• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SBR question regarding overall length

Kyle7

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2013
Watertown, SD
Hello gents,

I am entertaining the idea of buying an SBR upper receiver, but I am curious about the overall length a rifle must be before you have to have it registered as an SBR, in an attempt to save a few months of waiting. I know that a rifle's barrel must be at least 16 inches or have an overall length of 26 inches to not be defined as a short barreled rifle...with that being said, say I buy a fixed stock and get rid of all buffer tubes that accommodate adjustable stocks and adjustable stocks I own, and when the whole project is completed the rifle has an overall length of 26 inches without a flash suppressor/muzzle brake. So my question is is this in violation of the NFA laws, or have I misinterpreted something along the line? Thank you for helping me out guys, I greatly appreciate it!

I think the law is 16" barrel and 26" not or.
If your barrel is 16 then even with an adjustable stock it will not be an sbr.
I've got a 7.5" barreled pws pistol setup, faster and almost as good with no wait
That is about 24" , it's in the for sale section if you'd like to see.
Cheers
Sean

Barrel length is the key. Anything less than 16" with any kind of stock (fixed or adjustable) and you need a stamp.

Pistols are different. The lower cannot have been part of a rifle that was registered as a rifle. If you use a new lower and build it into a pistol (no buttstock), then you can mount your short barreled upper w/o a stamp.

BR,

Hello gents,

I am entertaining the idea of buying an SBR upper receiver, but I am curious about the overall length a rifle must be before you have to have it registered as an SBR, in an attempt to save a few months of waiting. I know that a rifle's barrel must be at least 16 inches or have an overall length of 26 inches to not be defined as a short barreled rifle...with that being said, say I buy a fixed stock and get rid of all buffer tubes that accommodate adjustable stocks and adjustable stocks I own, and when the whole project is completed the rifle has an overall length of 26 inches without a flash suppressor/muzzle brake. So my question is is this in violation of the NFA laws, or have I misinterpreted something along the line? Thank you for helping me out guys, I greatly appreciate it!

Who do you plan to get rid of these buffer tubes (receiver extension)???