• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage Dumping the 300 Blackout

rick983

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
I have been very interested in building a bolt action rifle in 300 Blackout that I could suppress. I wanted to shoot the 200+ grain bullets at subsonice velocities. I went to the Savage site as I knew they were developing a rifle and read that they were dropping the whole thing. Their explanation is <span style="font-style: italic">"This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles.</span> A few years ago I experimented with a 300 Whisper in a T/C Contender and found I could not get good groups with the heavy bullets I was using. I finally gave up. Maybe shooting heavy bullets at subsonic velocities in a short case just doesn't work!