• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sig 226 or 228

coach4christ

Head mop pusher
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2010
NW Louisiana
Guys, I'm looking at getting a sig in either a 226 or 228. I have held both, not shot either. Like the feel of both. I like the 228 because it is a little shorter. Like the rail of the 226. I am planning to dabble in pistol matches at one of the local range. Which would you choose and why? Pretty much want to stick to a sig.
Thanks for the help.

I prefer the Sig P226 personally, although I prefer the older non-rail models.
Shoots great, accurate as heck, and great balance.
Never fired the 228, but if you're looking for a CC weapon, the 228 is better for it than the 226.

I love both but if I didnt have either I would get a P226 first. I have the P226, P229, P239 and SP2022 and love them. My P226 just fits like a glove and is a dream to shoot. Never a failure and is extremely accurate.

The Sig P226 would be the first choice, esp if you are going to do matches with it.

If you were buying strictly a CCW, then I would be leaning to the P228.

Both are shooters

Sounds like you may need to look at the p229. It is short like the p228 and has a rail.

I agree with this except I prefer w/o the rail. In my opinion the P229 is the ultimate go anywhere do anything sidearm. I have had several with both the 40 and 357 Sig barrels. The 357 is a LOUD bitch. I believe the 40 is capable of more accuracy than a 9mm and is much better for self defense.

I have a 226 and a 229. The 229 is very similar to the 228. The 226 is easier to shoot accurately due to the longer site radius.

I agree with this except I prefer w/o the rail. In my opinion the P229 is the ultimate go anywhere do anything sidearm. I have had several with both the 40 and 357 Sig barrels. The 357 is a LOUD bitch. I believe the 40 is capable of more accuracy than a 9mm and is much better for self defense.

OP said he liked the rail, that is why i mentioned it. if the OP is accurate, the P229 is a no brainer.

I have 229s (9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 SIG) and have been issued 229s and 228s. I am old so none of them have rails. I would take the 229 in .40 S&W and a .357 Sig Barrel from KKM for it (My carry if expecting trouble at work) .40 S&W shoot well but the .357 Sig will shoot half the size groups at 50 yards out of the same gun.
Bottom lime pick what you like the feel of best and SHOOT.

My preference is to the 226, but that is likely because I prefer the larger frame / longer sight radius. I miss my 226 to this day, will hopefully buy it back from the friend I sold it to someday if he chooses to unload it. Only firearm I wish I hadn't sold.

Well, I went with a 228. It felt the best in my hands, and it can double as my cc pistol. The only downside was that it was in fde. I'm more of a black gun kind of guy, but the more I sit here and mess with it, the more it is growing on me. If I don't shoot as well as I want in comps, I could always purchase a 226. Thanks for the help guys, it was much appreciated.