• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SixFive Ultrabolt or Maxim Bolt for 6ARC

AMwood

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2018
Boise, Idaho
Gathering the parts for a 22” 6mm ARC build and need input on a bolt. I’m looking at a Maxim or a SixFive Ultrabolt with their improved extractor.

—TLDR—
Does the SixFive Ultrabolt live up to its marketing or should I just buy a gtg Maxim?

The Maxim is good to go and a known quantity in terms of quality and tolerances. The Ultrabolt is essentially supposed to be “bigger, faster, stronger.” However, I can’t find much in terms of user feedback and it’s from a lesser known company/manufacturer who doesn’t mag particle inspect etc. No hate towards the Ultrabolt just stating what’s written on the product page.

I’m not looking to push the envelope with 108 gr pills or try and get bolt gun performance. I do like overbuilt, quality components though.

Is there an appreciable difference in the two or does it matter? Thoughts? Feedback?

The Grendel people might know more as these bolts hail from that world originally.
Thanks, I appreciate the response. I dug through the Grendel forum but couldn’t find much other than the creator’s thread documenting his manufacturing hurdles and a bunch of guys saying “count me in for 1.” It’s possible I missed something in there though.

6.5 Grendel bolts I have been using since 2009:

* AA Bolt that came with the 16” barrel/bolt combo (thousands of rounds fired through this)
* Maxim bolt (completed by Precision Firearms) in my 17.6” MLGS Lilja (thousands of rounds more than the 16”)
* AA Hard use bolt x many used in builds for others (these were a different aerospace-grade alloy with a relieved and sand-cut bolt lug opposite side of the extractor, had a smooth metallic grey sheen to them)
* Monster Logo Grendel bolts from the same source as the Ultrabolts with thousands of rounds put through 2x12” Grendels shot suppressed since 2017
* LaRue Stealth 2.0 complete rifle with whatever bolt LaRue uses
* Precision Firearms complete uppers with Maxim bolts
* A bunch of others I’m not recalling

I have also seen a lot of people come through DM Course and events where we shoot 2-3 days, all day with AR-15s in 6.5 Grendel at distance. These events usually involve 250-300 rounds fired per rifle.

Have also done some CQM with 12.5” Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Grendel suppressed during carbine courses, but not the entire course. We did a comparison between 6.5 Grendel and 5.56 with close range drills to measure cone of error on rapid strings from the increased recoil.

My buddy who owns the 12.5” Grendel says he has broken a bunch of extractors, which was weird because I’ve never broken one. Upon further inquiry, I learned he had bought literally cases upon cases of PPU 120gr he was burning through. Turns out they were all under the recalled lots, so I don’t know if that was a factor in his extractors breaking repeatedly.

I have shot a healthy mix of factory ammo and hand loads. Most of my factory ammo has been Hornady, followed by Federal and PPU.

I personally have not broken or seen firsthand any broken Grendel bolts, but I have seen them posted online occasionally. I have personally broken 5.56 bolts on abuser blasters running 300-500rds per day training for 3-Gun or CQM. I broke my first 5.56 bolt after over 10,000 rounds through a 16” CLGS J&T upper. Dropped in a new bolt, changed my action spring, kept shooting.

I did finally break something on my 12” Grendel though last class with it. My GRSC 1-4x scope. Reticle started canting and canting. Pulled it and replaced with the Norden Performance 1-6x24 made by LOW in Japan, which takes SR-25 or LMT 7.62 NATO full auto abuse without failing.

If anything, I would expect to see bolt failure eventually on a CLGS suppressed set-up, but I’m using a Bootleg adjustable gas carrier fully-choked, trued receiver face, bedded barrel, stiffer action springs, and .30 Cal suppressor for more flow out the front, less back pressure.

10.25” CLGS Mk.18s were experiencing early bolt failures, followed by suppressed 14.5” CLGS M4A1s. Back pressure and faster cyclic rate causes torsional loadings on the bolt lugs during early extraction, which is hard on bolts.

LMT fixed this problem with the Enhanced BCG, but big Army rejected it and prevented SOCOM from adopting it because it might end up in 20” M16A2s/A4s, where it would short-stroke malf.

I dug through the Grendel forum but couldn’t find much other than the creator’s thread documenting his manufacturing hurdles and a bunch of guys saying “count me in for 1.”
Good job summarizing 70% of the threads on 65Grendel.

6.5 Grendel bolts I have been using since 2009:

* AA Bolt that came with the 16” barrel/bolt combo (thousands of rounds fired through this)
* Maxim bolt (completed by Precision Firearms) in my 17.6” MLGS Lilja (thousands of rounds more than the 16”)
* AA Hard use bolt x many used in builds for others (these were a different aerospace-grade alloy with a relieved and sand-cut bolt lug opposite side of the extractor, had a smooth metallic grey sheen to them)
* Monster Logo Grendel bolts from the same source as the Ultrabolts with thousands of rounds put through 2x12” Grendels shot suppressed since 2017
* LaRue Stealth 2.0 complete rifle with whatever bolt LaRue uses
* Precision Firearms complete uppers with Maxim bolts
* A bunch of others I’m not recalling

I have also seen a lot of people come through DM Course and events where we shoot 2-3 days, all day with AR-15s in 6.5 Grendel at distance. These events usually involve 250-300 rounds fired per rifle.

Have also done some CQM with 12.5” Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Grendel suppressed during carbine courses, but not the entire course. We did a comparison between 6.5 Grendel and 5.56 with close range drills to measure cone of error on rapid strings from the increased recoil.

My buddy who owns the 12.5” Grendel says he has broken a bunch of extractors, which was weird because I’ve never broken one. Upon further inquiry, I learned he had bought literally cases upon cases of PPU 120gr he was burning through. Turns out they were all under the recalled lots, so I don’t know if that was a factor in his extractors breaking repeatedly.

I have shot a healthy mix of factory ammo and hand loads. Most of my factory ammo has been Hornady, followed by Federal and PPU.

I personally have not broken or seen firsthand any broken Grendel bolts, but I have seen them posted online occasionally. I have personally broken 5.56 bolts on abuser blasters running 300-500rds per day training for 3-Gun or CQM. I broke my first 5.56 bolt after over 10,000 rounds through a 16” CLGS J&T upper. Dropped in a new bolt, changed my action spring, kept shooting.

I did finally break something on my 12” Grendel though last class with it. My GRSC 1-4x scope. Reticle started canting and canting. Pulled it and replaced with the Norden Performance 1-6x24 made by LOW in Japan, which takes SR-25 or LMT 7.62 NATO full auto abuse without failing.

If anything, I would expect to see bolt failure eventually on a CLGS suppressed set-up, but I’m using a Bootleg adjustable gas carrier fully-choked, trued receiver face, bedded barrel, stiffer action springs, and .30 Cal suppressor for more flow out the front, less back pressure.

10.25” CLGS Mk.18s were experiencing early bolt failures, followed by suppressed 14.5” CLGS M4A1s. Back pressure and faster cyclic rate causes torsional loadings on the bolt lugs during early extraction, which is hard on bolts.

LMT fixed this problem with the Enhanced BCG, but big Army rejected it and prevented SOCOM from adopting it because it might end up in 20” M16A2s/A4s, where it would short-stroke malf.
Thanks for the breakdown. Out of curiosity, did you ever run into any headspace issues with any of the bolt/barrel combos that didn’t come headspaced as a set? I’ve read the best practices but was wondering given your sample size.

I know that @Constructor has some opinions on Grendel bolts…
Opinions LOL. The Maxim bolts made from 9310 are probably better than most, at least they are not Nitride/Melonite QPQ treated. I would go that route before buying a nitride treated Ultrabolt.
ETA- Bolt lugs are .100" thick but the web between the lugs is only around .040". That web if too brittle will break and then the lugs break. to keep it from breaking the center should be ductile but tough around 50 rockwell, the surface apx .015" deep should be 60 rockwell. Melonite QPQ will not harden to that depth so it is not a good option for a single heat treat. If the bolts are gas carburized per spec the hardness can be dialed in perfectly. They check the case depth by cutting a bolt in half. If the bolts are Nitrided after being gas carburized the 2nd heat treat will soften the case hard previously done by gas carburizing. It doesn't completely anneal the material but it does soften it and over time the lugs will compress. Someone here or on M4carbine posted photos of some compressed lugs in the last few months.
The UB appears to use the extractors from Black Rifle Arms in New Smyrna Beach Fla. https://www.blackriflearms.com/BOLT-ASSEMBLIES-PARTS_c_12.html The UB also looks to have the same exact dimensions as mil spec bolts except for the .136" deep and .448" dia recess so I don't know how they can claim to be the strongest made. Doubtful they are 9310 Vac Arc at the price point he is selling them for since that material has doubled in price since I stopped using it. It cost $1284 per 12ft stick buying a dozen sticks at a time which is enough to make 576 bolts but we round off to 500 for waste. Normal 9310 cold rolled annealed is more inline with his price.
I stopped machining the 750XD and Titan bolts around 2015, left to right 5.56, 6.8, Titan (243 and 264 LBC), 750XD, 800 series. The 750XD and 800 were made for wildcats using a 308 diameter case in the AR15.
IMG_0370 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Opinions LOL. The Maxim bolts made from 9310 are probably better than most, at least they are not Nitride/Melonite QPQ treated. I would go that route before buying a nitride treated Ultrabolt.
ETA- Bolt lugs are .100" thick but the web between the lugs is only around .040". That web if too brittle will break and then the lugs break. to keep it from breaking the center should be ductile but tough around 50 rockwell, the surface apx .015" deep should be 60 rockwell. Melonite QPQ will not harden to that depth so it is not a good option for a single heat treat. If the bolts are gas carburized per spec the hardness can be dialed in perfectly. They check the case depth by cutting a bolt in half. If the bolts are Nitrided after being gas carburized the 2nd heat treat will soften the case hard previously done by gas carburizing. It doesn't completely anneal the material but it does soften it and over time the lugs will compress. Someone here or on M4carbine posted photos of some compressed lugs in the last few months.
The UB appears to use the extractors from Black Rifle Arms in New Smyrna Beach Fla. https://www.blackriflearms.com/BOLT-ASSEMBLIES-PARTS_c_12.html The UB also looks to have the same exact dimensions as mil spec bolts except for the .136" deep and .448" dia recess so I don't know how they can claim to be the strongest made. Doubtful they are 9310 Vac Arc at the price point he is selling them for since that material has doubled in price since I stopped using it. It cost $1284 per 12ft stick buying a dozen sticks at a time which is enough to make 576 bolts but we round off to 500 for waste. Normal 9310 cold rolled annealed is more inline with his price.
I stopped machining the 750XD and Titan bolts around 2015, left to right 5.56, 6.8, Titan (243 and 264 LBC), 750XD, 800 series. The 750XD and 800 were made for wildcats using a 308 diameter case in the AR15.
View attachment 8066196
Well that’s good enough for me. Maxim bolt it is!

I might have to make this trusting strangers on the internet a regular thing if they all provide the same level of detail as your reply. Joking aside, thank you!

Thanks for the breakdown. Out of curiosity, did you ever run into any headspace issues with any of the bolt/barrel combos that didn’t come headspaced as a set? I’ve read the best practices but was wondering given your sample size.
I have never had headspace issues. I’ve only used .136” face depth bolts with the same lug lengths, with barrels from manufacturers that cut chambers for the standard. I test my chambers with a set of dummy cartridges I made, with 4 different bullet types. If the cartridges don’t chamber and unseat with ease, I don’t use a barrel until it can be corrected or replaced. I do that with 5.56/.224 Wylde as well. I eliminate the likelihood of that by ordering from known barrel manufacturers and not rolling the dice with the lower price points or unproven brands.

I have moving boxes full of Lapua and Hornady brass (not even counting Federal and PPU), much of it with multiple firings, so I know my round counts are quite voluminous.

I don’t chase pressure though when hand-loading and reloading, outside of doing my initial ladder tests to see where the trend line and excursion is.

Bill Alexander engineered the Grendel bolts very well, based on decades of experience from the UK MoD, the work on .50 Beowulf, and then all the fleet sample size testing he did. He was used to dealing more with Canadian-built M16/AR-15 variants for the UK MoD, and the Canadians use a different set of processes for their bolt manufacturing that is demonstrably-superior to how they were made for US DoD. Biggest problem with the US TDP is the requirement for High Pressure Test (HPT) on every bolt, where failure nodes are introduced in the bolts with the HPT loads.

I had a discussion with Colt Canada’s engineers about this several years ago, and they said they don’t do that because it’s stupid. KAC said the same thing. US Army demanded that KAC do HPT on M110 bolts, so you would see SR-25s run hard, suppressed for decades with no bolt failures, then see M110s breaking bolts quite regularly. KAC strongly recommended against it, but big Army insisted. The units who have been using SR-25s from the start made sure they kept getting SR-25s and not M110s.

Some of the initial after-market attempts to make Grendel bolts were very weak, and experienced regular failures. Model 1 Sales comes to mind. I haven’t seen anything from them in ages though.

Another thing about my shoot schedule is that I shoot a lot during the winter months, so we take rifles from sub-freezing ambient temperatures up to whatever they reach shooting throughout the day, with an up-and-down temp gradient that is much harder on guns than temperate weather shooting.

Those are the hardest aspects of the Mil-Std compliance, and what really drives a lot of the metallurgy and processes for Military type classification/standardization. US Army used to test up at Fort Greeley in Alaska for that. USAF uses a climatic chamber for aerospace systems down at Eglin AFB, Florida, that they can set the temps and conditions to whatever they want and not have to wait for weather.

An interesting development is that there’s a new Low Plasticity Burnishing process that doubles bolt life, tested by ARDEC (now called RDECOM).

Army got tired of replacing bolts, which started to show up in the budget once regular units started shooting more high volume CQM range sessions. There’s an interesting paper on it: Low Plasticity Burnishing for Fatigue Life Extension of the M4A1 Carbine Bolt

Live Fire Testing
– Single Weapon Test (M855)
• LPB Bolt ~ 26,000 rds fired before failure
• Standard Bolt ~ 13,000 rds fired before failure
– Multiple Weapon Test: Ongoing (ATC)
• 6 LPB treated bolts
• 6 standard bolts

There have been a lot of 10.3” guns that broke bolts at 4,000rds, since they’re almost exclusively run suppressed without any back pressure mitigation. 14.5” M4A1s with the KAC NT4 were also notorious for running the cyclic rate too high and shearing bolt lugs off.

Anytime I have broken or seen others break a 5.56 bolt, we just replaced it and kept shooting. I’ve been shooting 5.56 since 1987, and 6.5 Grendel since 2009. This year (2023) marks the 20th year of 6.5 Grendel history.

I have never had headspace issues. I’ve only used .136” face depth bolts with the same lug lengths, with barrels from manufacturers that cut chambers for the standard. I test my chambers with a set of dummy cartridges I made, with 4 different bullet types. If the cartridges don’t chamber and unseat with ease, I don’t use a barrel until it can be corrected or replaced. I do that with 5.56/.224 Wylde as well. I eliminate the likelihood of that by ordering from known barrel manufacturers and not rolling the dice with the lower price points or unproven brands.

I have moving boxes full of Lapua and Hornady brass (not even counting Federal and PPU), much of it with multiple firings, so I know my round counts are quite voluminous.

I don’t chase pressure though when hand-loading and reloading, outside of doing my initial ladder tests to see where the trend line and excursion is.

Bill Alexander engineered the Grendel bolts very well, based on decades of experience from the UK MoD, the work on .50 Beowulf, and then all the fleet sample size testing he did. He was used to dealing more with Canadian-built M16/AR-15 variants for the UK MoD, and the Canadians use a different set of processes for their bolt manufacturing that is demonstrably-superior to how they were made for US DoD. Biggest problem with the US TDP is the requirement for High Pressure Test (HPT) on every bolt, where failure nodes are introduced in the bolts with the HPT loads.

I had a discussion with Colt Canada’s engineers about this several years ago, and they said they don’t do that because it’s stupid. KAC said the same thing. US Army demanded that KAC do HPT on M110 bolts, so you would see SR-25s run hard, suppressed for decades with no bolt failures, then see M110s breaking bolts quite regularly. KAC strongly recommended against it, but big Army insisted. The units who have been using SR-25s from the start made sure they kept getting SR-25s and not M110s.

Some of the initial after-market attempts to make Grendel bolts were very weak, and experienced regular failures. Model 1 Sales comes to mind. I haven’t seen anything from them in ages though.

Another thing about my shoot schedule is that I shoot a lot during the winter months, so we take rifles from sub-freezing ambient temperatures up to whatever they reach shooting throughout the day, with an up-and-down temp gradient that is much harder on guns than temperate weather shooting.

Those are the hardest aspects of the Mil-Std compliance, and what really drives a lot of the metallurgy and processes for Military type classification/standardization. US Army used to test up at Fort Greeley in Alaska for that. USAF uses a climatic chamber for aerospace systems down at Eglin AFB, Florida, that they can set the temps and conditions to whatever they want and not have to wait for weather.

An interesting development is that there’s a new Low Plasticity Burnishing process that doubles bolt life, tested by ARDEC (now called RDECOM).

Army got tired of replacing bolts, which started to show up in the budget once regular units started shooting more high volume CQM range sessions. There’s an interesting paper on it: Low Plasticity Burnishing for Fatigue Life Extension of the M4A1 Carbine Bolt

Live Fire Testing
– Single Weapon Test (M855)
• LPB Bolt ~ 26,000 rds fired before failure
• Standard Bolt ~ 13,000 rds fired before failure
– Multiple Weapon Test: Ongoing (ATC)
• 6 LPB treated bolts
• 6 standard bolts

There have been a lot of 10.3” guns that broke bolts at 4,000rds, since they’re almost exclusively run suppressed without any back pressure mitigation. 14.5” M4A1s with the KAC NT4 were also notorious for running the cyclic rate too high and shearing bolt lugs off.

Anytime I have broken or seen others break a 5.56 bolt, we just replaced it and kept shooting. I’ve been shooting 5.56 since 1987, and 6.5 Grendel since 2009. This year (2023) marks the 20th year of 6.5 Grendel history.
...that was an interesting paper. Question: which manufacturer/marketer is offering those LPB bolts to the general public and at what cost?

Reactions: JS8588
Speculation aside, the UltraBolt is made from 9310 VAR, properly black nitrided by those who have the specs dialed in. I understand that some don't see how this is possible; it's not my job, however, to provide proprietary processes to trolls.

The UltraBolt extractor is a proprietary design and is made only for the UltraBolt and no one else.

I don't disparage quality products; Frank makes a fine bolt and he's a good dude, besides. But nobody makes a 6.5 Grendel/6mmARC bolt stronger than the UltraBolt for $69.95.

Speculation aside, the UltraBolt is made from 9310 VAR, properly black nitrided by those who have the specs dialed in. I understand that some don't see how this is possible; it's not my job, however, to provide proprietary processes to trolls.

The UltraBolt extractor is a proprietary design and is made only for the UltraBolt and no one else.

I don't disparage quality products; Frank makes a fine bolt and he's a good dude, besides. But nobody makes a 6.5 Grendel/6mmARC bolt stronger than the UltraBolt for $69.95.
Thanks for the reply. I don’t care to boil the ocean over a $70 bolt, however, I still have to decide where so spend my dollars and I chose to go with a product that’s used by a handful of reputable manufacturers/smiths.

End of the day I couldn’t find a lot of information on the Ultrabolt. The web description of the Ultrabolt itself was confusing. Does it come with this proprietary extractor installed already or do you have to buy it separately? It doesn’t state that it comes installed and is listed as a separate product. The 65G forum is all over the map on the extractor thing too.

If I break my Maxim bolt I’ll likely give the Ultrabolt a try. No need to get butt hurt over a thread on the internet and no one is disparaging anything. I asked for opinions and opinions are what I received, that doesn’t make them facts. I’m sure the designer of the Ultrabolt is a perfectly fine individual, none of this is personal and no one made any personal comments directed at him. If you want to provide your experience with his product or any insights you have into the quality of it do so (it’ll probably help sell more Ultrabolts and build it’s rep as a solid bolt) but don’t turn this into an ego battle.

AMwood: Nothing I posted was directed at you. It was directed at the deliberately false information and Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt promulgated by a former competitor in post #8. All good!

• Haha
Reactions: Constructor
"SixFive-0" above is John Hanka, owner of Six-five Outfitters and the Grendel forum, producer of the Ultrabolt.
What I can't figure out is LRRPF52 is his buddy who spent years, like 6-8 telling me how Bill Alexander told him hydrogen embrittlement due to Nitride /Melonite was a bad thing. Now they are using it on bolts, the most critical part. There are several threads on arfcom in the archives somewhere around 2010 where LRRPF52 and I argue about melonite treatment of any part I even posted photos of the smashed extensions.

I never used it on bolts but back when everyone started Melonite treating barrels the extensions were being melonite treated. I had to remove them, clean and retorque to get the torque value up to spec. During that time I noticed the extensions were soft so when LRRPF52 said they were too hard and too brittle I took a silver extension(the ones everyone thinks is stainless but isn't) and hit it with a 4lb sledge, it shattered into 10-12 pieces. Then I took a Nitride treated barrel extension and hit it with a 4 lb sledge and it folded up flat only splitting at the side where it bent 180 degrees. That is a quick common sense way to see which is harder and which is softer. Later when I had time I sent the to the lab where our bolts were checked for hardness and case depth which told me the same thing. At that point I stopped letting H&M metals (who told me Melonite would not harm the extensions or cause them to loosen on a barrel) treat the extensions.
A little later a customer was pushing his loads pretty hard, he called and said his headspace had increased and sent the barrel in. He was correct the lugs on the barrel extension had compressed almost .010" further proving Melonite/Nitride treatment softens an already case hard part.
I'll try to find the thread where the guy posted a photo in the last few months clearly showing bolts lugs compressed, it had to be here or on M4C.
Since 2009 I have used Melonite/Black Nitride on muzzle devices, carriers, barrels and gas blocks, none of which take a heavy shock, it's fine for those parts. I would never use that type of treatment on barrel extensions or bolts that take a heavy shock. In an 8 year period we machined in house apx 80,000 bolts, all were gas carburized per military spec. I'm not saying Nitride treated bolts are like butter but put them under enough pressure for a long enough time and they will compress in my experience.

"SixFive-0" above is John Hanka, owner of Six-five Outfitters and the Grendel forum, producer of the Ultrabolt.
What I can't figure out is LRRPF52 is his buddy who spent years, like 6-8 telling me how Bill Alexander told him hydrogen embrittlement due to Nitride /Melonite was a bad thing. Now they are using it on bolts, the most critical part. There are several threads on arfcom in the archives somewhere around 2010 where LRRPF52 and I argue about melonite treatment of any part I even posted photos of the smashed extensions.

I never used it on bolts but back when everyone started Melonite treating barrels the extensions were being melonite treated. I had to remove them, clean and retorque to get the torque value up to spec. During that time I noticed the extensions were soft so when LRRPF52 said they were too hard and too brittle I took a silver extension(the ones everyone thinks is stainless but isn't) and hit it with a 4lb sledge, it shattered into 10-12 pieces. Then I took a Nitride treated barrel extension and hit it with a 4 lb sledge and it folded up flat only splitting at the side where it bent 180 degrees. That is a quick common sense way to see which is harder and which is softer. Later when I had time I sent the to the lab where our bolts were checked for hardness and case depth which told me the same thing. At that point I stopped letting H&M metals (who told me Melonite would not harm the extensions or cause them to loosen on a barrel) treat the extensions.
A little later a customer was pushing his loads pretty hard, he called and said his headspace had increased and sent the barrel in. He was correct the lugs on the barrel extension had compressed almost .010" further proving Melonite/Nitride treatment softens an already case hard part.
I'll try to find the thread where the guy posted a photo in the last few months clearly showing bolts lugs compressed, it had to be here or on M4C.
Since 2009 I have used Melonite/Black Nitride on muzzle devices, carriers, barrels and gas blocks, none of which take a heavy shock, it's fine for those parts. I would never use that type of treatment on barrel extensions or bolts that take a heavy shock. In an 8 year period we machined in house apx 80,000 bolts, all were gas carburized per military spec. I'm not saying Nitride treated bolts are like butter but put them under enough pressure for a long enough time and they will compress in my experience.

Hydrogen embrittlement from hard chroming of the early Colt 601 and 602 bolts was identified by the US Army and USAF in the early 1960s as the culprit for bolt fatigue cracks, mainly at the cam pin hole, in high volume testing they did jointly. There’s an old paper on it detailing their round counts, rifle #s in the testing, and results. This is what led to the Army and USAF dropping the hard chromed bolt specification from the early TDP when they moved forward with the remainder of Colt 602 production.

You are conflating 2 different things with hydrogen embrittlement and the spherical surface nature of NiB. Bill Alexander only said that if you use NiB on bolts, it makes sense to also use it for extensions too when mating the components to use with each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: generalzip
Hydrogen embrittlement from hard chroming of the early Colt 601 and 602 bolts was identified by the US Arm and USAF in the early 1960s as the culprit for bolt fatigue cracks, mainly at the cam pin hole, in high volume testing they did jointly. There’s an old paper on it detailing their round counts, rifle #s in the testing, and results. This is what led to the Army and USAF dropping the hard chromed bolt specification from the early TDP when they moved forward with the remainder of Colt 602 production.

You are conflating 2 different things with hydrogen embrittlement and the spherical surface nature of NiB. Bill Alexander only said that if you use NiB on bolts, it makes sense to also use it for extensions too when mating the components to use with each other.
That has nothing to do with the argument we had over a several year period on arfcom. Remember posting a photo of a chip on a melonite treated barrel extension you purchased from me about the size of a pin head as proof melonite was not good for an extension? I'll see if I can find it in the archives over there.