• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing So I put a PTG DBM bottom metal in my factory Hogue stock.....why you ask?

Infidel45

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2014
Bristol, VA
Some back-story.....a few months ago I decided I could not live without a chassis system for my AAC-SD. Despite the fact that with some elbow grease, sand paper, JB weld and some shims, I had my factory Hogue stock shooting 4 2/3" at 600 yards and about 3/4" at 300 yards.

So I bought an XLR Element and let me say that it is a fantastic chassis with more adjustability than you could ever want...not too heavy and a drop in fit for my SA R700. On top of that, Kyle is top notch to deal with and builds good kit. I have shot it in one match and on the range several times and I just cannot get comfortable with that type of set-up...guess I like a more traditional rifle stock. But one thing I now cannot live without (esp in tactical matches) is DBM.

So...did some reading about inletting stocks and was going to order a McMillan or B&C from Stockys but none in stock with DBM option. Googled the PTG DBM inletting and read other's comments that putting one in a Hogue was not advisable and shouldn't be done...too much work and the stock was a POS and not worth it, yada, yada. WELL...that sealed the deal for me. I gave my $99 to Midway and my PTG bottom metal arrived 3 days later.

With my dremel, a 5/8" spade bit for my drill, some 100 grit sandpaper, a flat and round file and some patience, I got it done. It is very easy to take out too much of the rubber material around the inlet, so since the stock was already painted, I simply squeezed in a little waterproof/paintable caulk to fill in the gaps and then dabbed some camo over it after it dried.

Custom work? Hardly, but I don't have "safe queens" or show pieces. I am a function over form guy all the way. But I think it looks OK for what it is...a very affordable and desirable upgrade to a stock that you already paid for when you bought the rifle. I mean, for $99 (not incl the mags of course) and a little labor, you have a VERY lightweight stock with DBM capable of MOA or better with a little "stiffening". Anyway, if anyone is ever interested in how I did it (gotta have the spade bit), I will describe it in more detail...

IMG_00002002_zpsfb2a860f.jpg

IMG_00002003_zpsd9226a6a.jpg

IMG_00002005_zpsb03e5d67.jpg

SWFA and Weaver rings, a man after my own "Budget build" heart. Those SWFA SS scopes are excellent for the money. I actually like the houge stocks again for the price for a simple install. I think spending over 1500 bucks on a .308 (not including optics) is un-necassary unless it is legitimately going to be a lives on the line sniper rifle but for banging steel and hunting it is a waste of coin better spent on ammo/reloading. Anyhow I used one of the Stockade money saver stock with a DBM. For my next build I'll buy a raw stainless action with the acu trigger and use either a choate stock or another one of the Stockade and use the exact DBM you have. How does it feed that is the key who gives a crap how it looks it has to function.

SWFA and Weaver rings, a man after my own "Budget build" heart. Those SWFA SS scopes are excellent for the money. I actually like the houge stocks again for the price for a simple install. I think spending over 1500 bucks on a .308 (not including optics) is un-necassary unless it is legitimately going to be a lives on the line sniper rifle but for banging steel and hunting it is a waste of coin better spent on ammo/reloading. Anyhow I used one of the Stockade money saver stock with a DBM. For my next build I'll buy a raw stainless action with the acu trigger and use either a choate stock or another one of the Stockade and use the exact DBM you have. How does it feed that is the key who gives a crap how it looks it has to function.

Droid, it's actually a Primary Arms FFP 4-14 Scope, but correct on the Weaver rings. I have a HDMR but just have to get some 34mm rings for it..the JP mount it came with was off an AR platform and is just too high. But I actually like the standard mil-dot in the PA scope..simple and effective.

Anyway-to your question. I have 3 AccurateMags that feed the PTG perfectly. I have 2 Alpha 1 mags that I just cannot get to feed-bolt will catch the head of the case but mis-feeds. I could probably mess around with the inlet or the Alpha mags and get them to feed but I don't really care since the Accurate mags work fine. The Alphas did fine with the XLR chassis so there isn't anything wrong with the mag...just a different design.

Droid, it's actually a Primary Arms FFP 4-14 Scope, but correct on the Weaver rings. I have a HDMR but just have to get some 34mm rings for it..the JP mount it came with was off an AR platform and is just too high. But I actually like the standard mil-dot in the PA scope..simple and effective.

Anyway-to your question. I have 3 AccurateMags that feed the PTG perfectly. I have 2 Alpha 1 mags that I just cannot get to feed-bolt will catch the head of the case but mis-feeds. I could probably mess around with the inlet or the Alpha mags and get them to feed but I don't really care since the Accurate mags work fine. The Alphas did fine with the XLR chassis so there isn't anything wrong with the mag...just a different design.

Cool. I used accurate mags in my savage .308 with great results. I cerakoated them magpul OD green.