• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

San Antonio

Jmilera

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Gents I will soon be finishing grad school and will be looking forward to moving to San Antonio. I was wondering what the crime rate is there as opposed to the border town areas? Should I choose within the city or the outskirts such as Hondo or Helotes.
Thanks for the info.

Re: San Antonio

I was limited to buying a house in San Antonio because of my stepdaughter. I have been told but don't know first hand that if you go outside of Bexar County, the property taxes fall dramatically.

Anything in the hill country area will be expensive with high taxes. Hondo, castroville areas are very reasonable. Try even going a little south like florence or east like sequin.

I grew up in San Antonio, well north of SA, in Schertz. Just like with any large city, you are going to find crime and shady people if you look for it. But if your question is whether SA has as much crime as a border town, the answer is a resounding NO! I plan on moving back to Texas once I decide to get out of the Marine Corps, and my wife and I will be looking on the outskirts of town for some land. I love SA. It's a great place to raise a family. Good luck!

I lived in the city limits for about 9 years. in that time our house was broken into 3 times cars broken into once and things stolen off the property regularly. We did not live in a bad area but there were several bad areas within a mile or so. People would come over from those areas thinking it would be an easy score.

I woke up one night to my dad beating the living fuck out of some ass hole that broke in. we moved away when i was 14

I have been in the San Antonio area for 20 years, no problems, I would recommend the far NE side towards Schertz, Garden Ridge area or up north on 281 depends on your budget. I have no experienced any crime, etc. San Antonio is a great place and pretty cheap to live compared to other areas---Austin/Dallas but it still has that small town feel. Good luck!

never lived there but I have been to San Antonio about 5 times... I LOVE it there... The river walk at night is guarenteed to get you some...

Schertz, Universal City, Converse, Seguin, Marion, or any of the smaller towns on the outskirts are nice and typically more affordable. My wife was born and raised in Shertz and when her Grandfather died he left us some property in Seguin and I would love to build a house on it to retire to.

Le for sa here:
East side towards houston, getting shot up. Majority : african american. South side is majority hispanic, (farmers and trade workers from the valley) west side: 50% white 50% hispanic. This is where you'll find the lowriders and sreet ricers. North side ; majority white, highest autoburglary area.
Im just generalizing please dont take offense. Race has little to do with crime but plays a factor on moving in. there are wonderfull places inbetween all of these as well as eye sores

Socioeconomic status has everything to do with crime there are bad people in every race and ethnicity.