• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So my daughter is heading off to college...

1) Common sense.
2) Awareness.
3) Knife, pepper spray, and whistle all on-person, not in bag somewhere.
Of all the suggestions, this one get's my vote.
The man / woman who will survive the longest is the one who will do the best with they have to work with.
Murphy's Law : If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong. Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.
A 2 hour drive is a 120 mile hike.

Teach her the basic's of staying alive in a disaster. Alive / healthy, water and a bit of protean and she can travel 120 miles in bad conditions.
One of her very best options is to simply shelter n place until Dad and the Calvary arrive. If Dad is expeditious she will have water and shelter for the short term. Once she leaves her shelter, she will be difficult to find. Make a plan for a 2nd meeting place.
Make a plan as if comm's are down.
Remember to pray.

View attachment 8184648
Spare me, man, jeez ...

We're not talking about antibiotics so she can self treat a stab wound while waging a one woman war on a band of serial rapists after an attack on her dorm like a shitty Hollywood movie

He's talking about Tylenol or some basic prescriptions. College is maybe four years, the meds will be fine.

DOD did a study using meds from fucking WW2 that were like 50-60 years old from stockpiles in Europe and they were still 85%+ effective and I doubt it was kept in climate controlled storage locations managed by people with biochemistry degrees. 🙄
IMG_5324.jpeg

I must admit that I haven’t seen the referenced study. Moreover, it is increasingly difficult to keep track of when we trust government studies and when we don’t.

A woman doesn’t need to store pharmaceuticals in her car. She can drop a bottle of Motrin, or Xanax, or whatever into her bag of holding- right next to her cell phone, cell phone charger, lip gloss, tampons, and zip ties.

Contrary to popular belief, an undergrad biochemistry degree doesn’t prepare one for much, beyond- perhaps- a superficial explanation of the TCA cycle. Supervision of a pharmaceutical trial- flawed or not- is beyond most with a graduate biochem degree. (Apparently, witty and deprecating require more emojis 🤣.)

Headlamps allow you to use both hands and still see. Kinda nice when changing a tire in the dark. Appropriate gloves also.

Last edited:
She would need to take it out of the car when it's hot and every so often to charge it up. I got one for my wife because jumper cables in the car don't help when no one is around, there are jumper cables in the car though. She left it in the car all the time, even though I would remind her to take it out and charge it, and when she needed it the battery pack was dead.
I guess it depends on how you are storing it. I keep mine in the trunk of my car inside a larger bag used to organize supplies.

It's been extremely hot here and mine is still good. I think the last time I charged it was about a year ago. I just pulled it out a few minutes ago and it still has 100% charge.

In the interior of the car or cab of a truck might be different though, especially without a sun visor to cover the windshield.

Just my opinion.....

Id get her a car in her name, a phone in her name, insurance in her name, and rent in her name. Then give her all the bills when they come. It'll teach her more than college, plus enough responsibility to account for the things "she" needs in "her" car.

My parents helped me to college, by pointing in the general direction. And by general direction, I mean the front door.

25 is the new 18, except they still get to vote

chastity belt with you keeping the key.

j/k, good luck for you and her.

Medical power of attorney
Common sense
Awareness of where she is and with who
Fire extinguisher for car and dorm
Asp pepper spray
Jump box
Basic first aid
Water
Rain jacket

The rest is a phone call away.

Reactions: UKDslayer
You forgot a good 9mm with 4 spare mags and an AR with 6 spare mags.
A good knife, fixed and folder.
Bolt cutters.
Small axe.
😉

Ornery response aside, I would worry about an IFAK and knowledge over alcohol wipes and bandaids.
Those are for minor things to be dealt with later, not emergencies.
Gauze and duct tape for stuff that doesnt require a TQ or QuickClot.
Make sure she knows stop the bleed (at least basic principles) and basic bystander CPR (really can save a strangers life, have 3 cases at work in last couple months that were exactly this with one of the above 2).

I will trust you have armed her with common sense and warnings about morally corrupt humans who will try to destroy her moral compass.
Pink Shoes beat me to it.

Well, while empirically dosing pharmaceuticals until the desired effect is reached certainly SOUNDS like college, my biochemistry degree did not prepare me to calculate dosage while accounting for the effects of age and heat exposure over a myriad pharmaceuticals that might be needed in an emergency situation. I will, however, defer to the superior knowledge of the pharmacologists in attendance. And, a vehicle gets HOT in the summer- at least around here it does. This, to my mind, excludes meds from the realm of vehicle borne emergency gear. This doesn't mean that I am saying that you shouldn't have meds on you- especially if you need them. Nor am I saying that you should only have those meds that you currently need. Only, that meds are not appropriate- to my mind- in a kit that neglectedly sits in the trunk of a hot car until needed.

.mil SLEP (shelf life extension program essentially says keep meds cool, dry and dark and they are good for years after expiration date, except for some penicillins (and NTG for geezers) which are use-by date only.

A turret-mounted beltfed, nods and side-firing flamethrowers would be my rec.

Reactions: mtrmn
.mil SLEP (shelf life extension program essentially says keep meds cool, dry and dark and they are good for years after expiration date,
Well, the trunk of a car is dark. The cab isn’t even that. Maybe summers are cool and dry somewhere, but they’re HOT and HUMID around here. This is my point, and you’ve made it for me.

If the emergency kit owner is the kind of person to regularly check their emergency gear and do necessary maintenance and replacement, then perishable items are fine.

But, if you threw a ‘get home bag’ in the trunk of the car at the height of the zombie craze, and haven’t seen the inside of it since well before Covid, I wouldn’t trust anything with a shelf life to be useful in the off chance it is needed.

A 1-ton service truck with toolbox workbed to haul all this shit. Recommend air compressor, welding machine/generator, crane.
I think you’re on to something. She could pull her car up on to a roll back and just drive that.

• Haha
I've had this problem and helped others so I have seen it few times.

Take off all 4 tires and put anti-seize on all the lug nut studs and a small dab between each on the break rotor. Nothing worse than having a flat tire then the rim is seized/rusted on to the caliper/axle. Then trying to kick the tire off or looking for something to use as a sledge hammer to get the rim off with.

Jump box with air compressor built in
12 volt impact wrench with torque stick and socket (most people can't break loose 100 + ft lb with a short bar)
A better jack than stock
Bear spray or pepper spray (some say bear spray is better larger can and sprays farther)
Small first aid kit
Pre paid visa card you can reload from your phone
Condoms

I don't keep any of these in my vehicle

Well, the trunk of a car is dark. The cab isn’t even that. Maybe summers are cool and dry somewhere, but they’re HOT and HUMID around here. This is my point, and you’ve made it for me.

If the emergency kit owner is the kind of person to regularly check their emergency gear and do necessary maintenance and replacement, then perishable items are fine.

But, if you threw a ‘get home bag’ in the trunk of the car at the height of the zombie craze, and haven’t seen the inside of it since well before Covid, I wouldn’t trust anything with a shelf life to be useful in the off chance it is needed.

SLEP pdf's. Keep a meds and other stuff to bag in her room.

Reference docs for meds life

Many others out there

maybe somebody said this, or maybe it is paranoid, but when mine was in school i got her a backpack with some armor built in so she had a least something to use as a shield.

Reactions: mtrmn and Snipe260
An old rug. Asphalt can get really hot during the summer if you have to get under a car to look around or need to kneel on something while working on the car. Also might save her clothes if she's wearing something nice when said emergency happens.

Looking for thoughts/opinions/experiences on what I need to compile for her in an emergency kit to keep in her car.

The drive will be 2 hours, and a great deal of it will be through the countryside. Cell service is good the entire way. She will never be too far away for me to drop what I'm doing and go, but it is still up to a 2 hour drive.

So far I'm looking at getting her the Cabela's gear bag and fill it with the following:

Edit: Jumper Cables are already in the car

1. Basic ratchet and socket set - sae and metric
2. Flashlight - battery operated - not rechargeable
3. Whistle -
4. Road flare
5. Reflective safety cone or triangle?
6. Duck tape
7. Electrical tape
8. Screws drivers or a driver handle with a box of different bits
9. Gloves
10. Pepper Spray in bag
11. Knife or utility knife
12. Paracord
13. Alcohol wipes
14. Bandaids
15. Glue?
16. Pliers - maybe channel locks

My wife also wants her to have some sort of personal protection weapon to keep on her. I will check into the school's policys, but she wants to go with an telescoping baton. I already understand if someone takes a weapon from you it can be used on you. Just looking for thoughts or what you may have done for your child, or if you are a college student what do you have?

Thank you in advance.
Traveling with girls? Toilet paper. A whole roll of double ply.

Reactions: JR_77
maybe somebody said this, or maybe it is paranoid, but when mine was in school i got her a backpack with some armor built in so she had a least something to use as a shield.

Like this?

(Yeah, it's Botach but showed up in my inbox tonight)

Reactions: theLBC
Syrup of ipecac for the alcohol poisoning.
Day after pill for same.

Yea college is like that.

I appreciate all the input in true Sniper's Hide fashion how this thread zigged and zagged along the way.

Thank you for your input: some of it was helpful, some of it was funny, and some of it gave me worry in form of wtf. (the next person that mentions condoms or pills gets punched in the nuts 😁 )

I hope I have done a solid job as a father, so whatever the school (or any person she meets) throws at her it won't F her up.

My biggest concern is school debt. When I was growing up it was a given to go to college. Now? Screw that unless you need it for a chosen field. I have 24 years behind me in teaching and coaching in the public education, and I can tell you 100% the education system is so F'd up. The only 2 grades that aren't are Pre-K (which children shouldn't be in an institution at age 4) and kindergarten. There are many great teachers, a rare few great administrators, and a few great schools, but the entire approach from first grade to doctoral graduate needs revamping. That's just the academic part. I'm not even touching on the infinite abyss of discipline and the fact that it is like the dinosaur = extinct.

I tried my best to encourage her to join the Air Force, but that is a no go. I just don't want her walking out with 4 years of experience that cost her $120K that is worthless. So, as of right now she wants to be an Architect.

So... roadside assistance, check. change tire if needed, check. order jump box with compressor, will do (thanks). pepper spray instead of blunt object, will order. flashlight, will order (already researching).

The tool kit in the trunk isn't intended for working on the car. I don't expect her to be a mechanic. It's for, well, who knows? Better response may be, why not? Just in case. I don't know - pick your reason.

Please keep in contact with her, talk as much as you can because they might put alot of things you dont like in her head. My son was raised in a conservative home and came back from college a full blown liberial. I dont think myself or life can change his fucked up views of the world now.
Don’t be so sure.

Its easy to be liberal when someone else is footing the bill. When he starts making real money and paying taxes he’ll come around.

I see it all the time. It usually happens when libs hit the 24% marginal tax bracket. Before tax season they’re bitching about how the wealthy don’t pay their fair share and by April 15th theyre shooting at cases of bud light and trading in their Prius for a pickup with a Lets Go Brandon bumper sticker.

if this is unavailable to follow her around all day everyday
210311-A-OD115-0001A.JPG

lots of prayer and a handgun and ammo is all I have congrats on her making it to collage , hope she does not bring home a guy named brad who is a cross dresser and is taking lesbian dance theory .

• Haha
Reactions: rookie7
Why has no one said fuses ? That and a spare relay.

Hard print and laminate a "cheat sheet" with pictures. Double sided, and only the one page. On it list things like "oil - 4 litres if completely empty, its only 500ml when showing on the dip stick between empty and full".
Tyres - 32psi each. Check every 3 months at a servo.
Coolant - 6 litres if dry. 1 litre in here tops it up..
Battery - red is positive, black is neutral.
Serpintine (fan) belt - (include a picture of the correct path, and which one is idler / tensioner.
Etc...
On any break down, she pulls out of glove box, has the quick easy-mode reference card to look at. Anything beyond that card is a mechanic.

Why a card in glove box ? Because flat phones or no reception is a complete dick punch. And car owner manuals are a nightmare.

Why has no one said fuses ? That and a spare relay.

Hard print and laminate a "cheat sheet" with pictures. Double sided, and only the one page. On it list things like "oil - 4 litres if completely empty, its only 500ml when showing on the dip stick between empty and full".
Tyres - 32psi each. Check every 3 months at a servo.
Coolant - 6 litres if dry. 1 litre in here tops it up..
Battery - red is positive, black is neutral.
Serpintine (fan) belt - (include a picture of the correct path, and which one is idler / tensioner.
Etc...
On any break down, she pulls out of glove box, has the quick easy-mode reference card to look at. Anything beyond that card is a mechanic.

Why a card in glove box ? Because flat phones or no reception is a complete dick punch. And car owner manuals are a nightmare.
A woman in a broke down car is a magnet for the perp's........ Best defense is to distance herself from that scenario. Call Dad and go wait inside the local 24 hour Walmart or Waffle House..

Thank you for your input: some of it was helpful, some of it was funny, and some of it gave me worry in form of wtf. (the next person that mentions condoms or pills gets punched in the nuts 😁 )
Might not be a Dad purchase mom might need to be involved.
A vibrator
Before you get mad about it. Just know it might be the difference between bringing home a degree or a frat boy named Chad or a Bro type guy.

:)

SLEP pdf's. Keep a meds and other stuff to bag in her room.

Reference docs for meds life

Many others out there
You're wasting your time.

He's already decided he's right and everyone else is wrong 👍

Did we list oil change, all fluids checked & topped off, new battery, all lights checked, maybe replaced if original, new all season Michelins or whatever else is highly rated (Tire Rack used to have good reviews)new coin cell in car remote, super clean windows inside & out, thorough cleaning just in case there are loose 22 rds rolling around under the seat, tracker app for her phone (with her permission of course), emergency numbers card in wallet, card for gas with orders never less than 1/2 a tank, inflatable angry biker to put in passenger seat...

Nothing about drinks? Never drink anything that has been opened where she could not see it. If she turns away from her drink, it gets tossed.

Reactions: Buzzinga
@rookie7 I see yer getting plenty of advice, but here is a list of what I keep with me, this ditty bag can go in my backpack for multi day hikes into the backcountry, or in our day packs that are always with us.

Ditty bag
-toiletries (tp, tooothbrush and paste)
-first aid (small basics)
-lighter (bic)
-flashlight
-knife

Then these next items in the daypack,
Water, 1 or 2 liters (more dependent on geographic location)
Water filter and extra water storage (tablets instead of filter if in dusty desert areas)
Thermal layer (weather dependent)
balaclava
Snacks
Handheld radio (or some pre planned communication plan in the event it’s needed)

Possible extras:
paper map
Sunglasses
Wind or rain jacket
Buff bandana

That’s what we have as a baseline, my wife adds other personal things, as do I.
Recently we had a catastrophic breakdown late one night and decided to stay in the car till morning, we had snacks, water, blankets, so brushed our teeth and got some sleep.

And finally, what I told my wife when she was assembling her own pack, “have a reason for everything you pack” the only thing she added after our event was deodorant. 😂

Reactions: rookie7
Looking for thoughts/opinions/experiences on what I need to compile for her in an emergency kit to keep in her car.

The drive will be 2 hours, and a great deal of it will be through the countryside. Cell service is good the entire way. She will never be too far away for me to drop what I'm doing and go, but it is still up to a 2 hour drive.

So far I'm looking at getting her the Cabela's gear bag and fill it with the following:

Edit: Jumper Cables are already in the car

1. Basic ratchet and socket set - sae and metric
2. Flashlight - battery operated - not rechargeable
3. Whistle -
4. Road flare
5. Reflective safety cone or triangle?
6. Duck tape
7. Electrical tape
8. Screws drivers or a driver handle with a box of different bits
9. Gloves
10. Pepper Spray in bag
11. Knife or utility knife
12. Paracord
13. Alcohol wipes
14. Bandaids
15. Glue?
16. Pliers - maybe channel locks

My wife also wants her to have some sort of personal protection weapon to keep on her. I will check into the school's policys, but she wants to go with an telescoping baton. I already understand if someone takes a weapon from you it can be used on you. Just looking for thoughts or what you may have done for your child, or if you are a college student what do you have?

Thank you in advance.
Fix-a-flat, tire plugs

Reactions: UKDslayer
Please keep in contact with her, talk as much as you can because they might put alot of things you dont like in her head. My son was raised in a conservative home and came back from college a full blown liberial. I dont think myself or life can change his fucked up views of the world now.

Plenty of people go to college and have no trouble remaining a conservative.

A woman in a broke down car is a magnet for the perp's........ Best defense is to distance herself from that scenario. Call Dad and go wait inside the local 24 hour Walmart or Waffle House..
so australia is finally better at something !.

I appreciate all the input in true Sniper's Hide fashion how this thread zigged and zagged along the way.

I hope I have done a solid job as a father, so whatever the school (or any person she meets) throws at her it won't F her up.

My biggest concern is school debt. When I was growing up it was a given to go to college. Now? Screw that unless you need it for a chosen field. I have 24 years behind me in teaching and coaching in the public education, and I can tell you 100% the education system is so F'd up. The only 2 grades that aren't are Pre-K (which children shouldn't be in an institution at age 4) and kindergarten. There are many great teachers, a rare few great administrators, and a few great schools, but the entire approach from first grade to doctoral graduate needs revamping. That's just the academic part. I'm not even touching on the infinite abyss of discipline and the fact that it is like the dinosaur = extinct.

I tried my best to encourage her to join the Air Force, but that is a no go. I just don't want her walking out with 4 years of experience that cost her $120K that is worthless. So, as of right now she wants to be an Architect.

So... roadside assistance, check. change tire if needed, check. order jump box with compressor, will do (thanks). pepper spray instead of blunt object, will order. flashlight, will order (already researching).

The tool kit in the trunk isn't intended for working on the car. I don't expect her to be a mechanic. It's for, well, who knows? Better response may be, why not? Just in case. I don't know - pick your reason.
make her do a architecture internship with a firm that will actually let her do work and not just go for coffee. She'll figure out quickly whether she really wants to do that or not.

Tow strap. fix a flat kit. Air tag.

Screwdriver under both front seats. Deadly weapon that is an innocuous looking tool.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Smallest diameter tip you can get - 6" or 8" don't matter. Make sure the handle is 4" or 6" in length so it can be gripped well.
Stabbing a determined attacker with a screwdriver seems like an exercise futility. I’m guessing north of 80 stabs to inflict enough damage?

If she was raised to be a traditional woman then she doesn’t need college, the debt, and a career that she will despise as she realizes family and children are more important than any proffessional choice she thought she wanted. She just needs to find a man with the means to provide for her. Those with the means to do so don’t give a damn about her career or money anyhow that is as long as she is cute, can cook, can clean, is loyal, and doesn’t nag or get in the way. If she is either a troll or a “modern woman” who thinks they are equal to men then by all means work on that career.

Reactions: Bullfrog08