• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope for M1A

Bisco

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2014
PA
FNG here, looking for scope and ring recommendations. Will be mounted on a Bassett mount. Range would be 50/ 400 m, price 800/1000 willing to spend a little more for the right one.

FNG here, looking for scope and ring recommendations. Will be mounted on a Bassett mount. Range would be 50/ 400 m, price 800/1000 willing to spend a little more for the right one.

Something 2.5-10x power would be my recommendation. Mine has a leupold M3 3.5-10 in Burris rings that I lapped. Other scopes I've used in that power range and price range are the SWFA 3-9, Vortex PST 2.5-10x32, Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mk4 and Nightforce 2.5-10. The Nightforce was the best but the others do the same thing for less money if that makes sense.

Vortex, SWFA, Leupold, Nightforce are all decent and have good warranties too so buying used is not a problem.

Rings I am not very picky although I usually check them with a lapping bar and use a torque wrench to mount them. My burris ones on my M1A are torqued to ~15 in lbs and have not moved in a year. It shouldn't take a herculean effort to hold down a scope provided everything else is set up right.

Great info, will look into those scopes. I heard good things about nightforce and Leopold has always been good to me. I have a lapping bar for my rings,that is what I usually do for all of my hunting setups. Did not know about the torque values.

I'll echo the 2.5-10x mag range recommendation. A lightly used Nightforce 2.5-10x32 would be hard to beat for the $1000 ish price point.

The 32mm Vortex PST would be great as well. The new Burris XTRII's are worth a look. The 1.5-8x would be a great M1A setup also.

For value, the SS 3-9x42 is a favorite at around $600. Weaver Tactical has a 2-10x36 worth mentioning too. Leupold VXR patrol is a nice scope, if you can handle the reticle thickness; the illumination system is nice and daylight bright.

Reactions: Bisco
Hope you don't mind me jumping in because I was going to as the same question. I should have my LRB M25 in a month or so and I will be shooting about the same range. Any preference on the 32 vs 42 with Nightforce 2.5x10?

I tried a 42 on a sadlak mount and the short tube over the rail barely cleared the bell using standard Farrell rings (when set to my cheek weld). Higher rings would fix this. Your mount on a m25 might be slightly better.

Bummed me, because I wanted glass with a parallax control on it. Went to the 15x from another rifle. Works, but I don't really need 15x on a m14. 6-10x seems to be ideal...

Did a little research last night, really liking that nightforce 2.5x10 x 32. With the 32 mm objective I believe it will keep my cheek weld where I like it. Using a Bassett low mount.anybody have any ideas on rings I can use to keep as low as possible?