• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Re: shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Don't forget extra chain and bolts,remember what happen to the last Target with chains on it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

BigDogTarget.jpg

I built two stands this afternoon for the targets I bought earlier this week. 4 X 4 base, mortised to inlet a cross member at the base,(also a 4 X 4) and the vertical 2X4s. Cross head member is a 2X4 rabbeted into the upper 2X4s.

Base is 24" deep and 30" wide. Posts are 75.5" tall.

It's pretty stable agianst hammer blows but I'm thinking I'll scrounge some EMT (electrical metal tube), from the sparkies on the job, and use them as ground stakes, (driven into the ground)screwed to the vertical posts.

We'll see! </div></div>

Bad A$$!!! Nice Job

On another note...Longest 30 Days EVER!!!
Seems like the 15th is never going to get here.

AL

Damn pops you have talent! Although I'm worried the target is too small for me. Can we place that against the pistol berm? Haha!

Seriously though that looks great, thanks Q.

QQ
You do know that there is going to be a rowing event going on the weekend of April 15 down here in sarasota.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">QQ
You do know that there is going to be a rowing event going on the weekend of April 15 down here in sarasota. </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 26pt">DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH</span>

Why the fuck not...

Update, It's a scullers event. My Little Cub rows in Sweep boats. Scullers row with two oars while Sweep boats are driven with one oar per rower.

Certainly, both types of boats typically enter the same regattas, just in different heats. I'm not sure why they are breaking out the two types of boats as that seems impractical given some teams have both.

The Sarasota venue is huge and getting more awesome by the day. I'm sure you have seen the massive earth moving going on at the site James. In 2 years it will likely be the premier rowing venue in the nation! Certainly in the southeast!

The one at Oak Ridge is pretty amazing too.

Anyway, my daughter's team is not entering that regatta. We'll be in Sarasota for Districts on the 21st and then States on the 28th. If they kick ass there, they'll qualify for Regionals in May. All of which to be held in Sota! Then of course, Nationals is the big goal this year.

First things first!

So back to shooting! I expect I'll be getting to Manatee sometime before the 15th of April as damnit, these steel targets are mocking me at this very moment.

Sweep Boat. This one is an 8, with 8 rowers and a coxswain. My kid is the second from the bow. She's a port rower and also is a coxswain when they need her on other boats.

the8-1.jpg

A 4 Sculler. Notice the lack of a coxswain and the rowers each have two oars. I don't know these folks.

Dragons_quad_sixth_boat_home.jpg

I got c2 rowers at my place and I put my athletes on them.
Absolute wrecker of human beings.

I always tell them "If you are an awesome rower youre a stud".

AL

Good Lord is it the 15th yet......Im dying here, Charlie they took my thumbs

Must be nice to have Good Friday off.

Lucky bastages!!!!

It's not that I have Good Friday off it's just that I have to eat up some vacation time boss says I have too much

Are all you ladies still going to be heading out sunday the 15th?

james

Im in
she might be done she might not fingers crossed he is trying hard to get it done and done right.
He actually went in on Sunday to work on her...nice guy
Action and Bolt trued all that was left
was to chamber it (tight bore),thread it,bore recoil lug,machine brake to match barrel & time it and test fire.
Either way Ill have a piece to shoot my GS said he would
let me borrow his. Some pimp stick with USO glass so that would be cool.
But I really want to ride mine.

AL

So far so good. I need more load development done Saturday and some serious reloading that night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm buried with work but won't miss this even if I have to wait another day to cash in my Mega Millions Ticket.

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Just remember who your friends are with all of those millions!
grin.gif

^^^ Yes please. A couple of 5-25 S&B's should do the trick
grin.gif

So who's excited to finally smack some steel this Sunday!!!!!?????

I have 200 rounds for the grendel,250 rounds of 208gr amax for the 308 and then some 223 round.Going to be a long day.my shoulder might like like me on Monday but o-well

This weekend was the start to the tournament season for me so, i could not commit to a trip to the range. Well, the weather turn to shit and we cancelled the event. So, it sounds like we my have a few extra steel to place at varoius ranges. Looking forward to seeing you guys and meeting some of you also.
DD

It just keeps getting better! Good to hear this DD!

A friend of mine will be there also to run his FN SPR.

Note to self, buy lotto ticket today.

Nice! Seems like everybody is showing up. What time is everybody planning on getting there?

I plan on leaving my house by 9 so maybe around 11 ish. It's a two hour drive for me.

I'm young I like to sleep in
wink.gif

I haven't talked to dad so I don't know.

It was awesome shooting with you guys today.

Thanks to QQ, Dirtdart and Ren for the steel targets. Jame's 6.5 Grendel was accurate as hell even with a 9 lb factory trigger, haha! Good meeting you Al, hopefully next time you'll have your rifle.

Til next time fellows,
Joey

It was a great day: challenging wind from the southeast, dust, various sized steel targets and occasional volcanic explosions from the left side of me...

Good seeing you guys! Hope to see you out there again next month.

That was AWESOME!!!

Thank you so much QQ,DD,Ren for bringing out the steel to abuse. Really do appreciate it.

Its always a pleasure to shoot you with you guys and to meet
new people.

Joey-I like that scope if anything I can pull a turret off and just chuck it at a target....
grin.gif

But seriously looking through your scope just made it even harder to decide and I actually like the oversize turrets.

AL

Damn I cant wait till she's done.
Tough the rifle I had today was nice and performed well it was uncomfortable.
On a different note I do like it when its windy out there.

I'll modify the vertical portion of my target stands to better withstand the bullet splatter: either abandon the wood altogether and use some sort of metal pipe or clad the 2x4s with metal track that is always in abundance on the projects I am on.

In any case, I was gratified to see how stable the target stands are under impact and how violently obvious the reaction of the steel when hit!

It's also nice to be able to shoot with people who are safe to be around and a known quantity to the range staff.

Good meeting up with you guys again! And yes QQ, Those targets move around nicely when hit! I was calculating a little too much windage and hit the 2x4 a few times at 600y.... sorry bout that!

The .260 is nice hotfizzle! The word laser comes to mind!

Laters,
Ren

I'm confused....

I thought Manatee will not let us bring our own steel targets...

I asked the first time I was there...and was told "nada"...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused....

I thought Manatee will not let us bring our own steel targets...

I asked the first time I was there...and was told "nada"... </div></div>

Sounds like you should have shown up yesterday!

We talked alot about bringing your own steel on page 19 of this thread. The RO's want to inspect what your wanting to put out, They usually dont want it in the "ditch" on the way to 1000, and dont want you to have it any closer than the 565 burm. So you can usually only have it at 565 and 600.

Hope to see you out next time.
Ren

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

We talked alot about bringing your own steel on page 19 of this thread. The RO's want to inspect what your wanting to put out, They usually dont want it in the "ditch" on the way to 1000, and dont want you to have it any closer than the 565 burm. So you can usually only have it at 565 and 600.

Hope to see you out next time.
Ren
</div></div>

I need to start taking memory pills...I forgot that I asked, and you already responded. Maybe I should start smoking weed again to improve my memory...

I have 6" and 12" AR500 plates on steel horses. Guess I'll bring them next time, what the hell. Worst case is they won't let me use them.

But if you do put out your own steel, does everyone else on the line start banging it?

I had an "altercation" with an RSO at the Hernando Sportsmans Club last year over this. They only allow BYO steel at the 200M range- which is only open ONE day per month.

I put out our steel, and this jackass on the line starts pounding at it with his AR. I politely told him it was "private" steel (maybe he didn't know), but that didn't stop him. I asked the RSO to tell him to leave it be, and he responded that "if it's out there, they can shoot it"..

What a fucking asshole. I told him if it was a paper target, would he still say it was fine for anyone on the line to be putting holes in it? I packed up my toys and went home...

Anyway...

We did go back three weeks ago and had a ball. Put a 20 minute base on my son's savage .308 that got him to 600...but no further. He did manage a hit or two at 1000 by holding off...Now I gotta get the fucker a new scope with enough adjustment to get him to 1000
smile.gif
smile.gif

I was glad they made the improvement at 100 by putting markers down at the target locations. Makes it a lot easier to locate if we need to shoot groups or sight-in.

I just wish the place was closer!

Anyone headed out there on Thursday? Im going to try to make my first trip up there from Homestead.

Sounds good to me.

I was told that my girl will be ready tomorrow and if it is ready
waiting another 30 days will be tough so Im thinking I might
try to make it down before the 20th.

If I do end up having to wait till the 20th Ill be itching and scracthing like a junky looking for the next fix.

AL

Al, I agree that knob is freakin huge.

Hopefully the wind will cooperate next time. Unlike you crazy people I'm not a big fan of constant wind change. Haha!

I'm down for the 20th pending u/w schedule.

Oh and is it too much to ask for the guys with 50 cals to not show up. For crying out loud they were shooting 100 - 200 yards with a 50 cal...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Oh and is it too much to ask for the guys with 50 cals to not show up. For crying out loud they were shooting 100 - 200 yards with a 50 cal... </div></div>

Fucking guy was right next to me, blasting my new dental work loose with the enormous pressure wave of that muzzle brake, three fucking feet from my cabeza!

BTW, The guy next to me was shooting at a paper target at the 1000 yard berm. I wish I could say I spotted a hit or two for him but I buried my head every time I repeated his call of, "Fire in the hole"!

Note to self: next time get there earlier...

Not sure about 5/20 here as little Cub may be rowing in the Nationals. She and her team mates need to really heave to in the next couple weeks but they have a shot at getting to the nationals this year and if so, I am not missing that!

^^^ HAHAHA! Yeah I feel sorry for you and your buddy everytime that asshole yelled "fire in the hole".

Going to get some reloading done this weekend. If anyone wants to meet up and shoot next week I'm on leave starting this Saturday until the 7th of next month.

Joey....what day are you wanting to go? 5th or 6th?

I plan on doing some loading as well. Need to burn up some reloader 15 and 17.

Jeff and Dale I'm down for the 6th or anyday during the week. This is good so I can mooch off both your steel targets
grin.gif

Just let me know.

Im down for the 6th. Be there in the afternoon tho. Im trying to get the wife to come along.... wich requires a sitter for a few hours.

I'd like to get there on the 6th as well but can't commit just yet.

Ren, how about letting Gunny babysit Levi? What do you think?