• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

I got to shoot an RPR with one of the LRI barrels in 260 Remington today. It really shot well. Anyone looking for an aftermarket barrel should definitely consider them.

Edit: Today I shot a 308 RPR with a barrel from Southern Precision, Bugholes.com.

3B3CB1E5-C662-4C03-952A-03D080943442.jpeg

These are great rifles and a tremendous value.

Last edited:
Is it a feed problem? What do you mean it has trouble chambering a round?
New rifle? Old rifle with new problem?

so resized my case on the 6.5 they fit in now but they are sticking when chambered, and have to smack the bolt handle to get them out., and near the bottom of the case, is a ring wear mark on them. any ideas?????

You may not be sizing enough. Are you checking your case in a case gage? Do factory rounds stick? Do you know someone with go and no go gages?

Reactions: MarkCO
have to gun in today to check on the go and no go. had no problems before. wondering if the sizing is off and making a ring wear near the bottom of the case. near the primer end. wondering if the case is used up or my dies are out

Any marks from rifling? Scratches on the brass??
Sounds more like a chamber issue then bolt issue. I'd give the chamber a good cleaning and see what happens. Bonus points if you have a bore scope.

here is a question though, do you need to anneal your brass if your not having any problems with it?

I would guess this has been asked more than once and hate to beat a dead horse, but what would you say is the one best upgrade for an RPR in 223 to improve the accuracy. It shoots well under MOA at the present just look for a little more. I keep looking to build a BigHorn Origin but I like the Ruger.

I would guess this has been asked more than once and hate to beat a dead horse, but what would you say is the one best upgrade for an RPR in 223 to improve the accuracy. It shoots well under MOA at the present just look for a little more. I keep looking to build a BigHorn Origin but I like the Ruger.

If it shoots well under MOA consistently, what are you looking to improve?

Wear out that barrel perfecting your ability to read wind and build solid positions.

Reactions: Ruff 364
Under 1 MOA with factory barrel is pretty good. Shoot that barrel out then upgrade to another quality barrel.

My 223 Rpr shoots under a inch easy also but I will get the trigger tech trigger when there available

Have you had a formal training class?

In other words, are you extracting the most precision out of the current barrel or is the barrel holding you back?

Any idea why they did this?
Mike, most likely the market dissipated after Ruger started making RPRs with m-lok handguards. Seems Ruger had more of a niche when the RPR first came out, now there is a lot more competition at that intro level price point.

Reactions: DScorp
I’ve got one RPR handguard that’s really loose. I know a lot of you have replaced yours. If someone has an extra sitting around, send me a message.
Are you still looking for an RPR handguard. I replaced the original with a Seekins Precision flat bottom. It is brand new and came off of a Gen 2 6.5 Creedmoor.

Anyone ever remove the "middle" cap screw on the lower receiver? The one you are not supposed to loosen... I did...

Anyway, upon reinstalling the lower, the "back" cap screw (have to open folding stock to get to it) was a little tough to start and had more resistance than normal.

I'm guessing they are related, so I was going to call Ruger. But thought I would check if anyone else had joined my club and what, if anything, happened if you loosened or removed that screw.

My fault, but it would have cost so little to install a torx version of that screw to help someone forgetting its different.

Last edited:
Anyone ever remove the "middle" cap screw on the lower receiver? The one you are not supposed to loosen... I did...

Anyway, upon reinstalling the lower, the "back" cap screw (have to open folding stock to get to it) was a little tough to start and had more resistance than normal.

I'm guessing they are related, so I was going to call Ruger. But thought I would check if anyone else had joined my club and what, if anything, happened if you loosened or removed that screw.

My fault, but it would have cost so little to install a torx version of that screw to help someone forgetting its different.
Just a follow-up Ruger stated if it went back together, then it is fine.

I found that screw and the other 2 used for removing the lower have a torque spec of 90 in-lbs for the OCD folks like me.

Mike, most likely the market dissipated after Ruger started making RPRs with m-lok handguards. Seems Ruger had more of a niche when the RPR first came out, now there is a lot more competition at that intro level price point.
Pretty interesting thought.. Seemingly, Precision Rifle was a somewhat niche sport until the RPR was introduced. Afterwards, causing an awareness to many shooters as well as an actual introduction, precision rifle has bloomed into a major part of the shooting sport. Though the RPR does not dominate, either the competition area or the marketplace despite being a segment innovator and leader, its a cornerstone.

Now as has been perhaps the least and best part of the free market, dozens’s of competitors to the RPR have been introduced. Thus, saturating the marketplace and pretty much destroying any one major maker from truly profiting. The best part, many smaller, previously established PR rifle builders and component makers, now have more business than they can accommodate, giving them work for almost a generation.

So, lets celebrate our rifle for what it is, a darned good piece of equipment. Able to do what we expected, not perfect, but for what it costs, as perfect as could be.

(The word is “buy” not ”by” and Friends Make Sure Friends get a good rifle and for a whole lot of us, Ruger is that rifle)
24C757EE-C832-4150-BC11-D31A8D61088A.jpeg

Last edited:
anyone have a patriot valley arms ruger precision barrel nut torque wrench adapter i can barrow? PM me please... apparently PVA no longer sells this adapter anymore grrrr

Well 1300 rounds down the factory barrel. The throat has grown to a point where I can't load in a mag and still be .020 off of the lands. The rifle still shoots sub-half moa though so I'm still staying with the factory 6.5CM barrel. How much life should I expect from this barrel....2,000, 2,500.... what say ye?
I got my RPR 6.5 and went to work years ago before I ever thought of keeping up with rounds fired........

A few years ago an instructor at one range said it was about the second flattest shooting rifle he'd ever had on his range.

Still on the same original barrel, still shooting sub-MOA, still having a blast.

Do my own reloading, never max the loads, think that helps my barrel life as well as my shell life.

Happy camper. Liked the 6.5 so much, got the .338 Lapua, still getting friendly with it. Reload for it, too, but it's a bit pricier to run.

Limited to 500 yds where I am, that slows me down A LOT. Need to just get on the road more, I guess.

Oh, forgot......no real idea, but think I'm well over 2000 rounds on this barrel. Good luck with yours.

ANYONE care to comment: When it comes time for the new barrel, do I go back to Ruger or go with a Bartlein?

I got my RPR 6.5 and went to work years ago before I ever thought of keeping up with rounds fired........

A few years ago an instructor at one range said it was about the second flattest shooting rifle he'd ever had on his range.

Still on the same original barrel, still shooting sub-MOA, still having a blast.

Do my own reloading, never max the loads, think that helps my barrel life as well as my shell life.

Happy camper. Liked the 6.5 so much, got the .338 Lapua, still getting friendly with it. Reload for it, too, but it's a bit pricier to run.

Limited to 500 yds where I am, that slows me down A LOT. Need to just get on the road more, I guess.

Oh, forgot......no real idea, but think I'm well over 2000 rounds on this barrel. Good luck with yours.

ANYONE care to comment: When it comes time for the new barrel, do I go back to Ruger or go with a Bartlein?

How long one's barrel is going to last depends on several things. To start with, one needs to decide just where to draw the line in terms of acceptable accuracy. Then, there are factors like the powder being used and how hot the loads are in addition to rate of fire where rapid firing will bring barrel temperatures high and make the barrel wear faster.

If you have Excel on your computer, you can play with a calculator that can give one some idea as to how long a barrel might last give certain imputed info and it looks like this:

Barrel Life.jpg

Now. . . if you'd like to download it, I'm attaching the Excel file, but . . . I've changed the extension from .xlsx to .pdf so that it can be uploaded to this forum. After you download it, you'll need to change the exertion of the file back to .xlsx in order for Excel to be able to read it. If you don't know how to do it, here how: https://www.softwarert.com/show-change-file-extensions-windows-10/

Attachments

• Barrel Life.pdf
    21.1 KB · Views: 99
That's a good start. But need to add in adjustments for brass vs nylon brushes, coated vs uncoated cleaning rods, how harsh of brass cleaner is used, burn rate of powder, , ,etc.

I see TriggerTech still has the triggers as "Coming Soon".

Does anyone have any current info on when they plan to drop?

I see TriggerTech still has the triggers as "Coming Soon".

Does anyone have any current info on when they plan to drop?
Still waiting and watching myself. Aaron Gines at anarchy made it sound like he has been playing with a prototype but that's all I have really heard.

Well 1300 rounds down the factory barrel. The throat has grown to a point where I can't load in a mag and still be .020 off of the lands. The rifle still shoots sub-half moa though so I'm still staying with the factory 6.5CM barrel. How much life should I expect from this barrel....2,000, 2,500.... what say ye?
At a little over 3000 rounds mine stopped shooting as good at 1000 yards. I had to go to a 147 ELD and 150gr.MK bullets, but that only helped for a short time. Still shot good at 800 yards and in though. I went with a new top of the line Bartlien barrel and now the rifle shoots better than it ever did and no fouling to speak of. Get the best Barrel you can for that rifle. Took 8 months to get so order now. Don't use the magazine, get a Bob's Sled so you can single load any length you want for target shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRAGON64
New guy here. I've just started checking out the wealth of information you guys have.

When I'm not on a ship during Michigan whitetail season, I've been using my crossbow, S&W XVR .460, AR pistol in .300 blk I built or my Tavor X95 also chambered in .300 blk.

I decided to get my first distance bolt gun and decided on the RPR in .308. It will arrive in a few days to my local FFL dealer. I got a few other goodies that are also on the way.

-Proof Research cf barrel
-Sig Sauer Whisky3 4-12 x 40 (I know it's on the cheap side for now)
-Fast track hand guard
-Ergo deluxe tactical grip
-Catalyst Arms mag release
-Catalyst Arms Hammerhead bolt knob
-Magpul 933 bi-pod (cheap again till after next deployment)

I'd like to find the Anarchy Outdoors fluted Ti bold shroud and will get it as soon as I do.

Between getting the RPR set up and building my small vault room I'm going to be busy for a while.

New guy here. I've just started checking out the wealth of information you guys have.

When I'm not on a ship during Michigan whitetail season, I've been using my crossbow, S&W XVR .460, AR pistol in .300 blk I built or my Tavor X95 also chambered in .300 blk.

I decided to get my first distance bolt gun and decided on the RPR in .308. It will arrive in a few days to my local FFL dealer. I got a few other goodies that are also on the way.

-Proof Research cf barrel
-Sig Sauer Whisky3 4-12 x 40 (I know it's on the cheap side for now)
-Fast track hand guard
-Ergo deluxe tactical grip
-Catalyst Arms mag release
-Catalyst Arms Hammerhead bolt knob
-Magpul 933 bi-pod (cheap again till after next deployment)

I'd like to find the Anarchy Outdoors fluted Ti bold shroud and will get it as soon as I do.

Between getting the RPR set up and building my small vault room I'm going to be busy for a while.
Welcome to the club. 🥴

If you're going for distance, you're likely to need a mag that can use cartidges that are loaded long. And if so, you might consider one like I use . . . here:

I've been so happy over the years with my .308 RPR I decided to get a 6.5 PRC RPR for a better long range shooting experience. When I received this 6.5 PRC I inspected it thoroughly, to include taking a look at the chamber and bore with a bore scope. I had no high expectations for the bore of a mass produced factory barrel. But . . . the lands were so uneven it was causing a problem when trying to measure the distance to the lands. One of the rifling's extended all the way back to the throat while the others were short of the throat with minor differences. So, on calling Ruger to see what they had to say about that, they advised I just shoot it to see how it shoots before considering an exchange. As I usually do with a factory barrel, I ran a full set of Tubb's Finial Finish to smooth out the bore from the machining marks that factory barrels typically have, plus 80 rounds of Lapua 144's. Though the bore looked pretty good at this point, the lands was still very uneven and I wasn't getting the groups I was expecting. Plus, I was having a difficult time with the bolt as the bolt was very difficult to close when chambering a round. The rim of the cartridge was having a very difficult time getting over the extractor and once over the extractor and in position against the bolt face, the bolt would easily open and close on that cartridge. I tried everything to fix it or make it better, but no joy. Called Ruger back and explained the issues and they agreed to take a look at it and had me send it to them. After they inspected it, they decided to give me a new one.

Upon receiving the new one, and yep . . . on inspection with my bore scope the lands looked way more uniform and in the right place, though the bore didn't look quite a good at the first one originally did. Loaded up another set of Tubb's Final Finish and fired them to smooth out this barrel and all looks pretty good (not as good the the Krieger barrels I usually use, of course). Now I've fire formed a batch of Lapua brass and am ready to swap the factory barrel out for a Preferred Barrel that I had them make for me. And then I'll do some ladders to find the accuracy nodes for the Berger 140 Hybrids and Lapua 144 FMJ's I intend to use.

All barrel are kinda hit or miss. . . but especially factory barrel. If you get a factory barrel that's performing particularly bad, it's a good idea to try and get the factory to replace it.

Lands1.jpg
Lands 2.jpg

Welcome to the club. 🥴

If you're going for distance, you're likely to need a mag that can use cartidges that are loaded long. And if so, you might consider one like I use . . . here:

Thanks! I'll have to pick up a couple of those.

For those who wonder how a factory RPR might stack up to a custom gun (like a Surgeon Scalpel) using factory ammo:

"Over all the 150+ groups fired, the custom rifle only had a 2% better mean radius than the 100% stock Ruger Precision Rifle! What?! If you aren’t shocked by that, consider that the custom Surgeon Scalpel rifle has a price tag that is around $5,000, compared to the $1,300 I bought the Ruger Precision for off GunBroker.com. That shows the kind of impressive performance you can now get from factory rifles! Ruger, I tip my cap to you! The hard data I collected over 760 rounds shows the RPR delivers a ton of precision for the price."

Last edited:
For those who wonder how a factory RPR might stack up to a custom gun (like a Surgeon Scalpel):

"Over all the 150+ groups fired, the custom rifle only had a 2% better mean radius than the 100% stock Ruger Precision Rifle! What?! If you aren’t shocked by that, consider that the custom Surgeon Scalpel rifle has a price tag that is around $5,000, compared to the $1,300 I bought the Ruger Precision for off GunBroker.com. That shows the kind of impressive performance you can now get from factory rifles! Ruger, I tip my cap to you! The hard data I collected over 760 rounds shows the RPR delivers a ton of precision for the price."

Stock, other than removed trigger spring.

target_image.jpg
20211018_192901.jpg

I had to sadly part with my .308 to relocate a year ago, but picked up the .338 in its stead.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211104-224331_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211104-224331_Facebook.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_20211104-224443_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211104-224443_Facebook.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20211104-224516_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211104-224516_Facebook.jpg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 130
I had to sadly part with my .308 to relocate a year ago, but picked up the .338 in its stead.
Went big, eh? Hell of a replacement. A buddy of mine reloads .338L and I have to say, I wouldn't touch it after seeing the fight he's been through trying to find components plus seeing what he pays for them. There's no place to shoot such a round around here to take advantage of it's long ranger performance anyhow. You folks that live out west have it good when it comes to rifle range.

Reactions: DirtyMuzzie
My .308 finally arrived and I installed a Proof Research barrel, changed the stock and a few other doo-dads. Then I put on a Sightmark Wraith 2-26x12 for deer season in a couple days. After getting it zeroed in @ 100 yrds, I was putting 10 rnds basically in the same hole.....just got a little bigger as I went. My 40 acres only allows for a 200 yrd shot max so this nv scope will allow me to get some coyotes and record my deer hunts in a couple days.

Really glad I went with the RPR in .308. My daughter and son in law came over last night and it was pitch black outside. We laid on my back deck and shot the gong...100 yrds. They aren't shooters at all and they both pinged the gong on every shot. I think I may have lit the fire for them. My daughter already wants to get one for herself :)

Badass.jpg