• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope Choices

SouthernShooter83

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2011
I'm trying to decide between 3 scopes to put on my .270 that I use for deer hunting. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Burris, Leupold, or Huskemaw. Which one is the better scope? They're all in the same price range. Probably wouldn't be shooting more than 500-600 yards with them. Any suggestions?

Re: Scope Choices

As one noob to another noob. Best to get really specific in your question. Also use the "custom search" function on the right side of your screen. Research first then ask the question if it hasn't been covered.

What is the purpose you will be using the scope for? What style reticle are you considering? These are the things you need to consider when choosing a scope, all of the scopes you mentioned are reputable but some are considered better for hunting and others for long range target. I mainly have experience with Leupold.

I'd go with Wonders Optics. You can get them in MOA/ MOA or MIL/MIL there 4x14-50mm reticle and turrets match. I have several and all work great there on rifles from a .223 to 338 Win Mag they hold zero all adjustments are repeatable. I use mine to shoot a 1000 yards and when it cools down here will go and start working on shooting 1 mile and more useing them. Good luck with what ever you try. I just figured I world be different instead of follow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SouthernShooter83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm trying to decide between 3 scopes to put on my .270 that I use for deer hunting. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Burris, Leupold, or Huskemaw. Which one is the better scope? They're all in the same price range. Probably wouldn't be shooting more than 500-600 yards with them. Any suggestions? </div></div>

You might want to have a look at Sightron,especially for a hunting scope.They are high quality made in Japan scopes,really good glass,and repeatable adjustments.You will also find your eye relief is the same throughout the entire power range unlike Loopy or Burris.Downside is reticle choices are limited.I've become a big fan over the past couple of years..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You might want to have a look at Sightron,especially for a hunting scope.They are high quality made in Japan scopes,really good glass,and repeatable adjustments.You will also find your eye relief is the same throughout the entire power range unlike Loopy or Burris.Downside is reticle choices are limited.I've become a big fan over the past couple of years..</div></div>

+1

if you can live with a duplex or MD reticle, Sightron scopes are excellent scopes.

Thanks for the pointers. This is my first post. I'm going to be using it for hunting. Sometimes in open field areas, sometimes in timber. I want something in the 5-20 magnification range with mil-dot reticle or something similar. I was thinking of the Huskemaw 5-20X50, the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm ER/T, or the Burris XTR 4-16X50. Hopefully that clarifies some issues. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Of the ones you listed, the 4-16 would be the most suitable.

If you are going to be hunting timber, a low power around 2 or 3 would be best.

If I were in the market for a decent hunting scope, the old standby 3-9 or 2.5-10 would suit my needs.

My favorite hunting scope is a Mueller Tac-2 mil-dot scope.
It is a rebadged sightron, has excellent glass, true tracking with repeatable settings.
The only "bad" thing is that it is a mil/moa scope.

Another excellent option would be the weaver grand slam tactical mil/mil 3-10 from midway.