• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s SH Motorcycle Thread

Had one hell of a weekend.
20230624_195357.jpg
20230624_190616.jpg
20230624_170513.jpg
20230625_033246.jpg
20230624_173310.jpg

I had one! 2000 year model. Great bike!
This is my second one. I had a 2000 I bought new in same color as this one. This one has thousands in aftermarket goodies already installed. Full race pipe, stage 3 Tuning with pod filters, weight reduction, Ohlins rear shocks, cartridge forks, upgraded brakes and braided lines. It’s a beast already. Lol

• Love
Reactions: Expert684
This is my second one. I had a 2000 I bought new in same color as this one. This one has thousands in aftermarket goodies already installed. Full race pipe, stage 3 Tuning with pod filters, weight reduction, Ohlins rear shocks, cartridge forks, upgraded brakes and braided lines. It’s a beast already. Lol
I'd like to get a 1983 Honda CB1100F and do a s resto mod: put CB RR up-side down forks, wheels, brakes. Kinda new and old at the same time. But I have too many other projects going on and about once a week some one here gets wiped out on a bike.
Stay safe!
Honda-CB1100F-Restomod-Front-Right.jpg

I'd like to get a 1983 Honda CB1100F and do a s resto mod: put CB RR up-side down forks, wheels, brakes. Kinda new and old at the same time. But I have too many other projects going on and about once a week some one here gets wiped out on a bike.
Stay safe!
That would be sick. They did make the CBR 1300? I forget what year but it was really close to being the perfect motorcycle only made it a couple years if I get to add more to my collection that’s definitely on the list.

Stay safe!
For me the 80's honda I would go with a 500 interceptor. Just always liked the looks of them over their larger brothers.
1689089536126.png

I still own the first new bike I ever bought, a 1987 Honda Rebel. It is currently in the shop and on a motorcycle lift. One of the dozen projects I have going on. It is the only way I am happy I need to have bunches of irons in the fire, ADHD and all. Lic plate says it was last on the road in 2013, and that sounds about right. Been inside so it is not too bad, just lots of little things that need doing. Too many projects too little time.

Correction, the CB 1300. It was only 100 hp but definitely had room for improvement. It was made in 98’ and 03, this is the newest one a 22 and may not come to US. Bummer.

1689089047390-jpeg.8180538

Last edited:
That would be sick. They did make the CBR 1300? I forget what year but it was really close to being the perfect motorcycle only made it a couple years if I get to add more to my collection that’s definitely on the list.
I'm old, I have 4 vintage MX bikes that I restored for my son to race. I ride them every now and them. But they most sit. Too busy with work/ life and other things!

I'm old, I have 4 vintage MX bikes that I restored for my son to race. I ride them every now and them. But they most sit. Too busy with work/ life and other things!

One thing I learned on my trip through time, stuff gets heavy. First I did american heavy metal, I learned that the stock intake on a big block can be a bit heavy. Then smaller imports, Triumph, MG, Opel, an Opeh 1.9 head weighs a fricken ton. Currently I am air cooled VW, current everything is light enough, but I can see the day. I wait for a piston for a TS100 to come back in stock, and the little honda talked about above with just little things from years of sitting.

What years are your bikes….Thanks!! QA 50 on the bench,,, full rebuild for great grandson,,,, no, not finished ..😂😂

Attachments

• 6422EFD1-8E40-4429-9FD8-877689EE643A.jpeg
    6422EFD1-8E40-4429-9FD8-877689EE643A.jpeg
    745.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 0F110B76-C1A7-4CCD-AB97-336745A3624C.jpeg
    0F110B76-C1A7-4CCD-AB97-336745A3624C.jpeg
    656.7 KB · Views: 40
  • A5315B1D-3D0D-4A81-A25D-2C9DD599772C.jpeg
    A5315B1D-3D0D-4A81-A25D-2C9DD599772C.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 38
  • PR7_1255.jpg
    PR7_1255.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 2003 CR250R.jpg
    2003 CR250R.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 45
My first bike. Had it since this spring. Hate it lol. Top heavy, shit suspension, vibrates like a motherfucker and the stock seat blows.

But I've learned a lot riding it so far. Looking to sell it next year and get a much smaller/lighter dual sport and pick up either a decent used cruiser or other good street oriented bike for anything that isn't trail riding or going off-road. The KLR is a decent cheap bike though.

327.jpeg

PXL_20230528_122358304 (1).jpg

Last edited:
1690668185445.png

Just bought one of these (photo from internet). I have a buddy that wants to ride some of the transamerican trail (TAT) next year. We are in Missouri, so he was thinking the Tenn-CO portion. While he is not very tall, he wanted to do this on Honda Monkeys. I looked at them and while bigger than when I had them as a kid, I told him NO! Told him I would do it on no less than the Trail 125, if he wants to get a monkey that is fine by me.

Ordered it and they said it should be here 12/12/2023. Great, 20 degrees and snow outside.

I wanted to ride the 125 trail because I have no plans of getting rid of it when this is complete. Something I could not afford to do when I was young.

There are several other bikes that would be better for this, but we want this to be something we can look back and say "look what we did". I have no idea about this ride, but he talks like it will be something. The KLR is highly promoted for this trail. I thought, to much advantage motorcycle, not enough challenge us.

Looked at the XR150 from Honda and I mentioned that maybe that would be the "Most" motorcycle we would entertain.

Has anybody ridden this trail and is it something to look forward / back on? Are is it a waste?

Reactions: SDBguy95
4 weeks until Labrador. Went through gear
Today as I am off on a short trip to New Hampshire tomorrow to give a talk to some “new” adventure riders about going to strange places.

IMG_4486.jpeg

Shakedown for the Trans-Lab in Sept. Can’t wait. Was supposed to do that in 2019, but some work things came up and I had to shitcan it. Then three years of worthless Commie Trudeau and his closed Border.

Maine to Nova Scotia, Cape Breton, Newfoundland, then Trans-Labrador
To Manic-5. Then to Quebec
City and home.

Going to be an epic ride. Just keep those hurricanes in the South, m-kay?

Sirhr

@sirhrmechanic

Would love to see your packing list.

I'm planning a 2024 trip from Kennewick, WA to Two Rivers (outside of Fairbanks) Alaska and back on my Honda 2017 Africa Twin.

Going to my old home in the woods and turn around and head back, just because I'm not getting any younger.

@sirhrmechanic

I'm planning a 2024 trip from Kennewick, WA to Two Rivers (outside of Fairbanks) Alaska and back on my Honda 2017 Africa Twin.

Going to my old home in the woods and turn around and head back, just because I'm not getting any younger.
I will make that happen next few days.

Sirhr

@sirhrmechanic

Actually, thanks for this. I typed it out so I can give to my 'students' tomorrow!

Starting roughly lower left to… wherever I go.

• Owners manual and aftermarket repair book
  • Above is spare parts for carbs and general repairs.
  • Hand ‘chain saw’
  • 100 MPH Tape (Military duct tape)
  • Camera tripod
  • Assorted plug adapters for Europe and also a 12v 10 110v inverter
  • Boot laces
  • Boots and shower shoes. Also carry sneakers
  • Riding glasses/goggles
  • Tent
  • 2 gallon gas can (need this for Labrador. Still working on how to secure
  • Bungee cords, elastic net and paracord
  • Rope. Also couple of carabiners and figure 8
  • Extra reading glasses and clear safety glasses
  • IR and xenon signal flare
  • Pocket knife and multi tool
  • Folding spade
  • Golok
  • Tire repair kits x 2 and tire spoons
  • Jumper cables
  • Folding safety triangle (Required in EU)
  • Uninsulated gloves. Also carry insulated gloves and thick winter gloves
  • Mosquito repellent and seasick tablets (never needed them until a North Atlantic Ferry in a massive storm)
  • Tarp
  • Flashlight and lantern
  • Sleeping bag mat
  • Food prep, mess kit, spices, steak knife and baby wipes. I cannot emphasize how much you will appreciate spices and condiments!
  • Massive bag of TP and Kleenex (pack this at the top!)
  • Sleeping bag
  • Draw bags with T-shirts, socks, etc. I buy new clothes on the road and mail old clothes home or throw them out.
  • Neck gaiters, watch cap
  • Waterproof dry bag(s) that hold clothes and stuff that needs to stay dry
  • 2 sets rain gear. Harley makes great rain gear! Also some ‘cheapie’ stuff. Have two sets. Really. Also rain Booties are your friend. Rain booties are awesome
  • Also carry camera, binoculars.
  • I carry thin blue line pins to give to fellow officers. Goes over great in EU, overseas.
  • Paper maps to back up GPS/phone
  • Baseball cap
  • Sunscreen
  • Insurance papers, registration, etc. in waterproof bags
  • Passport in waterproof carrier. Also photocopies of passport, drivers license, etc. in waterproof bags.
  • Sheath/utility knife.
  • If riding in USA, pistol with extra mags. (Retired LE… I can carry)
  • Spare keys hidden along with $500 emergency cash and credit card.
  • Spare Batteries for all electrical stuff
  • Two wristwatches
  • Cell phone (goes without saying, probably)
  • Basic first aid kit
  • Motorcycle toolkit as supplied by BMW.
  • Heated electric vest, HD brand.
  • “Technical” gear… not leather.
  • Barbour sweater… best sweaters on the planet.
  • A ‘nice’ shirt, tie and pants in waterproof bags. Sometimes you go out for a nice meal
I think that’s about it. It all packs surprisingly small. Balances well. Most of it never used. But better to have and not need… yadda yadda yadda.

Keep in mind that lots of this is un-necessary in CONUS… but if you go to Alaska, overseas/arctic/FUSSR or ‘dirt tracking’ across the US West… yeah, a lot can help.

Know where you are going. Need bear spray? Cable locks for your wheels? Hot weather/hydration gear? Think about where you are going and what are the worst cases. Then bring the gear that may keep you alive. Do you need a hand chain saw on Baja? Probably not. Do you need Bear Spray in Norway? Not really. But plan, plan, plan!

Here's a list and some thoughts. BTW, there is a great book on 'setting up an adventure bike. by Robert Wicks, "Building the Ultimate Adventure Motorcycle." It's on Amazon if the link works.

Hope this helps and again... thanks for the request. This will really add to my talk!

Cheers,

Sirhr

So, I’m currently in Wisconsin (from Florida) for a month-long training exercise with the USAF. In typical aircraft maintenance fashion, the company got a total of 3 rental cars for the maintenance team and nobody can get together on what we want to do in our off time. I’m effectively stuck at the hotel until someone comes back from whatever errands they run……fuck that noise.

I’ll be riding my new-to-me 2016 Road King back to FL at the end of this TDY😎
IMG_1584.jpeg

Last edited:
I had help putting my RS Warrior down Tuesday. I was coming down the turn lane prepping to get off the highway, and some jackass decided he needs to turn out in front of me. It was either hit him or put her down, so down I went.

Walked away a little sore, but scraped up my new hard bags. Thinking about it now the bags probably saved me from getting pinned as they held the bike up a bit off my leg.

I had help putting my RS Warrior down Tuesday. I was coming down the turn lane prepping to get off the highway, and some jackass decided he needs to turn out in front of me. It was either hit him or put her down, so down I went.

Walked away a little sore, but scraped up my new hard bags. Thinking about it now the bags probably saved me from getting pinned as they held the bike up a bit off my leg.
i had ironbags (brand of leather saddlebags) on my springer. when i was run off the road, those bags protected the bike. they earned their name.

4 weeks until Labrador. Went through gear
Today as I am off on a short trip to New Hampshire tomorrow to give a talk to some “new” adventure riders about going to strange places.

View attachment 8197650

Shakedown for the Trans-Lab in Sept. Can’t wait. Was supposed to do that in 2019, but some work things came up and I had to shitcan it. Then three years of worthless Commie Trudeau and his closed Border.

Maine to Nova Scotia, Cape Breton, Newfoundland, then Trans-Labrador
To Manic-5. Then to Quebec
City and home.

Going to be an epic ride. Just keep those hurricanes in the South, m-kay?

Sirhr
@sirhrmechanic Could I please get make and model on the green lantern?

Last edited:
Actually, thanks for this. I typed it out so I can give to my 'students' tomorrow!

Starting roughly lower left to… wherever I go.

• Owners manual and aftermarket repair book
  • Above is spare parts for carbs and general repairs.
  • Hand ‘chain saw’
  • 100 MPH Tape (Military duct tape)
  • Camera tripod
  • Assorted plug adapters for Europe and also a 12v 10 110v inverter
  • Boot laces
  • Boots and shower shoes. Also carry sneakers
  • Riding glasses/goggles
  • Tent
  • 2 gallon gas can (need this for Labrador. Still working on how to secure
  • Bungee cords, elastic net and paracord
  • Rope. Also couple of carabiners and figure 8
  • Extra reading glasses and clear safety glasses
  • IR and xenon signal flare
  • Pocket knife and multi tool
  • Folding spade
  • Golok
  • Tire repair kits x 2 and tire spoons
  • Jumper cables
  • Folding safety triangle (Required in EU)
  • Uninsulated gloves. Also carry insulated gloves and thick winter gloves
  • Mosquito repellent and seasick tablets (never needed them until a North Atlantic Ferry in a massive storm)
  • Tarp
  • Flashlight and lantern
  • Sleeping bag mat
  • Food prep, mess kit, spices, steak knife and baby wipes. I cannot emphasize how much you will appreciate spices and condiments!
  • Massive bag of TP and Kleenex (pack this at the top!)
  • Sleeping bag
  • Draw bags with T-shirts, socks, etc. I buy new clothes on the road and mail old clothes home or throw them out.
  • Neck gaiters, watch cap
  • Waterproof dry bag(s) that hold clothes and stuff that needs to stay dry
  • 2 sets rain gear. Harley makes great rain gear! Also some ‘cheapie’ stuff. Have two sets. Really. Also rain Booties are your friend. Rain booties are awesome
  • Also carry camera, binoculars.
  • I carry thin blue line pins to give to fellow officers. Goes over great in EU, overseas.
  • Paper maps to back up GPS/phone
  • Baseball cap
  • Sunscreen
  • Insurance papers, registration, etc. in waterproof bags
  • Passport in waterproof carrier. Also photocopies of passport, drivers license, etc. in waterproof bags.
  • Sheath/utility knife.
  • If riding in USA, pistol with extra mags. (Retired LE… I can carry)
  • Spare keys hidden along with $500 emergency cash and credit card.
  • Spare Batteries for all electrical stuff
  • Two wristwatches
  • Cell phone (goes without saying, probably)
  • Basic first aid kit
  • Motorcycle toolkit as supplied by BMW.
  • Heated electric vest, HD brand.
  • “Technical” gear… not leather.
  • Barbour sweater… best sweaters on the planet.
  • A ‘nice’ shirt, tie and pants in waterproof bags. Sometimes you go out for a nice meal
I think that’s about it. It all packs surprisingly small. Balances well. Most of it never used. But better to have and not need… yadda yadda yadda.

Keep in mind that lots of this is un-necessary in CONUS… but if you go to Alaska, overseas/arctic/FUSSR or ‘dirt tracking’ across the US West… yeah, a lot can help.

Know where you are going. Need bear spray? Cable locks for your wheels? Hot weather/hydration gear? Think about where you are going and what are the worst cases. Then bring the gear that may keep you alive. Do you need a hand chain saw on Baja? Probably not. Do you need Bear Spray in Norway? Not really. But plan, plan, plan!

Here's a list and some thoughts. BTW, there is a great book on 'setting up an adventure bike. by Robert Wicks, "Building the Ultimate Adventure Motorcycle." It's on Amazon if the link works.

Hope this helps and again... thanks for the request. This will really add to my talk!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Here's some on fuel storage. FortNine videos are pretty good.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Early morning departure…. Outdoor dining at country store.

IMG_4503.jpeg

Climb Mt Washington. First time by bike. Done by car too many times to count. First
Time by bike! Fun ride except for the peckerheads who were so afraid of falling off the mountain in their SUV’s they drove down the middle of the road.

80 mph winds up top.. the pines at 4000 feet smelled amazing. Fun run! Bike actually blew over in parking area. That’s a first! No damage.

IMG_4504.jpeg

Lost the top of rear trunk. Second time. First
Time. I found it. This time, not a chance. I’ll either weld up a new one or get a new box. This is why I do shakedowns. I think the seal got hard and the lid was not down solid. If this had happened in Labrador it would have sucked!!!!

Thanks for the gas advice.

Cheers! Sirhr

What panniers/cans are those? Never complemented a guy before on his big cans, but….

Touratech size huge?

Not as big as you think. It’s that these old Dakar’s are WAY smaller than the new BMW Adventures. So the bags look big.

Touratech on sides. Coyote on top. It may go away in favor of a new top bag. Again, this is why shakedowns matter.

Sirhr

Last edited:
Here is my old Beemer. It's an 04. Did a cross country trip in 2020. Camped the whole way.
I don't ride it much any longer. I'm not sure why I haven't posted it in this thread before.
I should probably sell it because it's pretty heavy for me now and with the new suspension I'm standing on my toes. Can't bring myself to do that yet though.
20220621_195522.jpg