• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

Nice shooting. CCI Quiet is an extremely slow round at around 750fps so it's SD is probably extreme too.

Anyone having extraction issues or know of fix (besides selling it, haha)? Mine shoots CCI Standard great. Wouldn't call it a match gun right now, but it's good for a half inch at 50yd and dirt clods and rocks at 200 aren't safe. A fun distraction while my 6.5 cools off.

I had extraction issues until I realized my automatic magazine loader was denting the shell case and causing it to stick in the chamber. Since I stopped using that auto loader I haven't had a problem.

I have read and seen pictures of people making the extractor hook more extreme to grab the case rim better and there is a spring that pushes the other side of the case toward the extractor. People have slightly bent that spring to make better contact with the case. They bent the spring end toward the center of the bolt.

I had extraction issues until I realized my automatic magazine loader was denting the shell case and causing it to stick in the chamber. Since I stopped using that auto loader I haven't had a problem.

I have read and seen pictures of people making the extractor hook more extreme to grab the case rim better and there is a spring that pushes the other side of the case toward the extractor. People have slightly bent that spring to make better contact with the case. They bent the spring end toward the center of the bolt.
I will give that a try. It doesn't happen a ton, but it's enough that I wouldn't want to shoot a match with it. By chance, do you recall where you read that or the pictures?

I can't find the pictures or thread but this video shows in detail the extractor & shell holder clip:

I can't find the pictures or thread but this video shows in detail the extractor & shell holder clip:

Thank you very much, it's really helpful to see it. I believe my rifle has that little shelf. Time to break out the Drem....I mean send it back to the fully, capable hands at Ruger (in case someone is watching).

I would try bending the spring in towards the center of the bolt first. It helps push the case against the extractor and might solve the problem. Just a very slight bend is all that's needed and you don't have to remove the spring from the bolt to bend it.

Thank you very much, it's really helpful to see it. I believe my rifle has that little shelf. Time to break out the Drem....I mean send it back to the fully, capable hands at Ruger (in case someone is watching).
I cringed when I saw the guy get the Dremel out. Don't these young fellows know how to use a file? It may take more time to fix something, but it also takes more time to screw something up.

Also, I don't use a wire brush to clean a chamber like he does. I use a nylon brush. It may take a little longer, but it's easier on the gun.

Ruger does not care about issues. ALL THEY WANT IS YOUR MONEY

I see what you mean. I just received mine and it was missing the set screw and spring for adjusting the trigger pull. Quality control must not exist. Going to shoot it for the first time today. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.

On the plus- It does look nice and feels good.

I cringed when I saw the guy get the Dremel out. Don't these young fellows know how to use a file? It may take more time to fix something, but it also takes more time to screw something up.

Also, I don't use a wire brush to clean a chamber like he does. I use a nylon brush. It may take a little longer, but it's easier on the gun.
Yeah, I agree. I'm a bit more surgical with a Dremel, but even I have a point where the hand tools come out. I don't even use a brush/cleaning a lot anymore. Mostly bore snakes now.

I just received mine and it was missing the set screw and spring for adjusting the trigger pull. Quality control must not exist. Going to shoot it for the first time today. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.

This is a common mod for the gun to lighten the trigger to less than one pound. Someone probably sent a modified rifle back to Ruger and they didn't catch the missing parts before boxing it up and sending it out for resale.

This is a common mod for the gun to lighten the trigger to less than one pound. Someone probably sent a modified rifle back to Ruger and they didn't catch the missing parts before boxing it up and sending it out for resale.

I just got back from the range today. I put about 150 round thru it. I used federal match (tan box) and Aguila super extra. I got some Chrono readings

Federal average was 1320
Aguila average was 1201

I did not have any issues with failure to extract or eject. :)

With 3 shot groups I'm right at 1 MOA at 100 yards. Should I expect better?

Finally took mine out for the first time yesterday. To be honest, I was pretty pissed off for a while. Round were all over the place! However, I believe the issue was that it needed a bit of fouling. After 25 round it settled down. And by the end I was getting quarter sized groups at 25 yards using RWS 40 grain and Winchester 40 grain. It doesn't like Thunderbolts though.

100 degrees here in St. Louis (humidity like SE Asia) into next week. So I'll try again when the weather breaks.

I just got back from the range today. I put about 150 round thru it. I used federal match (tan box) and Aguila super extra. I got some Chrono readings

Federal average was 1320
Aguila average was 1201

I did not have any issues with failure to extract or eject. :)

With 3 shot groups I'm right at 1 MOA at 100 yards. Should I expect better?
That's about right. Try some different ammo. I can sneak under that pretty regular with CCI Standard Velocity. I got a couple a smidge under 0.75" this morning. It's a hoot on dirt clods at 200+.

One MOA at 100 yards with 22LR is pretty good and it should improve as your barrel seasons. I recommend you evaluate the gun with a quality ammo. Eley Club with its .150 G1 BC and 1080fps specs is a great medium price ammo for precision long range.

So after hearing about some folks getting good groups with CCI standard I gave it a try. No go in my rifle as the Wolf match target was still better. I did have a buddy suggest Eley Edge as it is what worked good in his. Here's the results at 100yds. 10 rd groups with both the Eley and the Wolf. The Eley is a bit pricier than the Wolf but not as bad as some of their higher end ammo. I'm thinking that shooting under 1 & 1/2 inches with a stock trigger is pretty decent given my abilities. I still want to do the bolt & mag tuning that has been posted which might help even more.
Also, I had read somewhere on here that removing the thread protector might change group sizes. I shot two 10rd groups of Wolf & Eley with the TP on and then off. No difference as far as I could see.
That's the way a Factory RPR shoots, I feel sorry for ya. You would place last in a real match. Sell It now it will save you money

Went to the indoor range today for an hour or so.

Barrel on my RPRr seems to be getting better (whistlepig 16.5” barrel with match chamber)

I will say the barrel doesn’t like jumping between ammo types. If you stick with a good ammo or season the next with a few shots then it does better.

This barrel hates cci quiet segmented hollow points. It shot like crap at 50 yards

Pictures below were at 50 yards off a bipod and bags with a 3-12 power scope.

Second photo was “rapid” fire as fast as I could get back on the target and get steady. Probably 1-2 seconds between shots. I am not the greatest shot and someone else probably could ring more out of it than me but I am happy.

Right now RWS pistol match will be my boys go to ammo for mid grade ammo.

View attachment 7112416
View attachment 7112419
This target is proof, The next Gen. RPR will be the FGR, Forst Gump Rifle. Why only stupid people will buy one

Reactions: silentheart
Yeah, no kidding. Hate the RPR much? I will admit my son had one and instead of trying all the modifications we sold it and bought a Tikka T1x and a KRG Bravo. Even considering all that it served him well while he used it. We just wanted something that was more accurate and ran smoother. The Tikka fit the bill for us but we also have substantially more money in the Tikka than we did in the bone stock Ruger that shot fairly well with the right ammo.

Shot my first match yesterday and was frustrated with my Ruger on the stages with the really small targets.

Someone in my squad let me shoot their Vudoo in a MPA Chassis. Granted this is at 25 yards, but both of these are 5 shot groups. Guess which one is the Ruger? Maybe I'm wrong, but the problem isn't the Indian.

Reactions: silentheart
Shot my first match yesterday and was frustrated with my Ruger on the stages with the really small targets.

Someone in my squad let me shoot their Vudoo in a MPA Chassis. Granted this is at 25 yards, but both of these are 5 shot groups. Guess which one is the Ruger? Maybe I'm wrong, but the problem isn't the Indian.

I think I'll continue to play with ammo while I'm saving some money to buy the Vudoo. :cool:

View attachment 7116210View attachment 7116211

Try shooting the same ammo that was in the Vudoo in your Ruger to make a fair comparison.

Something is wrong with that RPR setup/combo. I would check all screws for torque, try a different scope, clean the barrel squeaky clean for starters.

I would check the feeding from the magazine and polish the bottom of the bolt if it is shaving/marking the bullets next in line. Try different torque values on the action screws, 15 to 40 in/lbs. Try the aluminum foil tape bedding.

Try different ammunition, as many different ones as you can find.

I personally know of 4 RPR rf that will shoot the same group as the bottom in your post, and that with CCI SV at the 25 yds you mentioned.

Mine shoots right at .300" at 50 yds normally depending on conditions with CCI SV. I have shot numerous groups at 100 yds of .625" to .750" under good conditions (which are hard to come by around here), again with CCI SV. I have shot some of the higher price spread and it really likes RWS Rifle Match, ELEY Tenex and a few others, but for what I'm doing CCI SV is cost effective. I have placed first in the Base class at each of the two NRL shoots I attended. So until I "need" better ammo to continue that trend, I'll stay with the cost effective CCI SV.

Only thing I did was polish the bottom of the bolt, change to 10 rd magazines and backed off spring tension a bit, adjusted trigger pull to minimum (1 3/4 lb), and run action screw torque to 40 in/lbs.

Good luck with trying to figure out what the problem is. Start with screws and scope.

Something is wrong with that RPR setup/combo. I would check all screws for torque, try a different scope, clean the barrel squeaky clean for starters.

I would check the feeding from the magazine and polish the bottom of the bolt if it is shaving/marking the bullets next in line. Try different torque values on the action screws, 15 to 40 in/lbs. Try the aluminum foil tape bedding.

Try different ammunition, as many different ones as you can find.

I personally know of 4 RPR rf that will shoot the same group as the bottom in your post, and that with CCI SV at the 25 yds you mentioned.

Mine shoots right at .300" at 50 yds normally depending on conditions with CCI SV. I have shot numerous groups at 100 yds of .625" to .750" under good conditions (which are hard to come by around here), again with CCI SV. I have shot some of the higher price spread and it really likes RWS Rifle Match, ELEY Tenex and a few others, but for what I'm doing CCI SV is cost effective. I have placed first in the Base class at each of the two NRL shoots I attended. So until I "need" better ammo to continue that trend, I'll stay with the cost effective CCI SV.

Only thing I did was polish the bottom of the bolt, change to 10 rd magazines and backed off spring tension a bit, adjusted trigger pull to minimum (1 3/4 lb), and run action screw torque to 40 in/lbs.

Good luck with trying to figure out what the problem is. Start with screws and scope.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I do get better groups with different ammo, but still get a flier or two. So far I've tried, Federal match, Aquila super extra, cci sv, sk SP, sk RM. Some are better, but nothing like the Vudoo I tried.

Im using the Vortex Diamondback tactical ffp scope.

I would still try a different scope, just because. I would start with a clean barrel. Use your preferred method, I use Rem 40X bore cleaner (the old Gold Medallion), and have since its introduction.

I don't know how many rounds you have shot, mine was good from day one, but really "tightened" up after about 500 rounds. Could have also been the change in scopes as I started with a 3-9 X 40 AO while waiting for my 6-24 X 44 SF to arrive. The change was made around the 500 round mark.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I agree, cause I go the range and at 100 yard using a bulls eye size of quarter I group it in the center using PRR 17 HMR.

img_2558_d24181a7c644117b26fbdd2ed09e4f72d05b8980.jpeg

img_2561_f149dced26dc118e8e396ee5a3d5b84de1568e9a.jpeg

View attachment 7116210View attachment 7116211
That's what an extra 2 thousand dollars will get you.

Try some Eley Target. Mine seems to like it. Granted, my shooting doesn’t do the rifle or ammo credit.
I did the HVAC aluminum tape bedding bit and it did improve.

Actually 60, I had a wet spot at 50 from the rain.

I'm gonna play with mine more on Thursday and hope it gets better.

I have a Masterpiece arms in 6.5CM and I think I'm just gonna get a Vudoo action and just swap out the chassis depending on the matches I shoot (nrl22/prs). After I save a little more coin I'll get a dedicated MPA chassis for the Vudoo.

After shooting Vudoo last weekend.......I'm convinced on the Vudo

Did you do the “bedding bit” with the HVAC foil tape? (Post number 500 in this topic)

Ok I followed this

I did not ad tape to the sides. Mine fit good and didn't have any side to side play. I also made sure everything was tight and not loose. Heading to the range in the morning to test out some ammo. I'll report back.

Reactions: Dewey7271
Ok here are the results from testing today. I had the best luck with SK Std Plus. I tried a 10 round mag, but. did not see any noticeable difference.

I did 10 shot groups @ 50 yards.
Best SK grouping was .66"

Not sure how this compares with what others are seeing. Thoughts?

Attachments

• skbest.JPG
    skbest.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 74
  • SK.JPG
    SK.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 72
  • federal match.JPG
    federal match.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 1bdvet