• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes So, what about Leupold Mark 5 ?

Clearly the tech did not annotate one of the steps taken in remediation of your service issue:

Service Activity:

* Wipe inside of objective lens with dirty used Kleenex before reassembly.

Sorry man, that sucks.
The worst is the ocular that film is not on the outside, it’s on one of the inside lenses so it can’t be cleaned unless taken apart

I know that isn't typical for Leupold, usually they, are better and other higher end stuff is better. But, man, that is shitty. Hopefully they handle it for you... this time.

I know that isn't typical for Leupold, usually they, are better and other higher end stuff is better. But, man, that is shitty. Hopefully they handle it for you... this time.
I’m sure they will fix it & this definitely isn’t normal. I actually have a lot of experience with leupold customer service from working at my uncles gun shop & usually they are really good. Luckily I just picked up the xrs2 & dmr pro during bushnells sale & got both scopes for just under $2000. So while the mk5 is being fixed I’m going to use the dmr pro

I’m sure they will fix it & this definitely isn’t normal. I actually have a lot of experience with leupold customer service from working at my uncles gun shop & usually they are really good. Luckily I just picked up the xrs2 & dmr pro during bushnells sale & got both scopes for just under $2000. So while the mk5 is being fixed I’m going to use the dmr pro

Yea, I've had good luck with Leupold in the past. Honestly kinda shocked yours got out of their office like that.

I just got my Xrs2 mounted up last week. Unfortunately, I've been really busy with work and stuff, havent been able to get out to shoot yet, probably not until mid July at the earliest. It's killing me, but I'm glad I got the XRS2. It's about the best glass I've ever looked through, but that's more because I don't have experience with the real high end stuff. Very happy with the bushnell so far, the razor gen2s and mk5hds I've been behind aren't significantly better than the bushnell for my purposes

I just got a Luepold Mark 5 3.6x18 and wow I’m in love, other then the noticeable CA on high contrast things I love it. Easy to zero clicks are nice it’s light

LAW-DOG,

I'm sure you've already reached out to our service team, or are about to, but you are correct that that is not an acceptable condition for that scope to be in after service. We will make sure you are taken care of. Look out for a direct message from me.

LAW-DOG,

I'm sure you've already reached out to our service team, or are about to, but you are correct that that is not an acceptable condition for that scope to be in after service. We will make sure you are taken care of. Look out for a direct message from me.
I just sent email thank you

Got a little time on a Mark5 5-25 this past weekend. It's a nice optic that tracks accurately so far. I was able to zero a loaner rifle relatively easily and get dope out to 1100 yards. Ran it back to zero and out to 10 mils about 20 times for fun. Zero was still good and so was 1100. Ran a KYL rack at 650 and was able to pretty easily see impacts. Just over 100 rounds in and I'm very pleased with performance at the range.

At home one nice feature is the optic will focus pretty well at short distance for dry fire. I was actually quite happy running position drills indoors since it's hot as hell this time of year. I'm pretty pleased with the 5-25 and I'm considering putting one on a 22 precision loaner build for local matches.

I have been following this thread for a couple of weeks. I am somewhat new to long range shooting and have a chance to pick up a MK 5 5-25x56 with a CCH reticle for somewhere between $1500-$1800, negotiating now.
Any input would help. This is going on my RPR in 6.5 and right now my max range is 1K yards. Suggestions and comments welcome. BTW this a basically new with all the original box manual etc.

I just got a Luepold Mark 5 3.6x18 and wow I’m in love, other then the noticeable CA on high contrast things I love it. Easy to zero clicks are nice it’s light View attachment 7096980
I’ve heard this from a few people now about the ca on the 18x. The 56mm seems handle ca better than the 18x. I really have to search it out to find it. It’s not far off my pmii in ca but fov, color, parallax, & eye box aren’t quite as good. I can’t wait to compare my pmii, xrs2, dmr pro, & Mk5hd when it gets back

Reactions: Jonnyb0381
I’ve heard this from a few people now about the ca on the 18x. The 56mm seems handle ca better than the 18x. I really have to search it out to find it. It’s not far off my pmii in ca but fov, color, parallax, & eye box aren’t quite as good. I can’t wait to compare my pmii, xrs2, dmr pro, & Mk5hd when it gets back

The 3.6-18x44 Mark 5 is very short which makes CA harder to control. 5-25x56 and 7-35x56 are longer, so there is very little CA with those. I am testing the 7-35x56 right now and like it quite a lot. It is easily the lightest scope of this type around and if it holds up well, Leupold has a very nice niche there. Everything else in this category is heavier.

I am glad Leupold is taking care of you. Screw ups happen and all good companies own up to it and make it right.

ILya

The 3.6-18x44 Mark 5 is very short which makes CA harder to control. 5-25x56 and 7-35x56 are longer, so there is very little CA with those. I am testing the 7-35x56 right now and like it quite a lot. It is easily the lightest scope of this type around and if it holds up well, Leupold has a very nice niche there. Everything else in this category is heavier.

I am glad Leupold is taking care of you. Screw ups happen and all good companies own up to it and make it right.

ILya
I knew they would because this rarely happens. My uncles shop had leupolds & our customers would jack them up hunting & they always took care of them & in a timely manner too. That goes a long way for making life long customers. Your right about the length in optics contributing to how they handle ca from telephoto lenses, telescopes, & binoculars. My old photography professor said the same thing about shorter optics & ca.

ILya

I, for one, will gladly trade some CA for the weight, size, and performance of the Mk5 3.6. That thing is flat out awesome on my SPR.

I, for one, will gladly trade some CA for the weight, size, and performance of the Mk5 3.6. That thing is flat out awesome on my SPR.

It all comes down to application. I liked the 3.6-18x44 Mark 5 a lot, but for me it come down to reticles and the fact that I already have a TT315M that is a little longer, but weighs almost the same.

ILya

Reactions: USMC_JA
I was thinking about getting one too for my m6 spr. They make great optics for ar with weight savings & performance

It all comes down to application. I liked the 3.6-18x44 Mark 5 a lot, but for me it come down to reticles and the fact that I already have a TT315M that is a little longer, but weighs almost the same.

ILya
The tt315 is a really cool scope. Have you seen the cch in person yet. I’m really liking the horizontal open center crosshairs every .25mil for wind holds. The only thing I don’t like about the cch is the chevrons, for some reason me eye is drawn to them

ILya

Not all of us get to play in the Tangent Theta end of the pool. ;)

The tt315 is a really cool scope. Have you seen the cch in person yet. I’m really liking the horizontal open center crosshairs every .25mil for wind holds. The only thing I don’t like about the cch is the chevrons, for some reason me eye is drawn to them

I have seen the CCH reticle and it is a perfectly reasonable design. With some training it works as well as any other. For me personally, there are a couple of things that are not my cup of tea. One is that the grid extends 20 mrad down. That's just not a good idea in my opinion, for a variety of reasons (same problem that I have with Mil-XT). Another is that the reticle is based on 0.25 mrad subtensions. Most modern reticles are based on 0.2 mrad and most older ones on 0.5 mrad. That is what most people who use grid/tree reticles are used to. Going back and forth between 0.25 mrad and 0.2 mrad is a bit of a pain in the ass, so it is better to stick to one.

ILya

I have seen the CCH reticle and it is a perfectly reasonable design. With some training it works as well as any other. For me personally, there are a couple of things that are not my cup of tea. One is that the grid extends 20 mrad down. That's just not a good idea in my opinion, for a variety of reasons (same problem that I have with Mil-XT). Another is that the reticle is based on 0.25 mrad subtensions. Most modern reticles are based on 0.2 mrad and most older ones on 0.5 mrad. That is what most people who use grid/tree reticles are used to. Going back and forth between 0.25 mrad and 0.2 mrad is a bit of a pain in the ass, so it is better to stick to one.

ILya
I have a few different reticles now from msr, h2cmr, ebr-2c, cch, h59, g3, & I use some family members Cronus btr. I don’t feel like I have an advantage with any of them & don’t really prefer one over another. I think that’s because I always shoot at known distances, dial elevation, & hold wind. It will be interesting to see how the xtr3 compares to mk5hd, trijicon accupower, razor & xrs2 since they are all close in price

I have been following this thread for a couple of weeks. I am somewhat new to long range shooting and have a chance to pick up a MK 5 5-25x56 with a CCH reticle for somewhere between $1500-$1800, negotiating now.
Any input would help. This is going on my RPR in 6.5 and right now my max range is 1K yards. Suggestions and comments welcome. BTW this a basically new with all the original box manual etc.
Is it illuminated or non illuminated

Non illuminated, I see where that may make a difference in low light conditions. Given my age and these eyes are not same as when i was 30 I might give this some more thought.

The low light performance on the Mk5 5-25 is so good, I don’t miss illumination. I am easily able to watch deer 5-600
I am taking a look at it tomorrow, put it on the rifle and go from there. I figure for the asking price, my budget, I'm probably not going to do much better, Leupold rings are included. I know sounds like rationalizing, it is.
Thanks

I am taking a look at it tomorrow, put it on the rifle and go from there. I figure for the asking price, my budget, I'm probably not going to do much better, Leupold rings are included. I know sounds like rationalizing, it is.
Thanks
The non illuminated goes for $1700 new & the rings are about $100 so I would offer the seller $1500-1600 otherwise buy it new

Love my MK6 3-18. So clear, is like yer not even looking thru a lens. It is a bit heavy. No matter. This aint a hunting rifle. :)

22 know your limits looks like insane fun on yootoobes? What do you enjoy more LR or the 22 action?

Uh, both? :devilish:

They are both very fun. The 22 LR games can be just as difficult as more traditional long range centerfire. It is MUCH simpler to get new shooters started in 22 of course. No noise, run 10 shooters on the same rifle, cheap accurate factory ammo, no reloading, never burn out a barrel, plates flip around like crazy, get your kids shooting, no recoil. Then again there's just something satisfying about slinging big lead really, really far.

Uh, both? :devilish:

They are both very fun. The 22 LR games can be just as difficult as more traditional long range centerfire. It is MUCH simpler to get new shooters started in 22 of course. No noise, run 10 shooters on the same rifle, cheap accurate factory ammo, no reloading, never burn out a barrel, plates flip around like crazy, get your kids shooting, no recoil. Then again there's just something satisfying about slinging big lead really, really far.
I may pick up a 22 and do some of this!

The non illuminated goes for $1700 new & the rings are about $100 so I would offer the seller $1500-1600 otherwise buy it new
Thanks I was just about ready to make the deal he is firm in 1800,. Would you happen to have a link for that price , Leupold is still at 2800 on their web site?
Thanks Greg

Thanks I was just about ready to make the deal he is firm in 1800,. Would you happen to have a link for that price , Leupold is still at 2800 on their web site?
Thanks Greg

Contact Scott@libertyoptics before you make a deal would be my suggestion.

Thanks Greg

Leupold's website pricing is MSRP. Most places sell them well below that new. Street price is below 2k for the basic TMR and whatever the basic MOA reticle is called.

Reactions: garandman
Thanks Greg

I always check Midway USA and Optics Planet for scope prices.

MK 5 3.6 - 18 x44 FFP

Optics Planet - 1800 https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-mark-5hd-3-6-18x44-first-focal-plane-riflescope.html

Midway USA - 1800 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...x-44mm-side-focus-zero-stop-first-focal-matte

Also BDU. Liberty optics would be my first choice, Scott has always provided great service. $1800 with rings definitely seems like it could be more than new price depending on the rings/mount.

Reactions: plong
Been said but should really check out Liberty Optics. Just got a 5-25 from them last week for $1550. Shipped fast and great communication. Check out the Snipers Hide Flash sale section.

Reactions: greg1147
Ocular lens
That is bs. I would call them and speak with a service manager or someone up top that can really help you out with that. that’s not kool.
I know when I got my brand new sealed 7-35 with plastic wrapper intact there was what looked to be a coffee stain on the tube. It cleaned off and the rest looked brand new. Disappointing yes, and surprising, made me wonder if the member I bought it from had resealed it somehow, but I don’t believe that to be the case,
Some companies have really bad qc and well people are human. Somethings get overlooked like maybe they thought yours had been looked over and paperwork was generated to soon.
Other than the spot on mine I’ve been really happy with my mk5 scope. I can’t say much more about details as I’ve only had it out 100 yards to re-zero rifle. But the picture was much clearer for me than my g2 razor.
Might be from a finer parallax adjustment not so much the glass just yet. I’ll report back after some long range use. I hope they make that right for you.

Optics planet has another sale on Spuhr mounts 15% off coupon code is “GRAB15”

Are $400 rings really necessary? I mean....sure.... IF my life depended on them. It doesn't. I'm just a fudd at the range. :)
Is a $1600+ scope really necessary you could have just gone with a $300 vortex/athlon. You don’t put Walmart tires on a Ferrari

Reactions: TheChief
Are $400 rings really necessary? I mean....sure.... IF my life depended on them. It doesn't. I'm just a fudd at the range. :)
My rifle cost close to $4000, my scope cost $1600, & all my reloading $$ to make sure I’m hitting .5moa or better. The mount, base, alignment, & torque lbs all are important, if one thing is off it screws up the results & at this point I want the best

Reactions: TheChief