• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Re: shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Corn husker
The range has 4" swinger's at the 560 left berm and some larger ones at a grand dut that it. I bring some 18" and 24" torso plates but haven't been in a while. Hope to go soon. Just keep checking this thread from time to time to get link up date.

Thanks for the info Dart. Do you just lean your torso plates against existing targets? It would be nice to meet up with some of ya'll as I am still a rookie to this sport and know I would learn a lot!

We hang them from an a frame setup that DirtDart brings and it is about 4 to 5 feet tall . The plates are at a 15 degree angle to deflect the round down.
I will be there at 08:30 tomorrow.

I'd love to join you Tony but must work tomorrow. Sadly, I will likely be too busy tomorrow to notice that the world will be ending...

That said, I will be there on Sunday, given that the above mentioned apocalypse turns out to be a fraud.

I would love to go tomorrow but will be busy doing other things. Are Saturdays good days to shoot TDR911? What days are competitions usually held? Does the range supply materials to hang the steel or what are you guys hanging them with?

Nebraska123
DirtDart brings the frames to hang the steel form. I have been too busy to make my frames. Maybe next time.
Here is a link to the Manatee website and calander.

http://www.manateegunclub.com/calendar/month.calendar/2011/05/21/-.html

Today they had 20+ shooters shooting on the left side of the range at the 565 gongs. There was still about 15 slots left to shoot. Even though there is a competition going on there is always extra room to shoot.
I was mostly doing some ballistics testing on a new build today.
I am going to go back up there on the June 11th. I should have all my load development done by then.
I think most of us prefer Saturday as there less people there.
It was HOT today!!!

Thanks TDR911! I just purchased my first steel targets from Big Dog Steel. I am set on getting down there next weekend, memorial weekend. If any of you guys are thinking of going then, let me know, it would be nice to meet up with some of you.

Steel use at manatee:
I have several pieces of MGM steel. It is always hit and miss if they will let you put them out or not. My pieces all angle down too. I always ask whomever is running the line, and some days it's OK, but some it is not...

Can anyone recommend a good smith to re-barrel a remington 700 for me in the st pete/tampa bay area?

Taking my first trip to the range in the morning. Weather looks perfect! Can't wait to shoot the 565 gong!!

do you have to have a membership to shoot here?
I have never shot past 100 yards. Would love to try my chances past 100. thanks in advance/

Today was a riot! I completed my first 308 build a couple months ago and had never really shot long range until today. My super sniper 10x HD dialed perfectly out to the 565 gongs!! Met some nice people there and learned a lot! It was probably the nicest range I have ever shot at, will be going back soon!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chuck Finley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone recommend a good smith to re-barrel a remington 700 for me in the st pete/tampa bay area? </div></div>

Chuck,

Give Dave Tadder a call. He's in St. Pete at 727-525-8916.

He did the work on two of my SPS's. On the first he installed a Kreiger #8 barrel which replaced the stock Remington light varmint barrel that had roughly 8700 rounds through it. He blue printed the action, cut the barrel to 24", chambered for my preferred load, and bedded it into my new A5 stock. At a very reasonable price and it was done in less than a week!

The 2nd rifle is brand new and I bought it specifically to drop it into the B&C stock I had taken the 1st one out of. That bedded B&C, with CDI DBM looked so lonely...

So I bought a new SPS at Dick's but did not want the 26' barrel length it came with. So I took it to Dave where upon he pulled that barrel, blue printed the new SPS and then cut the barrel down to 20". He also tuned the X-Mark trigger after breaking through the sear and over travel goop Rem. puts on the trigger housing. That one now resides in the aforementioned B&C stock the other SPS lived in. Nevertheless, I had him skim bed the new rifle into the stock. It too is beautiful!

Both rifles look great, his work is reasonably priced and while I haven't had time to shoot the 2nd one since he worked on it, the first job shoots as wonderful as it looks!
SPSBoobJob3.jpg

DSCF4653.jpg

Gerald Keller is also well thought of too but I have only spoken to him. His Number is 727-733-4111.

Not I. I even has some ammo loaded up!

Wife it taking me to Seaworld for my B-day!

Saturday is a possibility for me Tony! What were you thinking?

I need to get my hump over there as it's been four friggin months...

Hell, Joey Hotfizzle might even be back ashore by now!

It would be great to spot your hits again!

Still doing load research on my new build. Early is better for me. Not completely decided yet.
What about next Sunday??? Is that any better for you??? Ren could go as well????
Where the hell is DirtDart. Fishing I hope. Thats where I will be next Saturday.

Thats what Im doing on the 19th... Fathers day fishing. Saturday the 18th would be better to for me. Hell... maybee Ill just go to Desoto and shoot the ar a little.

Desoto on sunday the 19th is range orientation day. Gonna be busy and I will be there at the meeting. That being said I will not make it next Sat or Sunday 18th&19th. >

Can't do the 19th as I will be Godfather's to Connie's baby on that day.

She's my sister in law and doesn't care for my calling her Connie, as that isn't even close to her real name. Nevertheless...

Never go against the family.

So where are we on the 11th? Is TDR just a range tease?

I guess it was a range tease . I had something come up . As you know work duty,(money), calls I jump. I will call you Friday if I am going to make it. My guess is no. Dammmit.

How's it going old timers!? (that was towards Dale) Haha! I'm kidding man. I'll be stateside on the first week of July. My FN is done but my 260 is still unfinished and I told Mark to just wait and ship both at the same time. Hopefully by August we can all go shooting.

Also I need an optic. Either the new SS or a Vortex 6-24. Decisions...

Looking forward to be back stateside and shooting beside you cool dudes again!

Joey, looking forward to seeing you back at the range & in the states. stay safe.

Vortex's Viper PST looks pretty sweet; FFP, Mil/Mil, sweet reticle. (don't forget to check promotive.com for Leopold's military discount)

For anyone... I need a barrel threaded and a thread protector. I was planning of contacting Woody @ x-ring for 5/8-24 threads on my 308 (suppressor is on the way) - anyone have suggestions for thread protectors?

Whats up Joey! Glad you'll be back soon mang! Yeah.. Im an old man and all, got the wife all knocked up to prove it!
smile.gif

Im a little gun shy of the Johnny come lately companies. Got bit by that in the AR world and learned the hard way. So I would look at some nice NF glass and call it a day...

So are you still going to be stationed in Ft. Myers when you get back?

Fly_USCG --- Your smith should be able to make a thread protector for you when he threads your barrel. If you dont mind shipping I would seriously talk to Mark at SAC.

Joey I saw your Dad yesterday at Manatee. I have never seen so many people there!

He was sitting outside 'Pro-Shop' when I walked up. He's doing well and I'm glad to hear you are as well.

They put me and my buddy out on the bench rest range on the east side of the long range berm. Only three other shooters over there and we drove our trucks right up to the back of the line: Like we owned the place.

On the glass front, I ordered a Vortex PST 4-16 EBR
thumbnail_generator.php

My buddy was shooting his brand new FN SPR with a NF scope of some variety (My jealousy {and budget} prevents me from delving too far into their line...:D) but was still having trouble making hits. I got on his rifle and found the trigger was horrific. Perhaps it was just the contrast to mine (My older Remy has the Rifle basix set to 1 lb, the newer one has the X-mark tuned to 2.25 lbs) but I swear his trigger must be at 7 lbs!!!

Dale,

I don;t recall your trigger being nearly so heavy. Any suggestions? Gunny suggested replacing it.

Anyway, after about three hours, they moved us to the public line where we could go out to long range. One of the other shooters on the line brought out some steel targets to shoot at and we had some fun nailing them. Both of the rifles I brought were recently rebuilt and blueprinted by Dave Tadder in St. Pete. Gunny recommended him and I have nothing but praise for his work, timeliness and pricing!. Both rifles shot extremely well with a variety of ammo I brought to test them with.

There were a lot of people asking how you guys were and when you will be getting your priorities back in the proper order!

Stay safe Joey and take care all.

Happy Father's day!

Anyone go up this weekend?

I'm going for my annual training for the guard in July, and sending my rifle to my gunsith fir a new barrel, blueprint and bedding it. Once that's back, I'll do some load development, and I should good to go unto manatee!

Anyone wanna ride up from Miami dade to palm beach can probably car pool with me. I'll probably be ready end of July or end of august.

Hey QQ... Im glad you guys had a great time. I went out on our boat all day on Sat and then went fishing all day on Sunday with my Dad and Bro in law.
smile.gif

As far as the triger goes.. I highly recomend dropping a Timney trigger in his FN. I had mine adjusted to 2.5 pounds. I bought a RCBS trigger guage to adjust the trigger. Alot of guys say that those FN triggers are pretty easy to adjust... and maybe they are... but I just did the drop in.

Hope that helps ya!

Ren

FlyUSCG, Dale and Q, thanks guys. 9 more days and I will be on my way home.

Dale congrats brother! I will be back in Ft. Myers on an 87 footer, I'm stoked!

FlyUSCG, I'm leaning towards the PST myself. I wish the PST's has 10 mils per rev that would have been nice but that's no biggie. I'm a member at Promotive but I don't like Leupold's TMR reticle, I had one and the open center bugged me. Although that new 34mm Leupold looks promising.

I'm really considering the PST 6-24 FFP mil/mil. It's been out for awhile now and it looks pretty decent for the money. I can't afford any high end scopes at the moment (well I can but I'm saving up for other things) and both my rifles will have to share the PST. Q, keep me updated on how your PST performs when you get a chance. I would very much appreciate you're opinion since I know you actually use your rifles unlike some of the reviewers on the optic section.

Good shooting everybody and belated happy father's day. I'll see you all soon.

Well?

The weekend is only 4 days away! Who is going to knock the cobwebs of the shootin irons and get out there this weekend?

Men would!

laugh.gif

what day and time
i'll be there just got moved in to the new house and i have the next week off

should have the 6.5 grendel and rem700 .223 out to play

I will be hanging out with the Big Boys at Daytona. Nothing better that burned rubber, gear oil and crunching metal in your face. Except---- AHH, the smell of gunpowder in the morning. It smells like Victory.!!!! Next month for me.

Looks like it's going to be pretty wet out there Saturday. I'm still going to be there unless it's a tropical storm!

In that case, I'd need to stay home and fend off looters!

i'll be there also picked up 80 rounds for the grendel,should be fun
also i will have the rem 700 out this trip to

see you there

James,

I didn't find you out there today. Did they stick you on the bench rest range due to the match and the absence of available benches?

I had a good outing today with plenty of good feedback for my reloading for the new and remodeled rifle. Also ran my Savage 10 as she was getting lonely lately and my old Mauser M48.

Good times. Sorry I missed you.

the weather didnt look promising so i spent the day with the wife and kid.we ended up going to tampa to the ikea store to add the finishing touches to our new house(finally closed this passed wed thought is was never going to happen)

So hopefully now i will be able to make it out more than once every 6months

sorry i did not make it out yet again,but on the other hand i have a good amount off ammo now LOL

you might have.so how was the weather at manatee and was there a lot of people there?

Hot, Mirage, little wind until around 11:30 and then only about 5-10 MPH out of the southwest.

Pretty crowded. As I mentioned above, I thought they were going to put me on the bench rest range again but a bench opened up on the main public line.

Names AL from Trinity/New Port Richey area.
Just built a 308ar zeroed her in at Hernando 2 weeks ago actually didnt have time to finish its off by 1" down and 1" to the left.

Would like to go, actually I am going to Manatee this Sun. 7/10
Do I need to bring my own steel if I want to shoot to 1k?
From what I read in this thread there are Gongs on the left @ 565? Is this correct?
And I need to bring my own paper?
Is a spotting scope a must?
I would love the chance to shoot to 1k.
The only reason I built this rifle is because I knew Manatee wasnt too far away from me.

Never shot past 100yds and have only shot a handfull of times with my ak & cz75b so any coaching would be appreciated.

Thanks
AL

Al,

There is some steel at 1000. There are some 10"- 12" plates up on the berm and a big ass 30" square (or so, never measured it
laugh.gif
) with a 10" circular cut in the center with steel right behind it.

You're allowed to bring your own steel but discuss where you can put it with the R.O.s. A spotting scope is helpful: even more so is a spotter!

There are often matches on the weekends and you won't get the choice lanes for 1000 if there is a match going on there. That said, the matches don't last all day and you can call in advance to make sure.

The last couple times I've been there have been the busiest I've ever seen it, so get there at 08:30 if you want your pick of the benches.

Have fun! I may get there Saturday but Sunday I'm booked to do a a lot of swearing: Golf...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Al,

There is some steel at 1000. There are some 10"- 12" plates up on the berm and a big ass 30" square (or so, never measured it
laugh.gif
) with a 10" circular cut in the center with steel right behind it.

You're allowed to bring your own steel but discuss where you can put it with the R.O.s. A spotting scope is helpful: even more so is a spotter!

There are often matches on the weekends and you won't get the choice lanes for 1000 if there is a match going on there. That said, the matches don't last all day and you can call in advance to make sure.

The last couple times I've been there have been the busiest I've ever seen it, so get there at 08:30 if you want your pick of the benches.

Have fun! I may get there Saturday but Sunday I'm booked to do a a lot of swearing: Golf... </div></div>

Thanks for the info I appreciate it.
Ill be sure to get there early then

AL