• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Scrapes on brass and bullets

rogue090

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2007
Krum, Texas
After loading up some new Combined Tech. 168 ballistic tips today, I chambered up a few just to make sure all was well and good. I noticed that I have what appear to be scrapes on the brass and bullets after removing them, like there is a burr in my action or something. Nothing deep, but definitely obvious.

At first I thought it was my reloading so I chambered a few factory BH rounds, fed via mag or single loaded and all turned up the same thing. I am not sure if it has been this way all along and I never caught it, since today it was obvious against the black of the CT bullets and that's what drew my attention to it.

Is this something to be concerned about? Never had another rifle do this before. I'll try and get a few pics up soon as the camera charges.

Thanks in advance

pics added

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

Re: Scrapes on brass and bullets

As to the mark on the case, its probably from the magazine--and a tiny amount of work with a stone will smooth it out. The mark will disapear upon firing as the case is flattened against the chamber walls.

As to the mark on the bullet, it looks to be from the feed ramp (or edge of the FR).

Thx y'all appreciate the heads up on that.

Now, knowing nothing about polishing up feed ramps etc. what kind of stone am I looking for, to do this work?

Thx again.

Very fine Don't want to remove much metal...just polish it. Don't say stone...say, impregnated rubber polishing tips and wheels...and, use them judiously. Get the rough edges off and polish them out. Start with coarse and go always towards fine...and, if possible, go ACROSS the earlier scratches until you can't see or feel subsequent scratches...called "polishing", without removing major product.JMHO

If you have a Dremel tool there's some awesome stuff called "Craytex" and it's used for Jewelry and polishing stainless for biomedical stuff.

With a box of craytex coarse, craytex fine and a buffing wheel in the dremel you can have a mirror finish in about an hour on your feed ramp.

The gun is clean as a whistle and like I mentioned above not only is this occurring with my reloads, but also with factory ammo so that pretty much rules out the dies. I have tried both loading a single round at a time, and fed via blind mag(both same results). But for the sake of being diligent I cleaned my dies after reading your post. I will also clean the action again just to be safe.

I have tried running my finger up inside the action etc and felt around for what I imagine is just a sharp edge or burr but I can not feel anything. I do not have a borescope, but a high power light has revealed nothing to me.

Thanks again for the tips everyone, being that I do not even know where to begin as far as polishing, I'm thinking a trip to the local gunsmith might serve me best. I just hate to pay for something that I was hoping to deal with myself.

It may be from dragging along the side when extracting...before the ejection takes place...

If this is a Remington 700 action...

I have seen this more than a few times... The ejector is trying to push the round out as you are running the bolt to the rear...pushing the round against the side of the chamber/action on the way out.

...provided that scrape is along one side and not both?

If it is on both sides of the brass, then it may just be sharp edges on the mag lips....etc... and a feed ramp as stated above.

fear not... we'll get ya sorted out...

Can you tell us what action it's on?

I'm trying to get some external dimensions on a Remington 700 if anyone watching this can give me 10 mins of their time to help out.

To the OP, I'll try to take some shots tomorrow night of a stripped out Mauser k98 I have to show you where to polish it.

Seems like <span style="font-weight: bold">Wil</span> brought up a good point on the rivet type ejectors that I never even considered. I'm not sure how to get around that without switching ejector types.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dstewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya sorry I did not mention that before, it is a Rem 700 action. </div></div>
Ok, thanks, I'll try to get some snapshots out of the areas that I'd suggest polishing before you take it to a gunsmith and part with money.

You're going to have to take it out of the stock to do this, would you mind taking some dimensions for me if you decide to polish the mag edges and feed ramp?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a Dremel tool there's some awesome stuff called "Craytex" and it's used for Jewelry and polishing stainless for biomedical stuff.

With a box of craytex coarse, craytex fine and a buffing wheel in the dremel you can have a mirror finish in about an hour on your feed ramp. </div></div>

This works very well, and removes very little metal....

+ 1 with everyone else on the mag feed lips,
especially if you have a few rounds in the mag...

Sure tell me what ya need and ill get the dimensions and pics too if ya like. I'm going to have to wait till I get home later, but will post up pics and dimensions of what ever you need.

Thanks again everyone for helping me out with this.

edit- and yes I forgot to mention I do have a dremel as well.

Thanks. I'm working on designing and building my own rifle and I'm trying to keep it within the footprint of a long action 700 so that I can have a large choice of stocks for it. (It's a long story why I undertook the project but it boils down to "Engineers Disease" aka "I can do that, and I'll do it better.")

I think the easiest thing to do would be to take some pictures of a Mauser k98 action and ask for the sister dimensions from the Rem 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You never mentioned if these marks are on both sides of the case.... </div></div>
Wil,

no they are not, only on one side, and in line with one another.

Sounds like the ejector is pushing the round into the edge of the mag and feed ramp as he thought earlier.

In my experience polishing them up will fix this.

If these marks are along the right side (or left side for left handed action) then the following should be the cause...

These marks are from ejection... when you are pulling them out of the chamber the ejector is pushing it to the right (or left if left handed action) causing it to drag along the action.

make a new dummy round... inspect it for scratches & chamber it
now... raise the bolt handle & slowly move the bolt rearward...watching the brass & bullet. I'll bet you will see the scratch along the side facing you.

-Wil

You guys look to be spot on. Here are some pics I took once I got home. You can even see the small slivers of brass next to it.

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

It is on the right side(right handed action), obviously inverted sitting upside down for the pics.

SO this little bugger here is what i need to polish off eh ?

Thanks very much for the help on this, the ability you guys have to trouble shoot this thing without really seeing it is amazing.

Yesnod
smile.gif

Since you're polishing anyway, the feed ramp can't hurt. (I should get off that soapbox...anyway...)

Would you mind getting me the following dimensions?

1) Outer diameter of receiver tuber around the area where the barrel threads in
2) Overall length of the receiver (this can be done with just a ruler)
3) Thickness of the recoil lug
4) Distance between the 2 screws that mount the bottom metal
5) Distance from the back of the recoil lug to the front screw

I'll put some pics up later tonight from the other stuff I'm thinking about, but that's all I can think of easily.

If you have calipers to measure them great, if not a ruler is good enough

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dstewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... the ability you guys have to trouble shoot this thing without really seeing it is amazing. </div></div>

Not amazing... just been there & done that...lol

Glad we could help. Good luck!

-Wil

Here ya go bohem:

1. 1.360

2. 7.876

3. .199

4. 6.537 center to center

5. .974 to center

measured with calipers. 2 & 4 were measured point a to b then b to c then added, my calipers dont measure that far.

Thanks again

Stew, thanks. I took a couple pics last night of the feedramp and mag area but it doesn't look like you need it now. Thanks a bunch for the measurements, that's very helpful.