• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 elite precision

This is like a "Ford vs Chevy" debate to me. I'm a former Marine, so YES I can shoot. I'm not a professional shooter. We all know that you can buy anything and have issues with it, maybe bad product, customer service, etc.... (recently had both with Sig Sauer and my Cross - but now it's fixed and I like it alot) but I honestly do not know why people bag on Savage so much. Are they perfect, NO, they aren't but they do (and Ruger) offer a very good product for a good price point for the majority that do not compete and just want to have fun shooting or hunting. For those of you that are having issues, I hope they get resolved ASAP!!

I completely agree that if you want to compete at the top level, you need top of the line equipment. Equipment that costs easily 2x (more like 2.5-3x) what this Savage rifle costs. Why do we try to compare a $2K rifle to a $5K rifle? I'm not talking specifics like this original thread with the issues, but in general the comparisons to me seem "apples to oranges"

I recently ordered a Savage Elite 110 in 6MM creedmoor. I wanted to build a custom rifle but just the barreled action alone was $2K. Then the ACC chassis in the sniper grey color was like $1,350! So, I bought the 6mm rifle for $1,759 and to me it's worth it. I've had a few Savage rifles over the years and I've had no issues.

This is like a "Ford vs Chevy" debate to me. I'm a former Marine, so YES I can shoot. I'm not a professional shooter. We all know that you can buy anything and have issues with it, maybe bad product, customer service, etc.... (recently had both with Sig Sauer and my Cross - but now it's fixed and I like it alot) but I honestly do not know why people bag on Savage so much. Are they perfect, NO, they aren't but they do (and Ruger) offer a very good product for a good price point for the majority that do not compete and just want to have fun shooting or hunting. For those of you that are having issues, I hope they get resolved ASAP!!

I completely agree that if you want to compete at the top level, you need top of the line equipment. Equipment that costs easily 2x (more like 2.5-3x) what this Savage rifle costs. Why do we try to compare a $2K rifle to a $5K rifle? I'm not talking specifics like this original thread with the issues, but in general the comparisons to me seem "apples to oranges"

I recently ordered a Savage Elite 110 in 6MM creedmoor. I wanted to build a custom rifle but just the barreled action alone was $2K. Then the ACC chassis in the sniper grey color was like $1,350! So, I bought the 6mm rifle for $1,759 and to me it's worth it. I've had a few Savage rifles over the years and I've had no issues.
I agree 100%! Great value on almost all my savages I’ve purchased over the years. You have to factor “value” into the decision and almost always savages are great value. I love this gun in 338 Lapua and love the ACC Chassis.

I have this one in .223 rem, and another in 6mm creed. They both shoot very well, I put bolt lift kits in both rifles with aftermarket handles and knobs. Much easier and smoother than stock. For the money I think these are very good rifles.
View attachment 7581176
I installed a couple bolt lift kits. I couldn't tell much of a difference in bolt lift but a scale said that it was about half. After an unfortunate incident involving a hot load and a carbon ring killed an ejector, I replaced the bolt head with a silver (stainless maybe?) one because it was all I could find. The silver bolt head gave the action a much smoother feel than the original blued one.

The 110 EP is a "good" rifle but mine came with SO many issues that it will be my last Savage. I had to get a buddy to help who is a "somebody" which really made me uncomfortable.

If I had to do it all over again I would have saved up a bit more money and just gone custom.

Reactions: RMB
The 110 EP is a "good" rifle but mine came with SO many issues that it will be my last Savage. I had to get a buddy to help who is a "somebody" which really made me uncomfortable.

If I had to do it all over again I would have saved up a bit more money and just gone custom.
sorry to hear that man, sell the savage barreled action cheap (unload it) and at least you have a great chassis to start with

Reactions: wbm

What issues specifically? Not trying to be a PITA - sincerely asking. Because pretty much any of the existing issues can be solved with a phone call to Savage or $20 worth of parts to tune things up. Did you expect too much or is the gun seriously defective? Savage is pretty good about warranty issues.

My Savage and everyone I know who has purchased Savage have had no issues unless there are expectations that exceed the price point of the guns. What's the issues?

VooDoo

What issues specifically? Not trying to be a PITA - sincerely asking. Because pretty much any of the existing issues can be solved with a phone call to Savage or $20 worth of parts to tune things up. Did you expect too much or is the gun seriously defective? Savage is pretty good about warranty issues.

My Savage and everyone I know who has purchased Savage have had no issues unless there are expectations that exceed the price point of the guns. What's the issues?

VooDoo
I bought my 110EP after shooting the cover gun used in a lot of magazines. I was the first person to put rounds through the cover gun so you can’t say it was cherry picked from the factory.

My first one was LASER accurate, just like the cover gun I shot but it had serious issues making it essentially a single shot rifle.

It wouldn’t feed because of the extractor, and I had to hand load rounds into the chamber. It wouldn’t extract the fired round and it wouldn’t eject a fired round the times it did extract.

Using factory ammo it required two hands to lift the bolt on a fired round, the brass showed no signs of pressure. I tried Federal Gold Medal Match, Hornady Match and handloads. All were the same.

Cycling the bold was rough and it galled the shit out of the lugs, chewed them up something awful.

Savage made me ship it back on my dime, didn’t touch it for three months and decided in month 4 they would send me a new one, that took a month.

It wasn’t until other folks got involved that I saw any movement.

I love the replacement rifle but even it had issues. Wouldn’t feed or eject until I changed the extractor ball and the ejector.

I’m an airplane mechanic by trade so I sent them a very detailed squawk list that included pictures, measurements and detailed descriptions of the problem. If they had bothered to read it they would’ve had an easier time deciding to send me a new one.

All in all, it cost me $100 in ammo, $25 in parts and $175 in shipping costs to get my “elite” rifle to not function like a Kentucky rifle.

Reactions: b6graham
I bought my 110EP after shooting the cover gun used in a lot of magazines. I was the first person to put rounds through the cover gun so you can’t say it was cherry picked from the factory.

My first one was LASER accurate, just like the cover gun I shot but it had serious issues making it essentially a single shot rifle.

It wouldn’t feed because of the extractor, and I had to hand load rounds into the chamber. It wouldn’t extract the fired round and it wouldn’t eject a fired round the times it did extract.

Using factory ammo it required two hands to lift the bolt on a fired round, the brass showed no signs of pressure. I tried Federal Gold Medal Match, Hornady Match and handloads. All were the same.

Cycling the bold was rough and it galled the shit out of the lugs, chewed them up something awful.

Savage made me ship it back on my dime, didn’t touch it for three months and decided in month 4 they would send me a new one, that took a month.

It wasn’t until other folks got involved that I saw any movement.

I love the replacement rifle but even it had issues. Wouldn’t feed or eject until I changed the extractor ball and the ejector.

I’m an airplane mechanic by trade so I sent them a very detailed squawk list that included pictures, measurements and detailed descriptions of the problem. If they had bothered to read it they would’ve had an easier time deciding to send me a new one.

All in all, it cost me $100 in ammo, $25 in parts and $175 in shipping costs to get my “elite” rifle to not function like a Kentucky rifle.

It is disappointing to see Savage drop the ball on the customer support side, they should wake up and up their game.

I have a Savage 12 in 6.5 CM and it is the most accurate gun in my safe. Factory blueprinted action and bolt. Have seen multiple 1” groups at 600 when conditions are calm. But the bolt lift is fairly hard, so you lose sight picture when you cycle the bolt in a prone position. It does not always feed reliably. OK when shot slowly from a bench, and single feeding, and if you are happy to break position every time. Also ejection works maybe 80% of the time, but at least extraction works well enough. I will never sell the rifle, because it is as accurate as some F class rifles, at least in calm conditions when my lack of wind reading skills matter much less.

It seems Savage is happy to built accurate rifles that functions sub-par (or sometimes not not at all) compared to say a Ruger RPR in 338, which is in the same price category as the Elite Precision. The world has moved on, and Savage is falling behind. The quality of the action matters to most folks. These problems have been known to Savage top management for decades, and they have chosen not to redesign their action. These are simple problems that good mechanical engineers can out-design.

I am looking for a 338 LM right now. Looked at Savage Elite Precision, and watched the prices creep up as the panic buying took hold. How do you justify spending $2.3K on a Savage 338 when an MPA dealer like Extreme Guns and Ammo (close by in Rosenburg just outside my home town of Houston) will sell you a discounted MPA chassis gun off the rack for less than $2.9K, if you ask nicely, and you get a Defiance action, a hand lapped Spencer barrel, a good brake, a superb TriggerTech Special trigger, with the chamber indicated to 0.1 thou? And a 0.5 MOA guarantee? I think most folks will pay that fairly small premium for a semi custom rifle and a zero wait.

My 6.5 CM that i bought from ExtremeGuns was in stock, in fact they had dozens of them in stock, it had zero issues and shot 0.4” groups on day one with Hornady factory match ammo. Berger factory ammo did even better, and group size improved to 0.3” with hand loads. Sometimes in the 1’s and 2’s.

Every time i contacted MPA by email, for example to order a new (weird) 7 twist 30 cal long barrel in 300 WSM for monos, or a muzzle brake replacement (mine was a Gen 1 and incompatible with the Kinetic Solutions barrel tuner), they bent over backwards to help me. And I’m nobody. After 2000 rounds the rifle developed an occasional misfire and SD went up, i contacted them immediately, got a quick response (24 hours later), and Woody helped me trouble shoot it. Their attitude was “Let’s run through these trouble shooting steps with you, and if that does not resolve it, send in the rifle and we will fix it”. Turned out it was self-inflicted: Grease somehow got into the bolt body, delaying the firing pin fall (causing drag), i cleaned it out with a good solvent, and SD is now back at 7 fps, problem solved!

But Savage is not alone, i have had a bad experience with Remington two years ago. Badly cut chamber, with burrs inside, sent the gun back (they paid for it), but it is still not fully resolved. Brass comes out with deep scratches on it. Not sure i want to reload brass like that.

I think these days most people are just not tolerant of poor product quality or poor customer service anymore. Both Savage and Remington need to learn that lesson. Remington had multiple bankruptcies already, and their product quality problems contributed to their woes. Savage needs to pay attention to their long running problems. They are still a profitable company, and can afford a design update once in 15 or 20 years.

Last edited:
All in all I guess I have learned from these treads that the quality of Savage rifles seems to be inconsistent. They seem accurate but I keep reading about folks who have had/are having irresolvable issues. I am glad I have not experienced any of this stuff as while the action I have is not as smooth as a custom gun it feeds and extracts/ejects flawlessly. Sucks that some have been turned off but I guess Savage has that coming by not resolving stuff with good customer service - any contact I have had with Savage has been exemplary so I guess that is inconsistent as well.

I have always said that if I build another precision rifle I'd probably start with another Savage (Gaad I want to run a .338 LM) but now I feel like I'd be rolling the dice. No one needs inconsistency but I'm afraid this kind of thing is going to be with us going forward in factory guns as I have read the same stuff about Ruger Precision Rifles. Most are fine - some just seem to defy being put right.

VooDoo

Reactions: NamibHunter
All in all I guess I have learned from these treads that the quality of Savage rifles seems to be inconsistent. They seem accurate but I keep reading about folks who have had/are having irresolvable issues. I am glad I have not experienced any of this stuff as while the action I have is not as smooth as a custom gun it feeds and extracts/ejects flawlessly. Sucks that some have been turned off but I guess Savage has that coming by not resolving stuff with good customer service - any contact I have had with Savage has been exemplary so I guess that is inconsistent as well.

I have always said that if I build another precision rifle I'd probably start with another Savage (Gaad I want to run a .338 LM) but now I feel like I'd be rolling the dice. No one needs inconsistency but I'm afraid this kind of thing is going to be with us going forward in factory guns as I have read the same stuff about Ruger Precision Rifles. Most are fine - some just seem to defy being put right.

VooDoo
It’s an accurate gun, especially now that I’ve tuned a load to it.

The long road to get there is what turned me off of Savage.

Attachments

• 221DB3C6-7EE6-45B2-9188-4AEDEEC9053A.jpg
    221DB3C6-7EE6-45B2-9188-4AEDEEC9053A.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 110
Savage delivers a solid product at their price point, but like any mass-production firearm some will have issues.
It's most important to consider that price point when shooters gripe about bolt lift, extraction and the like. For less than the price of a custom action alone, they offer a .338 LM that'll easily shoot sub minute and often much better.

For some, a buttery-slick running action is a must; others not so much so long as it hits what yer aiming at.

Just got my 338 elite precision. Looking for a case that it will fit in, at a lower price point than an SKB. Silencerco asr brake adds a couple inches, and don't really want to reset LOP to get it into a case. Ideas?

Just got my 338 elite precision. Looking for a case that it will fit in, at a lower price point than an SKB. Silencerco asr brake adds a couple inches, and don't really want to reset LOP to get it into a case. Ideas?
Purchase the folding stock adapter from MDT and use any case you’d like.

Except they don't make the adapter for the acc chassis. Would have to change to the shorter folding buttstock. Any other ideas?

Now that I have sent about 60 rounds downrange on my new Savage Elite Precision 110, I like the rifle but would NOT recommend it for competition. For the money, its a good rifle, but the action is a little "rough" and rounds do not seem to feed well. I do not compete, but would find this rifle very frustrating with these issues if competing. I wonder how I can make it "better" as far as user experience. Possibly just needs a little break in time. It does shoot well.

Now that I have sent about 60 rounds downrange on my new Savage Elite Precision 110, I like the rifle but would NOT recommend it for competition. For the money, its a good rifle, but the action is a little "rough" and rounds do not seem to feed well. I do not compete, but would find this rifle very frustrating with these issues if competing. I wonder how I can make it "better" as far as user experience. Possibly just needs a little break in time. It does shoot well.
What kind of issues you having? I'm about 1200-1250 rounds in and have shot 5 matches so far.

What kind of issues you having? I'm about 1200-1250 rounds in and have shot 5 matches so far.
Feeding issues. Bolt isn't picking up rounds from magazine well. Extracting isnt great either. Bolt action and throw is a little rough. I guess it will take some time to work out some kinks, but I know there's a kit I can buy for the extracting issue. I use Hobo oil and it has helped the bolt get alot smoother.

Feeding issues. Bolt isn't picking up rounds from magazine well. Extracting isnt great either. Bolt action and throw is a little rough. I guess it will take some time to work out some kinks, but I know there's a kit I can buy for the extracting issue. I use Hobo oil and it has helped the bolt get alot smoother.
See my video link. Is that the problem you're having? My Savage's action is rough too. Tikka's are the smoothest out of any production class gun. I've learned to put my thumb behind the bolt to drive it forward and it has helped me a shit ton. Prior to putting my thumb on the back sometimes the bolt would get "stuck".

See my video link. Is that the problem you're having? My Savage's action is rough too. Tikka's are the smoothest out of any production class gun. I've learned to put my thumb behind the bolt to drive it forward and it has helped me a shit ton. Prior to putting my thumb on the back sometimes the bolt would get "stuck".

Pretty much YES, also when closing the bolt it does not always pick up the rounds from the magazine. I'll try your "thumb" method

I called Savage today about the extraction / ejection issues (yes it seems to have both issues randomly) and they played "dumb" offered to send me a replacement stock ejector kit. If the original doesn't work, WHY would the replacement work? I could see if this is a one-off issue, but many people are having this issue. I told the customer service guy (who was very nice) I have my own solution, pass it up the chain of command I'll NEVER buy another Savage rifle.

If you think I'm being a little harsh, Im NOT. To me we all make mistakes (including myself) but what matters to me is how the mistake was handled and rectified. Savage doesn't seem to care about this issue because it's been going on for years (google it) so I'll continue to buy guns in the future, just NOT a Savage.

Reactions: wbm

You lost me at, "I'm a former Marine, so YES I can shoot."

I served with far too many window-licking, pizzabox-wearing grunts to give you any credibility in marksmanship based purely on earning an eagle, globe, and anchor.

That's as far as I made it into the post, will leave it alone, I don't shoot Savage guns, nothing against them.

Carry on.

• Haha
Reactions: BFD Guns
I dont know what's so hard to understand that I know how to shoot, and can shoot pretty well. And you are WHO to decide my marksmanship? Do I need to get out a chalkboard and go slower for you to catchup?

I dont know what's so hard to understand that I know how to shoot, and can shoot pretty well. And you are WHO to decide my marksmanship? Do I need to get out a chalkboard and go slower for you to catchup?
I'll do the magnanimous thing and let you flail around uncontested.

Carry on.

I told the customer service guy (who was very nice) I have my own solution, pass it up the chain of command I'll NEVER buy another Savage rifle.
Don't worry, I told the gal the same thing to, to relay my solution to design engineering a few months after the Elite Precision was released.
Accept the replacement plunger because I did bevel the wrong side so luckily I had the new replacement one to correctly bevel and feed problems was solved. Luckily I don't have extraction problems.

I called Savage today about the extraction / ejection issues (yes it seems to have both issues randomly) and they played "dumb" offered to send me a replacement stock ejector kit. If the original doesn't work, WHY would the replacement work? I could see if this is a one-off issue, but many people are having this issue. I told the customer service guy (who was very nice) I have my own solution, pass it up the chain of command I'll NEVER buy another Savage rifle.

If you think I'm being a little harsh, Im NOT. To me we all make mistakes (including myself) but what matters to me is how the mistake was handled and rectified. Savage doesn't seem to care about this issue because it's been going on for years (google it) so I'll continue to buy guns in the future, just NOT a Savage.

I agree with this sentiment 100%.

By continuing to purchase products from companies with crappy service you are inadvertently saying "I like getting screwed!"

Reactions: BFD Guns
I agree with this sentiment 100%.

By continuing to purchase products from companies with crappy service you are inadvertently saying "I like getting screwed!"
For what it’s worth I got my Elite last week and I was concerned I’d have all these issues, looking at the ejector, they seem to be listening because it was beveled.
The issue I ran in to was piercing primers. The firing pin was protruding .064 and drilling my primers, Easy adjustment.
Other then that all I did was messed around with a tight Pmag.

For what it’s worth I got my Elite last week and I was concerned I’d have all these issues, looking at the ejector, they seem to be listening because it was beveled.
The issue I ran in to was piercing primers. The firing pin was protruding .064 and drilling my primers, Easy adjustment.
Other then that all I did was messed around with a tight Pmag.

Brand new Elite and it was beveled?

It should of came with a MDT mag. PMAG's will fit if you file off approx 0.06" of the mag's latch.

Brand new Elite and it was beveled?

It should of came with a MDT mag. PMAG's will fit if you file off approx 0.06" of the mag's latch.
Yup brand new direct from Savage, and I had bought the upgraded kit with the new springs and all. Not complaining always nice to have spares.

yea so I filed down the top of the feed lips and smoothed them with 800 sandpaper and the PMag works better the AI mag that came with the gun.

How do you buy direct from Savage, if you click “Buy Now” they send you to their top dealers:

1F939538-7F62-4BA6-8AC6-6C533D44D1A9.png

Is there a different way to buy factory direct?

sounds like you're the one confused and flailing around. Magnanimous, haha, I'm 6'4, 247 lbs and could literally crush you bro. Keep talking little man
I am sure you are as good at shooting as you are at being an internet badass and at using false equivalencies.
Today, I am thankful for the “ignore” feature, and - if I had to guess - many in your sphere of influence would say the same.
Farewell, dumbshit, I shall engage your stupid no more.

I wanted to ask those that have a Elite precision, if they have checked the level of the action against the level of the chassis.

I was working on mine tonight and noticed that the action seemed canted and sure enough when I checked it against the chassis with a level the two where off.

I have a new .300WM where the barrel is slightly closer to the right side of the chassis than the left. I figured this was a matter of the bolts connecting the action to the chassis having some slop/tolerance, so I loosened them. Once they were loosened, perfectly straight!

I put in some shims on the right side to stop any gap (the ones I have from doing points and condenser on old cars), used a micrometer to ensure equal gaps, and tightened them back up incrementally to 65 in-lb. Sure enough, it ends up back in the same spot. I haven’t shot it yet, but it makes sense to me that it shouldn’t hurt it. I can report back later, but take that with a grain of salt; I’m like a “B” grade shooter.

Reactions: 631Shooter
I have a new .300WM where the barrel is slightly closer to the right side of the chassis than the left. I figured this was a matter of the bolts connecting the action to the chassis having some slop/tolerance, so I loosened them. Once they were loosened, perfectly straight!

I put in some shims on the right side to stop any gap (the ones I have from doing points and condenser on old cars), used a micrometer to ensure equal gaps, and tightened them back up incrementally to 65 in-lb. Sure enough, it ends up back in the same spot. I haven’t shot it yet, but it makes sense to me that it shouldn’t hurt it. I can report back later, but take that with a grain of salt; I’m like a “B” grade shooter.
Ok so I’m not going crazy. I actually skim bedded the rifle last night and as I’m sitting there looking at it bench height was like wtf? So I put levels on and noticed the difference. Being the bedding had not set I loosened the screw, leveled the action to the stock and let it set. I just didn’t care for the uneven wear marks I was seeing.

Little thread revival. Did the guys with the long actions come with a muzzle brake? Savage description says brakes are with short actions only.
What brake did everyone use? And what's the thread pitch? 5/8x24?

Last edited:
Little thread revival. Did the guys with the long actions come with a muzzle brake? Savage description says brakes are with short actions only.
What brake did everyone use?
I'm running an APA Gen3 on my savage, and i recently tried a MBM Beast 4 port on a 308 which is equally impressive for the money.

Reactions: Rich4922
What brake did everyone use? And what's the thread pitch? 5/8x24?
No factory brake came with as expected. Installed a PVA Shockwave brake. Caution: Your shooting pals next to you will hate you.

• Haha
Reactions: Rich4922
No factory brake came with as expected. Installed a PVA Shockwave brake. Caution: Your shooting pals next to you will hate you.
For 338 LM I bought the muzzle brakes and more 5 port super beast in stainless and it’s a fantastic brake but obviously very loud.

I put an ASR 3 port brake on my 338 lm. Mainly made this choice to mount my Harvestor big bore when it gets out of stamp jail, lol.

does anyone know what scope base this or the 110 precision takes? I got the badger ordinance for a 110 long action with accutrigger and it doesn’t have the same size screws and the recoil lug is in the way. I wanted something a bit more sturdy than the rail that came with it.

does anyone know what scope base this or the 110 precision takes? I got the badger ordinance for a 110 long action with accutrigger and it doesn’t have the same size screws and the recoil lug is in the way. I wanted something a bit more sturdy than the rail that came with it.
Can you take a picture of the receiver and your Badger rail?

Do a search for Picatinny Rail Savage 110 and you'll find a host of options.