• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Silencer Shop News Update: ATF eForms Launch Imminent!

I haven't completed the docusign yet, still need to go to the dealer.

I'm hoping my other suppressor (check cashed 02/12/21) will have a stamp at the dealer next week and I can do it all at once :)
You should be any day. Just got a few of mine that were a few days ahead of you.

Reactions: kthomas
My lgs said they have only heard rumors of efile and are still doing the mail in method until further notice. May be time to check other shops. Or wait until the new system goes live.

As a reference for anyone else, my earliest order from 11/18 hadn't been mailed yet so that's going eform. I'd guess anything newer than that is in the same boat.

Ordered one 11/23 and it’s not mailed yet sounds it’s going eform?

What is the difference in checks between buying a firearm and a form 4? Here in Texas, not sure about other states, I can just show my CCL and skip the background check. Why can't we submit our CCLs with a form 4 and greatly speed up the wait?

What is the difference in checks between buying a firearm and a form 4? Here in Texas, not sure about other states, I can just show my CCL and skip the background check. Why can't we submit our CCLs with a form 4 and greatly speed up the wait?
Because that would make sense and make it too easy. Obviously cannot do that....

That’s not even the worst part, IMO. The fact that after you receive a tax stamp you have to then file a 4473 and go through another “background check”. The whole thing is designed to test one’s patience.

Reactions: GhostFace
Talk to your LGS and SilencerShop.

I'm in the same situation, I asked an SS rep if I should file now or wait for the new efile system to launch - they said all new applications will be converted to efile, so you can start the process anytime and be okay.

If you aren't using the SS kiosk, then you probably have to wait until the efile system launches.
The kiosk and process will all be the same on our end as it pertains to registration information. So don't worry about waiting to begin the process. All current form 4 applications that have not been mailed are being held to submit via eForms when it launches.

We hope that helps!

Guess I should call my lgs tomorrow and ask if they are hip to the new e-file thing and if they are holding new applications till then. Was seriously planning on buying a new can tomorrow. Would rather wait and take my chances with the new system.
You can buy now and your order will be held until eForms goes live. Also, we will still be supporting paper submissions.

Reactions: Baron23
I think comparisons to form 1s are unrealistic, to say the least. My understanding is that form 1s are but a small fraction of what form 4s amount to.

If this system drops this month, I personally think we could see a HUGE surge this month continuing into Q1 2022. That surge is likely to swamp this new system in short order. A system that is dependent on other agencies as well.

Don’t get me wrong I think this is great news. But it will remain to be seen just how fast we will see a real benefit from it. I’m not that optimistic at this point.
At Silencer Shop we support your right to choose. From December 4th onward, all Form 4 applications through us are automatically going to be eFormed. If you prefer traditional paper submissions, that preference is available in your Silencer Shop Customer Dashboard. We are happy to work with you on whichever format you think is best.

eForm Silencer Shop Portal Toggle.gif

Reactions: Bakwa and Baron23
Ughhh...I placed an order through SS right at the beginning of the bogo promotion but I believe my check has already been cashed. It would be pathetic if my yet-to-be-manufactured suppressor is approved before the one sitting in jail but submitted with a paper Form 4.
DM us your order number and we can let you know where your order is in the process. :)

That’s not even the worst part, IMO. The fact that after you receive a tax stamp you have to then file a 4473 and go through another “background check”. The whole thing is designed to test one’s patience.
You shouldn't have to do another background check. You fill out a 4473 to have a record of you taking possession from the ffl. There's even a box on the the back of page 1 at the bottom that a NICS background check is not needed because of a nfa check.... unless it's a company or local policy that's a waste of time.

Reactions: FuhQ and E. Bryant
One of the local shops here sent out an email today saying they were expecting 90 day wait times with e-file per the ATF.

HI SS - thanks for the update.

I note in your blog on this subject it says (emphasis in bold added by me): "By tapping into eForms, your NFA application will be digitized and your ATF wait time should be reduced."

My general understanding is that the ATF has blamed their unconscionably slow processing times for Form 4's on the FBI who do the background checks (and my understanding is that the FBI only does online/database background investigations vice interviews like DSS and security clearances).

Digitized or not, I'm kind of having a hard time seeing how this e-form filing will make a substantial difference. So, instead of a pile of folders on their desk, they will have a queue of electronic files that they can let molder.

Am I wrong?
Isn’t the reason for the ATF’s unconscionable and unconstitutional delays simply the ATF’s deliberate policy to process the applications at slow or even no speed? Not that I’d want to be cynical or anything. How is it possible to be so incompetent at a function without doing so intentionally?

So I, too, will believe e-filing will be faster when I see it. Which I won’t, because the government doesn’t care about making the process faster or more efficient.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Isn’t the reason for the ATF’s unconscionable and unconstitutional delays simply the ATF’s deliberate policy to process the applications at slow or even no speed? Not that I’d want to be cynical or anything. How is it possible to be so incompetent at a function without doing so intentionally?

So I, too, will believe e-filing will be faster when I see it. Which I won’t, because the government doesn’t care about making the process faster or more efficient.
I’ll stay optimistic I’m my pessimistic attitude. I mean a form 1 for an SBR can take as little as 30 days so hey maybe there is hope.

But I’ll still only believe it when I see it

Everyone has their theories about NFA wait times, but no one has a full set of facts, and even if they did, it would be very difficult to ascribe those to a specific motivation. So the only thing anyone can do is to make some observations on the current data that is available, and then sit back and wait.

I predict issues early on as an influx of new buyers meets a system that has never worked 100% smoothly, and then the wait times will drop to something closer to Form 1 eForms, and then soon after we'll find that the bottleneck has now moved to the limited manufacturing capacity across this small industry.

Everyone has their theories about NFA wait times, but no one has a full set of facts, and even if they did, it would be very difficult to ascribe those to a specific motivation. So the only thing anyone can do is to make some observations on the current data that is available, and then sit back and wait.

I predict issues early on as an influx of new buyers meets a system that has never worked 100% smoothly, and then the wait times will drop to something closer to Form 1 eForms, and then soon after we'll find that the bottleneck has now moved to the limited manufacturing capacity across this small industry.
You are absolutely right about theories. And your prediction is well-grounded. My views are based not on a wealth of facts, but on cynicism, outrage, and vituperation. My views are an accusation, not a fact.

To be clear, I have the utmost respect for ATF field agents who put their lives on the line fighting real, violent crime.

As for the ATF bureaucracy, the fact that the ATF could produce a virulently anti-gun guy of sufficient seniority to be nominated to run the ATF fuels my skepticism about the motives that drive that bureaucracy from the top down.

• Love
Reactions: Bart and GhostFace
This fall I decided I didn’t want to mess around with my hearing and bought like five different suppressors to add to the smaller collection I already had. (Silencer Shop doing the Form 4 process). A little unfortunate that if I had done that later I could have gotten them earlier but I guess it is what it is. Maybe they will process the legacy paper ones faster if the new ones coming in electronically are less work.

You are absolutely right about theories. And your prediction is well-grounded. My views are based not on a wealth of facts, but on cynicism, outrage, and vituperation. My views are an accusation, not a fact.

Props for the vocabulary - particularly since even the better-educated members of this forum frequently punch out messages with all the punctuation and grammar that one would expect of a text message from a 14-year-old girl.

Reactions: Voroshilovsky
As a reference for anyone else, my earliest order from 11/18 hadn't been mailed yet so that's going eform. I'd guess anything newer than that is in the same boat.
My late November order was cashed today. 🪦

Looks like there is an option in your dashboard now for paper or electronic

Props for the vocabulary - particularly since even the better-educated members of this forum frequently punch out messages with all the punctuation and grammar that one would expect of a text message from a 14-year-old girl.
Thanks. College was the best six years of my life, so I try to put that literature degree to good use whenever I can. Which is seldom.

got the same email
Same. They mentioned in the email that electronic fingerprints will be able to be uploaded. Does anyone know if you will still be able to mail in cards? I'm used to just rolling my own for form 1s and mailing them in and unsure what is acceptable for e-fingerprints. I assume local sheriffs office or possible a silencershop kiosk could do e-prints.

Reactions: Another Casual
Same. They mentioned in the email that electronic fingerprints will be able to be uploaded. Does anyone know if you will still be able to mail in cards? I'm used to just rolling my own for form 1s and mailing them in and unsure what is acceptable for e-fingerprints. I assume local sheriffs office or possible a silencershop kiosk could do e-prints.
You can do your fingerprints at the SilencerShop kiosk

You can do your fingerprints at the SilencerShop kiosk

I have a question about that... I went to the closest place with a kiosk and they had a sign that if I used the kiosk but wasn't buying from them it would be a $40 fee. Is that legit?

I just wanted to get my prints and photo done for my account so I could get something later...

My local dealer didn’t charge me anything to do the kiosk photos and prints. I am transferring through him but bought the can through the Kgm group buy. It does help that I do a fair amount of buisness with him I’m sure.

HI SS - thanks for the update.

I note in your blog on this subject it says (emphasis in bold added by me): "By tapping into eForms, your NFA application will be digitized and your ATF wait time should be reduced."

My general understanding is that the ATF has blamed their unconscionably slow processing times for Form 4's on the FBI who do the background checks (and my understanding is that the FBI only does online/database background investigations vice interviews like DSS and security clearances).

Digitized or not, I'm kind of having a hard time seeing how this e-form filing will make a substantial difference. So, instead of a pile of folders on their desk, they will have a queue of electronic files that they can let molder.

Am I wrong?

Yes. You're wrong.

Every time it comes up, ATF collects the paperwork and cashes the cheque. They then bulk mail all the forms every few weeks or so to the FBI. They then process the forms, and bulk mail them back.

There can be months of the forms simply sitting waiting to be mailed back and forth.

Efile will essentially make the back and forth between alphabet agencies instant, and much more orderly.

There is no difference in a form 1 vs 4. All the same inspectors. Form 1 paper took just as long as a form 4 paper.

I have seen silly stuff. My BIL bought a can in September, I bought one in December. Same dealer. Mine was back by the next August, his didn't show up until October. I'd bet his form was simply sitting on a desk, and got shuffled to the bottom of the pile a few times.

Reactions: Eric_F
I've seen a couple pics,, of the ATF receiving/mail room, Pallets of banker boxes full of forms, they literaally a couple years back were delivering a pallet to each reviewer, 4layers deep... RIght to thier desk with a empty pallet next to it.. God that job must suck your soul away..

Today is the last day to do your Form 1 before you are pushed through the new system.

Fingers crossed it works seamlessly, I've got a suppressor on the way to my dealer

I don't know who told you that, but you don't have to go through another background check. The 4473 that you fill out upon taking possession of your suppressor (once your stamp comes in) is simply for physical proof of transfer from the FFL/SOT to the individual (you) for their own records incase of an ATF audit. It never gets called in, because you just underwent an FBI cavity search, it's only for physical proof of transfer. But I agree, it is completely stupid to have to fill out a 4473 after receiving your stamp.

I have a question about that... I went to the closest place with a kiosk and they had a sign that if I used the kiosk but wasn't buying from them it would be a $40 fee. Is that legit?

I just wanted to get my prints and photo done for my account so I could get something later...
Yes, they can charge whatever they want if you don't buy from them, or they can let you do it free, it's up to each dealer. They have to actually buy those kiosks, and they cost like $5,000 each. So, if you're not buying through them, they don't get their commission cut from Silencer Shop for the sale, so I honestly can't blame them for charging if you aren't buying through them.

I've seen a couple pics,, of the ATF receiving/mail room, Pallets of banker boxes full of forms, they literaally a couple years back were delivering a pallet to each reviewer, 4layers deep... RIght to thier desk with a empty pallet next to it.. God that job must suck your soul away..
Pretty sure that's one of the main reasons the eForm system is being pushed-through.

Been waiting >1 year for one suppressor I was hoping to use this deer season so I don't harm my hearing.

Oddly, I bought a .22 model on the same paper and that was approved already. Makes no bloody sense.

I would say $40-50 is pretty average.

My dealer charges $100, which is definitely on the higher side.

A lot to read through here….

So… is the general consensus that E File will :

Speed up the existing Forms ?
Slow down existing Forms ?
Or no one has a clue ?

Would ppl be better off cancelling an existing application and resubmitting?

Been waiting >1 year for one suppressor I was hoping to use this deer season so I don't harm my hearing.

Oddly, I bought a .22 model on the same paper and that was approved already. Makes no bloody sense.
Same here, but it was due to some dealer negligence resulting in an ATF audit that resulted in the ATF kicking back over 100 Form-4's (including 1 of my 3 with that dealer). I got my other 2 back in August, and the 3rd should have been approved right there, too, but it never came, and that's when I found out about the audit and all that crap. So, I'm at over a year now since purchase for a can that should have been approved back in August. 😡

Reactions: HousePlant
A lot to read through here….

So… is the general consensus that E File will :

Speed up the existing Forms ?
Slow down existing Forms ?
Or no one has a clue ?

Would ppl be better off cancelling an existing application and resubmitting?

Based upon the ATF's own data on paper via eForm on every other type of application, it should speed up. By how much? Who knows. Might even get slower for a while as we see an inrush of new applications.

Soon - very soon, if this transition works well - the bottleneck will shift to the supply of available suppressors.

Reactions: FuhQ and rlsmith1