• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns S&W 9 M2.0 feedback

I purchased a M2 a while ago, it felt good in the hand and fired flawlessly. I truly believe that it is a fine weapon for what it is. I am not a Glock fan boy, I enjoy the Glocks in my collection as they all feel the same in my hand, S&W has evolved since they began producing poly guns and seem to want to please the gun owner with advancements. Glock on the other hand......

Reactions: Mchase
I talked with Apex tactical yesterday and they believe the 2.0 suffers from similar accuracy issues as the 1.0. Apex identified that the m&p 9mm suffers from a very short dwell time that has been documented by their testing to affect the bullet path. They put a video out I linked to it below. I sent my M&P 1.0 for the APEX barrel gunsmith fitting and it has made a significant difference with much tighter groups. Keep in mind that they closed the tolerances down as well which helps in accuracy but I am not confident that reliability (FTF/FTE) is not impacted. However, I have yet to see an increase in stoppages with mine.

***Caveat*** There has been much debate on this M&P accuracy "issue" and please be aware that accuracy is subjective.

Older guns were shipped with a 1;16 twist barrel in 9mm. About 2013 they began shipping with 1: twist barrels, especially the Pro model.
The M&P is a great pistol and, having seen the 2.0 in great detail and shot one about 500 rounds I can say the accuracy has improved, minor changes that shooters requested are there and engineering changes gave it a cleaner more tactile tigger pull. They also beefed up the one trouble spot I saw on heavily used range and/or LE guns that was most likely to break (the "off-side thumb tab for the slide stop.

Definitely keep it on your list. The M&P fits me (personally) better and hence I just upgraded the trigger and barrel now it shoots fantastic!

The M&P M2.0 Compact is an excellent pistol. I have been waiting for Smith to produce a good Glock 19 size pistol, and this is it. Accurate out of the box, feels good in the hand

Get one with confidence. In my load out room I have had M&P9 full sizes since 2006-7. I have about 5-6 M&P9 full size M1.0 with more than 100K rounds collectively thru them. I now have 2 M&P9 M2.0 with more than 20K rounds thru them. With the M2.0's I finally got weary enough of the curved articulated trigger to install the Apex triggers (not trigger bar), one polymer and one aluminum, both with Apex 2 dot sears; they are very good firearms. I generally mount them in Safariland 7TS variants.
The M2.0 slide stop is now a uni-body construction and full support of the slide release levers, with no integrated spring, as the new patent pending slide stop mechanism doesn't need it.
There were at least 50 engineering differences incorporated into the M2.0 version; I catalogued them on the M-P pistol forum here:
http://mp-pistol.com/mp-full-size-pistols/51226-m-p-2-0-differences-i-see.html

I did have one of my M1.0 slide fail @ 28K rounds; Smith & Wesson replaced it with a completely new slide assembly.

IMG_7955 copy.JPG
IMG_5483 copy.JPG
DSCN1582 copy.JPG
IMG_5659 copy.JPG

IMG_2948a copy.jpg

Last edited:
I think you will like the 2.0,
I have a 1.0 with apex trigger kit and apex barrel that i installed,also milled the slide and added a rmr ,,my favorite handgun and never an issue..will be getting a 2.0 core which is pre milled for red dot,,

Put 200rds through my M&P 2.0 compact on steel targets for speed this past weekend. I added a mini surefire light and Wilson combat sights (front sight has glow)

It is the best 'carry' pistol I have ever shot and I really like the factory trigger. Double taps on 66% IPSC targets from 8-15yds away were fairly easy.

Put 200rds through my M&P 2.0 compact on steel targets for speed this past weekend. I added a mini surefire light and Wilson combat sights (front sight has glow)

It is the best 'carry' pistol I have ever shot and I really like the factory trigger. Double taps on 66% IPSC targets from 8-15yds away were fairly easy.

Awesome! Gotta find one now.

I’ve had 1.0 for years, 2.0 is on my list to get. I can’t believe fde version only is offered with safety. I know it’s easy fix to remove but why not offer without

for the life of me....i dont understand why SW doesnt release the MP with a square trigger guard.....literally the only thing keeping me from buying one.

I have a few thousand or so on my 1.0 w/Apex duty trigger. Never replaced the barrel, but may after some more shooting.

I like the Glick 19 size and enjoyed (for the first time) shooting a Glock. That size is optimal for EDC, IMO.

Now I need to check out the 2.0 compact if it is similar in size to the 19. The ergos of the M&P work for my hand.

Well then, maybe this information may persuade you to consider not doing so, as it is a grip configuration that is counter-productive to pistol grip strength and firearm control.

IF you need to get to the punch line, then start at the 3 min mark regarding grip management; Bill Rogers explains the grip here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxklp1sz2t1v0bv/Bill Rogers Explains Dominant Eye Grip & Stance.mp4?dl=0

By opening up your grip to place either your support hand index / or social (middle) finger on the front of the trigger guard you are sacrificing about 25-35% of your grip strength which is not good for recoil management.
A good analogy of single hand grip strength about a pistol grip is that of a carabiner. A climbing carabiner
is rated for strength in its longitudinal and cross axis as well as that with its gate open. A typical carabiner
is rated at 24kN along its long axis however with its gate open the strength is reduced to 7 kN. Such
is the case when one doesn’t reconfigure their one-hand shooting group from typical a “high-thumb” position
(brief case grip) that affords room for the support hand with a 2-hand shooting grip, to one that opposes
the thumb with their middle finger (power grip) that closes the anatomical “link” of the hand grip.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 8.34.15 PM.png

Here are just few of pistols (HKP30, HKVP9, Walther PPQ M2) with square trigger guards, I continue to be amazed that mfg. construct them when its well known some will try to use them in that fashion, despite the knowledge to the contrary.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 8.41.05 PM.png

thats fine and dandy......but its all bullshit.

i shoot enough to know what woks for me.....and i pesonally shoot faster, and more accurately when i shoot with my grip.......your results may vary.

i have my reasons and can defend them.......but im not going to get into a pissing contest when neither of us is going to change our mind.

and until more manufacturers start putting square guards on triggers, im going to stick with glocks and HKs, they make fine pistols and im happy to give them my money......adding a square guard doesnt prohibit a traditional 2 hand grip.....so theres no downside to putting it on guns.

i dont know why some people get so pissy over this......people have such a visceral reaction to the square finger guard.....god you people act like im killing puppies.....i just fucking shoot differently than you do.

Last edited:
Here are just few of pistols (HKP30, HKVP9, Walther PPQ M2) with square trigger guards, I continue to be amazed that mfg. construct them when its well known some will try to use them in that fashion, despite the knowledge to the contrary.
Without jumping in to either side of the argument about extending your fingers around the trigger guard and whether or not its a benefit or detractor I think the squared trigger guards are designed in that manner for people pressing them against a barricade.

Without jumping in to either side of the argument about extending your fingers around the trigger guard and whether or not its a benefit or detractor I think the squared trigger guards are designed in that manner for people pressing them against a barricade.
Really? This ain't PRS we are talking about.

Mcameron your spot on. I've also shot enough to know, there's no one size fits all. You find what works for YOU through trail and error, and work to make it fit your shooting style. I'm of the opinion that unless you experiment with different techniques, grips, stances, ect. One can never reach their full potential as a shooter. Everyone's physical makeup is different, so for anyone to make a flat out statement that you have to do it this way, is flat out wrong! Once I found a grip that worked for me, I practiced it until it could be achieved without any thought. I was able to slap the trigger without the sights moving! That lead to MY epiphany with pistol shooting, shooting with my eyes, calling my shots and my eyes leading the gun . Take the basics and experiment to find what works for you.
Mike