• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s SH Motorcycle Thread

'11 Kawi KLR650 Pretty decent ride, but had to let her go, after a couple of years.

Last edited:
My son and I right before taking off on a nice Father's Day ride. I'm on the MV. The V4 S Corse is his new favorite bike in the garage.

View attachment 7097034
My boy is interested in learning to ride, but he's only fifteen. State law says you have to be 18 to get a motorcycle endorsement, but I'm looking forward to teaching him to ride.

I'm sure the time spent is great!

My boy is interested in learning to ride, but he's only fifteen. State law says you have to be 18 to get a motorcycle endorsement, but I'm looking forward to teaching him to ride.

Start him out on a smaller dirt bike. Honda 150F is about perfect. Practice Practice Practice. Learn to use both brakes, the front has most of the stopping power. I used the front even when flat tracking my 150F. Learn to use both brakes till they slide in the dirt, that will teach the feel from hard braking to pushing the front/sliding the rear. Then once you're on a street bike you're not thinking about the bike and you can focus on all the cars that want to kill you. :) Also track days are a great way to get some instruction and learn as well on ANY bike. I've instructed people on everything from supermotos to superbikes with harley 883's and goldwings in the mix.

I agree with NewShooter above. If you have the place for your son to start on a smaller bike in the dirt or on a track, that is the way to go. I started riding at 14 years old on a Bultaco Alpina 250. It was my best friend's bike. We rode that and others for two years before we ever hit the street on a bike.

My son is 29 yo now and has a lot of miles under his belt riding with me first and then me and my close trusted friends in small groups after I considered him ready. He took the MSF Basic Rider course (with my wife) when he was 15yo and again 16yo before I started him out with a used Kawasaki Ninja 500. This is was the old style with only 49hp and relatively lightweight. At the time we had access to many rural paved county roads that had very little traffic. I would not allow him to ride without me when he was in high school. His senior year we bought him a new Triumph Daytona 675 LE when he turned 18yo as he had many miles on the Ninja and was ready for it. Again I did not let him ride it without me or me and my friends riding along. He never fought that rule. He learned to ride by example with responsible and capable riders

Traded a 2015 BMW R1200R for this KTM 1290 Super Adventure S. It was going to take a special bike for me to move away from that BMW and this one ticked all the boxes. I comfortably giggle like a school girl every time I ride it and my wife enjoys the extra room and back rest when I have the top box and panniers on.

u9y2e3L.jpg

Its got full Aarow ceramic exhaust with the Rottweiller stage 4 kit and the SAS delete.
Made a huge difference in how it runs, much smoother and noticeably more power.

Traded a 2015 BMW R1200R for this KTM 1290 Super Adventure S. It was going to take a special bike for me to move away from that BMW and this one ticked all the boxes. I comfortably giggle like a school girl every time I ride it and my wife enjoys the extra room and back rest when I have the top box and panniers on.

u9y2e3L.jpg

Its got full Aarow ceramic exhaust with the Rottweiller stage 4 kit and the SAS delete.
Made a huge difference in how it runs, much smoother and noticeably more power.

Pic didn't show up for me in your post.

Reactions: jff_stvns

Brother, get both of you dirt bikes. He will learn the fundamentals in a safer environment than the street and will be a better street rider later. You will also share some great experiences. I rode/raced dirtbikes for four yrs before my 1st real street bike. Never regretted that.

Irish

Took a ride last night along some of the seasonal roads and along some railroad tracks last night. I like trying to get lost, then figuring out where I am without going back along the route that got me there.
I have a lot of fun exploring on this little bike.
TW200%204-1-15_zpsyneyytus.jpg

For all us SH riders, hope you will take a moment out of your day to pay respect to the seven riders killed in New Hampshire yesterday in a horrific head-on crash with a pickup.

They were all Marine Veterans out on a club ride together. Three more in hospital.

No background on what caused the accident, but I am sure more details will come out.

For now, take a second and think some thoughts for 7 lost Marines. When it comes to two wheels, we are all brothers.

In sadness and respect,

Sirhr

For all us SH riders, hope you will take a moment out of your day to pay respect to the seven riders killed in New Hampshire yesterday in a horrific head-on crash with a pickup.

They were all Marine Veterans out on a club ride together. Three more in hospital.

No background on what caused the accident, but I am sure more details will come out.

For now, take a second and think some thoughts for 7 lost Marines. When it comes to two wheels, we are all brothers.

In sadness and respect,

Sirhr
Heard that this morning my self. I pray for all on two wheels.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

In sadness and respect,

Sirhr

HORRENDOUS just doesn't cut it for describing this situation.

• Sad
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
NEWS: HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO "DECLINING BIKE SALES”

The reasons for the slump in sales at HD are not President Trump's fault.

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles. Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.
A recent study was done to find out why Millennials
don't ride motorcycles:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6 Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7 Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: 7mMike and Dirty D
Anybody have first hand experience with Honda’s Africa Twin?

Not first hand... but rode with a couple of folks who have them and love them. Pretty bulletproof. Really tall! Even compared to my Dakar. Honda reliable and quality. Not the name recognition or Panache of a BMW or a KTM... but gravity-reliable.

Sirhr

Not first hand... but rode with a couple of folks who have them and love them. Pretty bulletproof. Really tall! Even compared to my Dakar. Honda reliable and quality. Not the name recognition or Panache of a BMW or a KTM... but gravity-reliable.

Sirhr
I’ve got buddy’s with the ktm’s and if I was in the market for on off road I would look hard at them.

Sirhr
Sounds exactly like the XR650L that I had in the early nineties, damn I miss that bike!

Sounds exactly like the XR650L that I had in the early nineties, damn I miss that bike!

I had an XT Yamaha 500 single in the early '80s... compression release and all, or it would kick my skinny ass over the handlebars! Used to love riding in the woods in the early spring snow! Bike and times I miss for sure!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Dirty D
E0FB50FC-965C-4316-B14B-6CFB3DE09D7F_zpstjr4ykek.jpg

This was a ride in the springtime a couple years ago. Those fat tires actually don't do too bad on the snow. Hard to tell from the pic, but the ride down that little evergreen lane through the trees was slightly downhill, and getting back out to the gravel road at the end was a lot harder than the ride in. Lots of duck-walking.

I saw at least one other Bandit owner in this thread. Here is my latest. This is my second bandit, I had a 1998 but the carbs drove me insane, this is a 2007 with FI

Attachments

• 2007 Bandit-sm.jpg
    2007 Bandit-sm.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: gigamortis
Low compression or high compression on the 124 ? Very similar dyno numbers as mine I got 137 hp 147 ftlbs ... mines a LC for the bagger.

Reactions: HogsLife
Low compression or high compression on the 124 ? Very similar dyno numbers as mine I got 137 hp 147 ftlbs ... mines a LC for the bagger.

10:8:1. 640 Lift EZ Start Cams. Mild Headwork. I wanted reliable power for touring. Starts everytime. Stock starter and has run flawless for years without issue.

Reactions: 7mMike
Bitchin dude. My 2 favorite bike. Dyna and RG and both with TBars. The way it should be. Very nice ??
Thanks man appreciate it. Definitely a fan of west coast t bars. Had apes on the road glide for a long time. But I switched over last year glad I made the change.

Reactions: HogsLife
Thanks man appreciate it. Definitely a fan of west coast t bars. Had apes on the road glide for a long time. But I switched over last year glad I made the change.

Yeah man. Can’t beat West Coast Tbars and Scotty is a good dude. Went from apes to Tbars years ago and glad I did. Night and day difference in both handling and comfort.

I sold the first year Fat Boy to get Adria’s braces many years ago. Well, everyone’s college is now paid for so it was my turn. The ride reminds me of my Ducati F1. It is brutal on my back, neck, & wrists but the smile plastered on my face is worth it.
At this stage of the game it does what I want it to.
Like the Ducati, it sleeps inside the house.

Maxwell

Attachments

• 35787F15-EEC4-4D76-8DCA-4053CA094814.jpeg
    35787F15-EEC4-4D76-8DCA-4053CA094814.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 78
I got the pleasure of staring longly into the eyes of a Redbull Edition RC8R still in the shipping crate. Such a magnificent bike.

Reactions: canezach
I got the pleasure of staring longly into the eyes of a Redbull Edition RC8R still in the shipping crate. Such a magnificent bike.

They really are magnificent machines! They handle better than any of my racebikes, and that's saying something considering how much I dropped into the suspension bits from Penske and Racetech.

They really are magnificent machines! They handle better than any of my racebikes, and that's saying something considering how much I dropped into the suspension bits from Penske and Racetech.

Surprisingly, my current bike handles better than any other bike I've owned or ridden. I routinely go up into the curvy mountain roads and people seem surprised that a sport bike weighing almost 600lbs can handle so well for stock suspension.

Pic from last night's ride. The silver '07 R1200RT on the right has about 80k miles on it and was sold to a friend this past spring. I put about 45
20190906_185629.jpg
k on that one. The '15 is my main ride now. Had it for a little over a year with 38k miles and put 12k on it so far even though it was down for 10 weeks with a bad connecting rod bearing. Was out of warranty but BMW paid half the repair bill for new short block with crank and pistons. It is now essentially a zero time motor with 2 year unlimited mile parts and warranty on the parts that were replaced.

Reactions: gigamortis