• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sniper Distances in the movie "Shooter"

SLO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
Portland, OR
Any guesses as the the distances in the major sniper scenes in Shooter (apart from the obvious ones they discussed)?

Re: Sniper Distances in the movie "Shooter"

I've seen that movie several times and thought the same thing. Your question just made me want to find out. I referred to google earth. I found that the tower Swagger scouted is actually not at the same angle as where the shot took place. The church tower is to the NW not NE like where the photo below shows. There isn't a church or any tower to the NE at this relative distance, so it leaves me to believe the "tower" is a building roof.

I searched and found that the scene was at Independence Hall.
Screenshot2012-06-27at124935PM.png

On google earth I tried to find a similar view. I looked at sight angle and similar buildings. Google earth does not show a tower
Screenshot2012-06-27at125028PM.png

I used their distance tool to find the building with similar view is roughly 600yards from the target
Screenshot2012-06-27at125132PM.png

...If this is true, it's not quite the "+1800yds" they talked about. I feel like a big nerd now.

Seriously, nice work tho! What about the first scene when his partner gets killed and the end in the mountains (snow)

I think the current record is 2707yrds with a 338LM so 1800yrds (just over a mile) is well within reach of many people not just "a few people in the world" as the movie suggests.

That dinty moore can sure looks to be a mile in the Mil dot scope though. I think he is shooting the poster they hung up on the side of the factory.

Have you noticed in the first scene when his partner gets killed, the blanks can't cycle the M82. he has to rack every shot.

Its fucking scary the kind of reco you can do on the internet....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fenwick253</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you noticed in the first scene when his partner gets killed, the blanks can't cycle the M82. he has to rack every shot. </div></div>

I doubt they tapped the barrel for a BFA.

i read the book the movie was based on years and years ago, read it in bout 2 days. when i put it down i thought to myself "somebody should make a movie outta this. book is called point of impact by stephen hunter out back in 93.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the tone of the movie was left wing liberal. </div></div>

Mark Whalberg is anti-gun so...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mark Whalberg is anti-gun so... </div></div>
Seriously? You wouldn't know it from his movies. Talk about selling out...errr...ditching your beliefs for a paycheck!

Dude, Swagger was getting head shots back to back at 900 yards on moving vehicles and shot the prop out of a moving chopper in the first scene of that movie. After that I knew everything else was going to be realistic. Hes just that good.

Even better is how he jams the muzzle of his rifle in the dirt when he is planting his pop bottle bombs around the house! Thats how a "real" shooter cares for his weapon!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mark Whalberg is anti-gun so... </div></div>
Seriously? You wouldn't know it from his movies. Talk about selling out...errr...ditching your beliefs for a paycheck! </div></div>

I know, and there's a ton of them that you would never think (Matt Damon/Kevin Bacon/etc..) here the skinny:

The ex-leader of the Funky Bunch, Marky Mark had some pretty strong words for Charlton Heston. At the 2000 MTV Movie Awards, Wahlberg suggested on stage that the “Best Villain” award be given to Heston: <span style="color: #FF0000">“I believe Charlton Heston is America’s best villain because he loves guns so much. Maybe he should get the award for being president of the National Rifle Association.”</span> But his anti-gun attitude didn’t stop there. <span style="color: #FF0000">“Well, I would love it if they could take all the guns away.</span> Unfortunately, you can’t do that so you hope that good people in the world have them to protect the people who can’t protect themselves,” he said in an April 26, 2007, edition of the Herald Sun. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">“Certainly, I haven’t used a gun anywhere other than on a movie set and I’d like to see if we could take them all away. It would be a beautiful thing.</span></span>”

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/02/24/8-surprising-anti-gun-celebrities/#ixzz1zBRt86gd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fenwick253</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you noticed in the first scene when his partner gets killed, the blanks can't cycle the M82. he has to rack every shot. </div></div>

I doubt they tapped the barrel for a BFA. </div></div>

But...but...coriolis effect!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCARbliss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fenwick253</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you noticed in the first scene when his partner gets killed, the blanks can't cycle the M82. he has to rack every shot. </div></div>

But...but...coriolis effect!!! </div></div>

Actually they did and it cycles for a couple of rounds but the dust from the helicopter in subsequent takes bound the gun up so that is why they had to cycle it by hand.

You people and all your knolledge make me very nervous...... Lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCARbliss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fenwick253</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you noticed in the first scene when his partner gets killed, the blanks can't cycle the M82. he has to rack every shot. </div></div>

But...but...coriolis effect!!! </div></div>

Actually they did and it cycles for a couple of rounds but the dust from the helicopter in subsequent takes bound the gun up so that is why they had to cycle it by hand. </div></div>

Makes sense. Just figured no one put the thought into it much like the missing bolt in the R700 later in the farm shootout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mark Whalberg is anti-gun so... </div></div>
Seriously? You wouldn't know it from his movies. Talk about selling out...errr...ditching your beliefs for a paycheck! </div></div>

I know, and there's a ton of them that you would never think (Matt Damon/Kevin Bacon/etc..) here the skinny:

The ex-leader of the Funky Bunch, Marky Mark had some pretty strong words for Charlton Heston. At the 2000 MTV Movie Awards, Wahlberg suggested on stage that the “Best Villain” award be given to Heston: <span style="color: #FF0000">“I believe Charlton Heston is America’s best villain because he loves guns so much. Maybe he should get the award for being president of the National Rifle Association.”</span> But his anti-gun attitude didn’t stop there. <span style="color: #FF0000">“Well, I would love it if they could take all the guns away.</span> Unfortunately, you can’t do that so you hope that good people in the world have them to protect the people who can’t protect themselves,” he said in an April 26, 2007, edition of the Herald Sun. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">“Certainly, I haven’t used a gun anywhere other than on a movie set and I’d like to see if we could take them all away. It would be a beautiful thing.</span></span>”

Read more: 8 Surprising Anti-Gun Celebrities - Guns & Ammo

I Know this is an Older thread BUT he lied when he said he had'nt used guns before or Only on the Movie Set, Because before filming He went and Trained at Front Sight for Quite some time and the People Quoted That Mark W was ringing steel at 1K within a week of going there and he actually a pretty good shot I think it was for a month or so but dont hold me to that. But if you check the credits at the end of the movie you will see front silght listed

John

Last edited:
While watching the movie back when it first came out on DVD, I paused it when he was taking the shot at the can of stew and went to the kitchen and measured a similar can that I had on the shelf.
Did the math and milled the target at around 50 yards but don't remember the exact number.

While watching the movie back when it first came out on DVD, I paused it when he was taking the shot at the can of stew and went to the kitchen and measured a similar can that I had on the shelf.
Did the math and milled the target at around 50 yards but don't remember the exact number.

LOL!!! That sir is AWESOME!

I think that was a can of stew that was purchased at one of those super value club member stores like Sam's club. Hell it has to be 3 feet around and several high...

It was a decent movie for the entertainment value if you could look past all the B.S. (like you have to in every other movie made).

Even better was doing the math on the opening scene where he did the shots on the two guys in the moving vehicle.

This is just from memory from doing the math many years ago so don't castrate me for having a bad memory on the data.

Truck was moving approx. 40 mph at about a 45 deg. diagonal angle from the shoot position based on the hide sketch shown while the team was up on the bluff.
Converting the 45 deg. angle and mph to actual distance to the weapon per second to give closing rate says the truck is getting closer to the firing point at a rate of 15 yards per second.
At approx. 400 yards on the first shot and presuming the bullet is travelling an average speed of 2500 fps says the bullet takes a bit less than 1/2 second to travel the distance.
In that time the vehicle would travel about 6 to 7 yards.
Adding in a couple of yards for reaction time on the trigger means the vehicle would travel about 8 to 10 yards from the time the shooter squeezes the trigger till the bullet gets 400 yards down range.
The mil lead on that shot would actually be in the neighborhood of 25 mils, give or take 4 or 5 mils.

Also from memory, my rememberance is that he puts about 1.5 mil lead and squeeze the shot on the first target.
Between the first and second shots the vehicle would have changed yardage by maybe 50-75 yards even if he was real fast working the bolt and getting back on target, which means the shot on the second target would have been either high or low in addition to hitting way behind.
Can't remembe if the vehicke was coming or going.

Probably a good thing the numbers are bogus so that some goober trying to recreate the shot while running up a seriel killing score by taking pot shots at moving cars can't become an expert killer by watching the movie.

Last edited:
Even better was doing the math on the opening scene where he did the shots on the two guys in the moving vehicle.

This is just from memory from doing the math many years ago so don't castrate me for having a bad memory on the data.

Truck was moving approx. 40 mph at about a 45 deg. diagonal angle from the shoot position based on the hide sketch shown while the team was up on the bluff.
Converting the 45 deg. angle and mph to actual distance to the weapon per second to give closing rate says the truck is getting closer to the firing point at a rate of 15 yards per second.
At approx. 400 yards on the first shot and presuming the bullet is travelling an average speed of 2500 fps says the bullet takes a bit less than 1/2 second to travel the distance.
In that time the vehicle would travel about 6 to 7 yards.
Adding in a couple of yards for reaction time on the trigger means the vehicle would travel about 8 to 10 yards from the time the shooter squeezes the trigger till the bullet gets 400 yards down range.
The mil lead on that shot would actually be in the neighborhood of 25 mils, give or take 4 or 5 mils.

Also from memory, my rememberance is that he puts about 1.5 mil lead and squeeze the shot on the first target.
Between the first and second shots the vehicle would have changed yardage by maybe 50-75 yards even if he was real fast working the bolt and getting back on target, which means the shot on the second target would have been either high or low in addition to hitting way behind.
Can't remembe if the vehicke was coming or going.

Probably a good thing the numbers are bogus so that some goober trying to recreate the shot while running up a seriel killing score by taking pot shots at moving cars can't become an expert killer by watching the movie.

You Sir Have a Brilliant Mind, how you fart all those details just like that is beyond me, and he said as the unimog was driving away from them push 2 right 3 Mil Lead so you are right with your Numbers because 3 mils = 26.4 mils at 880,

Damn Your Good, incredable ????????

John

You Sir Have a Brilliant Mind, how you fart all those details just like that is beyond me, and he said as the unimog was driving away from them push 2 right 3 Mil Lead so you are right with your Numbers because 3 mils = 26.4 mils at 880,

Damn Your Good, incredable ????????

John

I think you're being facetious, but just in case you're not, 3 mils is 3 mils at 880. As well as 1103, and every other distance. If you are, carry on...

I think you're being facetious, but just in case you're not, 3 mils is 3 mils at 880. As well as 1103, and every other distance. If you are, carry on...

No I am Not, I dont treat People like that, Im just shit at Maths, Thanks for pointing that out.

Okie Gordon Said it was at 45deg so would that not half the value of the 3 mils plus it was moving at 40 mph?? and I was surprized how Well he went into detail as if it was just like Breathing He made it sound so Simple. So Yes I was Surprized at the way He just came out with all that.

You have been a member here for over 10 years, I never even knew about shooting forums until 6 months ago, I can Shoot better than most but not as good as Some, The High Tech Gizmo's I have learned about them Here But I have put 000s of hours in testing and learning about them, So I still have many years to go before I catch up with everyone else, and No I'm not A Kid Playing Airsoft.

john

Last edited:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mark Whalberg is anti-gun so... </div></div>
Seriously? You wouldn't know it from his movies. Talk about selling out...errr...ditching your beliefs for a paycheck!

Yeah, it's kinda like taking dick for money and then bashing gays. I'm really getting sick of these sellout types, they give people like us a bad name.

But you can figure out all those ranges if you know how tall everyone/thing is and/or have at least two points of reference with accurate measurement. Pause it, measure them, convert to scale, and then use simple trig to determine the sine and/or cosine and/or hypotenuse. That's saying there isn't any distortion caused by the optics they are using to film with.

Dude, Swagger was getting head shots back to back at 900 yards on moving vehicles and shot the prop out of a moving chopper in the first scene of that movie. After that I knew everything else was going to be realistic. Hes just that good.

LOL, yeah thats right Taught him everything he knows,lol

That head shot at the guy in the back of the Truck where they said it was 870 or 900yds was At 324yds,

And the one of the guy who got his Cover knock off behind the pickup was about a 1030yds.

Still it does all add to the build up and to their credit at leased they keep the dream??/

John

Last edited: