• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Movie Theater Sniper show on History channel now.

madAB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2011
SE PA
There is a show on history channel right now (eastern time). It's called Sniper:Bulletproof. So far it's pretty interesting.

Re: Sniper show on History channel now.

It looks like it's on several times tonight. I've got it on the DVR, hope it's better than that 'deadlist missions' show. Looked like they were going to discuss tactics so that might be cool.

Just like every other sniper show out there, made for ratings, not for shooters. I'm still wondering...if the guy demonstrating the barret shot the engine block...how come the C-4 on TOP of the cab's ROOF exploded? haha Come on History channel.

Is it the same one that was on a while back with the old Carlos Hathcock interviews

Nope, it's not the same one, but similar. So far I've only watched the 1st hour, and I plan to finish it up tonight. I thought it was interesting, but at the same time, you could tell the producers didn't know what they were doing.

Did anyone noticed in the demonstration of the guy on the roof in the Alaskan sniper shot, that the guy was using a cheap $40 Bushnell, and when it came time for him to dial in his shots he just turned the adjustment covers, like we were supposed to believe he was dialing in for his range.

I had to laugh at that, but other than that it's been a pretty good show.

I also wondered about the Barett shot when the C4 was left on the roof of the car, and it exploded. Also seemed to be a little faked, but fun to watch none the less.

All in all it was an alright show. like other mentioned, it is made for tv. It was still better than watching all of the other reality crap out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthompson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it the same one that was on a while back with the old Carlos Hathcock interviews </div></div>

That alone made it worthwhile for me. Some of the re-creations were kind of hoakey.

I caught it. Not bad. Better than all the previous sniper shows that have been on tv before. They actually briefly touched on mildot reticles and ranging with them in this one. Same format as most of the other shows though, in that they go over one specific shot with the person who took it, and then actors reenact it for the show.

The camera work was WAYY too much for me though. They used that jittery ADD style that morons love these days, and a couple time flashed about 4-8 different images within the course of less than a second for some kind of freak out effect or something. Kinda seizure inducing, lol.

People in a house together reality shit, Alaska, dancing....

Are snipers the next trend in TV shows? There were 2 differnt sniper shows on major cable channels just last night, History and National Geographic, and I've seen a few others over the last week or two.

PS- NO, it was NOT the same one with the Hathcock interviews, this was an entirely new show that debut last night.

List of things I noticed about the dramatizations:
1.the previously mentioned Alaskan State trooper that used the Bushnell was said to have used a custom Remington 700, instead they showed him using a Remington 710.

2.During scenes in Vietnam where it was stated the sniper was using a Winchester M70 with Unertl scope, they showed a sporter weight Remington 700 with a Redfield scope. Actually an improvement over the last special.

3.The SWAT sniper in Arizona was supposed to use a custom Winchester M70, instead they showed a Remington 700(not sure what model)

4.I can understand not being able to get an actual AI .338 for the British sniper but could they at least try to do better than a stock Remington Varmint rifle in an AICS chassis?

5.Just like the last special, they used a relatively accurate M40A1 but they used it for Marines stated to have used the A3.

Sadly some of these were improvements over the previous special where they had Carlos Hathcock using a Savage 110 with I believe a Simmons scope
cry.gif

Anybody notice anything I missed?

Oh and I forgot, They mentioned Hathcock's 2500 yard shot but didn't bother showing it or the .50 cal. he used and they showed a bunch of shots of guys working the charging handle on AR-10s(dramatic effect maybe?)
confused.gif

I liked the one where the guy fired the shot and nothing. Then fired a second shot and nothing. “Hey buddy you are shooting the wall” Got new position head shot.

Lol classic. I have shot stuff like that before back when I just started shooting.

Yes lots of wrong rifles compared to what they were saying.

I saw the beginning and echo a bunch of the comments above. I taped the rest and will probably watch tonite.

The 'reenactments' need to have a good consultant watching the moves and the tapes... and fixing some pretty bad errors.

Showing the Marines taking a long shot with their barrel resting on a sandbag... and someone 'adjusting' the dust cap on a Redfield as though dialing in elevation... FAIL.

Some interesting scenarios and interviews with some very accomplished people... And some great examples of how precision marksmanship can be employed on the battlefield and by SWAT.

But the documentary was spoiled by failing to correctly depict usage of gear and tactics.

Would seem like a good gig for an expert... fact-checking these sorts of things.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I noticed that Heidi was using a GAP rifle at TR.

Clint & Heidi have been using GAP Rifles for a while.. <span style="font-style: italic">(Since he saw the Gladius)</span> they have a Thunder Ranch Edition GAP you can purchase.

Entertaining and nice seeing Clint and Heidi on TV. Too bad the Ramadi SR-25 IED vehicle shot explanation was "hold two mils low" because of the angle of the shot and gravity. A little competent review on editing would of caught that, but as stated, its just made for tv stuff.

Finally watched the rest and was pretty non-plussed. I thought the segment where the police sniper trainee shot the pink can was contrived and pretty silly. That was not a shot that even a trainee should have had trouble with and I thought the whole thing was set up to add drama.

As several folks, myself included, have said... this production needs some factcheckers looking at the tapes.

Oh well... first thing I teach the kids in Hunter Safety every fall is 'if you see it on TV it's probably wrong.' So I shouldn't be too critical... it's entertainment.

Chees,

Sirhr