• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Scope base screw problem

Texas_Archer

Long-time Lurker
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2009
Houston, TX
The screw went in with little difficulty, but now it just turns, will not tighten up, and will not back out. Any thoughts?

Re: Scope base screw problem

Take the rest of the screws out, and gently put some upward pressure on the stripped screw , by lightly, ever so lightly prying/pulling up on the base, while turning it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: misguided child2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the rest of the screws out, and gently put some upward pressure on the stripped screw , by lightly, ever so lightly prying/pulling up on the base, while turning it out. </div></div>\

Tried that, it doesn't work. The screw went in fine half way down. I tried all four screws that came with the badger mount and they all ran into the same problem. I figured the hole just had paint in it, but I guess not. Im sending this gun to a gunsmith next week to have it cut down and threaded, I will let them fix this also.

15 inch pounds is not good and tight, find a gunsmith to fix the hole and mount everything for you, lesson learned.

I saw that it said that on the package, but if you look on their website they suggest 65 in lbs.

I still do not believe this is my fault. I know I did not cross thread it. I really think the threads were screwed up.

Im betting the front one

From Badgers Web Site:

"Now tighten all 4 screws, pushing the mount forward as you tighten. If you have an
adjustable torque wrench, the mounting screws should be 15-18 INCH-POUNDS."

65 inchpounds is the torque spec for the 1/2 inch nut on the rings to the mount.

You might consider, if you are having them "recut" to have them opened to the next size up, number 8's, for even greater strength. JMHO

I have never seen a scope mount screw strip out in a steel receiver, but I have in Aluminum receivers, like a 10/22.

With a standard Starrett drill and tap chart on the wall of their shop, I see guys go up a size in drills, and still break taps, snap off bolts, and yet never seem strip out the threads in steel.

its just turning, not going in or coming out? will it turn in both directions? please call savage at the number i gave you. i called about the issue a had with them being all filled with coating. they just blew it off kinda. 4 screws in the holes as they coated the rifle would have prevented this i bet. would have on mine and a few others i read about.

even if it were going to a smith, id try to get savage to foot the shipping both ways to getit fixed. if not, your smith will fix it. still sucks to have to buy stuff to fix a new gun. it was my only beef about my rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might consider, if you are having them "recut" to have them opened to the next size up, number 8's, for even greater strength. JMHO </div></div>
+1. This is a good upgrade that can kill two birds - possibly three with one stone.

<span style="font-style: italic">Bird 1:</span> You have to fix the stripped screw anyway, so moving up to the next size (guessing 8-40), is a no-brainer.

<span style="font-style: italic">Bird 2:</span> The gunsmith can check the screw hole alignment, and correct it (if off) when he overbores the existing screw holes.

<span style="font-style: italic">Bird 3:</span> You didn't mention what action or caliber, but the extra strength of a larger screw size is nice to have - especially if using a heavy scope. And even if the recoil of the cartridge does not "require" it, the extra strength wont hurt.

Although, from what the OP posted, it sounds like he applied 65 inch pounds to the base screws (Doh!!!), so <span style="font-style: italic">the "problem" seems to be the nut behind the screw, rather than the screw itself:</span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas_Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw that it said that on the package, but if you look on their website they suggest 65 in lbs.

I still do not believe this is my fault. I know I did not cross thread it. I really think the threads were screwed up.
</div></div>

Keith

in talking to him, i dont think the screw got far enough down to get to a stage where any torque, be it 15 or 65, was ever applied. i took it as it stopped mid way, he tried other screws in the same hole, met with resistance, mounted the base and the last screw he tried never went all the way in, or will come back out. i could be wrong?

No, not at all. I bet I never applied more than 10 in lbs of resistance. While I am new to this website, this is not my first scope to mount. It makes no sense
to me ad to why the screw will not back out. I do not tighten the screws until they are all in and finger tight. The screw that is a problem is the second from the bolt knob end of the gun.

The rifle is a Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine. The base is a 20 MOA Badger, rings are Badger, scope is Trijicon TR23.

I think the Savage 10 carbine is still coated like the Savage 10FP's right? If so, you need to chase the threads with a tap before threading a screw into them. I'm surprised you got a screw to start at all. That black paint they use gets into the threads and makes it practically impossible to thread a screw in cleanly. It may have started cross-threaded and then stripped once it couldn't go any further because of the gunk in the threads. Normal SS or blue receivers from Savage don't have this problem. Just the black ones in the 10 series that I've seen.

Mike

Yeah, same coating. 3/4 screws went in with no problems, just had a problem with one of them.

here is mine...

4387744217_0c15bbed65_b.jpg

4387747743_ce6c540a7a_b.jpg

4388507550_ab7b12daf6_b.jpg

4388531512_3df8312e1a_b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might consider, if you are having them "recut" to have them opened to the next size up, number 8's, for even greater strength. JMHO </div></div>

Why,how many times have you seen a #6 screw shear off? Then its a pain in the ass to get a rail opened up for #8's.

Got a call from the Smith yesterday. It seems that Savage did not thread the hole all the way through and thats why it gummed up.

have him document that and call them and see what they can do for you, or at least let them know you went to a smith to get their mistake fixed. they may not do anything, or you might get something for your troubles. i got a free rifle sock. it wont fit over my scope easily, but its pretty, lol

Texas, AXEMAN'S point is valid. Savage won't change what they are doing if they don't perceive a problem, and if no one complains, there is no problem. It may be a little thing, but it is poor workmanship or quality control and when I buy a gun I don't nor should I, expect to have to ship it off for repairs before I can use it! It may have been no big deal for you, but for the next guy (maybe me) it might be a royal pain in the ass.

so far ive asked everybody who had gummed up holes like mine to call and ask why the dont fill the holes or clean them out before shipping my $900 rifle like that and forcing me to search for a tap to clean up their crap. had you not been sending your rifle to a smith, where would you be? surely they could do something about this issue rather than all of us owners having to buy a tap.