• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope thoughts for an AR10

Omicron

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Northern Colorado
Recently picked up an AR-10 in 7.62 Nato. As it's an AR, I feel this could be both a main battle rifle, or suitable out to 700+ meters. My question is, what's the best scope for it?

Needs to be able to quickly acquire targets at typical AR-15 ranges (0-300 meters) but also stretch and double that range.

I've had a lot of professional training, and I know I can hit with an AR-15 and a 4 power ACOG with BDC out to 600 meters, so I suspect that with a 6 x ACOG designed for the 308 I could make that work. HOWEVER, the higher the (fixed) power, the less useful it is at close ranges. So I'm thinking something variable power, but with quick target acquisition at close ranges. Too bad Trijicon doesn't make a variable power ACOG.

I don't want to spend $2000 on this scope, would like to stay under $1000 if possible.

So, any suggestions?

Re: Scope thoughts for an AR10

yeah....figure ,.....what.....you will be shooting a 1000yd bullet, or maybe a 800yd bullet......so launching a bullet at a 2moa target at them ranges would require a decent chunk of glass....

something illuminated too........

savvy the luepold 6.5x20 it'll get you there......and beyond

Are you "battling" with this "main battle rifle", or does that just sound really cool?

The job should define the tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah....figure ,.....what.....you will be shooting a 1000yd bullet, or maybe a 800yd bullet......so launching a bullet at a 2moa target at them ranges would require a decent chunk of glass....

savvy the luepold 6.5x20 it'll get you there......and beyond </div></div>So fixed power, not a variable?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you "battling" with this "main battle rifle", or does that just sound really cool?

The job should define the tool. </div></div>Are you helping or just poking at me for sport? Do I really need to define an MBR?

Hopefully I'll never be battling with it.
wink.gif

So yes, while the tool should suit the job, I probably won't carry 3 rifles (AR-15, AR-10, and Barrett M82) all the time. The AR-10 is the in between compromise of the 3, and I'd like to put a multipurpose optic on it. Looking for thoughts and suggestions.

Are you going to be shooting mainly paper, steel, or using it for hunting? Also there are 1000000000 types of ar10's out there, is yours a lightweight carbine a big heavy bull barreled rifle or what?

Well, if you don't mind lower power scopes then there are a couple of really good 1-4 choices for under 1k. I have a PST 1-4 (500$) and like it a lot.

If you want more magnification then my advice would be to get something like the 3-9FFP super sniper, 3.5-10leupie M3, 10X super sniper HD, those sorts of scopes.

I'm not a big fan of compromising. Define the job, then equip the rifle accordingly.
If I hurt your feeling for asking if you would be battling with your MBR too bad. I was asking a legitimate question, as some folk here actually use their stuff on 2way ranges (but I never heard one that actually does use the MBR term).
Not too many folks here set up $3k in a rifle just to blast with.

If you want your rifle to do everything ok, but nothing really well, get and Acog knock yourself out.

USO 1.8-10 would be my recommendation (actually I'd suggest a 3.2-17).

BR's suggestion is solid if you like leupolds, and the 4.4-14 would be a good power range if the 6.5-20 is too high on the low end for you.

Probelm with multipurpose is it tends to be good for nothing. LOL

Seriously, as I see it you want 25 feet to 1000 yards? Thats a problem. For under 50 yards you really need 1x. For a 1000 yards a 10x is all you need.
That leaves out a 1-4
I would comprimise and get one of these
Leupold 3.5-10 MK4 M2 or the M3 version of same scope. Then get correct dial for your load. I have one of these on my AR10 and it works well 50-1000 yards

Have you looked at IOR scopes? They have a 2.5-10x 42mm model for under $1K. If you can stretch the budget to $1,300, you can consider their 1.5-8x 26mm and the 2-12x 32mm models.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested & we can talk specifics of each model, etc.

Best of luck to you.
Ceylon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omicron</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah....figure ,.....what.....you will be shooting a 1000yd bullet, or maybe a 800yd bullet......so launching a bullet at a 2moa target at them ranges would require a decent chunk of glass....

savvy the luepold 6.5x20 it'll get you there......and beyond </div></div>So fixed power, not a variable?</div></div>

defiantly a variable......and you prolly won't be glassing man sized targets , just paper and steel.....so its been my experience that the 6.5x20 you could hunt with also....mlr or mildot will give you what you need

since you truly need "all" distances i would recommend a getting the bushnell 3-12 ffp and then maybe adding a red dot either on top or on the side. its not really my thing but if you think you need it do it!!!

The only person that needs to be happy with the setup is you so just buy what you want. my second choice would be mark 4 4.5x14x50 tmr ill. but it is sfp and cost more than the bushnell.

If $1,000 dollars is what your limit is, my vote would be;
A 4.5x14x50 Leupold tactical L/R or mark 4 with same power.
I believe that this would be a good compromise that can handle fairly closeup work and good field of view with having a better than 10 power magnification on top.
But if you are going to really stretch out the AR-10 then Bolt's right about the 6.5x20 being a good magnification choice
You have to figure out which you want more.
Good luck with your choices.
......SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omicron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recently picked up an AR-10 in 7.62 Nato. As it's an AR, I feel this could be both a main battle rifle, or suitable out to 700+ meters. My question is, what's the best scope for it?

Needs to be able to quickly acquire targets at typical AR-15 ranges (0-300 meters) but also stretch and double that range.

I've had a lot of professional training, and I know I can hit with an AR-15 and a 4 power ACOG with BDC out to 600 meters, so I suspect that with a 6 x ACOG designed for the 308 I could make that work. HOWEVER, the higher the (fixed) power, the less useful it is at close ranges. So I'm thinking something variable power, but with quick target acquisition at close ranges. Too bad Trijicon doesn't make a variable power ACOG.

I don't want to spend $2000 on this scope, would like to stay under $1000 if possible.

So, any suggestions? </div></div>

I would suggest a look at this thread http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2491668#Post2491668

I just answered another post and was able to cut and past the responce here. But I'll edit it because you mentioned 800 yards. I have shot the 1-4 scopes at this distance using a LMT MWS and scored 9 out of 10 hits on a 14" steel plate but that is the ragged edge of seeing the target with a very good 1-4, see photos below.
I think we would all agree that the reason we want a 1-4 optic is to maximize the effectiveness of our rifles from CQB range out to midrange, (which I define as 700 yards, YMMV) in all lighting conditions. Some designs excel at one or the other end of the range spectrum but fail at the other. The same can be said of light conditions. If our rifles and ammunitions’ capabilities exceed those of our optics we have shorted ourselves. In my experience the mildot can serve as a BDC and is superior for precision shooting when coupled with accurate mil adjustment on the turrets. I have not found the DBC reticles as well suited for precision shooting or as accurate for range estimation. Many 1-4 optics lack good target style turrets or mil adjustments. In my view they are not superfluous.

I own or have owned an ACOG, Trijicon TR24 and SWFA SS 1-4 HD and have used the Burris TAC30 and Vortex 1-4 PST and by far prefer the SS 1-4 HD with the Vortex coming in a distant second. I have over a thousand round through rifles using the SS 1-4 HD from 25 yards out to 800 yards and believe it to have the best combination of features and quality to meet the requirements of the 1-4 optic. I have timed it and scored it against an Aimpoint from 25-100 yards and found it would keep up with the Aimpoint under 50 yards and out score it between 50-100 yards. Below are some photos of medium range targets. The industry has introduced some outstanding advances in the last few years in low powered variable optics. The dominance of the lower powered fix magnification and red dot scopes may be drawing to a close. It is an interesting time to be a shooter.

The scope used on both rifles was the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD
LMT MWS 700 yards
[img
LMT MWS 700 yards second group
Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]
[img
Freakishly small group fired with Colt M4 at 500 yards

[img

Close up of M4 500 yard group
[img

M4 at 600 yards
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.us img]
M4 at 700 yards
[img

LMT at 800 yards

[img

A Vortex PST 4-16 with a small red dot mounted on the rings at 45 degrees for the close shots.

Supposedly Leupold has a 1-6 power scope in the works, not sure of pricing. And you could get a CQBSS for about 4 times more than you want to spend.

I am in the market for a similar scope for my EMC, 1-8x24, 2.5-10x32, 1-10x24 are what I am looking at now. and all of those are pricey
I have found that the 1.5-5x24 is not enough power to get out and really see what I am wanting to shoot.
I know that you can see targets at the distances you are looking for, but they are painted white or yellow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Supposedly Leupold has a 1-6 power scope in the works, not sure of pricing. And you could get a CQBSS for about 4 times more than you want to spend.

I am in the market for a similar scope for my EMC, 1-8x24, 2.5-10x32, 1-10x24 are what I am looking at now. and all of those are pricey
I have found that the 1.5-5x24 is not enough power to get out and really see what I am wanting to shoot.
I know that you can see targets at the distances you are looking for, but they are painted white or yellow. </div></div>

What you can see will depend, to a degree, on the quality of the glass you are using and your eyesight. With the SS 1-4 HD my 59 year old eyes can make out most individual bullet strikes on steel at 600 yards, clusters of bullet strikes at 700 yards and no bullet strikes at 800 yards when set on 4X. I certainly would not advocate any 1-4X scope for long range but they do better than most shooters would expect at medium range. But I hear what you are saying. My 7.62 semiauto rifles wear SS 3-9X42 scopes and I keep the SS 1-4X24 HD on a 5.56 rifle. However, I would put the SS 1-4 HD on my LMT MWS in an urban SHTF setting. I doubt I'll be buying one of the current 1-8X or 1-10X options until they become more realistic in their price. For now I have a good pair of compact binoculars for spotting targets if needed.

Currently I have 2 Leupold 1.5-5x24 with the SPR reticle and I am not too impressed with those for my 5.56 rifles. One is an 18 inch spr and one a 14.5 carbine. I have been looking very hard at the SS HD, Vortex, SB, Swaro, NF, I have always hunted with a german #4 reticle, but would like more of a ballistic reticle/ Mil based for the AR's . I will just have to wait to see what else comes out in the 1x8 range for my .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Currently I have 2 Leupold 1.5-5x24 with the SPR reticle and I am not too impressed with those for my 5.56 rifles. One is an 18 inch spr and one a 14.5 carbine. I have been looking very hard at the SS HD, Vortex, SB, Swaro, NF, I have always hunted with a german #4 reticle, but would like more of a ballistic reticle/ Mil based for the AR's . I will just have to wait to see what else comes out in the 1x8 range for my .308. </div></div>

I assume you've seen this thread http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2491668#Post2491668

He did a good job of photographing the reticles. I have not seen the Swaro but the other reticles you mentioned do not stand out at 1X in the illuminated or non-illuminated mode to my eye. They all have great glass and offer high quality but fall short in the design/features department IMHO. I share your preference for the German reticle. I often hunt heavy timber and have lost several opportunities for a shot because I "lost" a standard cross hair in all the verticle tree trunks and shadows. I was introduced to the Germans styles when I lived in Germany in the early 70's and have been a fan since then.

Yes, I saw that write up, and I have been going to each of the manufactures websites and looking at the scopes on their sites. It was a very good write up and to see the reticle through the camera with a background as opposed to the plain white background

My dad was stationed over there in the 60's before he went to Vietnam and he turned me on to the German reticles I looked at the vortex HD and did not care for the 556 reticle, but the other reticle they offer, the CQMR reticle is nice.
Just looked at the SS, and they also offer a different reticle, very interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I saw that write up, and I have been going to each of the manufactures websites and looking at the scopes on their sites. It was a very good write up and to see the reticle through the camera with a background as opposed to the plain white background

My dad was stationed over there in the 60's before he went to Vietnam and he turned me on to the German reticles I looked at the vortex HD and did not care for the 556 reticle, but the other reticle they offer, the CQMR reticle is nice.
Just looked at the SS, and they also offer a different reticle, very interesting. </div></div>

The Vortex would be my second choice. The Razor's glass is more comparable to the SS 1-4 HD but it has 1/4 MOA adjustments and I prefer the mil/mil combination because if you see a miss, what you see is what you adjust. Thus if I were to get a Viper it would be the PST. I have tried both of the SS 1-4x24 HD reticles and prefer the circle because it seems more intuitive. On 1X at close range you look through the circle and your eye naturally centers the target just as it does the front post when looking through the aperture on an M16s iron sights. If you need more precision there is a ghost cross hair that works very well. When I put it up against an Aimpoint in a timed and scored exercise, between 25 and 100 yards it kept up with the Aimpoint out to 50 yards and beat it between 50-100 yards. Yet this bright bold "red dot" becomes a very serviceable mildot at 4X because of the FFP feature and the circle is out of the way. I have not used this scope yet in 2X or 3X. The FFP is a "switch" that shifts the function between a 1X "red dot" and a 4X mildot. This is best shown rather than explained.

SS 1-4 HD at 1X illuminated

[img

SS 1-4X24 HD at 4X non-illuminated

[img

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm not a big fan of compromising. Define the job, then equip the rifle accordingly.
If I hurt your feeling for asking if you would be battling with your MBR too bad. I was asking a legitimate question, as some folk here actually use their stuff on 2way ranges (but I never heard one that actually does use the MBR term).
Not too many folks here set up $3k in a rifle just to blast with.

If you want your rifle to do everything ok, but nothing really well, get and Acog knock yourself out. </div></div>Didn't hurt my feelings, but you also didn't answer my question initially. I too posed a legitimate question, reasonably asked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO 1.8-10 would be my recommendation (actually I'd suggest a 3.2-17).

BR's suggestion is solid if you like leupolds, and the 4.4-14 would be a good power range if the 6.5-20 is too high on the low end for you.
</div></div>This is very helpful, and what I was hoping for. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probelm with multipurpose is it tends to be good for nothing. LOL

Seriously, as I see it you want 25 feet to 1000 yards? Thats a problem. For under 50 yards you really need 1x. For a 1000 yards a 10x is all you need.
That leaves out a 1-4
I would comprimise and get one of these
Leupold 3.5-10 MK4 M2 or the M3 version of same scope. Then get correct dial for your load. I have one of these on my AR10 and it works well 50-1000 yards </div></div>Noted, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you looked at IOR scopes? They have a 2.5-10x 42mm model for under $1K. If you can stretch the budget to $1,300, you can consider their 1.5-8x 26mm and the 2-12x 32mm models.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested & we can talk specifics of each model, etc.

Best of luck to you.
Ceylon </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run the IOR 4.5x14x50 on mine </div></div>Good recommendations. IOR variable scopes are on my short list for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omicron</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah....figure ,.....what.....you will be shooting a 1000yd bullet, or maybe a 800yd bullet......so launching a bullet at a 2moa target at them ranges would require a decent chunk of glass....

savvy the luepold 6.5x20 it'll get you there......and beyond </div></div>So fixed power, not a variable?</div></div>

defiantly a variable......and you prolly won't be glassing man sized targets , just paper and steel.....so its been my experience that the 6.5x20 you could hunt with also....mlr or mildot will give you what you need </div></div> Chalking up a vote for a fixed power. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It</div><div class="ubbcode-body">since you truly need "all" distances i would recommend a getting the bushnell 3-12 ffp and then maybe adding a red dot either on top or on the side. its not really my thing but if you think you need it do it!!!

The only person that needs to be happy with the setup is you so just buy what you want. my second choice would be mark 4 4.5x14x50 tmr ill. but it is sfp and cost more than the bushnell. </div></div>Where is Bushnell made nowadays? Seems to me from reading here that their quality and support is spotty. Of course if their glass is good then a lot of the rest can be forgiven...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If $1,000 dollars is what your limit is, my vote would be;
A 4.5x14x50 Leupold tactical L/R or mark 4 with same power.
I believe that this would be a good compromise that can handle fairly closeup work and good field of view with having a better than 10 power magnification on top.
But if you are going to really stretch out the AR-10 then Bolt's right about the 6.5x20 being a good magnification choice
You have to figure out which you want more.
Good luck with your choices.
......SmokeRolls </div></div>Duly noted, thanks.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omicron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recently picked up an AR-10 in 7.62 Nato. As it's an AR, I feel this could be both a main battle rifle, or suitable out to 700+ meters. My question is, what's the best scope for it?

So, any suggestions? </div></div>

I would suggest a look at this thread http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2491668#Post2491668

I just answered another post and was able to cut and past the responce here. But I'll edit it because you mentioned 800 yards. I have shot the 1-4 scopes at this distance using a LMT MWS and scored 9 out of 10 hits on a 14" steel plate but that is the ragged edge of seeing the target with a very good 1-4, see photos below.
I think we would all agree that the reason we want a 1-4 optic is to maximize the effectiveness of our rifles from CQB range out to midrange, (which I define as 700 yards, YMMV) in all lighting conditions. Some designs excel at one or the other end of the range spectrum but fail at the other. The same can be said of light conditions. If our rifles and ammunitions’ capabilities exceed those of our optics we have shorted ourselves. In my experience the mildot can serve as a BDC and is superior for precision shooting when coupled with accurate mil adjustment on the turrets. I have not found the DBC reticles as well suited for precision shooting or as accurate for range estimation. Many 1-4 optics lack good target style turrets or mil adjustments. In my view they are not superfluous.

I own or have owned an ACOG, Trijicon TR24 and SWFA SS 1-4 HD and have used the Burris TAC30 and Vortex 1-4 PST and by far prefer the SS 1-4 HD with the Vortex coming in a distant second. I have over a thousand round through rifles using the SS 1-4 HD from 25 yards out to 800 yards and believe it to have the best combination of features and quality to meet the requirements of the 1-4 optic. I have timed it and scored it against an Aimpoint from 25-100 yards and found it would keep up with the Aimpoint under 50 yards and out score it between 50-100 yards. Below are some photos of medium range targets. The industry has introduced some outstanding advances in the last few years in low powered variable optics. The dominance of the lower powered fix magnification and red dot scopes may be drawing to a close. It is an interesting time to be a shooter.</div></div>An excellent, detailed response. I'm definitely leaning toward a variable power, and have just added the SWFA SS 1-4 HD to my list. I have a side focus SS 10x42 now on one of my bolt actions, and like it a lot. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for USO 1.8-10 </div></div>I really like that range. Anyone happen to have a pic of it at the 2 extremes, like was posted above for the SWFA SS 1-4 HD?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Vortex PST 4-16 with a small red dot mounted on the rings at 45 degrees for the close shots.

</div></div>Hate to have to learn 2 different cheek welds, but am certainly considering this as an option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opticsspecialist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.sportoptics.com/nightforce-nxs-3-5-15x50-C133.aspx

http://www.sportoptics.com/warne-scope-mounts-ramp3.aspx

http://www.sportoptics.com/trijicon-miniature-reflex-RM01.aspx
http://www.sportoptics.com/trijiconrmr-mount-RM33.aspx

this should cover everything, i've used this set up on several ar10's </div></div>Yup, that'd do it, but kinda blows my budget.
wink.gif
Still worth considering tho, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Supposedly Leupold has a 1-6 power scope in the works, not sure of pricing. And you could get a CQBSS for about 4 times more than you want to spend.

I know that you can see targets at the distances you are looking for, but they are painted white or yellow. </div></div>Figured I wasn't the only one looking for something like this. Agree that 4 or 5 power isn't as much as I'd like to have, but also know that I have to compromise somewhere, especially at my price point. As anyone's hit probability goes down as the range goes out, I'm leaning toward paying more attention to the closer ranges. 1-10 or 2.5-10 would probably be my preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Currently I have 2 Leupold 1.5-5x24 with the SPR reticle and I am not too impressed with those for my 5.56 rifles. One is an 18 inch spr and one a 14.5 carbine. I have been looking very hard at the SS HD, Vortex, SB, Swaro, NF, I have always hunted with a german #4 reticle, but would like more of a ballistic reticle/ Mil based for the AR's . I will just have to wait to see what else comes out in the 1x8 range for my .308. </div></div>

I assume you've seen this thread http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2491668#Post2491668

He did a good job of photographing the reticles. I have not seen the Swaro but the other reticles you mentioned do not stand out at 1X in the illuminated or non-illuminated mode to my eye. They all have great glass and offer high quality but fall short in the design/features department IMHO. I share your preference for the German reticle. I often hunt heavy timber and have lost several opportunities for a shot because I "lost" a standard cross hair in all the verticle tree trunks and shadows. I was introduced to the Germans styles when I lived in Germany in the early 70's and have been a fan since then. </div></div>Helpful thread for me. I really like the SS reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I saw that write up, and I have been going to each of the manufactures websites and looking at the scopes on their sites. It was a very good write up and to see the reticle through the camera with a background as opposed to the plain white background

Just looked at the SS, and they also offer a different reticle, very interesting. </div></div>

The Vortex would be my second choice. The Razor's glass is more comparable to the SS 1-4 HD but it has 1/4 MOA adjustments and I prefer the mil/mil combination because if you see a miss, what you see is what you adjust. Thus if I were to get a Viper it would be the PST. I have tried both of the SS 1-4x24 HD reticles and prefer the circle because it seems more intuitive. On 1X at close range you look through the circle and your eye naturally centers the target just as it does the front post when looking through the aperture on an M16s iron sights. If you need more precision there is a ghost cross hair that works very well. When I put it up against an Aimpoint in a timed and scored exercise, between 25 and 100 yards it kept up with the Aimpoint out to 50 yards and beat it between 50-100 yards. Yet this bright bold "red dot" becomes a very serviceable mildot at 4X because of the FFP feature and the circle is out of the way. I have not used this scope yet in 2X or 3X. The FFP is a "switch" that shifts the function between a 1X "red dot" and a 4X mildot. This is best shown rather than explained.

SS 1-4 HD at 1X illuminated

[img

SS 1-4X24 HD at 4X non-illuminated

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg] </div></div>Almost as good as a red dot at close range. What's the eye relief and pupil diameter on this one?

Or you could go with the IOR 2-12X. That would get you plenty low for close up stuff and at 12X you'd be dinging steel at 800yds without a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfoley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or you could go with the IOR 2-12X. That would get you plenty low for close up stuff and at 12X you'd be dinging steel at 800yds without a problem. </div></div>Like the range, but bit out of my price range.
frown.gif

Can anyone speak to the Trijicon Accu-Point 3-9 x 40 TR-20 mil-dot or 2.5-10x56 TR-23 mil-dot scopes?

I'm picking up a 338 fed armalite on friday. We live rural in Alaska, our road finally opened for the short summer and can't wait to get to the gun shop 200 miles down the road. Made payments on gun & scope all winter, been bugging me since I got it paid off after xmas.

I got a leu 2.5x8 with TMR illum reticle. Going to use a warne RAMP mount and try to set up an aimpoint on the side. Those Warnes are USA made. I thought about a Larue but wasn't sure what to order and they looked pricey, warne is $159.

I have an old aimpoint I bought in 1991 for a folding stock mini-14 and it still works just fine and it's been beat around under the skandic seat for years; so I believe aimpoints are dependable.

I have an ACOG red dot/ghost ring on the 6.8, but worry about the life of the illumination, on ACOG. I hear it's really only 7-8 years, not 15. Costs $400 to have recharged.

This AR-10 will be for on 4 wheeler & snowmachine. I really like the gun across my chest with team sling with my hands on the handles; quick shooter. MOstly moose, caribou, and bear.Only thing that concerns me is the length of barrel, 21 inches. My stag 6.8 is quite short with butt stock collapsed and clears all the trees when I'm riding down narrow trails.

I kinda got my mind on another AR-10 or AR-30, or maybe a DPMS, to pay on. Luv to have a 338 lapua set up short like an AR if possible. I caught Modern Rifle Adventure on tv last night and that guy had a 338 lapua bolt on an AR base, looked the ticket to me. I think it was a zel upper and around $1100 for the upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omicron</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Vortex PST 4-16 with a small red dot mounted on the rings at 45 degrees for the close shots.

</div></div>Hate to have to learn 2 different cheek welds, but am certainly considering this as an option. </div></div>

Mount the dot at 1:00 on with a Burkett mount and you will just have to roll the rifle 30-45*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zhurh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm picking up a 338 fed armalite on friday. We live rural in Alaska, our road finally opened for the short summer and can't wait to get to the gun shop 200 miles down the road. Made payments on gun & scope all winter, been bugging me since I got it paid off after xmas.

I got a leu 2.5x8 with TMR illum reticle. Going to use a warne RAMP mount and try to set up an aimpoint on the side. Those Warnes are USA made. I thought about a Larue but wasn't sure what to order and they looked pricey, warne is $159.

I have an old aimpoint I bought in 1991 for a folding stock mini-14 and it still works just fine and it's been beat around under the skandic seat for years; so I believe aimpoints are dependable.

I have an ACOG red dot/ghost ring on the 6.8, but worry about the life of the illumination, on ACOG. I hear it's really only 7-8 years, not 15. Costs $400 to have recharged.

This AR-10 will be for on 4 wheeler & snowmachine. I really like the gun across my chest with team sling with my hands on the handles; quick shooter. MOstly moose, caribou, and bear.Only thing that concerns me is the length of barrel, 21 inches. My stag 6.8 is quite short with butt stock collapsed and clears all the trees when I'm riding down narrow trails.

I kinda got my mind on another AR-10 or AR-30, or maybe a DPMS, to pay on. Luv to have a 338 lapua set up short like an AR if possible. I caught Modern Rifle Adventure on tv last night and that guy had a 338 lapua bolt on an AR base, looked the ticket to me. I think it was a zel upper and around $1100 for the upper. </div></div>So no Internet shopping for you? Be cool if they could deliver to you via snowmobile or snowcat or something.
wink.gif

DPMS Panther rifles are relatively inexpensive ($900ish) and can be had in carbine lengths and 7.62 Nato. Might be a good choice for you.

I too worry a bit about the tritium illumination running out when I most need it. But of course the same could be said for battery powered scope illumination, plus batteries left in a device can also corrode. For me on all my ACOGs I chose the models that additionally have the fiber optic pipe, so even if it's older and past it's the brightness I'd want, it'll still be useful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omicron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hate to have to learn 2 different cheek welds, but am certainly considering {a secondary sight} as an option. </div></div>

Mount the dot at 1:00 on with a Burkett mount and you will just have to roll the rifle 30-45* </div></div>Hmmm, that's not bad. I could learn/train to work with that. THANKS for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omicron</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omicron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hate to have to learn 2 different cheek welds, but am certainly considering {a secondary sight} as an option. </div></div>

Mount the dot at 1:00 on with a Burkett mount and you will just have to roll the rifle 30-45* </div></div>Hmmm, that's not bad. I could learn/train to work with that. THANKS for the input. </div></div>

the ramp puts the sight at a 45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opticsspecialist</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omicron</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Omicron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hate to have to learn 2 different cheek welds, but am certainly considering {a secondary sight} as an option. </div></div>

Mount the dot at 1:00 on with a Burkett mount and you will just have to roll the rifle 30-45* </div></div>Hmmm, that's not bad. I could learn/train to work with that. THANKS for the input. </div></div>
the ramp puts the sight at a 45 </div></div>That was within the range sobrbiker gave, but thanks for the confirmation.