• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

skinny on FN TSR XP .308

Re: skinny on FN TSR XP .308

I have the Win. 70 Stealth (same action, different clothing) and its been great, nice machining. Not much bad to say about them, though I am of the minority favoring a floorplate magazine system.

Great rifles, good luck!

Sounds good! Thanks.

Somebody has to have one of these?

I have an FN SPR A3g. I love that rifle. Been looking at the TSR in 300WSM as a hunting rifle. So bump and a tag so I can follow this thread.

I also don't like detachable mags.

Regards,
Greyson

I had a TSR in .308 for some time and really liked it. The rifle was accurate, reliable and I had no issues with the mag other than the 4rd capacity which was no big deal. We did discover that the factory rail needs to be properly loctited in order to stay put. Apparently FN used no thread locker and the screws will come loose. A friend also has one and he is in the process of modifying a 10rd mag of some sort. I really like the Houge stock though I see most others don't. Its warm in the winter and not too hot in the summer......
I considered threading my barrel for a suppressor but the fluting interferes. FN offered a 20" unfluted barrel which is what we ordered but decided they weren't going to build them. We ended up with the fluted barrels just as they decided to do the unfluted version. Not much love or respect for FN here but the rifles are good.

Just my opinions.

Frank

Ok, like what I'm hearing. The 4 round capacity isn't a huge deal, just concerned about reliability. I would like to find the 18" barreled one as advertised, but don't see it anywhere.

Welcome any more info!

I have a FN PBR-XP (claw extractor) and it is a fine rifle. Never a minute of trouble.
Shoots sub MOA. Factory box mag was not very durable. Changes to the CDI bottom metal and now use 5rd ACIS mags.
Manners and McMillan will make you a stock.
If I find a deal on another I will not pass it up.

They had this rifle in the Dicks Sporting Goods catalog (in store) for around $975. They're pretty good with Mil/LE discounts as well for a potential great price. I'm very intrigued by it, but just can't bring myself to drop that kind of cash right now. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a FN PBR-XP (claw extractor) and it is a fine rifle. Never a minute of trouble.
Shoots sub MOA. Factory box mag was not very durable. Changes to the CDI bottom metal and now use 5rd ACIS mags.
Manners and McMillan will make you a stock.
If I find a deal on another I will not pass it up. </div></div>

What was happening with the magazines?

I have the FN TSR XP USA in .223. As an entry level rifle, it is a great choice. Guaranteed 1" moa, I normally shoot .75" and under, with a best of .54". Philip.

I own the FN TSR XP .308 with the 20" barrel and it consitantly shoots .75 moa or better. I chose this rifle because it only weighs 9 lb.s and it very close to being as accurate as much more expensive rifles. I am also partial to the M70 action and have had zero issues with it and the magazine. The Houge stock is not that bad and with a Karsten Cheek rest installed is more than adequate. Anyone thinking of buying the rifle only to swap out the stock may as well buy an SPR. If the TSR XP had a chrome lined barrel like the SPR it would be perfect in my opinion.
smile.gif

Does anyone know for sure whether FN SPR barrel has the same thread as PBR/TSR? I would assume so, but want to make sure before I buy a spare barrel across the "lineage" line between the two version

Thanks

I considered one of these a couple of years ago. The M70 action is second to none. The key reason I didn't jump was the lack of support in aftermarket upgrade options. Perhaps that has changed?

No they do not share the same barrel: The SPR comes with a heavier profile chrome lined barrel, and the PBR (I own one) comes with a medium profile non-chromed lined barrel. I get sub-moa to moa groups (using FGMM 168 SMK Match ammo) with my PBR and I have done nothing more than adjust the trigger pull to 3.0lbs. Hope this helps.

I have the TSR XP .308 20 light fluted. I had the end threaded for the AAC QR muzzle break 51T. The 1st day I took it out past 100 yds to get my dopes, I ended up at 500 yds and took out 6 - 16 oz. water bottles with 10 shots, in light misty rain and a 4 - 7 MPH cross wind. During the day I ran Federal Gold Sierra Match King 168 gr. HPBT, Fiocchi 175 gr. Match HP, Hornady Steel match 155 gr HP and Prvi Partizan Match 168 gr. HPBT. The Prvi was the most consistent hands down. I know many will disagree, but this was my experience.

Anyway, this is a highly accurate and consistent rifle. I just put on the AAC 762 SD suppressor. Combined with Cor-Bon 185gr Performance Match FMJ-RBT Subsonic and I shoot this .308 without ear protection. It literally sounds like a rubber band snap against a wood table

Wow, old thread! They work well by the way, have one stock and one at GAP-hope to get it back soon, will be a FN version of the Rock rifle and a Manners TA stock, standard floorplate.

I considered one of these a couple of years ago. The M70 action is second to none. The key reason I didn't jump was the lack of support in aftermarket upgrade options. Perhaps that has changed?

What are you wanting to do? I shoot and spr and have had no trouble doing what I want. Had bottom metal changed, so could go with ai mags. Can't beat the trigger comes with. Barrels are the same as anything else.

The SPR and the PBR/TSR XP models share the same pre-64 action, where the regular PBR has the post-64 action.

It would be more accurate to say that the SPR and the PBR/TSR XP models utilize the post-64 CRF (or "Classic") action, whereas the now defunct PBR model used the post-64 push-feed action. Pre-64 actions were made, of course, prior to 1964 and are not the same actions as the post-64 Classic action.

To the OP: I have a PBR XP in 308, as well as SPR's. The PBR has been a good shooter right out of the box (easily under MOA with factory loads) and would do well as a steel whacker at distance or as a target shooting rifle.

As far as hunting goes, it depends on what kind of hunting you have in mind. If you're just shooting from a stand, it'd be fine, but for a field rifle that you'd be carrying a lot, it weighs more than what I would prefer. Same goes for the Remington LTR. IMO, if you want a precision rifle, get a precision rifle. If you want a hunting rifle, get a hunting rifle. Expecting one rifle to do both results in having to accept too many compromises.

ETA: I just noticed that this is an old thread!