• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Runout Gage

Blue Streak

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
KY via Oklahoma
I've read some different opinions on runout gages. Are they really like fishing tackle,..meaning that they are marketed to attract fisherman / reloaders and not fish / tighter groups?

If you think they are worth using, which brand would you recommend,..redding, sinclair,..etc.?

Thanks for your opinion.

Re: Runout Gage

A concentricty gage built to "catch" us? Goodness. It's a fact that crooked ammo won't shoot as well as straight ammo. ONLY way to KNOW how much runout we get - and no one makes totally straight ammo all the time - or at what point in our process it comes in, MUST have a precision tool to measure it. No one can tell much runout he has by rolling a cartridge around on a table or mirror while trying to see how much the meplat wiggles!

Any commercially successful R.O./concentricity gage is obviously quite functional or it wouldn't survive in the market. Any differences between the different ones are mostly personal taste and preference for a manner of use.

I prefer the Sinclair because of it's simplicity, consistancy and ease of use but that's just my personal view, it's not to say the others don't work well if the user does his part. (No tool is helpful if the user messes up!)

I'm a big fan of the Hornady concentricity gauge. Not only does it measure runout, it has a knob and small bolt to "push" the bullet on the high side to correct the runout. Low tech but it works. Now all of my loaded rounds have bullet runout of .002 or less.

An added bonus is you can use the dial indicator for other things. I used mine to degree the cam in my GTO when I did a DIY install of an aftermarket cam.
smile.gif

Thanks for the input guys. I had just read some negative things about not really needing to spend the money or that it really wasn't worth it, but it sounds like something I probably need acquire.

I have the Sinclair gauge, had the Hornady, I would recommend the NECO unit, it will measure more than run out.

Ill put RCBS up for a good concentricity gauge. It will measure run-out. It will (although I dont use it for any other purpose than run-out) measure neck thickness and detect incipient case head seperation also.

The only bad thing abour the RCBS is it uses a dedicated indicator, though I havent had any problems with the one it comes with.

I have the Hornady it seems to work the only draw back is it can only measure loaded rounds. Making it hard to find where in the reloading process run out is being induced.