• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Socom 762-RC review.

Masked

Smith Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2012
Connecticut
www.smith-tactical.com
Surefire SOCOM 762-RC Review

socom762-rc_bk1.jpg

Most important blurb from the product information:

SureFire’s SOCOM762-RC Fast-Attach® suppressor represents a revolutionary breakthrough for attenuating the signature of 7.62 rifles, including those chambered for high-intensity magnum calibers. This compact and lightweight suppressor—mounted to the Mk13 sniper rifle in .300 Win-Mag—recently won the Mk13 contract award with US Special Operations Command in the most extensive suppressor evaluation in history. The rigorous USSOCOM testing addressed all aspects of suppressor performance, and SureFire came out on top. The SOCOM762-RC also received the USSOCOM official safety verification in support of fielding.

The SOCOM762-RC features advanced gas-flow dynamics that reduce back pressure, thereby reducing the suppressed cyclic rate and gas blowback on the operator when used on auto-cycling guns. SureFire’s patent-pending front-plate design, along with the proprietary improvement in gas-flow dynamics, nearly eliminates first-round flash, a true technological breakthrough in this area. It attenuates noise and dust signatures to an unprecedented degree.

A new indexing system means this suppressor mounts to a SureFire muzzle brake or flash hider even more solidly than our previous models, and is easier to remove after extended firing since the index tab is in a low carbon-buildup area.

Specs:

Mount Style - Surefire SOCOM QD Mount
Suppressor Model - Surefire SOCOM762-RC
Caliber - 7.62mm (.30 Caliber – up to .300WM)
Color - Flat Dark Earth, Black
Weight - 19.5 oz
Diameter - 1.5″
Length - 8.4″
Build Material - Stainless Steel, Inconel 718
Finish - High Temperature Cerakote™
Manufacturer - Surefire

*DB reduction - @30db* - From my personal research.

My story:

So, @13 months ago when I bought this, there was little/no information anywhere about the Socom 762-RC, it was basically all word of mouth -- I think that's because there was not a tremendous amount of civilian experience with the can -- There still doesn't seem to be much so, I thought I'd add a review.

When I was looking for my suppressor, all of my military buddies told me to pick this up It was "the shit" everyone seemed to know a guy that thought it was awesome...The decibel reduction was better than anything else they had but, there was little to no first round flash...Bla bla bla the break mount and QD was "unreal" on Mk13's...

I was primarily looking for a backwards compatible 30 cal can. - I wanted something that would work for 300wm and a 30cal -- One thing I found was that there were only 2 or 3 cans in the market specifically rated for 300wm. - I actually made a call to Gemtech and AAC...The MK13-SD and the 300-TIM weren't available on the market yet and the AAC cans weren't rated for 300wm...There were also some can/mount concentric issues shooting around at the time -- I believe this might have been before the forum swap because I can no longer find those threads but, the thread in particular that I remember the most the baffles/entrance/exit on the can were NOT aligned...and not by a little... - That worried me...and with the hype surrounding the Socom, I just broke out the CC.

Called around looking for one -- Remember making like 10 phone calls that day and was ultimately told to give Champion Firearms in TX a call -- Dude's name was Roger. - Awesome guy to deal with. Filed my paperwork that day and off we went. Took about 13 months total from the initial transfer to getting the suppressor in my hands.

Clearing up the bullshit:

I think there's a lot of misinformation about this can -- I was certainly a victim of it when I was in the market and actually had to email a Surefire employee to get the 411...Charles, thanks man -- He's on the forums.

~ I was originally told by a class 3 that this can comes apart for cleaning -- It does NOT. It's nothing that an ultrasonic cleaner can't handle, particularly the Hornady but, again it does NOT come apart.

~ I was also told you could use the "regular Surefire brake" as a mount adapter -- NO. You need the Surefire adapter...I even sold one of the civilian brakes during the interim of my being misinformed and my shit being set straight -- Thankfully the individual I sold it to understood that I had been misled and un-fucked the situation right-quick -- Thanks again dude. (Happened about 3-4 months after I bought the can)

~ The 762 works incredibly well on 5.56/223 -- significantly less kick and more reduction -- The 7.62/5.56 adapters are both compatible with the 7-62 RC...Obviously this is NOT the case with the 5.56 RC...I was initially told by a class 3 that the adapters were not backwards compatible...That's false.

~ "The can wobbles" -- Is 100% bullshit IMO...If you actually tighten the can like they tell you to in the instructions, it's rock solid. I just can't see how you'd have wobble, at all if you're cranking it down by hand, like you're supposed to. -- *Disclaimer since I KNOW someone is going to bitch: I'm not saying it's not possible that someone has a can out of production standards, I'm saying that I personally can't see how you'd have any so please don't bitch/moan - this is an opinion.*

Range review #1

Took the can to a private range on Sunday...Put more than a couple hundred rounds through it.

Armalite 308/7.62 SASS -- For some reason this SASS loves 168 BTHP / Amax - POI shift was about 1 mil down/over from 100...Didn't have any blow-back issues but, after dialing in the AGB -- It was just awesome...Dumped about 75 rds at 100 yards of 308 -- Then did Mil-Spec 7.62...The 308 ammo needed some tuning in but, once it was there it shot fantastically...The 7.62 shot even better, actually, was noticeably quieter and there was barely any kick attributed to it.

300 Win Mag -- I bought the can primarily for this rifle -- I never really minded the kick to be honest but, with the RC on, kicks like an un-suppressed 308 which is nothing -- EXTREMELY impressed. Shooting from prone, no dust kick-up, buddy said there was no flash at all...Was shooting 208 Amax with H1000. -- Put about 15-20 rds down range...Just blown away by how awesome the can performed. **Note* This so happens to be true, not all of the H1000 burns on a 24" barrel by the time it hits the suppressor so, there is significantly more powder buildup...Just clean it more often, right? - But, I found this to be the case.*

5.56 -- Wow...Little to no kick at all out of a 16"...Definitely ear safe...I shoot primarily 5.56 62gr Federal - Really, wow. -- Minimal shift on the 5.56...Extremely impressed with it...Put about 100 down range...Happy happy happy.

300 blk - Same as 5.56 -- Just awesome. - very quiet too...Easily almost a "loud" clap...

Conclusion and final thoughts:

I did also have the opportunity to shoot my buddy's AAC MK13-SD -- I found that while it was a bit quieter the flash was quite noticeable and the ground kick-up was fairly significant...Now, clearly not all of us are firing from covert hides aiming down-range at something that's going to fire back but, it's worth mentioning...

I hadn't thought of going 6.8 until I read up on it -- Might give it a go...After some ammo replenishing.

I was going to start reloading for 308 Subsonic but, at this point, I think I'd be better off doing it for the blackout -- No offense to the guys that do it but, for my uses, a subsonic 308 might as well just be 300 blk.

Again -- Thought I'd write a review because there really aren't any out there...I don't really own a camera capable of doing a video with but, if I get one, I'll definitely do a video review.

Very impressed and very happy with my purchase.

*PS -- I typo'd the - in the title if a mod wants to fix it...Should be 762-RC. - Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, you are correct that it's almost impossible to find a review about the new surefire cans.

Thanks for the review, you are correct that it's almost impossible to find a review about the new surefire cans.

No problem.

If anyone has requests that are reasonable -- I can look into them.

One thing I didn't put in the review was the DB reduction.

I know the can is rated at 30DB but, I've heard that it can be anywhere from 30-35db.

I don't have a way to really measure the decibel level but, from the youtubes I've seen, it's about 30-32 on 300wm, 35ish on 5.56 so, I'm comfortable saying it's 30db of reduction.

If I can find someone in my area with one, I'll certainly get on it and test it out.

Will have some pictures up maybe next week...No trips to the range planned until Friday.

About how long does it extend out past the FH or MB mount when it's attached the rifle? I was weighing my options and I like the versatility of the 762 rc but the shorter OAL of the 68 is tempting for use on a .223 sbr or maybe a 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun.

Hey Masked I am glad you love the 762-RC. It is my favorite suppressor we make.

pinkhair the SOCOM762-RC adds 5.6" to the weapon.

Thanks Garin, How well does the Socom 68 suppress 5.56 and 6.5 creedmoor? If anyone would know you would.

thanks for the review. I have one sitting in ATF jail right now waiting on form 4 to clear. Gonna shoot it on my 24" AE .308 and probably on my SBR too. Glad to hear a positive point of view!

Thanks Garin, How well does the Socom 68 suppress 5.56 and 6.5 creedmoor? If anyone would know you would.

Pinkhair, I hope to share how the SF SOCOM 6.8 works on a 24" 6.5 CM soon. I have been waiting on the Form 3 to be approved since May 13. Form 3's have been taking a while.

Garin told me a few months ago that the 6.8 can sounds really good on a 6.5 CM.

Darin

Thanks Darin, hopefully your form 3 comes through soon. Let me know it sounds when you get a chance to shoot it.

Awesome review. The RC is my next can also. I own a 5.56-212 can. Could not be happier. Now......Garin....when will Surefire release 9mm and .45acp cans?

Thanks Darin, hopefully your form 3 comes through soon. Let me know it sounds when you get a chance to shoot it.

pinkhair,

I will be happy to share my thoughts once I get it. My customers and myself have been quite happy with the SOCOM 762 RC and SOCOM 556 RC cans. I expect the 6.8 to be just as good. I still have a Surefire FA6.8AR on a 12.5" Noveske 6.8 with Switchblock and it works fine but I can't mount it onto my heavy barreled 6.5 CM due to the reflex mount won't go over the heavy barrel profile.

Darin

Hey Masked I am glad you love the 762-RC. It is my favorite suppressor we make.

pinkhair the SOCOM762-RC adds 5.6" to the weapon.

I was thinking about this yesterday -- Clearly the 762-RC does an AMAZING job suppressing 223/5.56 but, how well does it suppress other calibers like the 6.5/6.8?

Also updated the OP and made it look more "professional"...:D

The SOCOM68 was ok with 6.5 Cred but the SOCOM762-RC was a lot better. We have not done formal sound testing on it at this time. All of us running suppressed at the comps running .260 or 6.5 are running the 762-RC.

Great review. Would love to see the SF SOCOM compared to the KAC QDC. Almost identical weights, lengths and similar material used in making them.

On a side note, some of your info is inaccurate. The MK13-SD is indeed rated for 300WM and was also selected by the Navy for their MK-13s roughly 3 years ago. Not sure if you were also referring to the 300-TM in your review, but if so, it is also 300 WM rated. I'm pretty sure the 36 cans made before mine and the thousands that came after it are also rated for 300 WM...

Those comparisons IMO are somewhat apples to oranges as the MK13-SD is a grade 7 and 5 titanium can weighing in at 13.9 oz with more internal volume than the SOCOM or KAC. Their design intent are also different based purely on rate of fire as the titanium cans won't hold up well under full auto fire. The SOCOM with a baffle stack made of 718 Inconel with a SS tube is going to take that type of abuse. Not something I particularly need for my uses and with the additional weight plus inferior sound reduction (which were my top two priorities) I didn't see any value for the same price.

The most interesting thing is incorporating 300BLK. If you're shooting subs suppressed there's no need to worry about materials used, as the pressures and temps aren't significant compared to nearly anything else out there. If one considers the quietest possible set up in the shortest 300 BLK possible, it's hard to beat an 8.2" 300 BLK metering an avg of 119.4DBs like the MK13-SD will and do so with significantly less added weight.

If I was going full auto with a 308 though I'd definitely consider the SF SOCOM!

Great review. Would love to see the SF SOCOM compared to the KAC QDC. Almost identical weights, lengths and similar material used in making them.

On a side note, some of your info is inaccurate. The MK13-SD is indeed rated for 300WM and was also selected by the Navy for their MK-13s roughly 3 years ago. Not sure if you were also referring to the 300-TM in your review, but if so, it is also 300 WM rated. I'm pretty sure the 36 cans made before mine and the thousands that came after it are also rated for 300 WM...

Those comparisons IMO are somewhat apples to oranges as the MK13-SD is a grade 7 and 5 titanium can weighing in at 13.9 oz with more internal volume than the SOCOM or KAC. Their design intent are also different based purely on rate of fire as the titanium cans won't hold up well under full auto fire. The SOCOM with a baffle stack made of 718 Inconel with a SS tube is going to take that type of abuse. Not something I particularly need for my uses and with the additional weight plus inferior sound reduction (which were my top two priorities) I didn't see any value for the same price.

The most interesting thing is incorporating 300BLK. If you're shooting subs suppressed there's no need to worry about materials used, as the pressures and temps aren't significant compared to nearly anything else out there. If one considers the quietest possible set up in the shortest 300 BLK possible, it's hard to beat an 8.2" 300 BLK metering an avg of 119.4DBs like the MK13-SD will and do so with significantly less added weight.

If I was going full auto with a 308 though I'd definitely consider the SF SOCOM!

I did a few edits and it appears that I cut a HUGE part of that paragraph out so and one edit also snipped that line down big-time, it is indeed, now inaccurate. Apologies.

So allow me to explain.

I had 3/4 suppressors I was considering but, I really wanted a QDT. -- I live in CT and the threaded barrel + no device is quite the anomaly to the DESPP. So, I really wanted to avoid that headache.

When I called AAC, I was told that the MK13 was largely unavailable, I'd have to wait...They actually gave me a reason why and it was a legitimate reason, I actually gave them props for the reason, I just don't remember what it was (I made this call in like June 2013) but, the MK13-SD was still being considered. -- The 300-TM wouldn't work because it was direct thread.

When I called Gemtech, I was actually informed that neither the Sandstorm nor the Quicksand could handle the Win-Mag but, they were everything else I was looking for. -- This so happens to be when the concentric threads were dropping. There were 1/2 on AAC but, a TON of them on the Gemtech...Like a lot of them so, I had virtually ruled Gemtech out after reading the 2nd/3rd one.

Thunderbeast -- At the time, I did NOT go with the beast because there were serious mount issues. It also wasn't clear if it was cross compatible at the time...My class 3 said no...And at the TIME, that was enough for me.

Then I started my Surefire research and of course there really actually wasn't any. So I had to call around. I sent an email to a Military buddy that "knew" guys using the can and a few using the MK13-SD so, I sent 1 email, got like 10 back, some with "evidence" they were using it and a shit-ton of actual stories, telling me what they could about the can...But again, little to nothing on the internet. Still is little to nothing on the internet but, it is what it is. -- I still bullshit with like 5 of those guys...

4/5 became 2.

A few weeks past, then my buddy called me and he asked if I wanted "the rest"...Wow these guys are BORED, right? -- I said yeah, why not...He sent them.

Within "the rest" were a shit-ton of complaints guys had about the MK13-SD's QDT. It seems that for some, the threading was off and thus the teeth couldn't latch...Guys were getting debris (sand) in the teeth and they simply wouldn't latch onto the mounts...There was a guy that actually had the teeth sheer off but, his circumstances were rather unique as I understand it...So, that was a little worrying as a whole...But, it still shot like a "ninja"...

There were also a ton of guys bitching about the KAC suppressors -- Truth be told, these aren't available to 'civvies' or weren't at the time so, I have absolutely no information about anything. Zip, zero, nada.

Got more awesome stories about the SOCOM -- Of the 20ish I got, only 1 guy had an issue with the suppressor and it was after his rifle got knocked out of his hands and fell down a hill..."hill", right -- So a mountain?

The Mk13 and the SOCOM were the same price, actually -- It was just a question of which was better and which wouldn't shit the bed -- Of the like 6/7 reviews I got of the MK13, 5 of them had QDT issues...Of the 20+ SOCOM emails, 1 guy did and it's because he dropped his shit down a steep incline so, I went with the SOCOM.

Was that a biased decision? Oh fuck yes it was...There's a ton of MK13's out there but, little to no reviews...and there's still NOTHING on the SOCOMs so, I had to base my decision on what was available.

That's just what was available to me.

I did go out yesterday and put the MK13-SD through it's paces...I get it, it's a nice can...It is quieter. Doesn't quite have the first shot masking that the SOCOM does...Ratchet system is improved as I understand it...It IS lighter but, 3/4 OZ? Go lift some weights...Right? At the end of the day, it's a nice can but, even my buddy has issues still with the QDT occasionally...So can't quite say I have any regrets.

In my opinion, the best thing that we can do as a COMMUNITY, is start to review these products so, you don't have guys like me, emailing their buddy who, essentially emails an entire unit and then you get the most biased decision out there because they all hate Gemtech or hate SOCOM...So, start writing shit down...

--

Anyway...

Shot some 308 subsonic -- I get it...I do but, it's essentially a 300blk so, I'm just going to start reloading 300blk. -- Trail boss is hard to find but, I have plenty of the 300blk powders local to me -- Going to give this a shot over the next few weeks.

We actually got rained out after taking an ammo dump with his MK13 so, I really don't have all that much to report.

Next weekend is looking good so far...Let's hope it stays that way!

My SF SOCOM got out of ATF holding last month. I immediately installed it on my 6.5 CM barrel conversion for my Larue .308 PredatOBR:

IMG_3962.JPG

I've only had two range sessions with it, but my initial impressions are quite positive.

1. The suppressor and suppressor mount look and feel like quality.

2. I'm using the brake for my application. It is an excellent stand-alone muzzle brake that is not excessively loud and is capable of superlative accuracy.

3. The suppressor lock up on the muzzle device is extremely positive and consistent. Same for my 5.56 SOCOM I received at the same time. My experience as an individual are of course limited to the suppressors I own (7).

4. Back pressure is low enough that this particular rifle ran 100% with the adjustable gas block wide open for unsuppressed use.

5. This rifle - with me behind it - shoots slightly better groups suppressed. That could mean the gun shoots better suppressed. Or it could mean I shoot better suppressed. It's just far, far more enjoyable suppressed. If I were to tell you how well it shoots, you might not believe me …. and I might not blame you. So, let me just say this: The things you hear about 6.5 CM accuracy with Hornady 140 AMAX are true! And this is THE most accurate gas gun I've ever owned.

6. But, I kind of thought it would shoot. Here's the most surprising observation: This guns shoots to the same point of impact with the suppressor as without the suppressor. I anticipated that with this 24" long barrel only 0.745" in diameter ahead of the 14" gas system that I could have to deal with a significant POA/POI shift.

In summary, I'm immensely pleased with my initial impression of the SF SOCOM 7.62.

I did a few edits and it appears that I cut a HUGE part of that paragraph out so and one edit also snipped that line down big-time, it is indeed, now inaccurate. Apologies.

So allow me to explain.

I had 3/4 suppressors I was considering but, I really wanted a QDT. -- I live in CT and the threaded barrel + no device is quite the anomaly to the DESPP. So, I really wanted to avoid that headache.

When I called AAC, I was told that the MK13 was largely unavailable, I'd have to wait...They actually gave me a reason why and it was a legitimate reason, I actually gave them props for the reason, I just don't remember what it was (I made this call in like June 2013) but, the MK13-SD was still being considered. -- The 300-TM wouldn't work because it was direct thread.

When I called Gemtech, I was actually informed that neither the Sandstorm nor the Quicksand could handle the Win-Mag but, they were everything else I was looking for. -- This so happens to be when the concentric threads were dropping. There were 1/2 on AAC but, a TON of them on the Gemtech...Like a lot of them so, I had virtually ruled Gemtech out after reading the 2nd/3rd one.

Thunderbeast -- At the time, I did NOT go with the beast because there were serious mount issues. It also wasn't clear if it was cross compatible at the time...My class 3 said no...And at the TIME, that was enough for me.

Then I started my Surefire research and of course there really actually wasn't any. So I had to call around. I sent an email to a Military buddy that "knew" guys using the can and a few using the MK13-SD so, I sent 1 email, got like 10 back, some with "evidence" they were using it and a shit-ton of actual stories, telling me what they could about the can...But again, little to nothing on the internet. Still is little to nothing on the internet but, it is what it is. -- I still bullshit with like 5 of those guys...

4/5 became 2.

A few weeks past, then my buddy called me and he asked if I wanted "the rest"...Wow these guys are BORED, right? -- I said yeah, why not...He sent them.

Within "the rest" were a shit-ton of complaints guys had about the MK13-SD's QDT. It seems that for some, the threading was off and thus the teeth couldn't latch...Guys were getting debris (sand) in the teeth and they simply wouldn't latch onto the mounts...There was a guy that actually had the teeth sheer off but, his circumstances were rather unique as I understand it...So, that was a little worrying as a whole...But, it still shot like a "ninja"...

There were also a ton of guys bitching about the KAC suppressors -- Truth be told, these aren't available to 'civvies' or weren't at the time so, I have absolutely no information about anything. Zip, zero, nada.

Got more awesome stories about the SOCOM -- Of the 20ish I got, only 1 guy had an issue with the suppressor and it was after his rifle got knocked out of his hands and fell down a hill..."hill", right -- So a mountain?

The Mk13 and the SOCOM were the same price, actually -- It was just a question of which was better and which wouldn't shit the bed -- Of the like 6/7 reviews I got of the MK13, 5 of them had QDT issues...Of the 20+ SOCOM emails, 1 guy did and it's because he dropped his shit down a steep incline so, I went with the SOCOM.

Was that a biased decision? Oh fuck yes it was...There's a ton of MK13's out there but, little to no reviews...and there's still NOTHING on the SOCOMs so, I had to base my decision on what was available.

That's just what was available to me.

I did go out yesterday and put the MK13-SD through it's paces...I get it, it's a nice can...It is quieter. Doesn't quite have the first shot masking that the SOCOM does...Ratchet system is improved as I understand it...It IS lighter but, 3/4 OZ? Go lift some weights...Right? At the end of the day, it's a nice can but, even my buddy has issues still with the QDT occasionally...So can't quite say I have any regrets.

In my opinion, the best thing that we can do as a COMMUNITY, is start to review these products so, you don't have guys like me, emailing their buddy who, essentially emails an entire unit and then you get the most biased decision out there because they all hate Gemtech or hate SOCOM...So, start writing shit down...

--

Anyway...

Shot some 308 subsonic -- I get it...I do but, it's essentially a 300blk so, I'm just going to start reloading 300blk. -- Trail boss is hard to find but, I have plenty of the 300blk powders local to me -- Going to give this a shot over the next few weeks.

We actually got rained out after taking an ammo dump with his MK13 so, I really don't have all that much to report.

Next weekend is looking good so far...Let's hope it stays that way!

I hear you man, no worries. Sometimes finding info on some of this stuff - not to mention real-life experience - is next to impossible. This is exactly why there should be an annual Snipers Hide Silencer Shoot!!! Everyone gets to try everything on a bunch of different hosts and calibers, mess around with the different attachment mechanisms, etc. I would think that both suppressor MFGers and dealers would certainly be interested in something like that as well. Who knows, maybe some day....

My SF SOCOM got out of ATF holding last month. I immediately installed it on my 6.5 CM barrel conversion for my Larue .308 PredatOBR:

IMG_3962.JPG

I've only had two range sessions with it, but my initial impressions are quite positive.

1. The suppressor and suppressor mount look and feel like quality.

2. I'm using the brake for my application. It is an excellent stand-alone muzzle brake that is not excessively loud and is capable of superlative accuracy.

3. The suppressor lock up on the muzzle device is extremely positive and consistent. Same for my 5.56 SOCOM I received at the same time. My experience as an individual are of course limited to the suppressors I own (7).

4. Back pressure is low enough that this particular rifle ran 100% with the adjustable gas block wide open for unsuppressed use.

5. This rifle - with me behind it - shoots slightly better groups suppressed. That could mean the gun shoots better suppressed. Or it could mean I shoot better suppressed. It's just far, far more enjoyable suppressed. If I were to tell you how well it shoots, you might not believe me …. and I might not blame you. So, let me just say this: The things you hear about 6.5 CM accuracy with Hornady 140 AMAX are true! And this is THE most accurate gas gun I've ever owned.

6. But, I kind of thought it would shoot. Here's the most surprising observation: This guns shoots to the same point of impact with the suppressor as without the suppressor. I anticipated that with this 24" long barrel only 0.745" in diameter ahead of the 14" gas system that I could have to deal with a significant POA/POI shift.

In summary, I'm immensely pleased with my initial impression of the SF SOCOM 7.62.

MSTN, you're stupid dude. I a good way though! that is a nasty set up right there. I havent seen a single rifle posted from you that wouldn't run at least $8k. Very, very jealous of this one here. Is that LRAs new light tactical bipod?

Thanks for the write up. With the addition of my SOCOM762-RC and SOCOM556-RC, I now have SIX SureFire suppressors. For my money there is no better suppressor on the market!

On a side note, I remember hearing surefire say they were going to be releasing a .300BLK specific suppressor sometime this year, has anyone heard anything about that? I can only find one mention of it online and that was with a video as well.

MSTN, you're stupid dude. I a good way though! �� that is a nasty set up right there. I havent seen a single rifle posted from you that wouldn't run at least $8k. Very, very jealous of this one here. Is that LRAs new light tactical bipod?

This is one really worth lusting after. I like it even better than when it was a .308 - and I really, really liked it, then!

Yes, the LRA Light Tactical. It really is light, too.

Last edited:
What are everyone's thoughts with the 7.62 SOCOM shooting subs?

I'm gonna say it because it needs said. The SOCOM is a great can... as long as it's on a semi-auto. On bolt guns it is a LOT louder than the Legacy cans. The SOCOM-RC was designed primarily for machine gun fire and minimal flash on semi-autos. As a result it doesn't IMO perform as well on bolt rifles. So if someone is considering a new can for primarily bolt actions they may want to reconsider looking at the Legacy line instead.

I'm gonna say it because it needs said. The SOCOM is a great can... as long as it's on a semi-auto. On bolt guns it is a LOT louder than the Legacy cans. The SOCOM-RC was designed primarily for machine gun fire and minimal flash on semi-autos. As a result it doesn't IMO perform as well on bolt rifles. So if someone is considering a new can for primarily bolt actions they may want to reconsider looking at the Legacy line instead.

I think you're confused.

SOCOM Sound Suppressors (Silencers)

They make a can specifically FOR full auto that to my understanding has completely different baffles but [MENTION=31216]Kudu22[/MENTION] - I'm sure he can differentiate the two.

What I can say is that MOST of the information I got for this can was from guys using the MK13 or similar and I'm having awesome results shooting 300WM with it. In fact, we shot it this afternoon and it was simply awesome.

Again, I'm not an expert but, I very much believe that SureFire SOCOM762-MG Sound Suppressor / Silencer is very different from SureFire SOCOM762-RC Sound Suppressor / Rifle Silencer -- Maybe that's just me?

Not saying you're wrong but, it would seem to me that if someone shot one of the other, the experience would be quite different.

Per my bolt actions -- The can is performing incredibly well!

He is not confused. Nick just described the design intent a little too generically. He's implying that there is no need for a heavier can with stainless steel tube and inconel (or similar) baffle stack on a rig that doesn't have a high rate of fire. They're designed for semiauto rate of fire as a result of heat transmission that will traditionally render a titanium can a bad choice. On a bolt gun however, a titanium can is the best choice for both sound suppression, accuracy (generally speaking), and weight. I would never suggest someone buy a SS can for a bolt gun unless there are multiple hosts.

He is not confused. Nick just described the design intent a little too generically. He's implying that there is no need for a heavier can with stainless steel tube and inconel (or similar) baffle stack on a rig that doesn't have a high rate of fire. They're designed for semiauto rate of fire as a result of heat transmission that will traditionally render a titanium can a bad choice. On a bolt gun however, a titanium can is the best choice for both sound suppression, accuracy (generally speaking), and weight. I would never suggest someone buy a SS can for a bolt gun unless there are multiple hosts.

Gotcha...Apologies [MENTION=52175]-Nick-[/MENTION] then.

Gotcha...Apologies [MENTION=52175]-Nick-[/MENTION] then.

No worries brotha. You know what, I'd say that the choice isn't all that bad though depending on future plans. If you - with a Surefire SOCOM RC - decide to jump on a deal for a semi in 243, 6.5CM, 7mm-08, 308, etc then you're already set on your can. Where as, like myself, I have to wait around for another year to throw a QDC on my 308. It makes it even worse when it's a 12" 308. You're pretty golden with a SOCOM. You're only giving up 5-6 ounces anyway....you can just do more with it as a result of the material used to make it.

Gotcha...Apologies @-Nick- then.

No worries. I wasn't trying to get into technical data. My friend has the RC and I have the SS so we shot the SOCOM we noticed how loud it was and when I messaged Garin(Kudu) he explained it in a little more technical but somewhat the same terms I did.

Add: I also want to make it clear that I never said the RC wasn't accurate. I'm simply saying based upon my experience with both cans and what was told by Surefire the RC is louder than the SS and it is in part to do with the design and intent of the RC.

Last edited:

I wasn't trying to imply anything. I was relaying what I was told by Garin when I asked him why the RC can we have was so loud on a bolt compared to my SS which is a lot quieter. Granted I did generalize it and not get into anything technical because I'm not equipped with the data or knowledge to explain it.

Hey Masked,
When you say you shot 300 BLK, was that with supers or subs? Because my 7.62 RC experience with subs out of an AR15 and bolt action is different. I don't think I would shoot it with subs with out ear pro....it seemed pretty loud. And the whole point of 300BLK is for it to be quiet. So I would like to hear any ones first hand experience shooting the RC with subs. Because I'm thinking that subs really isn't the RC's strong point. It then would also make sense why Surefire is designing a new 300BLK suppressor.

Hey Masked,
When you say you shot 300 BLK, was that with supers or subs? Because my 7.62 RC experience with subs out of an AR15 and bolt action is different. I don't think I would shoot it with subs with out ear pro....it seemed pretty loud. And the whole point of 300BLK is for it to be quiet. So I would like to hear any ones first hand experience shooting the RC with subs. Because I'm thinking that subs really isn't the RC's strong point. It then would also make sense why Surefire is designing a new 300BLK suppressor.

Supers.

What I'm finding is that on the SOCOM there's a pressure where it "bottoms out".

Per the 300blk, I tried subs this weekend and was not very impressed...Definitely not as much as I thought I'd be.

However with Supers, it performed very well.

So, I believe, personally, that it is a pressure "issue" with the subs...I might try different loads and guesstimate it myself...

I've read and heard similar things about the 762RC with subs, and since they seem to have designed a can for that purpose entirely it stands to reason that they know about that issue. Not a big deal as long as you know what to expect going in though. From what I understand though their .300blk specific can is ridiculously quiet.

I've read and heard similar things about the 762RC with subs, and since they seem to have designed a can for that purpose entirely it stands to reason that they know about that issue. Not a big deal as long as you know what to expect going in though. From what I understand though their .300blk specific can is ridiculously quiet.

Just elaborating a bit -- Took the 300wm/Ar15/MK11 out this past weekend...My buddy brought his lot and the MK13...Soooooo much ammo :p

What we found as the load got hotter was that the SOCOM did better suppressing the round -- As the pressure increased, the suppressor just did better and better.

The MK13-SD was quieter but, as the rounds got hotter, the flash/kick-up increased quite a bit. Did it still suppress the sound? Yes...But, it stayed the same throughout.

*We also had an issue with follow up shots...The 2nd and 3rd shots within 10s of each-other were spreading out rather drastically...Perhaps the load was too hot? Can got too hot? We'll figure it out.*

Now per the subsonics, we found that the SOCOM was significantly less effective than on regular 300blk...Now that's not to say it's not suppressing it because it is but, we're talking about 20db as opposed to the 30-35 we experienced with 5.56.

The MK13-SD didn't do really well on the 300blk and was surpassed by the SOCOM in everything for the 5.56 rounds.

**My buddy had asked about 5.56 being suppressed via the MK13-SD after our first trip to the range and got an email that basically said it wasn't designed for smaller calibers, only meant for low rate of fire and he shouldn't expect good results...Something else about damage...Injury - bla bla bla**

So, needless to say, we didn't put 5.56 through the MK13-SD and he doesn't intend to, anymore...So we just did an ammo dump with the SOCOM...All I've got to say is WEEEEEEeeeeEEEEEeeeeeee.

I'm willing to test out ammo - That's reasonable -- If anyone has some requests...I also left the damned camera I had bought at wally world at home. :mad:

If anyone has some Q's lmk.

Thanks for taking the time to provide the reviews and information. Like you stated, not much out there in terms of personal use. If you were making the purchase again would you go with something quieter like the SWR Specwar?

Thanks for taking the time to provide the reviews and information. Like you stated, not much out there in terms of personal use. If you were making the purchase again would you go with something quieter like the SWR Specwar?

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Considering what/how AAC responded about my buddy's Mk13-SD Q...I would've been out of that race a lot faster...I understand WHY, it was made for a bolt gun but, that just doesn't suit my uses.

When I was picking a can I wanted the best all around can out there and I think the SOCOM delivers.

I think the Mk13-SD is fantastic if you're on a bolt action -- Shooting precision at 20-30s intervals...

I really like the fact that the SOCOM can handle rapid fire...That opens up my options tremendously without having to buy another can.

I've not done research on a Specwar or shot one so I don't want to give any misconceptions but, I think each can really has a purpose and you should do your research before you buy one.

For example, the MK13 with the HOT AS HELL 300wm rounds -- I think the MK13 just got way too hot too fast...And I think we just didn't give it enough time to cool off -- That's not the can's fault.

The MK13-SD is also supposed to be really good with 300blk -- I just don't think we had the right loads.

We're doing some load development now so, I'll get some pics down the road.

Please tell me what stock that is and where I may find one, thanks in advance.

Shot a 7.62RC on a 20in .308 bolt gun next to a 7.62SS on .308 16in Semi with the same ammo... the RC was WAY louder not inpressed at all.. feels like surefire took a step back.. but the RC has less internal volumebut can be mounted on a larger barrel without having to be profiled... and we have shot the RC on a semi16 inch 308 I didn't think it was too quiet in that role either...

I would personally consider the 7.62 RC not even an option when it comes to 300 win mag... just to loud

Last edited:
Shot a 7.62RC on a 20in .308 bolt gun next to a 7.62SS on .308 16in Semi with the same ammo... the RC was WAY louder not inpressed at all.. feels like surefire took a step back.. but the RC has less internal volumebut can be mounted on a larger barrel without having to be profiled... and we have shot the RC on a semi16 inch 308 I didn't think it was too quiet in that role either...

I would personally consider the 7.62 RC not even an option when it comes to 300 win mag... just to loud

See, for me -- I understand that it's not as quiet as other options but, I feel as if the pros outweigh the cons.

For example: We saw horrible performance from the MK13-SD on 5.56 -- In fact, we were told that putting 5.56 through it was basically voiding the warranty (I explained that in the previous post)...It's also not great for quick follow up shots...In fact, in our experience, it was horrible with quick follow ups of a hot 300wm load.

We did an ammo dump with the Socom -- Functioned flawlessly. Quick follow up shots were practically hole in hole...

I realize we're not at war but, we have yet to see a flash from the Socom...And there's little to no ground disturbance from the shot.

Now, obviously, I only have real experience with 2 cans...This weekend, another buddy is bringing along his trove and I'll grab some pics...But, that being said, I'm biased, obviously.

For me, the big thing is being able to just QA/QD it and go...On any 30-less caliber...Will it suppress them all perfectly? No...Like I've said, the Mk13-SD is a lot quieter...But, the ability to rapid-fire and not lose any performance through the string while it's still being suppressed = Priceless.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy btw, I'm just sharing my experience for what I have used -- Again, I've only used 2 suppressors to date...Plan on using many more but, my experiences with the SOCOM are great thus far.

Last edited:
So, on Sunday, took my SOCOM 7.62 RC out to the range with a few buddies and between us, had about 10 cans on hand...20 different rifles...About 10 different calibers.

Barring a diatribe/book here, I'm going to report about what I remember.

First and foremost - I'm very turned off by Titanium cans. -- The Phantom and the MK13-SD were on hand and quite frankly, I find them to be very underwhelming. They get extremely hot and POI shifts once they're hot are quite drastic...Definitely not for continuous/rapid fire...And we had some issues with hot loads and immediate follow up shots...So if you're a hunter or shooting on a bench, those are all for you.

The big thing I found is that all performance varied by pressure...IE each can is essentially made for a pressure window...And if you venture out of that window, your performance scales negatively.

I specifically compared the YHM LTA with the Socom 7.62RC.

The YHM is rated for much less pressure than the Socom so, it actually did better suppressing most of the calibers under 300wm...

Per the 308 - The YHM did suppress the round better but, flash was VERY evident and ground disturbance was significant.

Per the 300blk - Same, YHM suppressed better but, flash and disturbance were significant. HOWEVER, as I got into the hotter 300blk's, the Socom was dead even...So, pressure window theory, +1.

Per 5.56 - The 7.62RC crushed it...Bigtime. Suppressed better, no flash and very little disturbance.

-- We also tested the 300wm.

We did a side by side comparison of the MK13-SD and the Socom 7.62 RC.

The Socom OVERALL out-performed the MK13-SD however, the MK13 was much quieter.

Follow up shots with the Mk13SD WERE an issue...With the Socom, they were not.

~~

So, I kind of want to draw a conclusion on this entire review/debate.

I think that you should do your research prior to buying a suppressor and I'm really glad this thread is here WITH this debate so that more information can get out there.

If I were a bench-rest shooter or a hunter with a 300wm, I'd go with the MK13-SD all day long. - It suppresses 30cal really well but, you can't shoot strings...And shooting 5.56 is a no bueno.

If I were "only" shooting 30cal and did not have a 300wm, I'd probably go with the YHM 7.62LTA. - It loses some umph in the 5.56 category but, still does a decent job.

If I had a 300wm, 5.56 and everything in-between, I'd go with the Socom.

If I were shooting low pressure, especially subs, I'd go with the AAC SR-7.

However, it ultimately depends on your needs.

The Socom has a bad rep because it doesn't suppress as well as other suppressors and this is true but, I can't do an ammo dump with a MK13-SD. I can't shoot the LTA without seeing a shit ton of flash and ground disturbance, first round pop is pretty big too...I can't shoot a hot 308 208 Amax from the SR-7 without practically a ball of flame shooting out of the muzzle...

I can however expect all of the high pressure rounds to be somewhat suppressed. I can expect little to NO flash...I can expect LITTLE TO NO ground disturbance...I can rapid fire the living shit out of the Socom 7.62rc...I can also follow up with the RC back to back if necessary without a worry.

I feel that you shouldn't buy the Socom 7.62 RC purely for suppressing a round because there are better cans out there that do that...The Socom is a BATTLE READY SUPPRESSOR, that suppresses okay but, does everything else, better than anything else on the market.

Again -- Not trying to be a fanboy but, after dropping 1k+ rounds down range on Sunday, it's very easy to see why some people prefer the LTA, or the Phantom...Or the MK13-SD and I get it, it suits your needs...That's why you should buy a suppressor...Not because the Socom sounds awesome...

That's a great write up right there Masked. That's EXACTLY what anyone should be thinking about before buying a can. All were designed with different original intent. You absolutely have to break down and prioritize all of aspects one considers important in a suppressor, the host rifle, rate of fire, pressure levels, attachment mechanism, etc and make the call from there.

Believe me, its worth taking the time to understand each detail at a granular level to ensure you're happy and buy the can best suited to your application and general needs. You'll be stuck with that choice for many, many years to come...

That's a great write up right there Masked. That's EXACTLY what anyone should be thinking about before buying a can. All were designed with different original intent. You absolutely have to break down and prioritize all of aspects one considers important in a suppressor, the host rifle, rate of fire, pressure levels, attachment mechanism, etc and make the call from there.

Believe me, its worth taking the time to understand each detail at a granular level to ensure you're happy and buy the can best suited to your application and general needs. You'll be stuck with that choice for many, many years to come...

Thanks man.

I'm one of those people that took the advice of soldiers, in the battlefield and I came out with the Socom. For ME, I feel that it was the best option because I went in knowing the trade-offs...But, everyone has different needs and I feel those that bought the Socom SPECIFICALLY for suppression are buying it for the wrong reasons...

A lot of what I see outside of the hide is, "This suppressor can't suppress worth a shit, it's LOUD"...Well, yea...First you're shooting low pressure rounds...You also bought it for the wrong reason if you're complaining about noise levels...

I love this suppressor but, I also understand what it is. I feel that most people, don't -- So the more information we can get out there, the better.

One of the best reviews and comparisons I've read in a long time, thank you!

Thank you.

Sir, since you're in this business, I have a question.

I'm really just curious.

One of the guys that came to the range, is active duty, he brought about 10 suppressors...One thing we talked about was pressure...He was really into it, actually -- My understanding is that the current load might change in regards to 300wm so, we had a long discussion about it.

I realize most of the general public doesn't understand this so, I understand why it's not yet been done but, I'd imagine that MOST of us that own cans reload so, it's actually rather important information...

Why hasn't anyone tested cans level of suppression by pressure, yet?

It seems to me that this would be fairly easy to test...Just make 3 loads per caliber. Hot, medium, sub. Run 10 rounds through each can - BAM - Pressure test complete.

It wouldn't be an end-all test, obviously but, since we can relate all powders to the most popular via velocity, it would give you pretty much a dead on idea of what can you should buy.

For example:
*The MK13SD roofed with a hot 300wm H1000 208 amax -- In fact, we got worried we were going to ruin the can. - I think this is mostly a heat issue but, I'm sure there are much less harsher powders out there to do the testing with. - Maybe 4831SC for the sake of velocity? But, we didn't push our luck. We did run Hornady TAP through it without a hiccup and was suppressed beautifully but, again there were some trade-offs...Like not being able to follow up immediately with a huge POI.
*The Socom took it like a champ and actually scaled...But, the Socom sucks with low pressure...For example subs -- Not going to see too much benefit.
*The TB30BA we had on hand handled low pressure "okay" and high pressure "okay" but, the middle was where it peaked...Subs ran okay...We didn't roof it because he felt we were capable of blowing out the baffles but, it's definitely a middle of the road can.
*The SR7 did horribly with high pressure and incredibly well with low pressure...Would not DARE put a high pressure 308 through this...but, subs were unbelievable.
*The Phantom did awesome on a bolt gun, especially with high pressure but, once it hit the semi's it was ehhhhhh...Even high/low -- I'm assuming that's because of the baffling. I did drop a few LIGHT 300wm rounds through the phantom -- It did meh.

The VAST MAJORITY of suppressor "reviews" on youtube only use 1 kind of ammo -- That's kind of bullshit.

M193 is is very different from M855. I see tests with guys running M193 then talking shit about the can when it's actually meant for something like the M855...Had the idiot just swapped ammo, he'd have awesome performance.

I reload the MK 262 almost exclusively but, we ran M193 and M855 at the range...Didn't do a formal test, just what we had on hand. (Which btw, once you start reloading Mk262, actually gets the round down to 25c/per - I wouldn't reload M193 and M855 because of how cheaply available they are but the Mk262 is expensive if you buy retail)...

Most of these reviewers are using surplus 223...Which per any test is low pressure garbage.

The 308's are a little different because of the pressure of the 308 vs. 7.62 but, I still think more could be done...

I reload M198 and Mk13 Mod 0.

Most of the videos are done without even using TAP or a standard load so you get these tests running garbage 308 through a can that's designed for high pressure...And of course, it's just doing okay but, it's kind of :confused:.

I think that if a vendor/dealer actually did a review like that...It'd go an incredibly long way per the industry because a large majority of people buying cans are mostly uninformed. Not only is there very little information on some of these cans but, they're at large buying them for COMPLETELY the wrong reasons...

Sorry for the wall of text, just seems interesting that nobody has done that yet considering the can's performance is 100% dependent on the ammo that's going through it.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Sir, since you're in this business, I have a question.....

Why hasn't anyone tested cans level of suppression by pressure, yet?
I have to admit, I do not know the answer to your question. That would be better answered by the manufacturers I think.

You bring up excellent points; we check for high pressure signs when we develop load data, why not test pressure+sound level on the suppressor? Would seem the whole system (rifle, suppressor and load) be tested for best performance. There are trade-offs, of course: velocity vs. accuracy vs. decibels and which takes priority will change for any particular user. In that respect, I can see where "X suppresses best at y pressure" would be beneficial when building a system.

I did come across an article by Dr. Dater from 2011 that discusses the subject. The Sounds of Silence: Part 4

Chris

I have to admit, I do not know the answer to your question. That would be better answered by the manufacturers I think.

You bring up excellent points; we check for high pressure signs when we develop load data, why not test pressure+sound level on the suppressor? Would seem the whole system (rifle, suppressor and load) be tested for best performance. There are trade-offs, of course: velocity vs. accuracy vs. decibels and which takes priority will change for any particular user. In that respect, I can see where "X suppresses best at y pressure" would be beneficial when building a system.

I did come across an article by Dr. Dater from 2011 that discusses the subject. The Sounds of Silence: Part 4

Chris

Cool, thanks man.

I'd definitely be interested in doing it, myself, for the Socom/Mk13-SD since I know my buddy would be in but, we don't really have any of the fancy equipment.

It just seems pretty obvious that load development is a pretty big factor when using a can...Maybe it's just me?

:D

Thanks for the article, I'll give it a read!

Does anyone have a picture they could post of the Socom 7.62 mounted on a SBR, say like the MK18? If you could put it next to say the socom 556 rc that would be even better. Thanks guys

Does anyone have a picture they could post of the Socom 7.62 mounted on a SBR, say like the MK18? If you could put it next to say the socom 556 rc that would be even better. Thanks guys

Here is the picture you wanted. The top is a MK18 MOD0 upper with a 10.3 inch barrel and the SOCOM762RC. The bottom is a 10.3 inch LWRC upper with the SOCOM556RC on it.

Suppressors_zpsb27e8406.jpg