• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safran/ Vectronix Terrapin-X *** Update***

NoLegs24

Wheels
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 15, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Cats out of the bag. Terrapin Replacement. Has a ton of upgrades 3k+ Meters, 8x magnification, Bluetooth to connect to their mobile app or Kestrel Link. 905nm Laser. 1.2milx0.5mil beam divergence

Wonder what the price will be, may cut into the sale of the PLRF25CX2 lol

https://www.terrapin-x.com

Looks like EuroOptic will have these by End of May. Just in time for the Q-Creek ELR Match! You copy JASON?? lol

Link - TERRAPIN-X

Last edited:
    Wonder what street price on these will be and how continuing warranty support will be.

Sold my terrapin last year because I didn't use it all that much and after reading several horror stories was concerned about getting it fixed if something went wrong.

The new version adds all the features I wanted on the original... Be watching this one closely.

DId they have any at SHOT to play with?

Did I read the specs right and it has the compass too?

Sounds like a great product!

Vectronix burned a lot of bridges with how they were supporting US customers, not sure how trusting anyone should be with this product offering?

I would have to see a bomb proof warranty in writting before I would go anywhere near one.

This look nice. The price will be high I am sure and no mention of warranty but it is great to see them getting re-engaged

Vectronix burned a lot of bridges with how they were supporting US customers, not sure how trusting anyone should be with this product offering?

I would have to see a bomb proof warranty in writting before I would go anywhere near one.

Vectronix didn't burn anyone,..it was the US Agent that was the problem. ROW manages just fine and its still the unit of choice for just about every free nations military.

If I ran a landscaping business, and you called to have mulch put in...and I sent a complete asshole to go talk to you and behave like a complete asshole to you...then "I" may not be a complete asshole.

But I wouldn't be without blame, especially if I already had 2200 "that guy is an asshole" complaints from customers.

THE OFFICIAL FUCK VECTRONIX THREAD

THIS thread is pretty much the official FUCK Vectronix thread here on the hide.

People who never saw their original terrapin again after it grenaded, agents from the US government showing up and demanding the information required to arrest every single owner of a Vectronix device because civilians supposedly can't own one according to some idiot with a badge and too much time on their hands, Vectronix saying they wanted $1800 to repair a fault in a unit that cost $1900 originally to purchase.

If Vectronix wants back in they should do the following:
    1. 10 year warranty. Which I don't think they will do - I haven't seen a device that I think is 10 years reliable. When it works, it works, and when it doesn't the government can have it repaired at the snap of a finger, hence the reason governments love them.
    2. Cap the repair cost at $500...in writing. No matter what is fucking wrong. No single fault in the unit should result in much more cost than that to the manufacturer, and frankly I'm pretty sure Vectronix uses repairs as a MASSIVE CASH COW. You can get a goddamn SIMRAD laser that made its debut in the original Star Wars movie that still works fine. Same thing with most of the Litton MK's I have seen - they work fine.
    3. USA repair depot.
    4. Certificate of Civilian Purchase or some shit.

Vectronix didn't burn anyone,..it was the US Agent that was the problem. ROW manages just fine and its still the unit of choice for just about every free nations military.

Last edited:
    If I ran a landscaping business, and you called to have mulch put in...and I sent a complete asshole to go talk to you and behave like a complete asshole to you...then "I" may not be a complete asshole.

But I wouldn't be without blame, especially if I already had 2200 "that guy is an asshole" complaints from customers.

People who never saw their original terrapin again after it grenaded, agents from the US government showing up and demanding the information required to arrest every single owner of a Vectronix device because civilians supposedly can't own one according to some idiot with a badge and too much time on their hands, Vectronix saying they wanted $1800 to repair a fault in a unit that cost $1900 originally to purchase.

1. 10 year warranty. Which I don't think they will do - I haven't seen a device that I think is 10 years reliable. When it works, it works, and when it doesn't the government can have it repaired at the snap of a finger, hence the reason governments love them.
    2. Cap the repair cost at $500...in writing. No matter what is fucking wrong. No single fault in the unit should result in much more cost than that to the manufacturer, and frankly I'm pretty sure Vectronix uses repairs as a MASSIVE CASH COW. You can get a goddamn SIMRAD laser that made its debut in the original Star Wars movie that still works fine. Same thing with most of the Litton MK's I have seen - they work fine.
    3. USA repair depot.
    None of that shit will happen. The new X will rock and you can buy the best, or just be happy with whatever else is on the market. Nothing else will integrate with FFS or work with such a high degree of reliability or accuracy....until

3. USA repair depot.
    Are you seriously suggesting that 2200 Vectronix LRF's took a crap and the owners couldn't get them fixed? Or that there are 10 guys with problems and 2190 "#me too" retweets? I've seen a couple of guys with legitimate problems.

the 2200 was a number from the earlier analogy - not the situation on the ground at Vectronix. It would not surprise me if the actual situation was a tenth of that - or 10 times it.

I don't think any of the 4 things I asked for to consider trusting Vectronix again were unreasonable in any way.

Is it the most highly performing product? Yes.
    Does it break? Yes
    Does it have a 1 year warranty for a reason? Pretty sure it does.

Warranty duration is created from a series of factors:
    1. Competition. You can beat the crap out of your competitors with a good warranty. I'm looking at you Vortex.
    2. Fiscal balance. A product that is nigh indestructible can have a long warranty. Likewise something you can afford to send 7 of them to a customer before your markup is decimated...
    3. Legalities in the market, like the 80,000 mile emission warranty in the US.

The worst thing a company can do is over-warranty a premium product that has poor reliability. Just ask Volvo and Saab how that works.

Reactions: MilDot1960
    What don't you get?

The return rate for repair is tiny and that's via military and L.E Agencies globally. Initial cost of inspection is high but includes basic part replacement Turnaround from factory is normally inside 6 weeks. Communicating direct with the parent factory gets an answer either immediately by phone or email within 24hrs.

The problem never was with the parent factory but solely with its US distributor. Add ITAR and a few ignorant Feds and there you have the problem: its not the product or the manufacturer.

If you don't want to buy Vectronix/Safran then don't ,...they won't sweat either as the US Civilian market is small numbers. Military and other professional end users will continue to buy what is simply the best product in its class.

905nm vs the 1550nm that the original terrapin has. Why the change in diode wavelength? Am I missing something? I realize that the 905 transmits better through humidity in the air, but limits tof, and distance. Most of the high end rangefinders are still using the 1550nm.

Thoughts? Is it cheaper to produce or what are the benefits?

Deano

I've been told that the plrf5 outraged some of the higher end models which I'm skepticable of. I'm just curious if the 905 diode is better then the 1550 for actual ranging dristance.

Thoughts?
    Deano

I have the PLRF10, they seem to have limited the range to 3000. My PLRF15 would run out ro 5k plus - but had a larger beam divergence. The 10 has the smallest of the PLRF’s and the new Tx is smaller yet.

The original terrapin runs the 905 not the 1550. I have owned 3 and they are fabulous RF’s.

BTW, having owned and used in adverse conditions 3 PLF’s and 3 Terrapins I would like to report that I had zero issues or malfunctions an have extreme confidence in the quality of Vectronix products.

That being said, I like the 10 better than the 15 because of the smaller divergence and it is an amazing RF.. This year I ranged elk through heavy snow @ 800 plus. I also had my Swaro el range and my sig 2400 with me. They stopped @ 30-40 yards, no good in heay rain/fog/snow

I could differentiate between elk 5-10 yards apart with the 10

I don’t know of course, but it seems the laser choice is related to the beam divergence/efficiency/total tech integration of said unit

Also, I believe the main reason the 1550 is utilized vs the 905 is that the 1550 wavelength is outside the spectrum of NV capabability.

Last edited:
    Reactions: charles63
    Thanks lowlight. Hope a price shows up soon. They usually DO make the best lasers despite my earlier rant.

I might get another this time around just as soon as I can stomach it being disposable as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:
    I was under the understanding that the original terrapin had a 905 diode in it, but it was switched to the 1550 after the first run.
    Deano

905nm vs the 1550nm that the original terrapin has. Why the change in diode wavelength? Am I missing something? I realize that the 905 transmits better through humidity in the air, but limits tof, and distance. Most of the high end rangefinders are still using the 1550nm.

Thoughts? Is it cheaper to produce or what are the benefits?

Deano

Like Detroit said, the 1550nm laser can't be seen under night vision. For military purposes, this is an important feature. We spec our equipment to fight our most sophisticated adversaries who have equipment equivalent to or in some cases better than what we have. Since the military makes up the majority of sales, they build the higher end models to cater to those customers. It's no big deal for the U.S. military to buy 10,000 PLRF-15Cs where civilians have to really stretch to buy just one.

A friend of mine that has owened several said that the originals were first introduced with the 905nm, but changed them to the 1550 after the first run of them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Xdeano

Been doing a bit of work with RF's lately, but have no experience with Vectronix other than reading about them. Communication/integration with solvers seems to be one of the main factors that is separating top competitors, but so far everyone seems to have left something on the table in that regard. So I'm really curious as to what information is displayed and where with this RF...that is...if it is talking to a Kestrel with AB, does the RF display the shoot to solution as determined by the kestrel in the RF display, or does the RF just feed range, angle, and compass direction to the kestrel, and then the shooter pulls the shoot to solution off the Kestrel?

Edit: Finally got most of the video to play (not all). That and looking at the PDF, looks like what can be displayed in the RF is most of the same stuff you would see in a Leica (even uses the same 'equivalent horizontal range' terminology). The big difference in terms of integration is that it then dumps the data automatically into the Kestrel for the shooter to pull the solution from. No need to input or look at the range card etc. At least, that is what I gather from the video and the basic PDF.

Last edited:
    I'm curious as to if it will pair up with a Trimble running Ffs

This could mean a trip across the pond, I would still like a 1550nm version though.

Is this the reason why everyone is dumping their plrf's? The optics (for sale) section is loaded with them???

Pretty likely. The new gets to folks.

If I were vectronix I wouldn’t brand this vectronix in the states. Call it a Safran or some new brand to distance themselves from the last debacle. Maybe stand up a new company to handle warranty too.

FYI, signed up for their newsletter last night and left my contact information. This morning I had not one, but two personal emails from Safran/Vectronix staff letting me know I was registered. Hopefully this will be indicative of the service commitmant they are willing to make to the civilian market. Anybody want to buy an old Terrapin...?

Reactions: MilDot1960
    Sure, they're attentive when you're interested in buying. Let's see how long their attention span is when someone needs help after shelling out $2K.

Reactions: solvovir
    I have the PLRF10, they seem to have limited the range to 3000. My PLRF15 would run out ro 5k plus - but had a larger beam divergence. The 10 has the smallest of the PLRF’s and the new Tx is smaller yet.

The original terrapin runs the 905 not the 1550. I have owned 3 and they are fabulous RF’s.

BTW, having owned and used in adverse conditions 3 PLF’s and 3 Terrapins I would like to report that I had zero issues or malfunctions an have extreme confidence in the quality of Vectronix products.

That being said, I like the 10 better than the 15 because of the smaller divergence and it is an amazing RF.. This year I ranged elk through heavy snow @ 800 plus. I also had my Swaro el range and my sig 2400 with me. They stopped @ 30-40 yards, no good in heay rain/fog/snow

I could differentiate between elk 5-10 yards apart with the 10

I don’t know of course, but it seems the laser choice is related to the beam divergence/efficiency/total tech integration of said unit

Also, I believe the main reason the 1550 is utilized vs the 905 is that the 1550 wavelength is outside the spectrum of NV capabability.[/QUOTE

I also have a PLRF10 still running strong zero issues

I tried my LRF out in thick fog where it was hard to see past 100-150yds yet I was getting readings out to 230yards with the laser.

Yeah mate I was just clowning around, (y)
    No offense taken.
    I have a PLRF15C and it's amazing. I don't like to think about what happens if it goes tits up. When I bought it (used), I justified the cost by telling myself it should last at least a decade. Now I'm afraid to take it out for fear it gets dropped.