• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

This is mine in it's current form.

20190402_130344.jpg

Looks really nice GA, I want Midwest industries hand guard, issue is they only offer it in black , and no place where I live that does Cerakote so I can have cerakote FDE to match my rifle. Same time I kind want my rifle done in Tungsten color.

Looks really nice GA, I want Midwest industries hand guard, issue is they only offer it in black , and no place where I live that does Cerakote so I can have cerakote FDE to match my rifle. Same time I kind want my rifle done in Tungsten color.

Where do you live at? I can probably have a buddy of mine do the coating with a quick turn around. He did my full rifle in FDE.

Where do you live at? I can probably have a buddy of mine do the coating with a quick turn around. He did my full rifle in FDE.
I live in Missouri, not really into shipping my rifle off. Nearest place to me that does Cerakote is around 3 hours away. Why I haven’t gotten real excited about it.

I live in Missouri, not really into shipping my rifle off. Nearest place to me that does Cerakote is around 3 hours away. Why I haven’t gotten real excited about it.

Gotcha. No worries. Wasnt sure if you needed just one part done or the whole rifle.

Have question for you guru’s, I have Athlon Ares BTR with 30 MOA pic rail on my RPR. I shoot normal up to 1k yards with few times a year up to 1.5k yards. Is having 30 moa going cause me issues with elevation? Would I need go back to 20 moa rail?

Also scope mounts, I prefer one piece mounts vs rings, standard or cantilever? Also thought you wanted your scope closet to the bore of your gun as possible without touching your rifle.

Here’s to scope mounts I’m looking at, spuhr mounts are little high for me. Sorry for dumb questions I’m new at this well this depth of it anyways.

Last edited:
Have question for you guru’s, I have Athlon Ares BTR with 30 MOA pic rail on my RPR. I shoot normal up to 1k yards with few times a year up to 1.5k yards. Is having 30 moa going cause me issues with elevation? Would I need go back to 20 moa rail?

Also scope mounts, I prefer one piece mounts vs rings, standard or cantilever? Also thought you wanted your scope closet to the bore of your gun as possible without touching your rifle.

Here’s to scope mounts I’m looking at, sphur mounts out little high for me. Sorry for dumb questions I’m new at this well this depth of it anyways.
View attachment 7062935View attachment 7062936

I’d just leave the 30 MOA rail on. I use a standard one piece Warne mount and it’s been fine on my rifle for years. Cantilever is fine too but I might just put a dab of blue loctite on the little adjustment nut when you get the lever just right.

Thanks Lefty, and which Warne to you have if you don’t mind me asking. I’m still browsing scope mounts, trying figure out which one I want.

Unfortunately on mine that doesn't help as a check. Even if I load it short of the lands there are scratches on the bullet and brass. But, I also have feeding issues. And accuracy issues. One 3 shot group will be 1/4 moa and the next 1.5 moa. Regret getting it. Maybe I'll send it to Ruger but just don't have the energy right now.
Sorry about the trouble you’re having with yours. Thanks for sharing so I can learn from the problems your having. You had said “Unfortunately for mine that doesn’t help as a check”. Were you referring to marking the bullet in sharpie?
Do you think your accuracy and feeding issues could be caused by the freebore issue?

Thanks Lefty, and which Warne to you have if you don’t mind me asking. I’m still browsing scope mounts, trying figure out which one I want.

This is the one I’m currently using. Actually I have two..

They have standard, cantilever, 1”, 30mm, different colors, different MOA, some with rails on them, pretty much anything. I have two standards in 30mm no cant

Reactions: Creedmoor87
I've never had this pin out or had any of this trouble . . . but, I would approach it like Howland suggested above by removing the firing pin. And if I were doing it, I'd simply tap the pin completely out in the same direction that it's already started. This way I could inspect the pin as well as the hole to see if the pin needs any work on it in case it dented or bent. Then, I'd clean out the hole and reinsert the pin. I think the hardest part of all this would probably be trying to get the firing pin back in place as that spring is it can be pretty tough to compress and get it all back in place at the same time.
Looking at the disassembly/re-assemply YouTube (), I have to wonder whether the slot where that roll pin is inserted is actually correctly aligned with the slot in the rear of the firing pin. If the retaining lug is not screwed in correctly, then it's possible that someone sloppily inserted the pin in the wrong spot and no amount of hammering will get it to go in. You may need to pull it to confirm that you have a good hole.

Anybody have issues with the magpul aics mags? Mags seem to sag a little in the rear causing the bolt to only pick up rounds like 75% of the time. Gun is a 6.5 creedmoor.

I use the two Pmag 10 LR/SR Gen M3 that came with mine, never had issue with them and haven’t adventured to different mags yet, so don’t have much helpful information to offer on the AICS ones

Anybody have issues with the magpul aics mags? Mags seem to sag a little in the rear causing the bolt to only pick up rounds like 75% of the time. Gun is a 6.5 creedmoor.

Yep, I ran the regular AR-10 Pmags for a few years because my oal was short enough and they ran well. Recently picked up a Magpul AICS mag and have had similar feeding issues in my 6.5. The back of the follower doesn't push the case head up enough, and the bolt rides over the case head. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying and an issue in a match. Some folks swear by the Magpul AICS, but I've also read of other RPR owners that have had trouble with them. I think I'm going to pick up some Accurate mags or MDT steel to see if those feed reliably.

This is mine, Ruger PR (6.5 Creedmoor), Gen 1, with Ti bolt shroud. Scope is a Sightron SIII 8-32 x 56 with LRMOA reticle. I may change the stock to a Magpul PRS at some time, which seems to be a common upgrade.
IMG_0158.JPG

For you guys shooting the 6.5 Ruger Precision how is the recoil management keeping the target in the reticle? With my 308AR I was never able to keep the target in the reticle. 7.62x39 I was watching bullet all the way into steel last weekend. Just not able to do it with heavier hitting.
No problem with managing recoil with the 6.5 creedmoor. Very mild.

Here’s mine. It was a nice little project and now time to break in the barrel and develop a load for it.

6.5 CM 26” Kreiger barrel 7.5 twist
Magpul furniture
Timney trigger
Midwest mLock hand guard with PVA barrel nut
Atlas biPod
Badger Ordnance rings
Nightforce NSX 3.5-15x50 with zero stop MilR reticle
American Rifle 10 round steel mags with room for Hornady 147gr ELDs
Mag release extension
Bolt handle and knob upgraded
SH bolt shroud
Little Bastard brake

8424AED4-1DD8-436A-8C75-003346A117B5.jpeg

Last edited:
How do you like the Midwest industries hand guard? Thinking about getting one but would have too get it Cerakote. Realize last night doesn’t appear the lower part of RPR doesn’t have any numbers on it so I may be able have sent off with the hand guard and Cerakote. A Tungsten/black RPR think it would look sexy

How do you like the Midwest industries hand guard? Thinking about getting one but would have too get it Cerakote. Realize last night doesn’t appear the lower part of RPR doesn’t have any numbers on it so I may be able have sent off with the hand guard and Cerakote. A Tungsten/black RPR think it would look sexy
It's rock solid and provides a nice flat base for a rail & bipod setup.

If it's not too much trouble could I please ask one of you RPR owners to measure the width of your rifle at the stock end when you have it folded. Don't have my 6.5 yet, but was doing some case planning and I *think* my AR soft case will still work, but not sure how wide a RPR is when folded. Thanks

If it's not too much trouble could I please ask one of you RPR owners to measure the width of your rifle at the stock end when you have it folded. Don't have my 6.5 yet, but was doing some case planning and I *think* my AR soft case will still work, but not sure how wide a RPR is when folded. Thanks
4” if you remove your bolt

Need some advice or opinions, so on my RPR pic rail has a bubble level, bubble level on my turret off the scope, square with a plumb bob on my wall. So everything thing should be right in the world, but when I look through it looks like the reticle is off to the right a little, forgive the picture trying to get reticle to show up my phone was bit of challenge.

Anyways does this look off to you guys. Are my eye play tricks on me?

Do you mean "rotated" to the right (clockwise) or "shifted" to the right?

I have the exact same issue. Usually it's the first round I try to chamber that gives me issues

Thanks for the tips on freebore. Had no idea it was such an issue with these rifles. I’ve taken the last hour looking stuff up and read a lot of the issues with freebore on the 6mm rifle as you’d mentioned. I made the decision for the RPR because I thought they’d come without a headache. Now I might not even pick it up and pay the restocking fee - I don’t want to deal with hassle.
What happened? Did it check out?

After reviewing some other threads it seems I may need to re-evaluate how I'm building my firing position. It's been a while since I shot precision (mostly been doing pistol for the last couple of years) so some of my fundamentals probably need a little of the rust knocked off.

Dd
Need some advice or opinions, so on my RPR pic rail has a bubble level, bubble level on my turret off the scope, square with a plumb bob on my wall. So everything thing should be right in the world, but when I look through it looks like the reticle is off to the right a little, forgive the picture trying to get reticle to show up my phone was bit of challenge.

Anyways does this look off to you guys. Are my eye play tricks on me?
View attachment 7064038

It definitely looks off a little, but I can’t tell from the picture if it’s leaning to the right or if it’s rotated to the right (or clockwise). Did you level the scope and and rifle without the bipod? Sometimes you can get it just right only to have the bipod throw you off. Or simply tightening the rings a little too much on one side can force the scope to shift.

What happened? Did it check out?
I picked it up today. I ran 5 sharpied rounds of factory Hornady 108gr ELD-M through it. I didn’t feel resistance having to push the round forward or anything and the rounds ejected easily. However, the bullets did have scratches on them. The 3 rounds on the left were run through the magazine. The 2 rounds on the right were single fed. What are you guys’ thoughts? It has scratches - does that mean no freebore and should go back to Ruger?

Attachments

• 89668CCB-E87A-441F-800A-5168EE6BDF6D.jpeg
    89668CCB-E87A-441F-800A-5168EE6BDF6D.jpeg
    954.9 KB · Views: 106
I picked it up today. I ran 5 sharpied rounds of factory Hornady 108gr ELD-M through it. I didn’t feel resistance having to push the round forward or anything and the rounds ejected easily. However, the bullets did have scratches on them. The 3 rounds on the left were run through the magazine. The 2 rounds on the right were single fed. What are you guys’ thoughts? It has scratches - does that mean no freebore and should go back to Ruger?
Those are just ordinary scratches that ocure during the chambering/ejection process. What you should be looking for are clear rifling marks on the ogive which I don't see here. I think your freebore is fine.

Looks fine to me. Scratches would be more pronounced and nearer to the case neck rim if freebore was short. Looks like you got a winner.

Reactions: richthe1
Looks good to me. Especially the mag fed rounds that would be picked up by the bolt at the correct angle. I use a bob sled when I single feed. I’d say problem solved

Reactions: richthe1
Hey there, new to the RPR platform.
I purchased a 223 version for PRS practice. Happy with everything except the magazines. Continual feed issues, like can’t get through a whole magazine. I have filed and massaged them to no avail.
So I’m looking for a metal magazine but can’t seem t9 find anyone wit( inventory. Any suggestions?
Also, has any had feed ramp issues and/or filed the ramp area?

Thanks, John

Reactions: Qtip
Hey there, new to the RPR platform.
I purchased a 223 version for PRS practice. Happy with everything except the magazines. Continual feed issues, like can’t get through a whole magazine. I have filed and massaged them to no avail.
So I’m looking for a metal magazine but can’t seem t9 find anyone wit( inventory. Any suggestions?
Also, has any had feed ramp issues and/or filed the ramp area?

Thanks, John

Only issues I had with those mags were when I was loading the bullets too long.

Reactions: North Coast Cab
Finally started load development this week for my gen 3 RPR 6.5 creedmoor. Stupid easy to reload for, just about everything shoots 1/2 MOA with the 140 ELDs. I actually have no idea why people are spending money on aftermarket barrels when the OEM are shooting this good.

Looks like I got three contenders 41.7 41.9 and 42.3. not sure why I had the exact same flyers on each of my 41.7 groups, I know it was me because each flyer happen in a different sequence of fire from the two different 5rd groups of 41.7. Looks like 42.3 is going to be the Winner but I'm going to take them out to 200yrds, 300yrds get them on a Chronograph and see which one of the three different loads groups the best at distance.

IMG_20190420_195531043.jpg

IMG_20190420_195626787.jpg

IMG_20190420_195617567.jpg

Finally started load development this week for my gen 3 RPR 6.5 creedmoor. Stupid easy to reload for, just about everything shoots 1/2 MOA with the 140 ELDs. I actually have no idea why people are spending money on aftermarket barrels when the OEM are shooting this good.

Looks like I got three contenders 41.7 41.9 and 42.3. not sure why I had the exact same flyers on each of my 41.7 groups, I know it was me because each flyer happen in a different sequence of fire from the two different 5rd groups of 41.7. Looks like 42.3 is going to be the Winner but I'm going to take them out to 200yrds, 300yrds get them on a Chronograph and see which one of the three different loads groups the best at distance.

View attachment 7064863
View attachment 7064864
View attachment 7064865

I ran my factory barrel for over 3000 rounds before it gave up the ghost.

I ordered a couple of these 2 weeks ago, got them in on Monday. In my RPR 6.5CM Gen 3, they fit very loosely and when held at the bottom, tilt/pivot front to back about 1/4-3/8" (enough to make me wonder if they were even the correct magazines). I test-cycled a full mags worth through each on the bench without any failures (surprisingly). The tilt I have does seem to correlate to your sag issue though, and I can see how that will rotate the rounds down on the rear end away from the bolt face. Guess I'll take them out to the desert and see what happens here in a couple weeks. Likely I will have similar issues with feeding that you did.

I actually have no idea why people are spending money on aftermarket barrels when the OEM are shooting this good.

Exactly. I think people like to spend money because it makes them feel like they are getting more accuracy. Unless u are shooting for extreme accuracy, the average shooter will not see the difference. I think it's more of sense of satisfaction foe some to spend money. To me the cost to potential improvement (or not) is not worth it.

I may be biased ... My 6cm rpr shoots as well. Everything I shot was well under sub MOA. I settled on Smks at a touch under 0.5 on the 6x5

IMG_20190421_103333.jpg
IMG_20190421_103333.jpg

Ok, so before I sell or send mine back to Ruger for feeding and accuracy issues, any ideas? Pretty sure this is not a free bore issue as I checked distance to lands. The chambering and extraction process are chewing up the bullets and brass really bad. Much more than any other gun I've owned. Accuracy is 1/4 MOA to 1.5 MOA. Can't get a full mag to fees except with SR 25 Magpul. AI Magpul and accurate mag metal mags will bind.

My newly purchased RPR is having trouble adjusting for LOP. As shown in the first picture the lower picatinny rail and rear stock frame do not line up and slide together easily. If I pinch the adjustment rod and the lower picatinny rail together it will slide stiffly under the rear stock frame. This will allow limited and stiff adjustments, however, it will not allow for minimum LOP. As seen in the second picture, it will adjust to the point where the worn finish is and, due to friction the friction at that point, it will freeze in place. I had to let it soak in Ballistol for and few then use a lot of force to get it out of the bind. I don’t know if it’s the lower picatinny rail or the rear stock that are bad, but they don’t line up.

There’s nothing I’m missing, right? I’m going to give Ruger a call tomorrow and see if they’ll send me the rear portion of the stock. I guess I could file it down if I really wanted to? If so, should I file the lower picatinny rail or the rear stock frame?

Attachments

• AD5EDDC4-9A19-4CC5-9913-7573E1351309.jpeg
    AD5EDDC4-9A19-4CC5-9913-7573E1351309.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 60
  • A7117EF6-B2E6-44C1-A71C-5801D96179EE.jpeg
    A7117EF6-B2E6-44C1-A71C-5801D96179EE.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 60
My newly purchased RPR is having trouble adjusting for LOP. As shown in the first picture the lower picatinny rail and rear stock frame do not line up and slide together easily. If I pinch the adjustment rod and the lower picatinny rail together it will slide stiffly under the rear stock frame. This will allow limited and stiff adjustments, however, it will not allow for minimum LOP. As seen in the second picture, it will adjust to the point where the worn finish is and, due to friction the friction at that point, it will freeze in place. I had to let it soak in Ballistol for and few then use a lot of force to get it out of the bind. I don’t know if it’s the lower picatinny rail or the rear stock that are bad, but they don’t line up.

There’s nothing I’m missing, right? I’m going to give Ruger a call tomorrow and see if they’ll send me the rear portion of the stock. I guess I could file it down if I really wanted to? If so, should I file the lower picatinny rail or the rear stock frame?

I'm sure others will chime in soon, but I thought I would offer my two cents. I have two RPR's and both are a little clunky to adjust. I usually need to back off the thumb screw to get it to move easily. My older one (gen 2 I think) is worse than my newer 300WM. But both are a bit finicky. I'm not sure if yours is worse or not.