• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

shooting AW on blm land in california?

JoeyT1833

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2012
camp pendelton
Hello I'm new here, I'm currently in the corps and will be getting out in a little over a month. I have recentently got into shooting as a hobbie instead of work. But anyways I go dirt biking down in ocotillo wells. I know there is blm land down there that I would like to take my rifle out to shoot. I have been told conflicting information about shooting Aw's on blm in cali. Anyone know the truth about this? By the way I will be shooting off split road down pass the train tracks. My weapon is a Dpms sass.

Re: shooting AW on blm land in california?

First off, thank you for your service!!

I don't know how "things" work in CA, but I simply walked into a BLM office here in Albuquerque and said "I want to shoot on BLM land, where can I go that is safe and legal."

They gave me a map and told me spots to shoot.

Hopefully it may be that simple and easy for you.

Have fun!

Calguns.net is the place for this question.

AFAIK as long as your weapon is a registered AW you can take it on BLM, public range whatever just bring your paperwork with you in case you run into a problem LEO.

Yep, it's that easy but pay attention to fire hazard days. I got kicked off one day for driving a vehicle out when it was prohibited.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Calguns.net is the place for this question.

AFAIK as long as your weapon is a registered AW you can take it on BLM, public range whatever just bring your paperwork with you in case you run into a problem LEO. </div></div>

Calguns.net is a great resource.

I hate to be the one to bust your bubble, but unless you had the rifle in Ca before the AW ban and were able to register it, you're pretty much SOL. It's going to need to be an off-list lower with a mag lock to be legal, regardless of military status.

Joey, there is a loophole in the law that allows you to use your AR without bullet button, no fear of high cap mags, etc. legally in california.

whenever you are on BLM land.

The reason is BLM land is NOT california land, it is US guvmint land.

so only federal law applies.

WARNING THIS IS BAD ADVICE and will get you arrested with a FELONY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joey, there is a loophole in the law that allows you to use your AR without bullet button, no fear of high cap mags, etc. legally in california.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WARNING THIS IS BAD ADVICE and will get you arrested with a FELONY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joey, there is a loophole in the law that allows you to use your AR without bullet button, no fear of high cap mags, etc. legally in california.

</div></div></div></div>

No, this is actually true.

if you would like to see for your self, simply call the guvmint agency BLM.

Any agent can and will tell you the same thing.

Hell, even the local office in needles confirmed this.

It has been this way forever.

If you are not aware of it, thats OK, im here to educate those who are less informed..

CA law is enforced in CA. You cannot magically step on Federal land and have all CA laws go away.

Prove it!
Post the CADOJ letter stating what you are saying.

WARNING THIS IS NOT TRUE and you will be arrested for a FELONY!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WARNING THIS IS BAD ADVICE and will get you arrested with a FELONY.

Post this at Calguns and you will learn who is right and what the laws are.

</div></div></div></div>

If you are not aware of it, thats OK, im here to educate those who are less informed.. </div></div>

Here is the LAW, YOU CANNOT SHOOT A AW IN CA IF IT IS NOT REGISTERED IN CA!!

Thank you for your recent electronic inquiry regarding target shooting on BLM Land. The Hollister Field Office (HFO) manages approximately 315,000 acres of public lands located in central California encompassing 11 counties. Legal public access to these lands primarily exists in San Benito, Monterey, and Fresno Counties. There are basically 8 parcels which afford you the opportunity for hunting, hiking, target shooting, camping, etc – the parcel names are as follows: Panoche Hills, Tumey Hills, Griswold Hills, Laguna Mountain, Coalinga Mineral Springs, Curry Mountain, Williams Hill and Stockdale Mountain. The most popular target shooting areas are the Panoche, Tumey, and Griswold Hills.

Target shooting is allowed on public lands, however, you must provide your own targets and remove your debris when you leave your site. It is illegal to shoot at trees, signs, outbuildings, or other objects on federal lands that are for the public’s enjoyment. Bureau of Land Management California policy is to allow the use of firearms on public lands, as provided for in state law, and to cooperate with state authorities in the enforcement of firearms regulations. <span style="color: #FF0000">Persons have the permission of the BLM to possess and use firearms, including lawfully registered assault weapons,</span> on BLM administered public lands, <span style="color: #FF0000">except when prohibited by other applicable laws and regulations.</span>

There are no designated target shooting areas in our resource area, but it is allowed as long as you observe the no-shooting restrictions in effect in and around parking areas and your use is limited to legal weapons and ammunition.

We do offer a Public Information Guide (PIG) – available for $4.00 – which includes an overview of our area. It contains maps (Xerox copies of hunting areas and where the trail heads are located), and information of all publicly accessible lands administered by this office. There are maps for each of the individual areas (listed above), plus a large scale map. The large map shows the location of each of the individual areas as well as major roads and towns. In addition, phone numbers and addresses for other agencies in the area, information on current restrictions (for example shooting or fire restrictions, season motor vehicle closures, etc), information regarding the size of the parcels and other general information pertinent to this office is included. A trail map of the Fort Ord Public Lands is also included in the package.

Additional maps that can be purchased are Surface Management Maps (SMM Maps). These maps are color 1:100,000 scale maps which show federal land status, cities, and main roads and are available for $4.00 each. There are 6 maps that cover our region, they are as follows: Mendota, Coalinga, Monterey, Point Sur, Cambria and Paso Robles. Be aware that we have been involved in many land exchanges, and these maps are not up-to date. The Hollister Information packet (Public Information guide) and SMM maps can be purchased over the phone with a credit card, or you can send us a check or money order made payable to USDI, BLM and mail to 20 Hamilton Court, Hollister, CA 95023-2535.

Other California Maps available for sale can be located via the internet at the following site: www.blm.gov/ca/caso/iac/maps_pubroom.html

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the office at 831-630-5000 – Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Best regards,
Christine Sloand
Administrative Technician
Bureau of Land Management
20 Hamilton Court
Hollister, CA 95023
831-630-5026

Ukiah:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding hunting on public lands.

BLM has one designated target shooting range in our jurisdiction: North Cow Mountain: has a rifle range, located just north of the willow creek trailhead, and has been developed specifically for target shooting. There are shooting benches and target bunkers positioned @ 50, 100, 200 and 400 yards. Specific public lands are also closed to target shooting and CFR 8365.2-5(a) states you cannot shoot in a developed recreation sites, wilderness areas and coastal monuments. Rules and Regs:

Hunting and Shooting Regulations

1. It is unlawful to shoot within 150 yards of a developed site or dwelling, including camp grounds, or from a road or trail.
2. Be sure your target has a back stop.*
3. Please carry out your targets and expended cartridges or shot shells.
4. Please use paper targets only. Shooting glass objects is prohibited.
5. <span style="color: #FF0000">Possession of assault weapons on public lands, as specified in sect 122276 of the California penal Code is prohibited.</span>

Unless otherwise provided by Federal law or regulations, State and local laws and ordinances regarding shooting and hunting on public lands shall apply and be enforced by the appropriate authorities. <span style="color: #FF0000">BLM is authorized to enforce the California Fish and Game Code, the California Penal Code and the California Vehicle Code</span>, which regulate shooting around buildings and roads.

* In addition to state and local laws and regulations, BLM enforces the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). CFR 8365.1-5(a)(1) and CFR 8365.1-5(a)(2) states that you cannot shoot at any natural object (trees, bushes, stumps, rocks, etc). Specific public lands are also closed to shooting and CFR 8365.2-5(a) states you cannot shoot in a developed recreation site.

Even thought we don’t specifically state you cannot target shoot outside the designated target shooting areas, we suggest that you stay in the target areas. The reasoning for that is when you are finished target shooting we require you to remove all your targets, gun shells, clay pigeons, and any and all items used for your target shooting. Also if our Law Enforcement Rangers see you shooting unsafety or littering, they will cite you for creating a hazard and/or a nuisance or littering.

Hope this helps,
Bethney Lefebvre
Contact Representative
USDI- BLM
2550 North State St.
Ukiah, ca. 95482

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WARNING THIS IS BAD ADVICE and will get you arrested with a FELONY.

</div></div></div></div>

If you are not aware of it, thats OK, im here to educate those who are less informed.. </div></div>

It seems you are misinformed, show me the law that you can! Because I just showed that BLM enforces CA penal law, and if I am wrong, please show me in writing.....

Yes you are wrong, I just confirmed this again by calling CADOJ
916-227-7527.
This is common knowledge among BLM rangers, and local SB county sheriffs.
The problem is penal code states only what you cant do, not what you can do.
I am working on getting email from DOJ confirming this with something i can post for you guys.
stay tuned...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes you are wrong, I just confirmed this again by calling CADOJ
916-227-7527.
I am working on getting email from DOJ confirming this with something i can post for you guys.
stay tuned... </div></div>

CA law does NOT go away when you step on blm land. BLM officers enforce CA/FED law when they roll on a scene.

The reason I CANT carry concealed handguns on Yosemite NP land is because CA doesnt allow me to. Are you saying I can can carry concealed in YNP because its federal land?

Nonsense!

im not an expert on national parks.

I didnt say california law goes away, just the firearms portion.

use the phone, call BLM, ask for Jason.

he will square you away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im not an expert on national parks.

I didnt say california law goes away, just the firearms portion.

use the phone, call BLM, ask for Jason.

he will square you away.
</div></div>

I dont need to. I have read seven years of Attorney/DOJ legal advise and KNOW FOR A FACT what you are saying is WRONG. I am NOT going to risk my freedom on what "jason" the kid with bad info says from podunk desert center.

Tell me how would you legally transport this Assault weapon to the desert?

Post your FUD on the legal section in Calguns. They will educate you. Calguns "gun" attorneys will set you straight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok pal, my patience has ended.

have a nice day. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes you are wrong, I just confirmed this again by calling CADOJ
916-227-7527.
stay tuned... </div></div>

I posted in WRITING from the BLM, I also made the phone call..If you have a registered AW, you can shoot it..if not , well.. you are screwed...I go by the old addage...Why take the chance with your freedom? The good book also states: all things might be lawful, but not at vantages.....

Bad bad advice, "educate those who are less informed"? I would suggest you to get your facts straight before posting, especially when its associate to the law. "no fear of high cap mags"? You can get your ass thrown in jail for this.

Internet is not the place to show that you have loopholes to the law. Are you going to take responsibility if anyone listened to your advice and get arrested?

Think twice.....

</div></div></div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Target In Sight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bad bad advice, "educate those who are less informed"? I would suggest you to get your facts straight before posting, especially when its associate to the law. "no fear of high cap mags"? You can get your ass thrown in jail for this.

Internet is not the place to show that you have loopholes to the law. Are you going to take responsibility if anyone listened to your advice and get arrested?

Think twice.....

</div></div></div></div>

If you are not aware of it, thats OK, im here to educate those who are less informed.. </div></div> </div></div>

+1

Loopholes- Getting people trouble since the beginning of time.

Stay within the letter of law, for all of us. If you're really that much in doubt, or don't believe the SOLID reference to the law stated, give an attorney like Jason Davis a call. Don't rely on the bullshit you'll hear in gun shops, from park rangers, and even from most cops. CA AW laws are very confusing. Most authorities would rather take the gun, arrest you, and let a court figure it out later ($$$$) then let an "evil" weapon hang around on the streets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mceod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Loopholes- Getting people trouble since the beginning of time.

</div></div>No such thing as a loophole. it's either legal or not legal </div></div>

I agree with this. But has "loophole" seems to get thrown around by people not wanting to follow the letter of the law, I figured claiming it has been getting people in trouble for a long time would make sense.

A lot of interesting information going around here. I figure I will just play it safe and abide by the California laws. Thanks god I'm moving out of the state in may.

Too add even more confusion now that the series law has been struck down I'm almost 100% positive you can have a DPMS 308 lowered rifle w/o AW paperwork. So bullet button and 10 round mag when you're off the reservation.

Anyone ever see the movie Brazil? That's California.

Follow the advice of several posters here & do not use your AW unless it is registered w/ the CADOJ. Also, do read calguns.net

Check several listings there (calguns.net)of rangers checking for bullet buttons, confiscating weapons & being complete A'holes. They will not be able to generally tell if your weapon is legal or not, counties & major cities have that problem all of the time.

Several people carry copies of their AW registration forms & some have complained about instances on BLM land.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PMain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Follow the advice of several posters here & do not use your AW unless it is registered w/ the CADOJ. Also, do read calguns.net

Check several listings there (calguns.net)of rangers checking for bullet buttons, confiscating weapons & being complete A'holes. They will not be able to generally tell if your weapon is legal or not, counties & major cities have that problem all of the time.

Several people carry copies of their AW registration forms & some have complained about instances on BLM land. </div></div>
+1!

Follow up: I'd also do a Google search for arrests or complaints against rangers in or about the particular areas you plan on shooting. Also check Calguns.net using their search feature, but truthfully, I've found Googling their site to be more effective at finding past posts.

CA laws don't disappear when you go on federal land? How about when you're on a foreign country's consulate within the United States? With foreign diplomacy they are outside of the legal boundaries of everyone, and their territory treated as property of that government, even though it is on lease from the United States. Simply because you are still inside of CA's boundaries doesn't necessarily mean you are under their jurisdiction. That's why the AW ban was made to exempt military personnel, where their personal weapons were legal (remember seeing this somewhere on CADOJ website).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rideHPD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CA laws don't disappear when you go on federal land?</div></div>
When you are in a National Park you can carry concealed according to the laws of the State you are in. So yes, State gun law can apply on Federal land.

Don't know shit about CA laws or BLM regulations.

What I do know is that I wouldn't trust a word that comes from the member with the screen name OPSHIN556

This guy is a known troll and has doled out bad advice in the past with what seems like malicious intent.

Do yourself a favor and call the agencies concerned and ask them yourself. In the event that you do find yourself in a jam, telling the judge that you heard it was okay on the internet is going to help you at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rideHPD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's why the AW ban was made to exempt military personnel, where their personal weapons were legal (remember seeing this somewhere on CADOJ website). </div></div>

Sounds like you are referring to the MAWP (Military Assault Weapons Permit). The program was great for what it was, it allowed us military members stationed in Ca to register our weapons after the ban. However, after some reconstruction of the program, the state now requires us to try to get approval for something that is not authorized in the military. The program requires you to get written authorization from your INSTALLATION COMMANDER to use your PERSONAL weapon for OFFICIAL training or duty.

Recent CALGUNS.NET thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=390246

CA DOJ link:
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs#mawp

Ca kick in the balls to us .mil types:
"Official letter signed by the applicant's Base Commander, establishing that a bona fide necessity exists for use of personal assault weapons in sanctioned military activities. The letter must include a current telephone number for the Base Commander's office."

Thanks mceod, I knew there was something along those lines but I didn't know specifically, and was hoping someone would come along who actually knew what they were talking about. This issue is really no different than any other gun law; it's all about who you talk to. The law may define that the "mag magnet" creates an aw if fired with the magnet in, and there have been LEOs who have told me personally that they do not care and would not arrest someone for using one. But that's only one person, and in a policed state where the ambiguity or softness of the law (or plain ol' ignorance) allows for the strictness of enforcement to vary from officer to officer it's probably just best to play it safe and not give them a reason to arrest you for something they potentially can (assuming it can actually be considered illegal, not like how ca legal aw or something with a bullet button owners are wrongfully prosecuted).

Ride,

One of the reasons this hits so close to home is that I was ALMOST caught up in the same thing. Cops were telling me one thing, BLM Rangers (or whatever their title is) were telling me one thing, a couple different FFL's were telling me another thing, and the law pointed to something completely different. That's when I eventually got involved with Calguns. Most of the legal questions there are answered with links to the penal code or DOJ reference, so you can rely on the accuracy of the information.