• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Single barrel whiskey is a scam. Fight me.

Not a scam in the sense that it isn't aged or isn't an actual whiskey (looking at you Templeton rye) or cognac or whatever, but in the sense that it's retarded to pay a premium for it. Single barrel to me is simply a marketing term to get you to pay more, for the same damn thing, because they stuck it in a smaller barrel yet all other things are exactly the same, assuming they are aged the same.

Additionally, and I've had this happen with both whiskey and cognac, a single barrel bottle to another single barrel bottle of the exact same alcohol have tasted differently. It was to the point that we thought it wasn't even the same brand.

So with that said, single barrel is for dumb people*.

* - Unless all they produce is single barrel. Because then you're just stuck.

Obviously you aren't tipping your pinky while drinking it so you wouldn't understand why it is worth the premium.

The other night I went out to this new place. Had a beer. Thought well I’ll have a glass of whiskey. Looked on the wall and saw a bottle with the name “whistle pig”. I like the sound of that. Had 2, 2oz “poors”. Got the ticket and it was $114 just for the whiskey. What in the flying fuck. I had no clue such a pricey fluid even existed.

If you really want to shit your pants on cost look at what those high end cognacs go for.

Yeah. Single barrel bourbon is a scam. Stop buying it. Please stop. All the action is in high-end tequila now anyway.😉😉

My wife went on a tequila distillery tour in Mexico and bought a $150 bottle. I laughed and told her "you know it's not the same thing you were tasting, right?" She insisted that they told her it was the same.

2 weeks later at home, "this tastes way different than it did there..."

Certain single barrels I like. Bookers is always good, never had a bad bottle. Being a poor I'm sipping on devil's cut right now. Have Lagavulin 16 in the cupboard and I prefer the damn devil's cut.

Glenmorangie lasanta is my favorite of anything I've tried. Just the right spicey and a ton of flavor with the sherry cask aging.

Reactions: lash
Ok I'll bite some seem confused.

Single Barrel Bourbon: The product of a solitary barrel of bourbon, that has been dumped independently from other barrels, and then bottled as its own product. Personally I think this definition is wrong.

This definition is correct and what you want.

Barrel-Proof Bourbon: Bourbon that has not been diluted with water before bottling.

I still have some whiskey in the house in commemorative bottles or I would sell or trade them.

Barrel proof is from a single unwatered down barrel. They will vary per barrel in strength and taste. The barrel number is included in labeling as is the proof since it is not the same.

As far as I'm concerned cask strength does not imply single barrel at all and is misleading people with man buns.

Cut your man bun off, man up and get you some of this.

View attachment 7601813

127 proof and smooth at only 4 years.

Also recently tried another brand of which I hate thier blended but the barrel proof was nice but I will leave it at just the TX.
Every Texas whiskey tastes like shit, but I haven't tried that one...

• Haha
Reactions: Ison and Snuby642
Yeah Blue Label is barely scotch. For 10x the price.

I love rye and Cognac. Problem with Cognac is, there's about a billion of them and the range of flavors/taste is all over the place to the point that there needs to be like 40 sub categories.

The problem with most cognacs is, unless you know someone who has something, your chances of finding a glass to taste other than buying an expensive bottle and hoping it doesnt suck is low.
Willet 8 yr rye, which I had to buy secondary for 4x the price of 4 yr, is definitely not worth the difference...but it’s still nice to have years 2-8 to pull out and share.
It’s like shooting FA. It’s fucking FA.

So, do yall buy these spirits and leave them in their bottle? About every 6 months or so ill buy a bottle of crown xr, but i church it up by putting it in a stuben decanture. Lol

You may not be implying this, but Booker’s is batched. It’s not a single barrel.

Ah, I know it has varied between bottles. Apparently it's been awhile since I looked at one and actually read it.

Quit being a poor and buy the whole barrel.

This reminds me of the people who wonder why different lots of powder perform differently.

Willet 8 yr rye, which I had to buy secondary for 4x the price of 4 yr, is definitely not worth the difference...but it’s still nice to have years 2-8 to pull out and share.
It’s like shooting FA. It’s fucking FA.

I've discovered that the best rye hands down is the Louis Vuitton Woodinville.

My wife went on a tequila distillery tour in Mexico and bought a $150 bottle. I laughed and told her "you know it's not the same thing you were tasting, right?" She insisted that they told her it was the same.

2 weeks later at home, "this tastes way different than it did there..."

Certain single barrels I like. Bookers is always good, never had a bad bottle. Being a poor I'm sipping on devil's cut right now. Have Lagavulin 16 in the cupboard and I prefer the damn devil's cut.

Glenmorangie lasanta is my favorite of anything I've tried. Just the right spicey and a ton of flavor with the sherry cask aging.
I like the lasanta a lot. The Quinta Ruben is bigger/bolder. I like it on other days.

The other night I went out to this new place. Had a beer. Thought well I’ll have a glass of whiskey. Looked on the wall and saw a bottle with the name “whistle pig”. I like the sound of that. Had 2, 2oz “poors”. Got the ticket and it was $114 just for the whiskey. What in the flying fuck. I had no clue such a pricey fluid even existed.
Whistle Pig Boss Hog sells for $500 a bottle, Whistle Pig 18yr Rye $375. and then there's a couple others 12 yr and 8 yr

I don't care about single barrel vs blended. I want something I can find locally at a decent liquor store (no internet sales to WY), tastes good neat, goes down smooth, and is a decent price point. I drink bourbon and other whiskeys to enjoy, not to get drunk. I also don't give a shit about the story behind it, because I'm drinking it and not reading it. I don't taste high price or rarity either, I have a bottle of gifted G.T. Stagg and consider it good, but far from >$500 good and I would never personally buy a bottle. A connoisseur I am not.

My go-to are Jefferson Very Old Very Small, Eagle Rare and Makers 46. Woodford Reserve is okay to me, but only when the previous three are unavailable, and Woodford is easily found, even at gas stations.

Jameson is boozing grade swill from when I was a Sergeant who lived in a bottle. I don't even cook with that shit, that's what Makers Mark is for. Also, you couldn't give me a bottle of Knob Creek, bought it once to give it a whirl, suffered through two fingers and haven't been able to get rid of it after three years of trying. However, it is amusing to give a glass to company and watch their face turn all which ways when they try it.

I don't care about single barrel vs blended. I want something I can find locally at a decent liquor store (no internet sales to WY), tastes good neat, goes down smooth, and is a decent price point. I drink bourbon and other whiskeys to enjoy, not to get drunk. I also don't give a shit about the story behind it, because I'm drinking it and not reading it. I don't taste high price or rarity either, I have a bottle of gifted G.T. Stagg and consider it good, but far from >$500 good and I would never personally buy a bottle. A connoisseur I am not.

My go-to are Jefferson Very Old Very Small, Eagle Rare and Makers 46. Woodford Reserve is okay to me, but only when the previous three are unavailable, and Woodford is easily found, even at gas stations.

Jameson is boozing grade swill from when I was a Sergeant who lived in a bottle. I don't even cook with that shit, that's what Makers Mark is for. Also, you couldn't give me a bottle of Knob Creek, bought it once to give it a whirl, suffered through two fingers and haven't been able to get rid of it after three years of trying. However, it is amusing to give a glass to company and watch their face turn all which ways when they try it.
fair enough, but remember the earlier generations made a few bucks and hour at one time, and were spending their money to feed and clothe their young ones, and not on high priced whiskeys (other than a fairly small percentage of fairly well off).

now in more recent generations, people have more "disposable" income, don't save for their kid's education (like i did).

for many of us, it was good enough for us then, and it is good enough for us now, but then i am not a fireside sipper.

my brother is a salesman and one of his biggest customers was an 80+ year old irishman (from ireland) that always drank the jamesons "swill".
for his 85th my brother wanted to get him something special, so he bought the most expensive bottle from jamesons he could find.
hahaha! the old man was pissed!!! "What that FOOK is this crap?!!! You know what I drink, and it isn't this shite!!!" :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Redmanss and lash
The whole point of the single barrel thing is that they have variation.

I saw a documentary on History or something a long time ago that explained it.

Okay, see right there is the reason I would rather drink what I like. If I have to be told why something should be better and it isn’t evident when I taste it, then it’s just a load of hoity toity bullshit being fed to me by the industry and it’s willing followers.

We had a whiskey club at the startup I was working, brought in the Glenvlivet Master of Malt guy. Got to taste some of the high dollar hooch.

I'll be honest some were good, some were not. However there was some lesser ($70--it was all premium) that was waay better than that $200. Its all what you like.

We also had a blind taste test, most people couldn't tell what the difference between scotch, whiskey/bourban, artificial whiskey, and, Japanese Whiskey.

Single Malt, also a scam--all Cognac is blended, so why is blended scotch so frowned upon? Speaking of Cognac--there's another premium. Christian Bros XO was a nice smoooth brandy at $30. Try and find an XO Cognac for that..... Argmenanac (Brandy from other part of france that I can't spell) can be found at 1/2 price of Cognac. Still Brandy....

Drink what you like and if anyone says you should try X dollar high value booze, make THEM pay for it. You ain't missing anything. Buy what you like. I love this local Cinnamon Girl Whisley. My wife thinks I'm nuts. My money, I buy what I want.

Reactions: Redmanss and lash
Yeah. Single barrel bourbon is a scam. Stop buying it. Please stop. All the action is in high-end tequila now anyway.😉😉

I love good sipping Tequila, and it is as tasty favorable sipping as some of my Scotch Whiskey's . I keep my good Tequila I hand picked, on the shelf under my Single Malts and sip them from a nice crystal Waterford, same as I do scotch.

Done a few distillery tours in Mex. on Tequila way back in the day, when Porfidio was all the rage, and still in business . Good well made Tequila is some fantastic drink, and the 'best' is not exported out and you never find unless you go Tequila hunting in Mexico .
The Best is small batch, distilled, bottled and labeled by small family operations . Even some of the Mexican backyard home distilling is GOOD smooth sipping clear Hooch . Good backyard/garage Mexican ' Raicilla ' clear Agave Hooch is 10x better than the mass imported garbage bottle tequila you buy in your corner liquor store here . Only way to get good tequila is go there ,find it, and bring it back with you .

Anyway .. Tequila is exact same distillation as Rum, and many will distill Sugarcane Rum when Agave is not in-season .
Tequila is unlike Whiskey's that go threw a single or multi Casks for ageing many years . Agave distillation when it's barreled, will not age more than 2 years , does nothing to keep it in barrels past that point . Also some of the best flavors for Tequila, a lot of old used oak whiskey barrels are shipped and used in Mexico for some BEST tasty sipping tequila . but ( i was told) unlike whiskey's, they only use the old whiskey oak barrels one time for aged tequila , then the Barrels are done, trashed and burned .

Reactions: Dewey7271
fair enough, but remember the earlier generations made a few bucks and hour at one time, and were spending their money to feed and clothe their young ones, and not on high priced whiskeys (other than a fairly small percentage of fairly well off).

now in more recent generations, people have more "disposable" income, don't save for their kid's education (like i did).

for many of us, it was good enough for us then, and it is good enough for us now, but then i am not a fireside sipper.

my brother is a salesman and one of his biggest customers was an 80+ year old irishman (from ireland) that always drank the jamesons "swill".
for his 85th my brother wanted to get him something special, so he bought the most expensive bottle from jamesons he could find.
hahaha! the old man was pissed!!! "What that FOOK is this crap?!!! You know what I drink, and it isn't this shite!!!" :ROFLMAO:
Jameson was the high priced stuff to me when I wore three stripes. It’s a rough and medicine tasting drink to me, almost metallic is my best way of putting it, and boy have I drank a lot of it. I’ve since grown well away from it and won’t touch it today short of times with my boys from the past.

To me even now, $40/bottle is about my limit (Jefferson from above excluded at $60 for special occasions) and a bottle lasts me a minimum of six months. My days of three suitcases and two bottles a week are long behind me, now I enjoy the drink instead of the drunk, but I still have yet to find anything high dollar that I deem worth the price point to experience.

I love good sipping Tequila, and it is as tasty favorable sipping as some of my Scotch Whiskey's . I keep my good Tequila I hand picked, on the shelf under my Single Malts and sip them from a nice crystal Waterford, same as I do scotch.

Done a few distillery tours in Mex. on Tequila way back in the day, when Porfidio was all the rage, and still in business . Good well made Tequila is some fantastic drink, and the 'best' is not exported out and you never find unless you go Tequila hunting in Mexico .
The Best is small batch, distilled, bottled and labeled by small family operations . Even some of the Mexican backyard home distilling is GOOD smooth sipping clear Hooch . Good backyard/garage Mexican ' Raicilla ' clear Agave Hooch is 10x better than the mass imported garbage bottle tequila you buy in your corner liquor store here . Only way to get good tequila is go there ,find it, and bring it back with you .

Anyway .. Tequila is exact same distillation as Rum, and many will distill Sugarcane Rum when Agave is not in-season .
Tequila is unlike Whiskey's that go threw a single or multi Casks for ageing many years . Agave distillation when it's barreled, will not age more than 2 years , does nothing to keep it in barrels past that point . Also some of the best flavors for Tequila, a lot of old used oak whiskey barrels are shipped and used in Mexico for some BEST tasty sipping tequila . but ( i was told) unlike whiskey's, they only use the old whiskey oak barrels one time for aged tequila , then the Barrels are done, trashed and burned .
Please, God, tell all your friends: bourbon is dead! I can't deal with any more of this assholeville.

Attachments

• Resized_20210315_164821.jpeg
    Resized_20210315_164821.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 39
So what’s the verdict on Bulleit Bourbon? Buddy of mine dropped off a bottle but I haven’t had a chance it try it yet. I personally am a rum guy with Ron Zacapa Edicion Negra being the best I’ve found but I do hit the whiskey from time to time.

Reactions: QuickNDirty
Couple of d-bags were at the bar sitting next to me last weekend, drinking Fireball. Made my root beer seem pretty outstanding for once.

Reactions: OldSalty2
So what’s the verdict on Bulleit Bourbon? Buddy of mine dropped off a bottle but I haven’t had a chance it try it yet. I personally am a rum guy with Ron Zacapa Edicion Negra being the best I’ve found but I do hit the whiskey from time to time.
Guy used to hunt with me switched from Jack to bulleit. I don't mind it, but for drinking whiskey I prefer George Dickel.

The bullet cask strength is pretty nice. I do not like the plain bullet.

With regards to your statement of the bottle of Knob Creek.... that is about the sentiment I had 'some years ago' with our first bottle of Blanton's. Now, I realize that they ARE two different things, but, it was so bad that we'd complained to the company after I brought it up here. Because all of the Bourbonologists here said that 'it isn't right'. (How was I to know, it was our first bottle of that stuff,,,,?)

Point being, the company put us in contact with their regional distributor, and we were then asked to bring the bottle to their office, directly. The lady we dealt with was very nice, hospitable, and open to discussion. She gave us a bit of a run-down (as an intro) to what we "should" be tasting. Sort of a 'personal tutorial' as to "how" to taste, as well as "what" to taste, with their particular product.

I was all fine, well, and good with that. I know what I don't know, and that means that I know that I don't know EVERYTHING about Bourbon or the nuances.

She then said: "Let's give yours a taste then, shall we?" She then poured a small amount into 3 separate glasses, set one in front of My Lady and myself, then herself. We both just sat there, and watched her taste hers.

Holy Crap, that moment right there was worth the price of admission. Hoo man, did her face ever change / transform into pure disgust and repulsion!

"THAT'S HORRID..... you can't drink THAT!!!!!"

I then said "so, it's not just us then?"

She took the bottle away, took the glasses away from us, and brought out a new bottle. She asked me to crack it open, to which I did. She brought out new glasses, and first offered us some bottled water to 'flush out our palates'. She then poured from the new bottle, and the heavens shone, the clouds cleared, and the angels sang.

In other words, that was then more along the lines of what we were expecting to begin with. She apologized, and stated that she didn't know what was wrong with our bottle, but it should never have made it to the bottling department, let alone out the warehouse door. She then also gave us a bottle of Buffalo Trace, as well as a steel sign for our bar, of Buffalo Trace.

It was an experience, for sure. The point of all that blathering though, is 'quality control' isn't always Six Sigma.

Considering what you said about your reaction and others too, maybe you want to follow-up on that path? Just a suggestion.

I forgot to add, that up here in Canuckistania the cost of those bottles of Blanton's is in the area of $100.00 so I wasn't about to just 'pour it out'. Ya'lls prices down there are considerably different, but the point is still the same though. Bourbon's are all different, sure. But they shouldn't be THAT different.

Reactions: lash and Redmanss
With regards to your statement of the bottle of Knob Creek.... that is about the sentiment I had 'some years ago' with our first bottle of Blanton's. Now, I realize that they ARE two different things, but, it was so bad that we'd complained to the company after I brought it up here. Because all of the Bourbonologists here said that 'it isn't right'. (How was I to know, it was our first bottle of that stuff,,,,?)

Point being, the company put us in contact with their regional distributor, and we were then asked to bring the bottle to their office, directly. The lady we dealt with was very nice, hospitable, and open to discussion. She gave us a bit of a run-down (as an intro) to what we "should" be tasting. Sort of a 'personal tutorial' as to "how" to taste, as well as "what" to taste, with their particular product.

I was all fine, well, and good with that. I know what I don't know, and that means that I know that I don't know EVERYTHING about Bourbon or the nuances.

She then said: "Let's give yours a taste then, shall we?" She then poured a small amount into 3 separate glasses, set one in front of My Lady and myself, then herself. We both just sat there, and watched her taste hers.

Holy Crap, that moment right there was worth the price of admission. Hoo man, did her face ever change / transform into pure disgust and repulsion!

"THAT'S HORRID..... you can't drink THAT!!!!!"

I then said "so, it's not just us then?"

She took the bottle away, took the glasses away from us, and brought out a new bottle. She asked me to crack it open, to which I did. She brought out new glasses, and first offered us some bottled water to 'flush out our palates'. She then poured from the new bottle, and the heavens shone, the clouds cleared, and the angels sang.

In other words, that was then more along the lines of what we were expecting to begin with. She apologized, and stated that she didn't know what was wrong with our bottle, but it should never have made it to the bottling department, let alone out the warehouse door. She then also gave us a bottle of Buffalo Trace, as well as a steel sign for our bar, of Buffalo Trace.

It was an experience, for sure. The point of all that blathering though, is 'quality control' isn't always Six Sigma.

Considering what you said about your reaction and others too, maybe you want to follow-up on that path? Just a suggestion.
You make a good point about six sigma. I tend to forget that not every industry is yet familiar with statistical testing and control.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
i bought a bottle of decoy "red wine", for cooking some lamb shanks for easter.
it was very drinkable and made some great braised lamb shanks.

Varietal Content: 43% Merlot, 25% Zinfandel, 24% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Tempranillo; Cooperage: Aged in 40% New French Oak for 14 months

i bought a bottle of decoy "red wine", for cooking some lamb shanks for easter.
it was very drinkable and made some great braised lamb shanks.

Varietal Content: 43% Merlot, 25% Zinfandel, 24% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Tempranillo; Cooperage: Aged in 40% New French Oak for 14 months
Their cabernet and pinot noir are even better, punch way above their price.

Reactions: theLBC
Please, God, tell all your friends: bourbon is dead! I can't deal with any more of this assholeville.
I wouldn’t mind that bottle of John Bowman (not the Bowman Bros) on the top shelf in your pic.
On your second pic, nothing wrong with Taylor imo either.

Definitely nothing wrong with good tequila either.

Reactions: lash
Sauza TRES GENERACIONES anejo

Everything else is pretty much shit.
Ask John Wayne.

Anejo is the key thing people should learn. Probably a lot of good tequila out there that is anejo but stupid sob's think gold and silver is even a thing..

For a lower cost widely available at a lot of bars / stores 1800 anejo is good but not smokey like 3 gen.