• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SMK 77 Data for AR-15

Billl223

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2002
Worcester PA
I've shot 3-Gun for years and am going to try local PRS type matches to 700 yards. I have a 20" Krieger 7.7 twist barrel. I have Varget, RL-15, and Benchmark and Winchester and CCI BR4 primers. Need to load to 2.260 max mag length. I would appreciate suggestions.

^ what he said.

I run 23.6gr of 8208 under a 77gr SMK with a Rem 7.5 SRP at 2.245" OAL in an 18" DD upper and it's a 3/4 MOA combo so long as I use the same headstamp of brass. Gets closer to the .6s when I anneal the range pick up LC brass before FL resizing.

For 3 gun I don't mess with that step, but for PRS I'd buy 300 pieces of new brass and treat them like I do bolt gun brass. Mark them with a Sharpie and collect after each stage.

Reactions: camocorvette
Heh, the OP names 3 powders and the first two replies mention a different powder. :)

Lots of proven SMK 77 loads for 20" AR-15s (this is probably 90% of all highpower).

24.0 gr of either R15 or Varget will do it in LC brass. Pick a primer. Load it to 2.255 or 2.260 and shoot it.

Most highpower shooters single load longer-than-mag-length 80-82 gr bullets for the 600 yard stage, but the 77 SMK will get there and do fine.

23.5-24.0 of Varget will do the trick. I’d try the CCI’s. If SD’s and accuracy are spotty, load a ladder with the WSR’s.

Benchmark might be a little too quick for the 77s I think. I'd try the varget first

Out of my 18" barrelled AR with 24gr Varget and cci200's I'm seeing 5.2 mills to 600yards which should put me running them at around 2600fps. Very accurate. 1/7twist

I run both varget and rl15 with 77s, standard and cannilure. 24 is a good load if you want to keep your brass healthy. I run both up to 24.5 in Wylde chambers. If you're gonna go over 24.0 work up and know you may lose brass to pressure.

Heh, the OP names 3 powders and the first two replies mention a different powder. :)

Lots of proven SMK 77 loads for 20" AR-15s (this is probably 90% of all highpower).

24.0 gr of either R15 or Varget will do it in LC brass. Pick a primer. Load it to 2.255 or 2.260 and shoot it.

Most highpower shooters single load longer-than-mag-length 80-82 gr bullets for the 600 yard stage, but the 77 SMK will get there and do fine.

Yep I suck.

Sorry OP.

Didn't make the connection you already had these powders, thought they were your considerations and my idea was 8208 would be one you should try.

8208 is like mini cut Varget that runs nice in my Dillon. Accurate also in 16 inch 1/7.

With the cost and time of preparing for and attending a shoot why would you limit your powder selection to what you have on hand?
The Mk 262 load is regarded very highly. It is most closely matched by 24.0-24.4 grains Ramshot Tac, 77 SMK seated to mag length, case and primer of your choice. Taper crimp will lower SD's.
BH loads a commercial version as well as the Crane load and both are good if you can find them.
My TAC load is slightly slower than the Crane Mk 262 in 18" barreled AR's. It is also slightly more accurate at 600 M.
My experience with 20" Krieger's is that velocity will be 75-125 FPS slower than 18" Douglass and also not as accurate. I only tried two of them. That was enough for me. I have set up and used 12-15 Douglass contract barrels so have a good handle on both accuracy and velocity. YMMV

+ 1 for tac and 77 cc or 77smk. Super easy to load and accurate out of my 5.56 chambered 20 in .I am over max but no pressure.Work up for your self.