• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SnipersHide/SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 GroupBuy

Re: SnipersHide/SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 GroupBuy

Is it me, or does anyone else notice an uptick in the number of otherwise great used scopes on this board and 24hourcampfire?

I know I'm moving a few to make room for mine....

Darn!!!!! I was going to order one last night and totally forgot! Damn it...

Absolutely! In the last week or so I have see lots of great deals pop up. I think the pressure of the upcoming end of the deal has whipped guys into a frenzy of selling, trying to make extra cash before it ends.
I can't argue, the reviews from Lowlight and others have been outstanding.

I have sold quite a few toys in the last three weeks to pay for a GAP, as well as a couple scopes. So I am right there with you.

One thing is for sure, this site has definitely helped me spend a bunch of money. Thankfully It has also helped me find the good deals.

speaking of what this site has made you spend.
rifle=1200
scope=1000...saved 500
rings and base=200...saved 50 or more through finding out about promotive.com
rear bag/cheek rest=60
bolt knob on the way=65...saved i dunno
bipod from pheonix tactical=200

spent=2725=saved 550+

Hadn't even pulled the trigger yet and I'm sure you guys out there will get me for another 500. I got to much time on my hands deployed looking at all the crap I need (want really). Thanks for the info from the site and the savings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was my lucky day. I was going to pass on this deal because I've been out of work for awhile and I didn't want to spend any cash. I went to the desert for some shooting. When I got home I had a Job offer in my E mail and a voice mail wanting to schedule a meeting for an offer from another company. Both are good jobs. I got in under the wire and ordered one. This will be my fifth SWFA scope and I ordered it with no worries regarding quality or support. The SWFA SS has been my "go to brand" for a few years now. If I need it and they make it thats what I buy. </div></div>

Talk about divine providence!

I'm looking forward to the improved eye relief and eye box. I trust my SS 10X but the eye box and eye relief can get taxing after a long day of shooting.

Damn it! I'm always a day late! Coupon is expired! Think calling them would do any good?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepin_Lawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn it! I'm always a day late! Coupon is expired! Think calling them would do any good? </div></div>

I hope so!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yesterday I asked SWFA about the cattails fitting the 5-20 powere ring. They said it will not, but since Frank recommended one..they were going to get busy looking into making one for it. </div></div>

It's already been confirmed in these posts and to me over the phone by swfa, and if the above is the current paridigm, Frank, please ask swfa to place a rush on the sunshades they are going to produce for our new scopes.

Looks like they'll be getting another near $100 from me in the form of a sunshade and zoom tail.
</div></div>

People requested cat-tails for the 1-4 and I could not believe how fast they were available. SWFA understand it's customers and is very responsive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was my lucky day. I was going to pass on this deal because I've been out of work for awhile and I didn't want to spend any cash. I went to the desert for some shooting. When I got home I had a Job offer in my E mail and a voice mail wanting to schedule a meeting for an offer from another company. Both are good jobs. I got in under the wire and ordered one. This will be my fifth SWFA scope and I ordered it with no worries regarding quality or support. The SWFA SS has been my "go to brand" for a few years now. If I need it and they make it thats what I buy. </div></div>

Talk about divine providence! </div></div>

I thought so. Actually this scope is a double win for me. I've wanted a rig with longer legs than a 308 for awhile. Every time I list what I want and price it up I get sticker shock. This scope cuts $1,500.00 off the cost and may make it possiable. I have no doubt the scope will meet my expations because the two 3-9X42s and SS 1-4X24 HD I own were way better than expected. I've been shooting a Colt 6920 for years with an Aimpoint on it. After shooting it for the past six months with the SS 1-4X24 HD I've discovered it is a seriously accurate little rifle out to 600 yards and still perform fast and handy at close range. If this new scope is the equal of that little 1-4 I will be extreamly pleased at the value received.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yesterday I asked SWFA about the cattails fitting the 5-20 powere ring. They said it will not, but since Frank recommended one..they were going to get busy looking into making one for it. </div></div>

It's already been confirmed in these posts and to me over the phone by swfa, and if the above is the current paridigm, Frank, please ask swfa to place a rush on the sunshades they are going to produce for our new scopes.

Looks like they'll be getting another near $100 from me in the form of a sunshade and zoom tail.
</div></div>

I think that the shade is included from what I read.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepin_Lawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn it! I'm always a day late! Coupon is expired! Think calling them would do any good? </div></div>
You won't know if you don't try. What have you got to lose?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Aron- </div></div>

i asked about them after lowlight showed that the nightforce sunshade fit and posted that pic. i was told by swfa they were looking into making them. i pryed and pryed for an answer on ETA and price but did not receive a specific time nor price, just that they were in the works.

i'd be doubly happy if it were included, but i haven't read that they would be in any of the ss 5-20 threads. have you possibly confused the fact that it will not be a sunshade, but rather the SWFA logo'ed battery cap that'll be included?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwhardee13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">speaking of what this site has made you spend.
rifle=1200
scope=1000...saved 500
rings and base=200...saved 50 or more through finding out about promotive.com
rear bag/cheek rest=60
bolt knob on the way=65...saved i dunno
bipod from pheonix tactical=200

spent=2725=saved 550+

Hadn't even pulled the trigger yet and I'm sure you guys out there will get me for another 500. I got to much time on my hands deployed looking at all the crap I need (want really). Thanks for the info from the site and the savings. </div></div>

Yep Chris, doing the same shit too. My wife seems annoyed that i'm buying stuff for me and not her, LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Aron- </div></div>

i asked about them after lowlight showed that the nightforce sunshade fit and posted that pic. i was told by swfa they were looking into making them. i pryed and pryed for an answer on ETA and price but did not receive a specific time nor price, just that they were in the works.

i'd be doubly happy if it were included, but i haven't read that they would be in any of the ss 5-20 threads. have you possibly confused the fact that it will not be a sunshade, but rather the SWFA logo'ed battery cap that'll be included?</div></div>

I stand corrected here is the thread. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...599#Post2568599

Go down just a little and Chris posted that there will be a shade but didn't say if it was included.

Aron-

I hope they make a "short" lever for the 5-20x. There really is no reason to have that lever an inch long...3/8" to 1/2" should be the max..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope they make a "short" lever for the 5-20x. There really is no reason to have that lever an inch long...3/8" to 1/2" should be the max.. </div></div>

I agree. You don't need that much leverage to make the adjustment and real long ones will snag.

New member here - I ordered one when the "liked it" reached the $500 discound and then traded in a Weaver tactical FFP 4x20-50 (in excellent shape) for a second one.

I'm really glad this group buy came about. I should have more time now to get out to the range and use my toys.

Thanks SWFA, Snipers Hide,and all others who made this happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Btillr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">liked! </div></div>
Little late, the groupbuy is already over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jake_c02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darn!!!!! I was going to order one last night and totally forgot! Damn it... </div></div>

That sucks... hate it when that happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope they make a "short" lever for the 5-20x. There really is no reason to have that lever an inch long...3/8" to 1/2" should be the max.. </div></div>

I agree. 1/2" should be plenty to wrap a finger around or push with your thumb. Of course, that's assuming the changing magnification isn't stiff, otherwise the extra leverage of a longer tail helps.

Uh...this scope looks amazing. I can't wait.

Sorry for the confusion.
smile.gif

When did you order? Date/time This is good news.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greywolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You guys need to trade up for a better model. My wife DEMANDED a SS 3-9x42 for the new .308 bolt gun she demanded, and is bitching at me for only buying ONE SS 1-4HD and 5-20x50 - she's such a bitch.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Haha you lucky bastard

I ordered within the last day. We should all be lighter by $1000 soon.
smile.gif

Got my new Manners T4 with mini chassis this week and just waiting for the scope (5-20x50) to top it all off. The horror of waiting is unbearable!

edit: I haven't been charged as of this date yet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered within the last hour or so. We should all be lighter by $1000 soon.
smile.gif
</div></div>
I ordered within the first hour on 5/18, sure hope you are right. My card has not been charged yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I guess the second shipment is on it's way because the money got pulled from my account yesterday!!
smile.gif
I expect to have a new scope in the next couple of days! </div></div>

I bet that what you are seeing is the auth - not the actual charge.

Nothin happenin on my account either... wishful thinkin!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greywolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yep Chris, doing the same shit too. My wife seems annoyed that i'm buying stuff for me and not her, LOL </div></div>

You guys need to trade up for a better model. My wife DEMANDED a SS 3-9x42 for the new .308 bolt gun she demanded, and is bitching at me for only buying ONE SS 1-4HD and 5-20x50 - she's such a bitch.
wink.gif
</div></div>

oh dont get me wrong she loves to shoot but i try an keep her in the dark as to what cost what. i avoid the "hey babes whats that cost?" the best i can. im pretty sure she knows she doesn't want to know though.

Well I use an account for online purchases and deposit the funds for that transaction only. That way, if it gets hacked somehow, I know which transaction it was and no other money is taken.

I checked the balance and the money has been removed. ?? Your guess is as good as mine.

Just an authorization. You'll see the money back within a day or two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lolnorcal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><iframe width="1280" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3iEK-tVheg8?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen><iframe> </div></div>

Thanks for the great review! A question for you, or for anybody that knows- what mount is that on the GAP-10? Any reason specifically the hand guard doesn't have any rail where the objective bell comes close to the hand guard?

I ask because I'll be putting this on a MA-TEN build, with Troy TRX-308 hand guard with a rail along the top (flush with the receiver rail), and would like to get a mount or rings that will bring the scope nice and low, with a bit of room to spare for Butler Creek caps. It seems from the video that I won't need to get a canted mount to keep everything mounted up to the receiver and not overlapping onto the rail.

I've been looking at the American Defense Recon S with 1.470" from the centerline to the top of the rail, seen here: http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/11/ </div></div>

I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this question either. I am in the same boat putting the 5-20 on a Mega Ma-Ten build and I need to figure out what size rings I need.

ETA: nevermind, hunting for the answer in the ring height FAQ right now.

Time for an update from SWFA.

That plane leaving Japan three weeks ago surely can't be still orbiting some US airport any more.

Of course, maybe they were being turds and really had only 10 done and ready and scheduled for air freight on May 30-31, but kept it sounding like an entire "batch" with enough scopes to cover all orders up to 5/27/11 was assembled.

Even a certain gunsmith who had to wait for an outside CNC shop to finish its work had it all done in three weeks. How long should it take to make some battery covers?

At least the money has not been charged to those using plastic.

The sun shade I will doubt is included or the cat tail they will develop. The don't include a sunshade or Butler Creeks on the other SS so why this one. I am happy to get the scope I can buy the rest later on when it comes available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time for an update from SWFA.

That plane leaving Japan three weeks ago surely can't be still orbiting some US airport any more.

Of course, maybe they were being turds and really had only 10 done and ready and scheduled for air freight on May 30-31, but kept it sounding like an entire "batch" with enough scopes to cover all orders up to 5/27/11 was assembled.

Even a certain gunsmith who had to wait for an outside CNC shop to finish its work had it all done in three weeks. How long should it take to make some battery covers?

At least the money has not been charged to those using plastic.</div></div>
This^

The last update we got from SWFA was that they were tentatively scheduled for shipment on the 9th. We haven't heard anything since. I seriously doubt they have left Japan. They know how highly anticipated this shipment is, so I think they would let us know when there is any good news. Until they chime in, its all speculation at this point.

...as the quiet grumblings begin emanating from the restless crowd....

I agree,a n update would be nice. This thread started with some statements that some scopes could be delivered at the end of LAST month, then the shipment would be on the plane here 3 weeks ago. Since then its been quiet. Swfa has posted in other threads since the last update here. Any update would be a nice update honestly.

Pat

Well, let's see what SWFA has actually said about the shipping. First:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are not in customs, not sure how that rumor started. We did mention that we don't have a firm ETA because U.S. Customs is the wild card and we never know how long they will take.

They are scheduled to be on an airplane heading this way May 30th. </div></div>

That didn't happen and it was follow up by:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Update</span></span>

Dan mis-spoke, he was so used to saying they are scheduled to ship at the end of the month (I think he even says it in his sleep)that he forgot the month changed.

The first shipment was scheduled to be in the air on the 30th and we missed that because of a delay in receiving the production battery caps.

We are turning them out as quickly as possible without compromising quality. These are very difficult scopes to manufacture due to the location of the reticle in the one piece tube, being 30mm adds to the difficulty. Our tolerance ranges are also much narrower than most manufacturers.

The first batch is ready to go and is waiting for the flight schedule to be finalized, we are shooting for Thursday the 9th.

We are paying extra for the air freight vs slow boat to get them in your hands as quick as possible. We've also instructed the factory to not wait until the scheduled amount for the next shipments is achieved and to ship them in smaller lots as soon as they are made and pass inspection.

We did have a small sample batch of ten flown in for our inspection, since it’s cheaper to fly the scopes here than fly us to the scopes. We sent out three and now have seven that we don't know what to do with.

Popcorn.gif

</div></div>

Given SWFA's silence about the shipment, I'm guessing that the 9th didn't happen either. So at this point, we have to fall back to LL's intel, which points to a hijack:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard from someone highly placed at SWFA, I'm not gonna say who, but they were worried about the shipment being hijacked by Leupold or possibly S&B on its way from Japan and most of you might not get your scopes for at least 9 months when the third batch shows up. Chris and I were talking via email and luckily he had a second special shipment sent early, the mods and I are getting some of those, but the rest of you, might very well be shit out of luck for a while. Really, I was like no way, and my source was like, dude, seriously, hijacked, Leupold, waiting at the docks, although with the precision of the operation, I suspect Germans were somehow to blame. But that is me.

I kinda feel bad I pushed all you to buy these scopes only to be left high and dry for so long, but after a few beers, I was like, fuck it, I got mine, and I don't know those people. Still, it's a great scope, I was shooting it yesterday with my GAP10, and it was hammering, totally spanked the target. Some days I envy those who have to wait for stuff, I think it teaches a valuable lesson not being able to just "get" stuff, without waiting. You guys are truly blessed in that regards.

Well, have a great night, if I hear more I will keep you updated. Until then, good shooting. </div></div>

ay7gk9.jpg

So, deal with it.

No big deal, my AR308 build won't be done for another couple weeks. Though, my absolute deadline is about a month from now.

I don't understand "shipment being hijacked by Leupold or possibly S&B on its way from Japan"???

Because they're going to retag them and sell them, or because they blew up the scopes with rocket launchers?