was shooting Hornady 140 ELD factory match ammo and had my Saker 762 suppressor mounted.

Working back to 100 yards to zero my optic I shot about 20 rounds and was happy with how it was doing. My first 5-shot group at 100 measured 0.75”, not bad for getting used to a new rifle. Three shots were very tightly grouped in one cluster under .25” and the other two were one ragged hole just to the left.

Based on some of the other groups when zeroing there seems to be a trend of some horizontal stringing going on. Could this be due to the bipod? I’m using an Atlas BT10 that I just got. I’ve never shot off a bipod with cant/tilt before as I’ve just used a basic Harris in the past. I was trying to make sure I was loading the bipod to prevent movement and I was checking my NPOA before every shot.

May be the trigger pull/ finger position on the trigger.

Just purchased a RPR Gen 2 in 6mm creedmoor. Going to pick it up this week. Any issues I should be on the lookout for when I inspect the rifle before pickup? Any tips and tricks for the RPR? Must-have upgrades? Thanks.
I have one and absolutely love it! It’s a great rifle and I have put only about 40 rounds through it so far. Mine shoots the Hornady 108 gr. ELD Match the best. I upgraded the grip (Hogue overmolded- some prefer the Ergo Tactical) and installed a Harris bi-pod. I have had zero issues with it. I checked everything before taking it out to sight it in and all was within spec from factory. YMMV. Enjoy your rifle and welcome to the RPR world.

Yes, FREEBORE. Check it, please. Bring a dummy round if you have to.

Reactions: Pilotscrappy
Def check freebore on a 6mm, chamber a round (or dummy round in store) and then un chamber it and make sure it doesn't leave marks on bullet or extract hard.

Also with regards to horizontal stringing, I've noticed mine does the same thing when I'm shooting groups off my bipod. I attribute it to either shooter error, or the fact my bipod moves on the bench.

When I shoot the same loads off sand bags the horizontal stringing goes away.
Congrats on new rifles guys welcome to the addiction.

Do they still come with that hard plastic POS grip? I second the Hogue Ergo grip. I have several aftermarket things but none were a must except the grip

Def check freebore on a 6mm, chamber a round (or dummy round in store) and then un chamber it and make sure it doesn't leave marks on bullet or extract hard.

Also with regards to horizontal stringing, I've noticed mine does the same thing when I'm shooting groups off my bipod. I attribute it to either shooter error, or the fact my bipod moves on the bench.

When I shoot the same loads off sand bags the horizontal stringing goes away.
Congrats on new rifles guys welcome to the addiction.
Yes, FREEBORE. Check it, please. Bring a dummy round if you have to.
Thanks for the tips on freebore. Had no idea it was such an issue with these rifles. I’ve taken the last hour looking stuff up and read a lot of the issues with freebore on the 6mm rifle as you’d mentioned. I made the decision for the RPR because I thought they’d come without a headache. Now I might not even pick it up and pay the restocking fee - I don’t want to deal with hassle.

Reactions: dleaser
I posted this question a while back and didn't get any answers has anybody got any experience or range time with the new 338 or 300 win mag RPR's??

I’m sure some have bigjake, but it may be small few as I’m interested in the .338 one to go with my 6.5 CM RPR but no one around here has one in stock so there lies the problem.

Reactions: bigjake83
You will be extremely satisfied just the way it is. Try the 107 sierras with h4350. Idk about feeebore on mine but no problems at all and it shoots like a house on fire. Worth the risk. U can always rebarrel it

You will be extremely satisfied just the way it is. Try the 107 sierras with h4350. Idk about feeebore on mine but no problems at all and it shoots like a house on fire. Worth the risk. U can always rebarrel it
So far the 115DTAC's in front of H4350 seem to be working pretty good.

I just shoot factory ammo right now, but if I get into reloading in the future I’ll keep that in mind - thanks for the tip!

I’m sure some have bigjake, but it may be small few as I’m interested in the .338 one to go with my 6.5 CM RPR but no one around here has one in stock so there lies the problem.
I'm a little torn on buying a new 6.5 Gen III or used I or II. Some really good looking deals locally, but I'm just unsure of every single mod made and if I may regret going backwards in generation. Would be grateful to hear your thoughts on that please.

GenII's strike a good balance between the Gen's in my opinion. On my GenII I have only changed out the pistol grip for a more ergonomic grip, otherwise I have been completely satisfied with the stock configuration.

Well I have a Gen 3 I believe, I love my RPR. Think most things to change are matter of the user. I have change the pistol grip, Ambi safety, buttstock, added a mag release extension and have muzzle break ordered but found out I have to replace my scope mount so I have to order a new one at end of the week. Buttstock is nice but I thought it was difficult to adjust why I changed it

Ok thanks guys. I like that the changes aren't really earth shattering b/c that just frees up more scope money if I can look used at a I or II.

I am going to do my best to inspect for freebore (or lack therof) on the RPR 6mm creedmoor I ordered before “accepting” at the store. Is marking the bullet in sharpie the best way to see scratches? I doubt they will let me load live ammo to see if it scratches the round. Someone had mentioned bringing a dummy round, but I don’t have one.

For freebore issues are you just looking for scratches on the bullet and a hard to close bolt?

I am going to do my best to inspect for freebore (or lack therof) on the RPR 6mm creedmoor I ordered before “accepting” at the store. Is marking the bullet in sharpie the best way to see scratches? I doubt they will let me load live ammo to see if it scratches the round. Someone had mentioned bringing a dummy round, but I don’t have one.

For freebore issues are you just looking for scratches on the bullet and a hard to close bolt?
Unfortunately on mine that doesn't help as a check. Even if I load it short of the lands there are scratches on the bullet and brass. But, I also have feeding issues. And accuracy issues. One 3 shot group will be 1/4 moa and the next 1.5 moa. Regret getting it. Maybe I'll send it to Ruger but just don't have the energy right now.

You'll notice the bolt almost won't close at all. I doubt they'll let you drop in a live round. See if you can find someone to make you an empty round and use a sharpie. I can't predicted the turn around time for a solution from Ruger if you get a "bad" one. In the big picture I was lucky as the Gen 3 replacement for my defective Gen 2 had the same issue. After making some noise they built and tested me a new one direct so maybe their tooling issues have been cleared up. So I now own #3. The Gen 2's are still around for around $800. That armslist one seems relatively fair for what it is.
mir_20190119_114505.jpg
mir_20190329_203002.jpg

Reactions: richthe1
Well I have a Gen 3 I believe, I love my RPR. Think most things to change are matter of the user. I have change the pistol grip, Ambi safety, buttstock, added a mag release extension and have muzzle break ordered but found out I have to replace my scope mount so I have to order a new one at end of the week. Buttstock is nice but I thought it was difficult to adjust why I changed it
View attachment 7062411

What stock is that?

Good deal. I'm going to shoot mine the way it is some more before I decide on a new stock. How is the recoil pad on that stock? Any better or worse than what came on our rifle?

GA, I just got it yesterday so I haven’t been able to shoot with it yet. I won’t be going shooting again for another week but will definitely let you know how it goes if your still interested.

Reactions: GA_medic
GA, I just got it yesterday so I haven’t been able to shoot with it yet. I won’t be going shooting again for another week but will definitely let you know how it goes if your still interested.

I'd be interested for sure. The stock is the only thing not aftermarket on my rifle except for the barrel.

Trigger, hand guard, and barrel I haven’t changed I believe. Trigger is planned, hand guard maybe, and barrel I don’t think I have to yet, my barrel seems like little lighter bullets.
100 yards with Hornady 129 GR SST, cover 4 shots with a dime

100 yards with some Walmart off the shelf Winchester 125 gr ammo, 5 shots.

Barrel will be my last part. I changed my handguard because I got the one I liked for a great price and it looks great. I have the flat Timney trigger and it works amazingly. Just got it back from a Cerakote job and will be going to the range on Monday to finalize the sight in at 100 yards. Currently, I'm only shooting 147g ELD.