• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Shooting rests, rifle bag, field bag, rear bag, sniper bean bag, sniper sock, stock sock, squeeze bag.

Vodoun daVinci

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Dec 17, 2017
    I'm a newbie looking for advice on this item...I need a little something to slide under the butt stock so I can balance and concentrate on optic alignment and breathing, etc.

Can I make one? Steal one? Tapered, heavy, light, wedge shaped, sticky, slippery, useless?

What's yer opinion and super thanks in advance for it!

VooDoo

I’m really diggin my traust bag I got from mile high. I have the Tab str8 laced as well. Can’t go wrong there.

If you want one right now, a thick sock and white rice work so well, I usually just use that one even though I have a couple of store bought ones now.

The rice grains have a greater angle of repose than most of the commercial media that is available. It makes the toe support a lot more deliberate and sort of "locks in" where you need it for more consistency from shot to shot.

Last edited:
    Old black "tactical" sock filled half full with plastic BB's...twist it and fold it over onto itself...the more you use it the more it stretches out and you just fill it with more BB's..been using for 2 years now and works great

The game changer has become my new favorite rear bag because of how the wings cradle the rifle.

If you really want to iron out the basics, shoot and dry fire without a bag.

What the hell is a “sniper bean bag” or a “sniper sock”?

Is it a sock that you can’t find or a bean bag that knocks you out from under cover?

TAB gear bag first. The small one. Move on from there.

I have one and while I like it I think I might prefer the large one. You can turn the large one on its side, the small one I find I often have to make up height with something under the bag. For traditional stocks its fine though usually right on the sling stud, for my xray Im about 2" away from my ideal height. The large would get me in a better spot on both styles.

But I support getting just a normal rectangular rear bag full on.

Seriously, you need to pick your fill first. Light and fast or heavy and stable. Most of use that shoot and travel have a bunch of both.

The OGC or Game Changer mentioned is great on barracadies.. But huge and heavy as hell. For getting hits it is hard to beat in that use. These are NOT rear squeeze bags. The new fill is not as stable.

The Tab Gear's have empty bags that you can fill on site or both light and heavy fills. Good bags..

SAP and STR8 LACED BAG are very versatile light fill bags; the STR8 LACED BAG is a bit larger and the compression straps can help make it firmer acting like a heavier filled bag..

It is hard to go wrong.. but again figure out if weight is an issue for what you plan on doing, start there.

Reactions: Shawd43
    cheap and easy rear bag option - large sock, knee high panty hose inside the sock, fill hose with airsoft bb's. tie off the hose, tie off the sock. easy to squeeze and hold to set your elevation.

I use three. a Str8 laced TAB, OG gamechanger, and a Triad wedge depending on what rifle and what situation.

Reactions: Diver160651
    Red Tac also makes some nice bags.I also use a Tab and a Str8 Laced.

Last edited:
    I just picked up the Armageddon Gear X-wing rear bag. I like it so far. Has attachment point options and comes with a velcro strap.

Just ordered a Tab Gear Large Bag and a Pollak Shooting Mat. Super thanks for all the help and replies!

VooDoo

Just ordered a Tab Gear Large Bag and a Pollak Shooting Mat. Super thanks for all the help and replies!

VooDoo

Thanks for letting us know what you got. Can you report back in a bit on how they continue to work for you? I think the Tab gear large bag is a good starting point (and doesn't break the bank either).

Any of the 6-8"-ish long bags should work fine for what you need. I have an SAP Run-n-gun that I use a bunch as a rear bag. I also have a Wiebad Mini Tac Pad that's a very similar bag (minus the QD), and a Wiebad Ultra Light bag. Any of those would work fine, as would the bags of similar dimensions mentioned already in the thread.

I also have a Saracen and a Fortune Cookie - with a higher bipod setting, both of these can also play "rear bag", and they're quite solid in that role.

Thanks for letting us know what you got. Can you report back in a bit on how they continue to work for you? I think the Tab gear large bag is a good starting point (and doesn't break the bank either).

I'll report back. I'm a comlete newbie but seem to be shooting pretty well so far. During dry fire practice I'm having issues stabilizing the sight picture at long range and found that bracing/resting the rear end of the rifle worked really well.

Hence the questions about a rear bag. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

VooDoo

Received my Tab Gear large rear bag and a shooting mat as well yesterday. Didn't get to the range but did mange to get an hour of dry firing in and the rear bag works perfectly and adds stability and micro adjustment to my sight picture at long range and high magnification. Just a squeeze or a little relaxation of the bag and micro adjustments and rock solid sight pix is possible. Exactly what I wanted.

Fit and finish on the Tab Gear items is absolutely top quality. Easy to see at a glance that these items were crafted by someone who is both skilled and motivated to produce top end stuff. No Chinese Knock Offs here. I was stunned. I don't usually see this kind of good stuff for reasonable prices - super well done to Tab Gear. I'll try and post a pix or two later this weekend.

I even got a $9 cash refund in the box as shipping cost less than originally calculated when I ordered online. So I got a note from April at Tab Gear and $9 cash in the box. When was the last time you saw *that* happen from an online order?

I'll be buying lots more stuff from Tab Gear in the future. Good stuff.

VooDoo

If you want one right now, a thick sock and white rice work so well, I usually just use that one even though I have a couple of store bought ones now.

The rice grains have a greater angle of repose than most of the commercial media that is available. It makes the toe support a lot more deliberate and sort of "locks in" where you need it for more consistency from shot to shot.
    Plus you can eat it after a match !

I'd be careful with the rice or other organic material (ie. popcorn kernels, feed corn, etc.). They are good as long as they aren't exposed to moisture, they can absorb it and get mushy. Poly beads or airsoft BBs are more impervious to the elements.

But a DIY rear bag works great. I have been shooting precision rifle for a decade now and just recently purchased a commercially available rear bag. I have used socks and BBs up until then. And honestly, I am probably going to have a local seamstress sew up some custom bags out of an old pair of BDU pants...

Back in the day when there wasn't as many "sniper" related products and companies, we used to go to local seamstresses for manufacturing custom equipment and uniform modifications.

The TAB Large Rear Bag I got has poly beads in it...the outside material is thin enough to give and squeeze but heavy enough it'll be a long time before it rips or tears. Seems abrasion resistant and moisture proof as well. I'm pretty impressed . 1000 Denier Cordura Nylon triple stitched.

TabBag.jpg

Really has stepped up my dry fire practice. I'm holding on a metal chimney about 400 yards out at 18X and have the head of a sheet metal screw under my crosshair. Just a little squeeze or relaxation and I can control elevation with no wobble, jiggle or movement. Cool stuff - highly recommended.

VooDoo

The Saracen bag (Tactical Udder) is just BADASS for barricade work! Super stable, and has more adaptability for different barricades than the Game Changer! Of course, all that is for the front and barricade type work. Tab Gear for the rear!

DK

Ive got a tab rear bag that I use for low prone shooting. I got away with just using that and a sock for the last two years.

Recently bought a feisol 3372 and rrs leveling base and realized i needed something more. Ordered an armageddon large fat bag to fill the void when im shooting off the tripod or other positional shooting. Also thinking about ordering a game changer tonhelpnwith barricades and other objects i shoot from.

Id start with the basic rear bag and go drom there depending on what type of shooting you are doing.