• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Smith Corona 03A3 Help

NighthawkCG

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2017
Have an old Smith Corona that some years ago I looked into pretty hard. At the time, based on all the markings I determined it to be all original. Stupidly, I did not save where I found that information to make that determination and have no idea where I got that info (it was online somewhere). Can someone please point me to a reference (print or online) that would help me determine if it is all original? Would be great to have comparison photos. Also - anywhere to get gauges for it?

The rifle shoots great. I used to shoot it a lot more, but when I figured it was actually all original, it kind of became a safe queen.

Neat fact: The stock has some wear marks on it which unfortunately really effects the stamps on the left side of the rifle. At first I was a bit disappointed in this fact, but then realized that this rifle seems to have been carried (a lot) by a lefty! Being ambidextrous in some ways myself, I found myself picking it up one day and my hand/trigger finger knuckles went naturally where the the wear was on the wood. There seems to be some VERY faint remnants of a stamp there, but maybe thats just me. I'm not even sure what SHOULD be there.

What I do know:
- Produced Nov of 1943
- x on the bolt handle
- Right stock with stamps on the bottom.
- G on bolt sleeve
- Correct bottom metal
- Correct cocking knob

What i don't know:
- Original extractor? This one looks a bit off color maybe...
- Other marks to look for

Thanks for the help.

IMG_3356.JPGIMG_3363.JPGIMG_3365.JPGIMG_3364.JPGIMG_3368.JPG

It your stock is a “type 10” which is correct. Doesn’t seem to be wartime replacement. Does it have any “OG” markings on the stock?

if my memory serves me right, the markings should be “FHA” among the crossed cannons cartouche.

The extractor can be identified by removing it and checking for a “R” by the claw. If no marking it’s probably SC. Head over to the CMP Forum and look up John Beard, he is a wealth of knowledge on 1903 and A3’s. The stock looks correct but a picture of the barrel band retaining spring will help ID that. SC stocks had a circle other than the square cut like Remingtons.

OG markings???

I have the .5" "P" stamp behind the trigger and the symbols in front of the bottom metal, a small "18" stamped in the wood behind the middle swivel. There is some marking on the very end with a 2 and maybe something else in front of it.

Not sure if anything was in the worn area...

Radiused cut in the stock by the retaining spring. No mark on the extractor.

It’s a SC stock and likely a SC extractor. The color of the extractor is something I am trying to remember. John Beard would tell you everything about your rifle. I believe he spent time at the CMP rebuilding rifles when the 1903 was available, don’t quote me on it.

Reactions: NighthawkCG