• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scoping my K31... input:)

cundiff5535

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Mokena IL
Scoping my K31. I want to stay in the Vortex line up. Anyone have recommendations? Ill be using this as something I take out to the range to have fun with... nothing more, nothing less!

Bigger issue is what type mount you are going to use. Brownell's sells a clamp on base or Rock Solid makes one that requires drilling & tapping the receiver. After getting a base installed, scope choice is pretty much open.

OFG

Either the 6-20 Viper at $329 or the Viper HS 6-24 at $399 would be a great choice. I used a St. Marie d&t mount with a Bushy Tac 10x on mine as it's limited to a 1" tube. The RS mount costs as much as the rifle. Nice design tho...let us know how well it works.

Either the 6-20 Viper at $329 or the Viper HS 6-24 at $399 would be a great choice. I used a St. Marie d&t mount with a Bushy Tac 10x on mine as it's limited to a 1" tube. The RS mount costs as much as the rifle. Nice design tho...let us know how well it works.

Which would you go with???

Call me crazy but to me the big Vortex 6-20+ scopes imo will just be look to big, out of place and clumsy on the K31. The smaller VV 2.5-10X32 scope to my eye look balanced on the K 31. Unless you plan on shooting over 500 yard the 10X upper limit will be fine.

Call me crazy but to me the big Vortex 6-20+ scopes imo will just be look to big, out of place and clumsy on the K31. The smaller VV 2.5-10X32 scope to my eye look balanced on the K 31. Unless you plan on shooting over 500 yard the 10X upper limit will be fine.

Depends on your priorities. More important to look at the scope or through it?

OFG

Which would you go with???

If the extra $70 is doable, I'd go with the 6-24. I'm working on another Mosin-Nagant build and I'm going through the same debate in my mind...

"Power", or more specifically how much, is always hotly debated here. While it's common for many long range rifles (including military sniper) to be outfitted with 16x or less, they have other concerns such as ease of target acquisition as well as minimum engagement ranges (not just maximum) and FOV.

As stated already, you can always dial down if conditions (mirage) require it. I don't know what range you plan on shooting- but really either would work as far out as the bullet can reach.

Have you gotten the rifle back from RS? Would like to see what it looks like...

Well, here is the rifle... I do not have the Rock Solid mount on it as of yet. Im going to throw some fresh Cerakote on the action and barrel to get her looking perfect::)!

In saying that, you can see this does not look like your typical K! Can anyone tell me if the VV scopes we are talking about will look silly? I agree... through not at but, I do want it to look neat as well...

In saying that, Again... I am not hauling this thing around hunting etc... its going from my truck to the range and back home from time to time. I going to be shooting 200-300 yards on average... There is a 1000 yard range that I shoot at a few times per year but, its a ways away from me.

Thoughts on the stock etc...!!!

No, not your typical K31. Interesting project. Please keep us updated on your progress. Never thought big scopes looked odd on LR rifles and they work very well for precision target work at 200+ yds.

OFG

I have setup about five K31 rifles. I have found scopes with 44mm bells and under have worked will for these rifles. I mounted up USO ST10 with 32mm and the Vortex 32mm bells and they worked the best.

If we can be of help let me know.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Bigger issue is what type mount you are going to use. Brownell's sells a clamp on base or Rock Solid makes one that requires drilling & tapping the receiver. After getting a base installed, scope choice is pretty much open.

OFG

I haven't tried any of their stuff but swissproductsllc has some k31 dedicated mounts too.

Well, I went a little off the ranch on what I was originally thinking. I scored a Vortex Viper PST at a really nice price (to good to not buy). Now time to get it all together... Probably going to be around 3-4 weeks until I have time to gets some pics up. Been crazy with work and family. Updates will come!!?